Nvidia Turing Graphics Cards (Quadro RTX and GeForce RTX)

Antarctica
TRAPPIST-1g
ProjectWHaT
The Quadro RTX line of GPUs have just been announced and a teaser for the GeForce RTX 2080 has been revealed.

The new Turing architecture uses 3 different parts: a normal shading processor like Pascal GPUs, RT Core which is used for ray tracing, and a Tensor Core that is used for deep learning. It is the world's first ray trace GPU and they claim it is the biggest leap since CUDA. Ray tracing is a different way of rendering. Currently, all games use rasterization. Ray tracing allows for photo-realistic renderings, global illumination being one of the main things rasterization was not able to produce.

7VBuh8Z3R5TQ2DxMU7Zhm5.jpg

ww2BaAPXn3fR5gCzFaCTDX.jpg

Quadro_RTX_8000_678x452.jpg

The main push with the new ray tracing GPUs is that it is now possible to create real time photo-realistic renderings which is incredibly useful for content creators such as architecture, animators (like Pixar), designers, etc. which is a $250 billion industry according to Nvidia. The following trailer for the 991 Speedster was shown during the conference and they claim is was being rendered in realtime, not a video, no pre-baked shaders or whatever.

Here's the teaser for the GeForce RTX 2080 which will be revealed on the 20th.

Quite excited about this. Ray Tracing in real time creates such a significant difference in terms of lighting and atmosphere. Just check out how an otherwise unmodified version of Quake looks like when the lighting is being done mathematically, even if it is a lower resolution attempt:

Is real-time raytracing about to actually become viable for widespread use in games? If so, exciting stuff... Hopefully my 1080 can last me until this kinda tech becomes semi-affordable. :P

Ehh, looks like both. Im guessing that the list in the OP are for workstations, but the second video is undoubtably a gaming card teaser.

Ehh, looks like both. Im guessing that the list in the OP are for workstations, but the second video is undoubtably a gaming card teaser.
Quadro cards are for workstations and servers while GeForce cards are for gaming

Current rumor says that the high end cards (2070, 2080, 2080+) will have ray tracing cores with a RTX designation, while low end cards (2050, 2060) will not and will have a GTX designation

So this is the new GeForce gaming card (not talking about the workstation cards)? I thought the GTX1180 was the next gaming card.

The first seconds of the Ferrari 458 trailer is still the most realistic shot taken by Poly. Is it some king of ray tracing?

Looks pretty sweet. I’ll sit this one out though, and not just because I’m broke... i’d like to wait for the hardware and software to mature a bit first.

I hope that ray tracing doesn't affect performance too bad like hair works and PhysX does.

Considering there's dedicated silicon for the RTX stuff, I don't imagine it should adversely affect performance too much. Theoretically it might even improve performance. But I guess we'll see...

I'm interested to see how XV looks with a coat of RTX paint.

I hope that ray tracing doesn't affect performance too bad like hair works and PhysX does.

To be fair, hair works was largely an optimization issue (read: AMD exclusivity; I miss my HD 6950...even though I still have it :lol: ) and I can't recall when it was resolved (probably Witcher 3?), but it's nowhere near the issue now that it was then. PhysX is a mixed bag and always has been. This? I expect it won't impact things *too* much but it isn't going to be smooth sailings either.

Last edited:
It seems like it can be turned off and on and the new GPUs have a specific section dedicated for RTX. So I'm assuming it shouldn't impact other performance that much

I'm interested in seeing how these will perform as an eGPU. I have a laptop with a GTX 1080 but get's super hot and loud, which is fine some times, but when I'm using it on the sofa while the missues is watching TV, I would like (I am told) to make it quieter. It's the GPU that gets the fans up to full speed not the CPU, which is a 7700k running at 4.4ghz, that get's hot, but not soo hot the fans go full blast.

I'm thinking a RTX 2080 eGPU should be an upgrade and take the stain off the laptop somewhat which will solve the loudness. I'd also like to see how Thunderbolt 3 would cope with a RTX 2080, it's possible I'll have to wait for Thunderbolt 4 and buy a new laptop and an eGPU. The idea of an eGPU is appealing because the GPU can be upgraded unlike most laptops.

So it sounds like it does affect performance to turn RTX on, but not in the usual sense. There's dedicated silicon for the RTX features, so it doesn't lower performance in the same way that turning on other graphics features might... but at the same time, the RTX stuff isn't as blisteringly fast at what it does as the more traditional rasterization, so your performance will be capped/bottlenecked by it.

Or in other words, if the game is already only running at ~30 FPS, turning on RTX shouldn't incur a performance hit. But if the game was running at 144 FPS with RTX off, turning it on might essentially cap your FPS at ~30 because the RTX features simply cannot run nearly that fast. (And if a game is somehow running at ~15 FPS with RTX off, turning it on might actually improve performance)

I'm actually not interested in this card for Ray Tracing. I'm interested because it is new and faster than the previous cards.

I'm still interested in VR AND triple monitor setup. I guess that my current GTX970 won't cut it when I want to play ACC in full glory on a triple monitor or a OC.

The first seconds of the Ferrari 458 trailer is still the most realistic shot taken by Poly. Is it some king of ray tracing?

That seems unlikely; the mirror doesn't reflect in the door at 00:36-00:37. If it were rendered using ray tracing you'd expect to see the mirror housing reflecting in the upper door panel like you would in real life.

Ive been following Linus Tech Tips videos on the RTX cards. They are doing some crazy things with that card. Their latest video using it to get the highest 3dmark (I think) score did a good job show casing what the card can do.
It may be the crazy strong beer I just drank talking, but I gotta say, I've been a gaming/computer/electronics nerd for over 3 decades. As a little kid playing berserk and pitfall on the 2600 from Atari (did anyone ever get past that bloody fox looking guy in indiana Jones? I could never get passed that level no matter what I tried) I've been hardcore into gaming. I can even remember the first American Nintendo commercial. With the gyromite robot and the house blasting off. In my youth, I never had the newest consoles, not until ps2. But I pulled in the good ones. Sega, with the first gen segacd unit, and 32x! I had this game warmonger. Probably in the top 10 for most under rated games of all time. My crowning gaming achievement I think is beating level ten speed ten on game mode a (look, it was that long ago. It was the top level, top speed on the not free play mode, either a or b.)
Anyway. To have grown in life with and watched computers and gaming grow to where it is today, and where it has the potential of going in my life time. It has been an amazing Adventure.

I wonder if real time ray tracing is going to be 'the thing' for next generation consoles. I'm not sure what else is really marketable.

PSX - 3D yo!
PS2 - DVD!
PS3 - HD baby!
PS4 - 4k!!!!! VR!!!!!
PS5 - RTX!!!!
PS6 - ???
PS7 - REAL LIFE!!!

I wonder if real time ray tracing is going to be 'the thing' for next generation consoles. I'm not sure what else is really marketable.

PSX - 3D yo!
PS2 - DVD!
PS3 - HD baby!
PS4 - 4k!!!!! VR!!!!!
PS5 - RTX!!!!
PS6 - ???
PS7 - REAL LIFE!!!

PS4 doesn't even do VR well enough IMO. Tried GTS VR and couldn't stand it because of the long distance blurriness and how painful it is to set everything up with cables going everywhere. If PS5 can do wireless VR with resolution matching current non-VR games I'd say that's more important than RTX.

Then PS6 can do RTX, PS7 will do fully immersive VR/AR like Ready Player One, and PS8 we will all join together in consciousness and reach singularity (sideways 8 = infinity, geddit?).

OK, I'll stop :P

PS4 doesn't even do VR well enough IMO. Tried GTS VR and couldn't stand it because of the long distance blurriness and how painful it is to set everything up with cables going everywhere. If PS5 can do wireless VR with resolution matching current non-VR games I'd say that's more important than RTX.

Then PS6 can do RTX, PS7 will do fully immersive VR/AR like Ready Player One, and PS8 we will all join together in consciousness and reach singularity (sideways 8 = infinity, geddit?).

OK, I'll stop :P
Thats not necessarily Sonys fault. It's the same with the Rift and the Vive. The limitation right now is pixel density on the screens being used which are basically cell phone displays. The ps4, pro in particular, has the power for VR.

That seems unlikely; the mirror doesn't reflect in the door at 00:36-00:37. If it were rendered using ray tracing you'd expect to see the mirror housing reflecting in the upper door panel like you would in real life.

Depends on the number of paths - it might pick up an environment reflection map at that point.

Thats not necessarily Sonys fault. It's the same with the Rift and the Vive. The limitation right now is pixel density on the screens being used which are basically cell phone displays. The ps4, pro in particular, has the power for VR.

Cutting edge systems increase density in the area that the eye is looking at. Expensive though.

Back