Oceania now split from Asia - horrible decision

• Thread starter resarf
  • 200 comments
this is bad just bad, tried 3 race on morning usual easily reach peak about 11 or 14 people on track but only 1 race reach the peak.

Gran_TurismoSPORT_20181206075135.png

only filled with bunch of Japanese from A to D

Gran_TurismoSPORT_20181206081132.png

only get 9 on 8.30AM
For me it supposed to be easy to fill the quota after 7AM onwards. Who have idea for this really? I heard people on reddit tried push this sometimes ago but since I never come to there I can't verify that's real or not.

My in game ping has gone from 250ish ms to 18 ms. Probably safe to assume Aus/NZ has it's own server now.

I've never really had any issues with lag and none of my OS friends have ever said anything, but my 1st lap of Brazil last night... WOW is this how the rest of the world have been playing all along? Felt like a massive difference immediately, but I'll need a few more races under my belt to be sure.

Should have our own leaderboards now because if we can't race asia then the times mean nothing.
Might as well show us the world wide boards instead.

I still wonder with low numbers, players will be more respectful. Knowing they'll likely see the same players for a few consecutive races. Like I mentioned, I haven't run a race yet, but anyone here seeing the same players nearly every race?

I still wonder with low numbers, players will be more respectful. Knowing they'll likely see the same players for a few consecutive races. Like I mentioned, I haven't run a race yet, but anyone here seeing the same players nearly every race?
Just done 2 with the exact same top7

Well 05XR8, I did 2 race Bs last night and 2 tonight during peak hour. Fields of 14-15 cars with near half the same players in consecutive races.
Must say it's been an etiquette tour de force (sr in the 90's and dr:b)

My observations,
Matched with a much larger field of fellow dr:Bs than typical
I'm qualifying about 5 spots worse than average but finishing about 2-3 spots better?
2 to 3 new guys in every race say"WTF, where the asians go?" lol
Super fun clean professional driving.

I guess it'll take a week or so to see how this really pans out, have to see what the weekends like and the 3 to 4am timeslots and everything inbetween.

I was super sceptical about this deal at first, but I'll hold of on making a judgement for now.

Seeing a lot of the same players every race.

Driving standards arent really any better than before IMO. In my races the gap is being plugged by SR C/D drivers so why would you expect it to be clean?

I'm seeing the same top half of the grid a lot, usually pretty respectful if you can keep up with the train through T1 - if you get bumped, it is hell at the back with the SR C/D/E's for pretty much the whole race. To be expected I guess.

Had a Daily race B with 5 across the finish line this evening...

I'm not saying right away. The more we race the same group of players, something has to give. Like a "real" local race series. You'll still have knuckleheads, but for the most part, knowing we'll race the same players, we can get to see more how each player races.
It will be a different experience.

As a quick example: I usually see a player in Gr.4 racing the same "Tickford" Mustang. Usually at the back. Races fair. I more often than not, see one of the faster players on pole or 2nd. After a race that I've moved up on the podium or come from lower places and made up many spots, the player always texts, "@Spacedustdaddy Well done!". Having more races with such players, can usually make the grid rise higher in race craft. again, we'll see.

It's good if they have invested in a new server in the Australian region - however I just hope they also invest in at least 1 Australian car in a future DLC to go with it, which should assist in boosting player numbers a bit.

The lack of Australian cars is the one thing that makes me regret not having Forza and its excellent selection of Australian cars.

Wow, downloading as I speak. No Japanese/Asian now, crikey, that's a turn up for the books.
Have complained about some Asian drivers in the past how one would sometimes drop back to block or send you off the track if the first two were Japanese and you appeared threatening.

Not being able to read the Asian drivers comments was the other thing I didn't like, they all should have been translated I reckon.

Oh well, we'll see how it all pans out in the fullness of time.

dividing SouthAmerican from North America is also a terrible decision...why do they do this change??
i cant see the good side of this....

positive
More room on servers?

negative
Rooms with 10 or less people
Terrible Lag al least for mexican players.
Just a few A+ players so FIA races will be very low points.

Why dont leave it open? so you can chosse the region you want to compete like any other game?

Attachments

• 3E9018AE-443E-454F-B0EB-53CEE32F382C.JPG
    3E9018AE-443E-454F-B0EB-53CEE32F382C.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 29
I know the thread title is about AUS/NZ but I want to shed some light on what is happening in the Americas since Latin America is the other region that was ripped out and isolated. As everyone knows (because I am constantly beating a dead horse in various threads about this) I am a US citizen with permanent residence in Argentina. Up until now I have been racing with my USA account. My connection was always stable and decent but with a reasonably high latency given that I am in Patagonia. I always had the #3 yellow bar, with occasional visits to green #4 and orange #2. I asked multiple times in the FIA lobbies for people to check my ping (the in-game network test never works for me) and the few that did said I looked OK.

Last night I opened an Argentine account and did six times Race A. All six lobbies were full but as I feared there was a huge spread in DR (which has been happening anyway before in the Americas) but now there is also a huge SR spread, just as I feared. I was a permanent green #4 so no huge improvement there but the gameplay was indeed noticeably smoother. Also, despite the lobbies being headed by three or four faster guys (including me) the rest were low DR, low SR players. Despite me fearing a crashfest, the racing was quite clean and smooth. Only once was I taken out at the first corner of Maggiore. Had some good close racing at the front with Argentines & Brazilians.

Assuming PD uses AWS infrastructure (based on the fact that they use Amazon S3 for storage) my WiFi pings from my computer to all AWS regions can be seen below (keep in mind that the PS4 is wired to the modem so ping will be lower there):

aws-ping.jpg

Assuming the Americas server was in Virgina and has been moved (according to a suspicion by @HellzFire ) it is probably now in Ohio. That's a bit more latency for me than before at 277ms. The Latin American server is definitely in Sao Paulo and I ping that at 100ms. So, overall a latency improvement.

However, here is where PDs reasoning falls apart. If this were only for FIA races I would understand. There's a big enough playerbase to have good races. But for the Dailies really nothing has changed overall latency-wise but grid counts and DR/SR spreads are very bad now.

USA and Canada still have South Americans, Middle Easterners and Asians playing on US accounts and that makes for some horrendous latency coming from people in the Middle and Far East. Sure, some of the South Americans aren't there anymore but people living halfway around the world using USA accounts are still there.

In the new Latin America server that problem doesn't exist since there is no benefit to anyone halfway around the world holding a Brazilian or Argentine account (games are much more expensive on Latin American PSN accounts and there are no digital codes allowed in most of the LA PS Stores). However, Chileans are still getting yellow bars. Mexicans and Central Americans have gone from green bars to yellow and orange. Mexico is a lot closer to Ohio than Sao Paulo. In Latin America really the only people benefitting are southern Brazil, central Argentina & Uruguay. For the rest of Latin America latency is either the same or worse than before.

So I feel that, in effect, all this is doing is lowering the playerbase in the Americas without an overall improvement. Sure, it will be better for some, but it is also worse for others.

I'm not even sure anymore what point I am trying to make. Just some observations.

And I really feel for AUS/NZ. It must be lonely over there now...

Last edited:
dividing SouthAmerican from North America is also a terrible decision...why do they do this change??

Totally agree with you and if they are going to divide in regions, they should be doing right Mexico is not Central or South America.
Mexico is North America just grab a geography book.

That is why the ping is terrible, I think the new servers are in Brasil (Brazil).

Yesterday I have two races with 4 and 7 drivers!!! and my ping went from 65 to 70 and green bars before the change to 190 and yellow bars now.

Totally agree with you and if they are going to divide in regions, they should be doing right Mexico is not Central or South America.
Mexico is North America just grab a geography book.

That is why the ping is terrible, I think the new servers are in Brasil (Brazil).

Yesterday I have two races with 4 and 7 drivers!!! and my ping went from 65 to 70 and green bars before the change to 190 and yellow bars now.

This was instigated by Trump's wall... for sure...

Did they seriously put Mexico in south america? wtf?

Unfortunately, yes. It should have been Canada down to Panamá as NA and Colombia down to Tierra del Fuego as SA.

Either way I am going to miss lots of players. I have lots of friend racers on both ends of the Americas.

Just gave Sport Mode a try in the last couple of hours.

Maybe it's because I'm playing the game on a Friday morning but by the end of these races, the number of drivers still participating was in the single digits. Feels like a ghost town now...

H
Just gave Sport Mode a try in the last couple of hours.

Maybe it's because I'm playing the game on a Friday morning but by the end of these races, the number of drivers still participating was in the single digits. Feels like a ghost town now...
Hey mate I was in one of those, i think the weekday days (the only real time Im on), will really struggle. Im not sure how the nights are stacking up though.

It seems in a genuine effort to improve latency and server quality, they forgot 50% of the player base is in Europe, another 30% in NA.

They forgot less than 100,000 people still play this game as well.

I knew it wasn’t just me, even over in NA it’s incredibly hard to find any sort of populated Gr.3 lobby in opens. Used to be really easy during the weekends but not anymore.

Last edited:
Back