• 40 comments

GlamFM

Play GT7 in VR
Premium
Germany
Germany
GlamFM
GlamFM

LANDSHUT, Bavaria (July 13, 2021) - Gran Turismo has partnered with Fanatec, a leading brand in sim racing hardware, to develop new racing peripherals that will use advanced force-feedback technology, the companies announced today. A representative from Fanatec added that the collaboration will help "aim to reduce the distinction between sim racing and real-world racing."

The beginning of a new era: Fanatec and Polyphony

"There is no product announcement so far but the first product of this partnership will be announced in a couple of weeks and production is planned to start this year. The industrial design will be made by Polyphony Digital just like they did with other GT licensed products before and I am sure it will be perfectly integrated in their racing titles as other GT products before.

And we have bigger plans so stay tuned."

Saw this on the Fanatec blog so maybe get new GT info in a couple of weeks. Hopefully also get a Beta this month too. Exciting times in GT world.

Also blog poll kind of indicates what they are aiming for: "Direct Drive + Load Cell + Below 700,- !!!"

I think we will get new information about the wheel and in dept about the wheel base. Maybe the end of the July to see what the wheel is about and what it offer to the community. We should keep eye on this one.

I think we will get new information about the wheel and in dept about the wheel base. Maybe the end of the July to see what the wheel is about and what it offer to the community. We should keep eye on this one.
wheel base is for sure dd csl compatible with playstation

So many buttons...I guess the future HUD will be busy like the one in GTsport.
E6RKq_GVcAIasjT

Last edited:
Does it come with pedals or it's just advertisement on the box for another product?
If they're in the box, it's more than a "little" drawback. I'd have to get new pedals with clutch. And not just the H shifter...
EDIT: I see they sell the clutch pedal on their website https://fanatec.com/eu-en/accessori...net&utm_campaign=General+Links&a_aid=gtplanet
Compatible with these or?.....

View attachment 1067569
Instead of buying the clutch kit you'd be better off getting the optional load cell pedal and using the old brake pedal as the clutch. Load cell + clutch pedal = Win, Win. Fanatec gear is very customisable.

Untitled.png

From here:

Oh damn. Fanatec... The official GT wheel just got even more expensive then. Kaz thinks we're all rich or something.
Thrustmaster T-GT II = €749.99
Fanatec CSL DD + CSL Pedals + Generic GT wheel (ClubSport BMW GT2) = €729.95

I've no idea how much the official GT wheel itself will cost, but it all rather looks to be in the same ballpark. For a direct drive wheel.

Thrustmaster T-GT II = €749.99
Fanatec CSL DD + CSL Pedals + Generic GT wheel (ClubSport BMW GT2) = €729.95

I've no idea how much the official GT wheel itself will cost, but it all rather looks to be in the same ballpark. For a direct drive wheel.
Then it is surprisingly cheap for being a Fanatec wheel...

Then it is surprisingly cheap for being a Fanatec wheel...
Not really. They're only expensive if you compare them to the lower end wheel bases, but that also applies to the T-GT. The CSL Elite that the CSL DD is replacing was also in the same ballpark price range as the T-GT, but if you wanted to add a load cell you only had to purchase a load cell add on pedal for the CSL whereas you have to buy a full pedal set (T-LCM's) for the T-GT which tips the scales heavily towards the CSL being cheaper. There are aftermarket load cell conversions for the T-GT but they don't work anywhere near as well as the proper items.

Not really. They're only expensive if you compare them to the lower end wheel bases, but that also applies to the T-GT. The CSL Elite that the CSL DD is replacing was also in the same ballpark price range as the T-GT, but if you wanted to add a load cell you only had to purchase a load cell add on pedal for the CSL whereas you have to buy a full pedal set (T-LCM's) for the T-GT which tips the scales heavily towards the CSL being cheaper. There are aftermarket load cell conversions for the T-GT but they don't work anywhere near as well as the proper items.
I compare them to the typical wheels that most people actually buy
Typical Thrustmaster wheels are between 200 and 400€, the TGT is far more than that, so by this logic, if you consider the typical Fanatec wheels are so much more than 200-400 it is a bit surprising that this special GT wheel by Fanatec is not around 1000 or more

I compare them to the typical wheels that most people actually buy
Typical Thrustmaster wheels are between 200 and 400€, the TGT is far more than that, so by this logic, if you consider the typical Fanatec wheels are so much more than 200-400 it is a bit surprising that this special GT wheel by Fanatec is not around 1000 or more
Using your rather odd logic wouldn't the Fanatec wheel be about the same price as the T-GT, not around 1000 mark like you suggest? We obviously don't know yet but everything seems to pointing to those two wheel set ups being fairly comparable in price.

And you may be surprised by how many people consider a CSL and a T-GT to be a typical wheel, they're only mid-range/price wheels after all ;)

I know I'm getting old. Those prices are crazy. As much fun as a wheel is, I'll be sticking with a controller.
I see it the other way. To me it's dirt cheap, but I tend to compare it to costs of my vehicles that can go through a pair of $500 a piece rear tyres in under a minute, and at the very best I only get about 3500kms out of them. Hours of fun per dollar spent is very high for a decent wheel set up, but I do still like using my controller for driving sometimes as well though.

I see it the other way. To me it's dirt cheap, but I tend to compare it to costs of my vehicles that can go through a pair of $500 a piece rear tyres in under a minute, and at the very best I only get about 3500kms out of them. Hours of fun per dollar spent is very high for a decent wheel set up, but I do still like using my controller for driving sometimes as well though.
The last time I used my old DFGT was at the GT Academy Time Trial in Le Mans... :lol:
I remember that my arms were destroyed and I no longer took the wheel in the GT6.
For the GT Sport I didn't even bother to buy the adapter to use it and I played it entirely on the controller.

But this time I was very interested in buying this Fanatec because they have bases with only two pedals, just like my old DFGT... And for "bonus" I get a "good" steering wheel. :sly:

Last edited:
Hopefully get official reveal of the leaked wheel this coming week with impressions. Would be good if it's on Tuesday again so less long to wait.

Will be interesting to see what Fanatec and PDI come up with for the higher end offerings later on, could it be Podium wheels with depth feedback or something more. Would be awesome if you could buy an official motion setup as I think that can make racing games more fun.
The last time I used my old DFGT was at the GT Academy Time Trial in Le Mans... :lol:
I remember that my arms were destroyed and I no longer took the wheel in the GT6.
For the GT Sport I didn't even bother to buy the adapter to use it and I played it entirely on the controller.

But this time I was very interested in buying this Fanatec because they have bases with only two pedals, just like my old DFGT... And for "bonus" I get a "good" steering wheel. :sly:
DFGT was my first FFB wheel and only official GT wheel I had so would be good to get another official one. Wonder if this one will have the horn button on the wheel...

I was tempted to get the T-GT to try out the T-DFB and overall FFB out of curiosity but as I rarely play the game, couldn't really justify getting one with the questionable reliability which hopefully the new version addresses.

By the way, are you sure you are gripping the wheel correctly? I remember when I let others try out my DFGT wheel and some made it look like you had to be Arnold Schwarzenegger to move the wheel :lol:. I thought they were joking but it was due to their positioning, how they grip and move the wheel was making it difficult against the resistance. You only really need a light grip and quick acceleration of moving the wheel and it becomes rather easy even with one hand and you could also drive it in manual too with the sequential shifter next to the wheel. I would imagine you would feel it more in the arms with a CSL DD due to the higher forces even though oversteer moments should be easier to correct but I guess you could always turn FFB down. Even that at max settings will be be quite a bit lower in force compared to some race cars without power steering, I wonder how tiring something like F2 is.

By the way, are you sure you are gripping the wheel correctly? I remember when I let others try out my DFGT wheel and some made it look like you had to be Arnold Schwarzenegger to move the wheel :lol:. I thought they were joking but it was due to their positioning, how they grip and move the wheel was making it difficult against the resistance. You only really need a light grip and quick acceleration of moving the wheel and it becomes rather easy even with one hand and you could also drive it in manual too with the sequential shifter next to the wheel. I would imagine you would feel it more in the arms with a CSL DD due to the higher forces even though oversteer moments should be easier to correct but I guess you could always turn FFB down. Even that at max settings will be be quite a bit lower in force compared to some race cars without power steering, I wonder how tiring something like F2 is.
I agree with you. Positioning and tension is something I need to correct for my next experience. At the very end of my cycle with the DFGT, I got some tips from professional drivers on how effective driving would be, but I ended up forgetting the techniques in the heat of the moment...
I'll remember working on it from the beginning... probably in an uncompromised Sunday Cup :lol:👍

Thanks for reminding me of this aspect. ;)

Last edited:
Back