Official GTPC - Omnis vs Suzuki vs d3p0 [RESULTS ARE IN!!!]

ok, deadline passed about 10 hours ago, and I'm unhappy to report that I've recieved only two of the vids.

I'm going to be a bugger about this and exclude the missing entrant since I did not recieve any form of request for extra time. I don't do it so much to be mean, but to set a standard for future GTPC's. We arent going to take late entries - late entries, scores, and general inactivity is what killed several challenges in the GT3 drift forum and we're not going to continue in that pattern. It was a 3 week deadline afterall.

Sorry Omnis. :guilty: I understand your school priorities and I don't hold this against you. I hope you understand my decision.

So then there were two: Suzuki vs d3p0

judging starts today, so judges check your inboxes. When scores are returned to me please reply here with a 'scores submitted' type of entry.

best of luck to the remaining two drifters.

edit: links to the submitted videos will be released once I have recieved all the scores.

Scores submitted.

Very close competition. In the first half of the lap, there was a clear winner, but that changed in the later portion of the lap.

Very well done guys.

AO

Scores submitted.

I agree, it was tough to judge, I think I watched each one at least 4 or 5 times.

man, i think i'm gonna cry.

my budget project and mother's day priorities have utterly killed my ass, and I haven't been able to do anything since. i totally forgot about the competition on thursday with my presentations and whatnot. friday came too quick, (not to mention the talk of an extension...which i missed too.)

what's done is done, though. an apology is all i can offer now. so, sorry guys. good thing it was a 3-way.

edit: could i perhaps include my video when the other two are released to the public?

Scores Submitted.

Hard to judge, but the winner was clear.

Good luck guys!

Omnis
edit: could i perhaps include my video when the other two are released to the public?

sure, go nuts 👍

and again, sorry omnis, but i dont want us to get started off on the wrong foot

- - - - - - - -

just waiting on one more score. the remaining judge to submit has pm'd me and hopes to have the vids judged tomorrow

Yeah well perhaps maybe in two hours or so, cause then I can begin downloading the vids. I'm at my dads house every 2 weeks, who has an astonishing pentium >>>1<<<. So that won't work out now, I'll post them when I get behind my good functioning PC lol:lol:

nice, its cool that we're getting all the scores in well before the week deadline. we must be good judges or something :sly:

Yep well SCORES SUBMITTED

Well it's a difficult course and it was difficult to decide what is an average......angle for instance, never drifted that entire course seriously before but well, I have got an idea for who has to win, but again these are just scores, nothing personal, I don't really know any of you guys in personal in the first place so......:sly:

194GVan
well we dont know whos video is whos anyways :D

Ow yeah offcourse, I think MY identity and others in the challenge I am in, is already known a bit for the judges I realise afterwards, too much talking about what problems we might have in the vids, well I'm not going to reveal my identity to you either but well, I think you could recognize who's video is from who's now:dunce:

Aaahhh well, last time I'm going to challenge someone anyway so well..........
....WITH "OUR" repeat: "OUR" TEAM(refering to tougeman)!!!!:crazy:......

G-T-4-Fan
Ow yeah offcourse, I think MY identity and others in the challenge I am in, is already known a bit for the judges I realise afterwards, too much talking about what problems we might have in the vids, well I'm not going to reveal my identity to you either but well, I think you could recognize who's video is from who's now:dunce:

Aaahhh well, last time I'm going to challenge someone anyway so well..........
....WITH "OUR" repeat: "OUR" TEAM(refering to tougeman)!!!!:crazy:......
its hard to manage a team eh? i so love IDM....

^^^ hehe, indeed

The Verdict

I don’t think the following scores quite reflect how close this truly was. You should know before proceeding that the judging panel was split in their decision.

The two drivers took two very different approaches to this competition and in the end the approach of one was met more favourably than the other. Contestant 58 appeared to take larger risks and a more creative line – this either helped or hindered his scores depending on which judge you spoke to. Contestant 7’s lap was more reserved and had few (if any) mistakes to speak of. Very consistent, but would have scored a few more points by stretching the envelope a little more. With bigger risks come bigger rewards, or so I am told. And that’s exactly how the majority of the judges viewed this competition.

Contestant 58’s Totals (Suzuki):
Style 40 / 50
Angle 38 / 50
Smoke 20 / 25
Control 37 / 50
Total lap score: 135 / 175

Average: 27 / 35

Suzuki's Video

Contestant 7’s Totals (d3p0):

Style 36.5 / 50
Angle 32.5 / 50
Smoke 15 / 25
Control 38 / 50
Total lap score: 122 / 175

Average: 24.5 / 35

d3p0's Video

some pretty high scores on both counts…

Congratulations on the win Suzuki. D3p0, you also put in a good lap that kept things quite close and made this tough to call.

I'd like to thank the judges for being so quick to get the scores in. This is the kind of activity we need to maintain on the panel to keep everything running efficiently.
AO, TD, Gvan, G-T-4-Fan and Fryz: You guys deserve a few claps.
👍 👍

dang, that was pretty close indeed.
omnis, well setup another battle sometime this summer, i WANT to battle YOU, i want to see what you can do with gt4!
d3p0, i think you should join the GTPDC, i dont think you have already.
id also like to thank the judges for getting the scores in quickly.
i wish i couldve gotten to see what omnis could do, but i understand he had more important things that came first, which they should.
now im off to download d3p0's vid.

thier scores shouldn't be so high.....I see alot of half-ass drifts...This is why in gtpdc i picked certain judges to show how things should be and how things should be judged. but thats an opinion.

EDIT: if you ask me dp30 hada better lap without any mess ups..just not enough smoke thats it...

but mind me i'm thinking out loud again.......god help me.... 👍

well, I pretty much judged the vids in relation to eachother, I understand what youre implying though...how are we gonna compare scores from various challenges if theres no standard?

Swift
Congrats Suzuki!
thanks swift!
d3p0, nice vid! i think the fact that i had more angle and smoke on the corners i did drift, is what was the leading factor.
very nice vid though! that was some good competition!

Ryen49
thier scores shouldn't be so high.....I see alot of half-ass drifts...This is why in gtpdc i picked certain judges to show how things should be and how things should be judged. but thats an opinion.

EDIT: if you ask me dp30 hada better lap without any mess ups..just not enough smoke thats it...

but mind me i'm thinking out loud again.......god help me.... 👍

Well I compared them too, and I have to say that, because we have this same rating system for school, a 7/10 is an average for me, if I think they didn't score good, it's less than 7/10. if they did better it's more than 7. No 3/10 or something for me, or it must be RRREEAAALLLLLYYYY bad, or it must be 3/5 wich is smoke:idea:

I also compared them to eachother, so you should see it as a comparison, not compare this to a totally different GTPC.

and if anyone is wanting my settings, here they are. ill also submit them to the settings depot.
'91 Silvia K's(aka S13 Coupe)
First off, Chassis refresh, then cage. it is imparative to do it in that order!!!
oil change
race exhaust
N2 tires of course
Stage 1 turbo
Race intercooler
Race Brakes Brake controller
Race suspension
Race tranny
Race clutch
Race flywheel
carbon driveshaft
full race LSD
stage 2 lightweight
engine balancing
SETTINGS
Driving aids- ALL off
Suspension (f/r)
Spring Rates: 11.6/9.3
Ride Height 94/94
Bound 3/3
Rebound 7/7(might try reversing bound and rebound)
camber 3.7/1.6
toe 0/0
stabs 1/1
Tranny
auto-10
LSD
25/40/35
brake controller 8/18

this should be around 279 hp.

Apart from the long long turn suzuki did an excellent run, all his last corners were linked and flowing, with nice angle control and smoke.

d3p0 had nice drifts but i didnt see the long linking drifts and nice angle.

Granted both contestants are very good, but there can only be one winner. Take none of this personally

i kinda thought this result would spark a little controversy, I hadn't picked a clear winner when I viewed them.

i'm with you on the scores being a bit high ryen. But there were several first time judges on the panel.

for future reference guys... something more like a 5 should be an average score, not a 7. And don't be afraid to give marks lower than 5 or 6 if it fits. I think there was only 1 judge who did so.

Remember, the scores you submit are not made public, just the total combined scores of all the judges are. You remain pretty anonymous through the whole process so don't worry about offending anyone. Besides, a low score might give someone a bigger kick to step things up a notch.

I think it can be all said with one word, aggression. Or maybe aggresivness. Anyway, I like it when a drifter makes it look like they are going all out. Clean is good, but I like flashy attempts better. This is exhibition drifting after all. I don't mean sloppy drifting and big flash. I mean that I'm not worried about some grass here and sand there if contestant was trying to push it. Then there is the clean lap where nobody touched the grass but it wasn't as agressive. Well, if I'm judging, they aren't going to get as high a score.

BTW, I learned this from experince of being the "clean guy"

When you run a full lap drift contest, I'd expect to see a full lap of drifting. No offense to Suzuki (who obviously focused on the later part of the track) but IMO his video wasn't complete. Had I known not completing corners was acceptable, I might've just posted my best work on the last section, but I thought this was a full lap contest. Anyway, because of this discrepancy, it should becomes very difficult to judge anything. How do you judge angle if only half the corners were completed? (half score?) The biggest joke IMO is the control score, Suzuki made nice work of the Esses after the 3rd straight but couldn't find a line that kept at least two wheels on the track- I did. Same thing with the huge decreasing radius turn. To top it off I managed to get a huge low angle drift on the 2nd straight which is incredibly difficult and I only have slightly more control? Just some icing on the cake, but, I completed the course 7 seconds faster (meaning higher average speed) with less power.

I'm sure I'm going to arrouse everyone one, but FYI I've got nothing against Suzuki and everything against this judging.

Back