Official GTPlanet Member of the Fortnight [Member of the Week]

Congrats! Nice interview! Maybe someday I'll get to do one lmao.

I hiiiigghhllyy doubt it.

I just realized... All the three songs you (Sharky) put on your "What songs have been on repeat for the past few days?" (Dire Straits and Heart songs) They're all in my music playlist. 👍 That's a first.

Nice job Sharky. You've always been my favourite.

Even when decimating me season-upon-season of Batracer.

I just realized... All the three songs you (Sharky) put on your "What songs have been on repeat for the past few days?" (Dire Straits and Heart songs) They're all in my music playlist. 👍 That's a first.
You have good taste, I like you. :lol:

Never mind that you're a compatriot so I have to like you by law...!

Even when decimating me season-upon-season of Batracer.
Pssh, I hardly decimated anyone in that game. Had a few awesome seasons and nothing more :P

Wonder how T-12 will like this one :lol:.
:D

Congrats, Sharky! :cheers:

What am I liking or not liking?

This part:

I personally don't find people inspiring per se, but I do have huge respect for the super mods and the job they have to do (except for T-12, he's rude). Managing a forum that is home to over 200,000 users is no mean feat, and the way GTP runs so smoothly is credit to their efforts.

With the Member of the Week back from vacation we're back in the swing of things, and this week's newest inductee is known for his collection of die-cast cars and love of Cowboy Bebop, so without further ado let us all welcome the newest member to find a vacant apartment in the Member of the Week madhouse, Cano!

1. First and foremost, you're officially the Member of the Week so what were your thoughts going into this and how does it feel to be recognized amidst the hundreds of thousands of other members here?

I feel honoured of course, but it's weird. Even if I've been here for a looong while, I've always thought of myself as a low-profile member. Altough I've been more active than ever lately, so that could explain a lot. Anyway, it's cool that someone actually nominated me. Bunch of weirdos :0 who nominated me anyway?

2. What brought you to GTPlanet and what keeps you coming back?

The GT3 prize car list! I remember trying to find out what race gave you what so I could get all the colors of the Ford GT40.

As for what has kept me coming back for 10+ years... the useful community. There's cool people in here, always have been. Some have been here for the duration of the wild ride, others have hopped in along the way, but this is a way rich bunch of people, very contrasting and diverse. That makes this place really fun and informative.

3. There's a lot to do around the forums so I have to ask: what sub-forums/threads do you frequent most often and why?

Rumble Strip/Cars in General all the way. You can find me over at the Hot Wheels threads telling people they overpaid for toy cars while I do the same, or in the anime thread worshipping non-existant girls with glasses. If not, I'll be around in the cars forum, sharing the passion. And lately, *gasp!* I've been posting in the GT6 forums too. Insane.

4. What was it that sparked your interest in Gran Turismo?

Cars. But when I started my GT career (GT3) it was cars that I was not familiar with, like all them unknown japanese cars that didn't have V8s underhood. I was intrigued by them. GT was an early window for me to a previously unknown automotive world.

5. How did you come up with the name "Cano"?

It's my second name. Wat.

6. Controversial question time: Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport or both?

Gran Turismo. I've never played Forza. Altough I'd like to at least try.

7. Because it's finally occurred to me that the question above doesn't allow enough freedom, do you play any other racing games that you perhaps enjoy more than GT or FM?

Well there was Mario Kart for SNES, lol. Oh that and Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed which made me buy a el cheapo wheel setup for my Windows 2000 PC just so I could enjoy sliding around in the 930 Turbo. But frankly my entire racing game career is called Gran Turismo.

8. GTP 12 is up and about, what are your thoughts?

I like it. Still getting the hang of it but I feel it's way more advanced than the usual forum stuff. And the storage capacity thing is insane.

9. Gran Turismo 6 is finally here, what are you thoughts so far?

As a guy who doesn't have enough time on his hands to play online mode with friends and sucks when he does, and relies strongly on arcade/career mode, I've found it too easy because of the extreme rubberbanding of the AI. Still, I like to make it challlenging. VW Bug against Lambos? Sure.

10. If aliens landed in front of you and, in exchange for anything you desire, offered you any position on their planet what would you want?

:0 such a win-win. I'd like a big house so I could house as many stray dogs as I could, and I'd ask to be their planet's ambassador here on earth. I like it here. Er, more or less. Not in Mexico, though :/

11. If you could live in any video game which game would it be and why?

Gran Turismo, lol. You drive stuff around, the cars get repaired magically, and you don't die if you crash head-on against a wall at 200 mph. Oh yeh.

12. If you could create your own motorsport series what would it entail?

Old cars free-for-all. Rules be damned, just build an old car and come racing. Outclassed? Build it more.

13. Tell us something interesting about your hometown.

Mexico City is one of the smallest cities of the world but it's in the top 5 on population, so we're pretty cramped. Living here is as costly as living in Las Vegas, but the average income is lower than the worse income in any US city, so do the math. You can practically cross the entire city and back for like $2 in the subway, and the freaking government has cleaned up a lot of the abandoned cars that adorned our streets. Those bastards.

14. Cowboy Bebop or Cosby Bebop?

Hard choice. Cosby if he plays sax or has a robotic arm.

15. Do you have any hobbies we should be made aware of?

1:64 DIE CAST CARS. From amassing a very considerable collection, to customizing and restoring them, to selling them so I can buy more, to maintaining a blog about customizing them. Also, anime, and a lot of drawing. Oh and photography. Can GTPlaneting be considered a hobby?

16. Are you driving anything special at the moment?

My two feet. I've yet to acquire my first car. I was this close years ago (1970 Dodge Coronet, mind you) but more important stuff like wife, house, 30 days worth of traveling have gotten in the way once and again. It should happen this year though, but it won't be anything special.

17. What's your favourite video game, currently?

Can't say I have a favorite right now. Give me any Gran Turismo or Zelda and I'll be good to go.

18. What songs have been on repeat for the past few days?

I hardly listen to songs alone but to complete albums. And they've been:

Texas Pandaa - Days
Spangle Call Lilli Line - Or
Muse - Absolution
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Moanin'
The entire Cowboy Bebop soundtrack.

19. Why did you choose that avatar, and why is it not a monkey? (Don't ask me, I had nothing to do with this. :lol:)

It's not a monkey but it's an afrosaur. Way better than a monkey. Even one with an afro. This was drawn by my brother in an oekaki board.

20. Games, how do you like them?

a) Pre-Order, I want them on day one.
b) Sealed at first price drop.
c) Used.

It really depends on the game, but it's usually sealed when they're more or less new, or used/new if they're cheap. Also, borrowed with no intention of giving them back. I love those.

21. With the next generation of all things video gaming upon us, have you made any plans to pick up a PS4, Xbox One or Wii U?

Nah, not for the time being. I hardly have time to play with them things and I have an enormous list of games in queue that will keep me occupied for at least two years -plus what will inevitably be added during that time. 'Sides, money. They cost a lot of it now.

22. Mechanical or Membrane keyboard?

What is the obsession with you people and keyboards? Stop dating Cody. What the hell.

My wife has an Alienware thing with lights that follow the music beats and all that trash. Does that count?

23. You've just been sentenced to death. What is your last meal?

My wife's pastel azteca. Damn. I'd also ask her to pour some poison over it. Them sombitches won't take me alive.

24. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being likely to go to the nut house, how crazy would you rate yourself?

Eh, 6 at most. I'm not nuts, I'm just weird.

25. Who is your favorite race driver and why?

Probably Dan Gurney, as he raced in anything and everything, and formed a freaking racing emporium that is a force to be reckoned with even to this day. Fangio also has a place in my latinamerican heart. And of course the hermanos Rodriguez. Amazing drivers that daredeviled too much.

26. Where and when was your very first post here and how does it differ from your posting style used today?

Basically it was "moar muscle cars in GT and less japanese blenders plz". I still think this should happen. I only think it with better grammar and spelling now.

27. How many of your controllers have died because of heavy physical abuse whilst playing a PS3 game?

None of them PS3, but a few of my PS2 controllers met the ground several times. On purpose.

28. Have you ever accessed the website during an unusual time and/or place?

You bet, right at the top of a pyramid in Uxmal, in my latest vacation trip about three months ago.

29. What's the longest you've gone without logging onto GTPlanet since joining: Years, months, weeks, days, hours?

I don't know. I remember I left for a while but I don't even remember when, for how long or even why. All I know is I won't be leaving here ever again.

30. Who (in your own opinion) is the most inspiring person / people here on GTPlanet?

Shem. The dude quits drinking riding half the world on a bike. That's awesome.

31. Is your body ready?

Oh yeah baby <3

32. Now it's time for the "Daniel Special": If you could cross a hippo with any other animal - what will the animal be, what will it be called, and why? (Bonus points for creativity! And it can't be another hippo because that's incest)

Whatever Daniel was high with when he formulated his "special", he can't controll it. I'll say some baking powder and sugar and the result is several thousand bags of animal cookies.

33. What's the funniest thing you can remember from all of your time being a member here?

The Camry 2.2 thing was pretty epic. Also the guy asking to be a mod and reporting Jordan. Also W&N calling himself a hot rodder. Or the never-ending pun rounds at the Infield. There have been several instances of funny during 10+ years in here, that's for sure.

34. Have you ever participated in any of the racing series' found here?

Only in the premium members racing meets, and I've sucked baaaaaaaad. But it's way fun!

35. Have you ever considered developing your own racing series, and if you have where can we find it?

Nah, I'm not that hardcore of a racer. I hardly participate in online racing.

36. Anything else you'd like to say?

Yeah. GTP has been important to me. I learned a lot about cars and english and hell, I even got into photoshopping cars here in the first place with the photochop competitions of yore, which is what landed me my current job at the car magazines, which is the most awesome job ever and ever. GTP is far more than a website for me, and it's taken me 10+ years to fully realize it. But I've realized it. I'm not going anywhere.

Ta!

Last edited:
Interviews only go up on Saturday or Sunday when the interview is delayed for whatever reason. When all goes well it goes up the same time as the Rewind.

Back