Official GTPlanet Member of the Fortnight [Member of the Week]

I always thought your name was a reference to Lone Star's sidekick...half-man, half-dog.

Nice read, Mog. I want to live where you live. Probably.
It is literally fields, fields and more fields with the odd village/town. If that is your sort of thing fine but I found it to be a boring place.

Great read anyway.

Nice read, Mog. I want to live where you live. Probably.

As haitch said, it's not for everyone but if you like a fairly quiet life with some amazing scenery to explore then it's great. There are plenty of cycle routes and lots of places to go walking, and once you get below the surface there is always something happening. Plenty of music festivals, boat races, food and drink events, places of historical significance, car shows, sports events and some awesome old pubs.

It's definitely not a busy city life full of people and overpriced trendy bars but I'm very glad of that. I'd much rather be down the beach with my mates drinking local ale and soaking up the sunshine!

EDIT: This was filmed where I live!

Last edited:
It is once again time to welcome a new face; someone that doesn't cower in the face of fame, someone that doesn't regress when presented with the opportunity to shout from a rooftop "I'm better than you... on the internet!", someone that loves Tesco Burgers perhaps more than anything else (well, not really, read the interview!) - these are the traits of the archetype known only as The GTPlanet Member of the Week

No matter where you go, people will know you. No matter what you say, no one will interrupt or correct you. No matter what you're wearing it will be fashionable for the next 10 years.

So let us welcome the newest member to the League of Extraordinary GTPeople, Dankey Kang, er, I mean DK!

1. First and foremost, you're officially the Member of the Week so what were your thoughts going into this and how does it feel to be recognized amidst the hundreds of thousands of other members here?

I never would have imagined that of all people on GTP, I'd be considered a Member of the Week. When I think about my posting habits, I don't feel as if I'm the kind of person who'd win it.
2. What brought you to GTPlanet and what keeps you coming back?

I was 14 years old, and I spent a lot of my spare time back then playing Gran Turismo 4. One car that caught my attention was the Nismo Skyline GT-R R-Tune, and I searched for pictures on it online. One of the pictures was on GTPlanet, and I guess something drove me to sign up.
3. There's a lot to do around the forums so I have to ask: what sub-forums/threads do you frequent most often and why?

The Infield, the Grand Theft Auto sub-forum, Opinions & Current Events and Movies & TV.

I wanted to get my money's worth for my Premium, so that's why I like the Infield. Conversations there seem relatively free of rubbish compared to some non-premium forums.

I started checking out the GTA sub-forum when GTA V came out, and joined the GTPL crew for GTA Online. The thing about getting involved in a GTA forum is that you're now waiting on news about two series. :lol:

I just check the Opinions forum out of curiosity, to see what others make of what's happened in the news. I'm a bit shy in real life, so I'm woeful at debating.

As for Movies & TV, it's a good place to discuss some of the latest and greatest TV shows. There's also The General Anime Thread, which I've been posting in ever since I watched Initial D.
4. What was it that sparked your interest in Gran Turismo?

I was 8 years old, and my parents had given me and my brother a PS2 for Christmas. When I got bored of FIFA 2003, I'd put in the demo disc, and there was a four-minute-or-so video showcasing GT3. It was at that moment that I was captivated by GT. In March 2003, after weeks of saving up my pocket money, I bought GT3, the first game I ever bought with my own money. It took me a whole month to learn what the brakes did. :lol:
5. How did you come up with the name "DK"?

I signed up as "driftking18594", and that became "DK" when I got Premium gifted to me by a still-unknown benefactor.
6. Controversial question time: Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport or both?

Both, they each have their strong points. I normally care far more about the offline experience than the online one, but Forza allows exponentially more freedom in customisation. However, I just don't feel the same enthusiasm for Forza as I do for GT. Forza 4 had thousands of offline career races, so I guess I felt overwhelmed by that. If I could, I'd mix the event list of GT4 with the cars and tracks of GT6 with the customisation options of Forza.
7. Because it's finally occurred to me that the question above doesn't allow enough freedom, do you play any other racing games that you perhaps enjoy more than GT or FM?

Codemasters' F1 series, GTR2 and Race07/GTR Evo, the latter two because there's boatloads of mods that add hundreds of hours of playing time. I don't mind poor graphics if amazing gameplay makes up for it - which GTR2 does.
8. GTP 12 is up and about, what are your thoughts?

It looks nice, but it's a bit too annoying sometimes when I'm using it on my phone, as the page sometimes doesn't fit properly. :grumpy:

Despite that little downside, I think it's an improvement on GTP11, it's useful in that it alerts you when someone quotes your post, so it helps get a conversation started.
9. Gran Turismo 6 is finally here, what are you thoughts so far?

It's a solid game, but the minimal customisation (especially since they removed race modifications from GT5) is really disappointing. I keep thinking of missed opportunities - Senna's TG184 and MP4/4, Donington Park, a revamp of Monaco and Interlagos would have been nice for the Senna DLC.
10. Talk a little about what you think you bring to GTPlanet and how you think you can continue to improve.

I don't know what I bring, to be honest. The last time I checked, I had about 4.5 posts per day, so it's not like I take part in a lot of deep conversations.

I can't see how I can improve, either. :indiff:
11. How do you prefer the weather: hot, cold, or mild?

Mild and dry. Ireland has given me enough rain to last a lifetime, but I don't like it either too hot or too cold. If it's too cold, you freeze your nuts off, and if it's too hot I might get sunburn.
12. If you could live in any video game which game would it be and why?

That's a tough question. There's GTA, but when you think about it, GTA games are a caricature of US society, and if you're a "have-not" in the real USA, just imagine how bad it would be in San Andreas, Liberty City or Vice City.

There's Mass Effect, which I've never played, which offers interstellar travel at much faster than the speed of light.

And then there's Pokemon, where there's not really that many existential threats to humanity, unless you think about Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and especially Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. Come on, what sort of person wouldn't want Pokemon to exist? :dopey:
13. Tell us something interesting about your hometown.

A few scenes of Braveheart were filmed there. It also has the largest Norman castle in Ireland.
14. With the recent influx of GT-related news, how are you digesting it all?

9dc2157ec01f9fb435b93f321ede54f89b29354f044fcc358567205601b23342.jpg

The funny thing is, I'm in two minds over PD's notorious lack of communication. On one hand, it would be nice to have an in-depth preview of the game and any upcoming features...but on the other hand, the wait for the aforementioned game/features can be excruciatingly long *cough*Zahara Circuit*cough*.
15. Do you have any hobbies we should be made aware of?

Not much, except video games, reading and watching TV.
16. Are you driving anything special at the moment?

I wish. I only have a provisional licence and no car. I'd have to get a well-paying job before getting a car, just so I could afford the bloody insurance. :indiff:
17. What's your favourite video game, currently?

Grand Theft Auto V. It's fun to get drunk and then do all sorts of dumb stuff in the game.
18. What would you do if presented with the opportunity of being a moderator here?

I've a few on my kill list. :mischievous:
19. Why did you choose that avatar, and why is it not a monkey? (Don't ask me, I had nothing to do with this!)

I'm a massive Michael Schumacher fan. You might think of this as opportunistic, but when I heard of his skiing accident, I was horrified. Schumi was my hero when I was growing up, ever since I was 6 years old when I got the 2000 Formula One yearbook for Christmas, and I saw his vivid red Ferrari on the cover. When you're six years old and like F1, you don't usually pick some random guy from the middle of the pack - you go straight for the winners. I decided to add a little "Irishness" and found a picture of him in a Jordan 191 from his debut in the 1991 Belgian GP.
20. Games, how do you like them?

a) Pre-Order, I want them on day one.
b) Sealed at first price drop.
c) Used.

A mix of all three. If it's something I'm really hyped up for, I'll buy it on day one if I can afford it. If I'm hyped up for it but can't afford it, I wait for the price to drop a bit. If I think it's a decent game, I might get it used (especially if it's a Pokemon game, in case the previous owner has built up a decent stash of Pokemon).
21. With the next generation of all things video gaming upon us, have you made any plans to pick up a PS4, Xbox One or Wii U?

A PS4, for GT7 and Project CARS. I'm not excited about the XBone (especially with Forza 5's microtransactions), and I'm not too sure about the Wii U, I can't see that many games for it that justify buying it.
22. If you were to indulge in the art of boutique car manufacturing what would your mission statement be?

I can't really think of anything better than stealing Colin Chapman's philosophy of "performance through lightweight" and hoping that it isn't copyrighted.
23. What kind of movies have you been watching lately?

I watch a wide variety of movies, but normally I prefer watching TV, especially Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad. My favourite kind of movies are sci-fi movies, especially if giant robots are involved. There's a real lack of giant robot movies that aren't anime.
24. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being likely to go to the nut house, how crazy would you rate yourself?

3, I hope. Maybe I need a little anger management, but that's about it.
25. What is your favourite car, why, and what do you think that it says about you?

The Nissan GT-R R35. I first became infatuated with the GT-R dynasty when I got Need For Speed Underground 2. To me, the GT-R is an engineering masterpiece, it just seems to have grip that defies the laws of physics. I don't care about straightline speed nearly as much as I care about cornering speed. I guess when you consider how much electronics was involved in the GT-R R34, that makes me a geek.
26. Where and when was your very first post here and how does it differ from your posting style used today?

It was in the GT4 drifting forum:
I started out with a Lotus Elise in GT3. It wouldn't spin out if you ripped the E-brake!
At least I still had good grammar back then! Also, I'm way less enthusiastic about drifting, but I guess ageing five-and-a-half years can do that to you. :lol:
27. How many of your controllers have died because of heavy physical abuse whilst playing a PS3 game?

Two, one PS2 and one PS3 controller. The latter was smashed open when I was getting griefed in GTA Online. :(
28. Have you ever accessed the website during an unusual time and/or place?

On the ferry between Holyhead in Wales and Dublin. The internet connection was unbelievably slow, to the point where it was taking about thirty seconds to merely load the HTML code.
29. What's the longest you've gone without logging onto GTPlanet since joining: Years, months, weeks, days, hours?

I have no idea, and I wish I had some way of finding out. I'd guess about a week, when my family went on holiday to Connemara in County Galway, and there wasn't an Internet connection there.
30. Who (in your own opinion) is the most inspiring person / people here on GTPlanet?

I'd have to say @W3HS. He's overcome a lot in his life already, like alcoholism and drug addiction (forgive me if I got that part wrong) to go on an epic trek across Asia. Not many people would consider spending months battling against the elements armed with only a tiny moped.
31. What's one significant change you'd like to see made to racing games in the next five years or so?

I'd like to see customisable events, with customisable opponents to the point where you could pick their liveries. That was the one thing that kept me playing Juiced 2 after beating it, where I was racing against the AI in cars from my own garage.
32. Now it's time for the "Daniel Special": If you could cross a hippo with any other animal - what will the animal be, what will it be called, and why? (Bonus points for creativity! And it can't be another hippo because that's incest)

I came up with a list of animals, and then scrapped them in favour of hedgehogs. Imagine a massive grey thing with hundreds of thousands of quills charging towards you at 40km/h. It'd be king of the savannah, easily, a lion or crocodile wouldn't dare to attack.
33. You wake up naked trapped in a broken lift with a celebrity - which celebrity would you choose and why?

The beautiful Danielle Sharp. :D She's a Game of Thrones fan, so that's a plus.
34. Have you ever participated in any of the racing series' found here?

Yeah, and the vast majority have been run by @Furinkazen. I have the honour of winning the first two seasons of ToCA, but the field has gotten much better since then, to the point where I'm lucky to score a top 10 finish.
35. Have you ever considered developing your own racing series, and if you have where can we find it?

I don't have the time right now, but if I did, it'd involve Skylines.
36. Anything else you'd like to say?

I'd like to thank whoever nominated me for this award, I've been told his username tastes of Tesco burgers. :P

I'd have to say @W3HS. He's overcome a lot in his life already, like alcoholism and drug addiction (forgive me if I got that part wrong) to go on an epic trek across Asia. Not many people would consider spending months battling against the elements armed with only a tiny moped.

Cheers for the recognition. :D You are right on all counts, except one....

...moped? I'll have you know it was a proper dual-sport machine (but yes, it had a small engine)! ;)

This week's interview is probably going to be up by Wednesday, or Friday at the very latest.

Why not today you ask?

August is going to be a very good month for the Member of the Week feature - two interviews every week on Monday and Friday. Who are the guests and why are there going to be twice as many interviews per week? You'll just have to wait until Friday, August 1st to find out. :D

This week's interview is probably going to be up by Wednesday, or Friday at the very latest.

Why not today you ask?

August is going to be a very good month for the Member of the Week feature - two interviews every week on Monday and Friday. Who are the guests and why are there going to be twice as many interviews per week? You'll just have to wait until Friday, August 1st to find out. :D

IMG_2666.jpg

Back