Official GTPlanet Member of the Fortnight [Member of the Week]

TB
Just post mine again. No one reads them anyway. :P

That should read yesterday's interview, otherwise it becomes wildly confusing. :odd:

And what are you talking about, posting yours again would overload this thread with popularity. :P

The recognition of new faces will continue, but this month we're going to put a little spin on the whole concept, but alas all good things come to an end and this is the final week of the Staff Edition August special for this month, which means for this final final week instead of 2 or 3 interviews a week, you'll be getting 7; that's right an interview for each day of the week!

There are only a select number of individuals capable of upholding this new concept; those that don't cower in the face of fame, those that don't regress when presented with the opportunity to shout from a rooftop "I'm better than you... on the internet!".

Those who live, breathe, and exhale the very essence of what makes GTPlanet the place that it has become and will continue to be - these are the approved traits of the archetype known only as The GTPlanet Illuminati, er, I mean the GTPlanet Moderation Staff and incidentally, the GTPlanet Member of the Week.

Two birds with one stone? Say it isn't so!

No matter where we go, people will either ignore or want to confront us, which is where our personal bodyguards come in. No matter what we say, everyone will interrupt and/or attempt to correct us. No matter what we're wearing, it will be made fun of for the next 10 years. So let us welcome the newest member to the League of Extraordinary GTPeople, and the fourteenth in the long line of staff interviews, Mad Max!

1. First and foremost, this is a most special month for all of us involved in the workings of GTPlanet and I thought it was time for us to bare it all, allowing the community at large an opportunity to see us for who we all really are

- which of course means you're officially GTPlanet's Member of the Week! Are you excited? Explosions!
Excited , dunno how I'm supposed to feel since this came out of the blue , but overall I'm supprised.
2. What brought you to GTPlanet and was there ever a time before you took on the badge where you thought to yourself "I'd like to do that" only to then immediately regret said thought ever coming to mind?
I can't remember for sure , but I think I was looking to compare my GT4 lap/licence/drag times. Using a search engine I found a bunch of sites GTPlanet being one of them. I found GT4 1/4 mile thread , GT4 licence times thread and Weekly Race Series and came to realise that I needed to create an

account to be able to reply in them.
"Before taking the badge", I hadn't thought of becoming a moderator. I did read the Banned Users Log frequently though.
3. There's a lot to do around the forums so I have to ask: what sub-forums/threads do you frequent most often and why?
Currently I'm mostly watching & posting in Weekly Race Series Time Trials and GT6 Seasonal Events - sub forums. Those are the places where even now, I get to compare my times and challenge others.
4. What was it that sparked your interest in Gran Turismo?
I'll blame my childhood friend for getting me interested in GT. It all started in a basement at my friend's parents house where my friend had 20' TV, Playstation console and GT. There were 5 of us taking turns trying to complete the GT

Licences.
5. I'm sure I know the answer, but how did you come up with the name "Mad Max"?
The name is inspired by the (current) trilogy's 2nd movie where Max Rockatansky is known by the name of Mad Max.
6. There's no controversy here so what's your flavor: Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport, neither, both, or something else altogether?
Flavor? I have tested one of the Forza games just once, played GT games for countless hours, so make a wild guess.
7. What was your initial reaction when the badge was presented to you?
Same as with this query, didn't expect to be offered such a thing.
8. GTP 12 is up and about, what are your thoughts?
The look is fresh and sophisticated. And almost all the buttons do what I expect them to do. Now where's that ejector seat button?
9. Gran Turismo 6 is finally here, what are you thoughts so far?
The career mode is kind a short, there is no UCD to cycle through and there is no speed test mode, but engine break-in is no longer needed and you have acces to all cars from the start. (if you can afford them) So it's ok and far less time

consuming that the first 5.
10. Talk a little about what you think you bring to GTPlanet and how you think you can continue to improve.
I'm no Santa Claus, but I try to give back as much as I've gotten from the forums as time permits. I'm currently working on a project - a list of GT6 car's specs.
11. A lot of fantastic-looking games are due out soon, what are you most looking forward to when it's all said and done at 11:59 on December 31st?
I don't play many games, but of those "few" I do, I look forward to their sequels.
12. What do you most like to do when it's time to just sit back and relax?
Sleep.
13. Tell us something interesting about your hometown.
The town's slogan is "Little big city"
14. If given the opportunity, if even for a moment, what would you do with GTPlanet?
No idea.
15. Do you have a question for me?
Yes, where were you at 911 ?
16. You are producing a 12-episode drama series for the BBC. The show can be anything you want and you can cast any living actors you want. What would it be and who would you cast?
Living actors, it'd be a sitcom/drama version of Walking Dead. :lol:
17. During your time on the staff have you ever wished you would have handled something differently, and, assuming you went through this phase, how long was the grace period from you questioning your initial actions whether

they be issued warnings, points, or bans from being too harsh to second nature when the need arises?
Yes, I've banned a person for reason x and afterwards the ban has been lifted. I did question my actions for awhile, but got over it.
18. Some would say our position is a lucrative one, others would say it's an excuse for us to be internet "tough guys" - what would your response be to both of these assumptions?
Lucrative, yes. To be able to judge others actions and as tough guys we retain peace and order.
19. In a world where our jobs here come with badges that are mailed to your place of residence, how do you treat said badge?
With care. IRL I'd put it in frames.
20. With all the bickering about Forza vs Gran Turismo, how about we get to the real question; which is better, F-Zero or WipEout?
I have no idea.
21. Have you ever been stalked or threatened with legal action because you're a moderator here?
No.
22. How envious are you to have never owned the 2.2L Camry knowing it can defeat all, perhaps even end the worldwide sum of debt, world hunger, purge Chernobyl, and a lot more?
None at all, I own a TE51.
23. If site moderation was a paid job, would any of you give up your current positions/ occupations to do it full time providing the pay was acceptable?
No.
24. On average, when generally browsing the forum and its many threads, how often do you come across a post or an entire thread that makes you scratch your head because you're just utterly puzzled?
Once in a while.
25. You're a WRS regular, what would mark down as one of the most inviting factors of the series, and not only that but what keeps one coming back for more?
The WRS TT's are about competing of who's the fastest and WRS Online is about having fun. What keeps me coming back, the people.
26. Where and when was your very first post here and how does it differ from your posting style used today?
Here. At the time I was active at d2jsp and was used to post using text speak. That has changed.
27. Off the top of your head, what is one of the most genuinely head-scratching conversations you've experienced while here?
MLP Brownies thread.. Having watched several episodes of that cartoon dubbed in finnish I still don't get it.
28. In case you haven't heard, YouTube channel /Drive recently adopted a PPV model with /Drive+ - $3.99 per month for episodes ranging from 10-15 minutes in length, whereas the older channel where this same content was

originally hosted has been shortened to 3-4 minutes in total. Do you think this was a wise decision on their behalf or does it just alienate and/or segregate viewers?
I'm not affected by the change, but I'd guess it segregates viewers to those who are ready to pay for more and to those that are not.
29. What's the longest you've gone without logging onto GTPlanet since joining: years, months, weeks, days, hours?
Probably 2-3 weeks.
30. Are you illegal in any number of states or entire countries?
No?
31. What's one significant change you'd like to see made to racing games in the next five years or so?
Freeroam, damage and insurance. If you wreck a car or even scratch it a little it can't be magically repaired by reloading the track/game. Would likely need some online server where the game is played from and where the data is stored. Sort

of online career mode.
32. Now it's time for the "Moderator Special": the entire staff has been away on leave for several weeks on business and you're the only active staffer left standing, what do you do?
Moderate. Survive.
33. What was your favorite game show growing up?
(finnish) Wheel of Fortune
34. How many electronic devices do you own, and is there anything out there that you've been eyeing for some time now but just havent' pulled the trigger on yet?
About 10. I'm about to buy a new screen for my PC. Screen or a TV , hmm..
35. If the 90's were good to you for any reason, reminisce a little - what's your favorite memory?
I was a kid in the 90's. So, getting a 26' bicycle was big back then.
36. If you were to indulge in the art of boutique car manufacturing what would your mission statement be?
Safety last.
37. What would you look for in bringing a new face into our elusive fold of moderator insanery?
Sanity.
38. Do you have any hobbies we should be made aware of?
No.
39. Anything else you'd like to say?
Yeah, I'll take my "sit back and relax" now.

MadMax, the mod I idolise the most. He`s the best. (Oh, I will say that after each and every staff interview. Except the "MadMax" part...)

Seems your hobby is sleeping and relaxing. Very simpatico. 👍

Last edited:
The recognition of new faces will continue, but this month we're going to put a little spin on the whole concept, but alas all good things come to an end, that's right ladies and gentlemen the finale is here - today ends the Member of the Week, Staff Edition. It's been a crazy ride and this entire week really proved to me that my original intentions would have burned me out within two weeks time.

There are only a select number of individuals capable of upholding this new concept; those that don't cower in the face of fame, those that don't regress when presented with the opportunity to shout from a rooftop "I'm better than you... on the internet!".

Those who live, breathe, and exhale the very essence of what makes GTPlanet the place that it has become and will continue to be - these are the approved traits of the archetype known only as The GTPlanet Illuminati, er, I mean the GTPlanet Moderation Staff and incidentally, the GTPlanet Member of the Week.

No matter where we go, people will either ignore or want to confront us, which is where our personal bodyguards come in. No matter what we say, everyone will interrupt and/or attempt to correct us. No matter what we're wearing, it will be made fun of for the next 10 years. So let us welcome the newest member to the League of Extraordinary GTPeople, and the fifteenth and last in line of staff interviews, Jordan!

1. First and foremost, this is a most special month for all of us involved in the workings of GTPlanet and I thought it was time for us to bare it all, allowing the community at large an opportunity to see us for who we all really are - which of course means you're officially GTPlanet's Member of the Week! Are you excited? Explosions!

*excitement intensifies*

2. What brought you to GTPlanet and was there ever a time before you took on the badge where you thought to yourself "I'd like to do that" only to then immediately regret said thought ever coming to mind?

Well, nothing “brought” me to GTPlanet, of course, but I can talk about what inspired me to create it. Although a strong interest in Gran Turismo was a major factor, I really just wanted to create a website about something I was interested in that would also be popular with other people.

I definitely don’t have any regrets, though there are times when the frustrations of working with and interacting with so many people can take its toll on me.

3. There's a lot to do around the forums so I have to ask: what sub-forums/threads do you frequent most often and why?
My browsing session typically begins in the GT6 and GT7 forums, to stay on top of the news and to keep my finger on the pulse with what everyone is saying about the games. I’ll then head to the Site Support and Moderator’s forums and deal with any work that needs to be done.

I really enjoy browsing the automotive forums, Infield, and Rumble Strip forums, though my current favorites are Opinions & Current Events and Computers & Tech. I’m really, really plugged in to all of the day’s technology news, so it can be interesting to see some of the more general perspectives from people in our community here. The speed and timeliness of the Opinions & Current Events forum also never ceases to impress me, and the diversity of ideas and opinions expressed can result in some thought-provoking debates.

4. What was it that sparked your interest in Gran Turismo?
I learned about the first game thanks to a print ad in Electronic Gaming Monthly, my favorite magazine at the time. Something about that car under the cover really captured my attention, and upon learning more about the game, I had to have it.

I’m not sure what you would call it (I’m not sure if the term “realist” fits in this case), but I’ve always been interested in “real” things. When I was young, for example, I liked playing with toys and models that were as realistic looking as possible. I wasn’t into dragons or comic books or fantastical stuff like that - I was too busy working on my LEGO City sets, laying out my own town on a 32-square-foot, green-painted table!

Of course, I played a lot of different types of video games growing up, but few had captured my attention like Gran Turismo did, and I think that was because it was one of the first “mainstream” simulators to hit the market. It spoke directly to my interest in reality, and my obsession with cars. To have a game like that, with real cars that you could also see on the road…I was so hooked! :D

5. It'd be a little silly to ask how you came up with your name (and I'm pretty sure I already asked you that during the ForzaPlanet days), so I'll go about this differently - you're known by many (incorrect) names: Jonden, Jordon, Jardon, and there are at least two others I can't remember at the moment, of the entire lot of community-appointed pseudonyms which of them are your favorite?
It’s funny because most people don’t mis-spell my name in real life, but people do seem to struggle with it here…despite the fact that it’s clearly spelled out for them any time they see it. :odd: My favorite mis-spelling is probably “Jonden”, because it’s just so hilariously wrong.

Actually, I can speak as to why I chose to use my name for my username on the site. There weren’t many other people to talk to around here in the early days, and I thought it would make other users more comfortable to converse with someone who wasn’t hiding behind a pseudonym, and in turn would make them want to “hang out” and spend more time in my community. I think it worked!

6. There's no controversy here so what's your flavor: Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport, neither, both, or something else altogether?
No controversy… are you sure about that? :P

Obviously, I have to go with Gran Turismo. Forza is very good, but I’ve never felt satisfied by the driving physics. The other games that I’m playing at the moment, Assetto Corsa and iRacing, are also very good, but both have their own shortcomings. Perhaps I’ve not done a good job of keeping my wheel calibrations up-to-date, but I’m actually not as impressed with AC as most people seem to be, and iRacing seems to be getting more difficult and less rewarding to drive and play.

I have mixed feelings about pCARS, and haven’t heard good things about its physics. I look forward to playing it, though, and I’d love to try it with an Oculus Rift.

7. What was your initial reaction when it became more and more apparent that the 'Planet was becoming the de-facto GT fan website?

It was a great feeling of accomplishment, because it’s really, really hard to build a strong online community. It’s not something anyone can buy or a big corporation can just build - it’s very organic and human, like tending to a bonsai tree or a garden, that grows slowly over time. To know that my community prevailed and thrived amongst its competition brings with it a tremendous sense of satisfaction and responsibility.

8. GTP 12 is up and about, what are your thoughts?
I absolutely love our new forum software platform, and it has exceeded my expectations in nearly every possible way. It’s easier to run, faster, quickly evolving (there’s some really cool features coming) and is much more fun to use.

User metrics have also reflected this - average time spent on the site nearly doubled overnight after I completed the upgrade and people are posting, liking, and communicating more than ever before. Conversations have also had a big impact on our community, increasing the volume of private messages exchanged by more than 300%.

I’m already eager to redo the layout and design, though, and I see a lot of areas for improvement.

9. Gran Turismo 6 is finally here, what are you thoughts so far?
I think the game itself is good, though I must echo many of the common complaints that anyone who’s reading this is all too familiar with, most notably the engine sounds and limited game events. I’ve been particularly irked at how the game has been handled post-release, though. There was so much excitement about the updates to come, and then nothing happened for months during the winter and early spring. It killed a lot of positive vibes and soured many people’s attitudes toward the franchise.

10. Talk a little about what you think you can do to continue expanding not only the outreach of GTPlanet, but how you can continue to evolve the feeling and presentation?
GTPlanet is the largest sim-racing website by a considerable margin, and people are playing a wider variety of racing games than ever before. I’d like to continue to expand our coverage and community to be even more inclusive and welcoming to fans of other racing games.

Racing leagues and online events are also going to be a major focus moving forward, which I’m eager to share more information about soon.

11. A lot of fantastic-looking games are due out soon, what are you most looking forward to when it's all said and done at 11:59 on December 31st?
I’m not interested in much outside of the driving/racing genre these days, so my list includes the usual suspects - Drive Club, Project CARS, and Forza Horizon 2. I think they’ll set the benchmark for the current generation of racing games, and the standard that Polyphony Digital will need to exceed for Gran Turismo 7.

12. What do you most like to do when it's time to just sit back and relax?
I find that walking, jogging, or working out is the best way for me to relax and let off steam. Of course, watching a good TV show or spending time with friends is probably the most relaxing way for me to “reset” my brain these days.

14. If the roles were reversed and you were just on the moderation team and the site was owned by one of us, what would your "outside looking in" attitude be?
I would probably be much be more aggressive in handing out infractions, warnings, and correcting people in the forums. Often I will wait for a moderator to deal with scuffles between members because of the way most people perceive disciplinary action. When it comes from a moderator, it seems easier for people to separate that action from the site. When I personally speak or hand out an infraction, it carries the full weight of the site behind it, and those people tend to react or revolt against GTPlanet as a whole.

Therefore, I think it’s important from a sociological perspective to have a type of buffer between the staff and myself, the person who represents the site. People might get angry at a police officer, for example, but they can still feel a sense of pride for their local community.

15. Do you have a question for me?
When are you going to be member of the week? :D

16. You are producing a 12-episode drama series for the BBC. The show can be anything you want and you can cast any living actors you want. What would it be and who would you cast?
It seems I always get different ideas for shows, but now my mind is going blank, of course! I really should start writing them down…

Anyways, I love entrepreneurship, and I think a well-produced show could tell a great story around an easy-to-like protagonist who is trying to build their own business. Business-minded people are almost always portrayed negatively, as aggressive fat-cats or jerks, but that’s not what most people who actually run businesses are really like. I have absolutely no idea who I’d cast, though!

17. During your time as site owner have you ever wished you would have handled something differently, and, assuming you went through this phase, how long was the grace period from you questioning your initial actions whether they be issued warnings, points, or bans from being too harsh to second nature when the need arises?
Not really - the only regrets I can really think of were for not taking action sooner against problems that I could see starting to manifest. Every mistake that I have made has been a great learning experience which has almost always proved itself to be valuable again at times in the future.

18. Some would say our position is a lucrative one, others would say it's an excuse for us to be internet "tough guys" - what would your response be to both of these assumptions?
It can be really rewarding to help steward and lead a growing online community as a moderator, so I understand how it can be seen as lucrative. I’ve also been on the receiving end of sour moderators in other communities, and I know how irritated it can make you feel.

What most people - both moderators and users - fail to do, though, is imagine themselves in the other person’s shoes. Not everyone is as familiar with our community’s standards of behavior as we are, and just because a moderator corrects you doesn’t mean they are a jerk or a horrible person - they just don’t know anything about you other than what you’ve just posted, so that is something to keep in mind.

19. I don't know if you've ever been asked this, but how exciting is it to wake up every morning knowing that GTPlanet is here, and on the reverse of things, how terrifying is it to wake up every morning knowing GTPlanet is here knowing full well next to anything can be waiting in your inbox?

First thing, every single morning, I get a small adrenaline rush as I reach for my iPhone or iPad to see what’s in my Inbox (that’s probably not healthy!). Invitations to media events or GT news are the most exciting messages to receive, of course, and the hate-mail designed to remind me of what a horrible person I am and how bad GTPlanet are fall on the other end of the spectrum. You really never know what you’re going to get each day.

The most interesting thing, though, is to see how people try to manipulate and influence me. I get a lot of people asking me to do little things or to work with them on their projects. Add this, post about this, stop talking about that, change this, tell Kazunori about this, try this, work with me on this, promote this, etc.

Although many people do seem to have good intentions, it’s simply impossible for me to cooperate with all the requests, so I have to say “no” a lot and that can be difficult. It is mentally taxing and time consuming, because every message requires me to make a decision on whether or not what the person is suggestion or wants me to do is actually a good idea.

20. With all the bickering about Forza vs Gran Turismo, how about we get to the real question; which is better, F-Zero or WipEout?
I loved F-Zero X on Nintendo 64! Good times.

21. Have you ever been stalked or threatened with legal action because of your position here?

Oh, absolutely, I’ve seen people trying to dig up my personal information, phone number, location, etc. Threats of legal action occur on a very regular basis.

22. How envious are you to have never owned the 2.2L Camry knowing it can defeat all, perhaps even end the worldwide sum of debt, world hunger, purge Chernobyl, and a lot more?
It has long been a source of depression for me, but I’m working on it.

23. You've met a lot of people as a direct result of the closely-knit community here, so my question is is there anyone else that's a member here that you've yet to meet where you'd jump at the opportunity to do so?
That would have to be @Famine. He has done so much for this community - online and off - and I would like to thank him in person.

24. On average, when generally browsing the forum and its many threads, how often do you come across a post or an entire thread that makes you scratch your head because you're just utterly puzzled?
I spend a lot of time in the GT forums, so probably once per minute.

25. As I mentioned before while Touring Mars was in the hot seat, once upon a time I wasn't the most ideal member. I was never along the likes of others who just never stop, but my membership status before now wasn't without warnings and infractions, and I've asked you this more than once but for the sake of things being new here at what point did you gloss over my contributions and think to yourself "Yeah, he's got it even if he doesn't know it."?

I'll bare something else as well, and I don't know if you'll recall this but there was a point where I actually asked if I could be on the team as a moderator. Am I the first person to ask and then indirectly succeed at it? :lol:

Yes, I recall you have asked me this before, but I don’t remember what I said! Right now, I think I’d have to say that it’s because you care - about this community and about the people in it. You’re empathetic, friendly, and engaged, all of which make great qualities for a forum moderator.

I think a few other members of the staff may have become moderators after inquiring about it, but that’s been a very long time ago!

26. Where and when was your very first post here and how does it differ from your posting style used today?
My first post was here, and it’s actually the very first message posted on GTPlanet. In retrospect, it was incredibly unceremonious, but I had no idea what I was doing and didn’t expect it to actually work! :lol:

My posting style has definitely changed. I seemed to be much more cheerful back then; I suppose the stress, reality, and responsibilities of adulthood have taken their toll on me.

27. Off the top of your head, what is one of the most genuinely head-scratching conversations you've experienced while here?

Wow, there has been a lot, but without question the first thing that comes to mind is the classic “I SHOULD ME ADMIN”.

I think that was a legitimate question, but the thought process (or lack thereof) which would lead someone to post that is disturbing.

28. In case you haven't heard, YouTube channel /Drive recently adopted a PPV model with /Drive+ - $3.99 per month for episodes ranging from 10-15 minutes in length, whereas the older channel where this same content was originally hosted has been shortened to 3-4 minutes in total. Do you think this was a wise decision on their behalf or does it just alienate and/or segregate viewers?
Without knowing what their revenue numbers looked like, it’s impossible to judge the wisdom of their decision. Although I obviously would prefer their content to be free, I hope they do whatever earns them the most money, because I love what they do and I want them to be encouraged to do it more.

I found their community’s backlash against the changes to be offensive and naive, and it is a perfect example of why everyone who enjoys using the internet as it is today should hope that internet advertising (which was previously /DRIVE’s only source of revenue) remains a viable business model for free content creators and free online sites and services.

When internet advertising stops working (and that’s already starting to happen, thanks to AdBlock, ad fraud, and malware), you can say goodbye to the endless supply of all the amazing things you can watch and do on the internet for free, and hello to subscription payments like /DRIVE’s. They may be the proverbial “canary in the coal mine”.

29. What's the longest you've gone without logging onto GTPlanet since its creation: years, months, weeks, days, hours?
I think it was three days, around final exams during school. I was still checking on the site and checking email constantly, though, just to make sure there were no emergencies.

30. Are you illegal in any number of states or entire countries?
Nope! I should be good to go anywhere.

31. What's one significant change you'd like to see made to racing games in the next five years or so?
I would like to see a greater focus in user-generated content and sharing tools. Sharing content like tracks, cars, or tunes is really compelling, and I hope the GT6 GPS Course Maker marks the start of that for Gran Turismo. Just look at the success games like ModNation Racers and Little Big Planet have had with UGC.

32. Now it's time for the "Moderator Special": the entire staff has been away on leave for several weeks on business and you're the only active staffer left standing, what do you do?
I’d have a lot of extra work to do for those few weeks!

33. What was your favorite game show growing up?
Probably “The Price is Right”, though I think my favorite game show was/is probably “Who Wants to be a Millionaire?” I just love the simple format and you can learn a lot from the questions.

34. How many electronic devices do you own, and is there anything out there that you've been eyeing for some time now but just havent' pulled the trigger on yet?
So many! I could spend all day listing them all, but I really, really want an Oculus Rift. I’m just not sure if I should pull the trigger on the dev kit or wait until the consumer version is released.

35. If the 90's were good to you for any reason, reminisce a little - what's your favorite memory?
The 90s contained almost all of my childhood, so yes, I have some of my best memories from this decade… One of the best and most relevant is probably just playing Gran Turismo in the evenings while my mom prepares one of my favorite home-cooked meals in the kitchen. It was a cozy, simple time, and just felt like home.

36. If you were to indulge in the art of boutique car manufacturing what would your mission statement be?
I’d probably borrow Pirelli’s marketing line: “Power is nothing without control,” and focus on building small, lightweight cars that were affordable and very fun to drive.

37. What would you look for in bringing a new face into our elusive fold of moderator insanery?
Empathy, kindness, reliability, maturity, and an appreciation for and understanding of what makes GTPlanet’s community special.

38. Do you have any hobbies we should be made aware of?
Not really…though I do enjoy playing golf!

39. Anything else you'd like to say?
Thank you for all the work that you do to make these member interviews possible. I have learned so much about people that I’ve known for a long time, and these types of things really bring the community together in ways which are impossible to measure. I would also like to thank the moderation staff here for being a part of this community - reading all of your interviews reminds me just how fortunate I am to have such an incredible team of people to help steward, grow, and foster GTPlanet. You are all a defining factor in its ongoing success and have a lot to be proud of.

:gtpflag:

The recognition of new faces will continue, but this month we're going to put a little spin on the whole concept, but alas all good things come to an end, that's right ladies and gentlemen the finale is here - today ends the Member of the Week, Staff Edition. It's been a crazy ride and this entire week really proved to me that my original intentions would have burned me out within two weeks time.

No matter where we go, people will either ignore or want to confront us, which is where our personal bodyguards come in. No matter what we say, everyone will interrupt and/or attempt to correct us. No matter what we're wearing, it will be made fun of for the next 10 years. So let us welcome the newest member to the League of Extraordinary GTPeople, and the fifteenth and last in line of staff interviews, Jordan!

*excitement intensifies*

Well, nothing “brought” me to GTPlanet, of course, but I can talk about what inspired me to create it. Although a strong interest in Gran Turismo was a major factor, I really just wanted to create a website about something I was interested in that would also be popular with other people.

I definitely don’t have any regrets, though there are times when the frustrations of working with and interacting with so many people can take its toll on me.

My browsing session typically begins in the GT6 and GT7 forums, to stay on top of the news and to keep my finger on the pulse with what everyone is saying about the games. I’ll then head to the Site Support and Moderator’s forums and deal with any work that needs to be done.

I really enjoy browsing the automotive forums, Infield, and Rumble Strip forums, though my current favorites are Opinions & Current Events and Computers & Tech. I’m really, really plugged in to all of the day’s technology news, so it can be interesting to see some of the more general perspectives from people in our community here. The speed and timeliness of the Opinions & Current Events forum also never ceases to impress me, and the diversity of ideas and opinions expressed can result in some thought-provoking debates.

I learned about the first game thanks to a print ad in Electronic Gaming Monthly, my favorite magazine at the time. Something about that car under the cover really captured my attention, and upon learning more about the game, I had to have it.

I’m not sure what you would call it (I’m not sure if the term “realist” fits in this case), but I’ve always been interested in “real” things. When I was young, for example, I liked playing with toys and models that were as realistic looking as possible. I wasn’t into dragons or comic books or fantastical stuff like that - I was too busy working on my LEGO City sets, laying out my own town on a 32-square-foot, green-painted table!

Of course, I played a lot of different types of video games growing up, but few had captured my attention like Gran Turismo did, and I think that was because it was one of the first “mainstream” simulators to hit the market. It spoke directly to my interest in reality, and my obsession with cars. To have a game like that, with real cars that you could also see on the road…I was so hooked! :D

It’s funny because most people don’t mis-spell my name in real life, but people do seem to struggle with it here…despite the fact that it’s clearly spelled out for them any time they see it. :odd: My favorite mis-spelling is probably “Jonden”, because it’s just so hilariously wrong.

Actually, I can speak as to why I chose to use my name for my username on the site. There weren’t many other people to talk to around here in the early days, and I thought it would make other users more comfortable to converse with someone who wasn’t hiding behind a pseudonym, and in turn would make them want to “hang out” and spend more time in my community. I think it worked!

No controversy… are you sure about that? :P

Obviously, I have to go with Gran Turismo. Forza is very good, but I’ve never felt satisfied by the driving physics. The other games that I’m playing at the moment, Assetto Corsa and iRacing, are also very good, but both have their own shortcomings. Perhaps I’ve not done a good job of keeping my wheel calibrations up-to-date, but I’m actually not as impressed with AC as most people seem to be, and iRacing seems to be getting more difficult and less rewarding to drive and play.

I have mixed feelings about pCARS, and haven’t heard good things about its physics. I look forward to playing it, though, and I’d love to try it with an Oculus Rift.

It was a great feeling of accomplishment, because it’s really, really hard to build a strong online community. It’s not something anyone can buy or a big corporation can just build - it’s very organic and human, like tending to a bonsai tree or a garden, that grows slowly over time. To know that my community prevailed and thrived amongst its competition brings with it a tremendous sense of satisfaction and responsibility.

I absolutely love our new forum software platform, and it has exceeded my expectations in nearly every possible way. It’s easier to run, faster, quickly evolving (there’s some really cool features coming) and is much more fun to use.

User metrics have also reflected this - average time spent on the site nearly doubled overnight after I completed the upgrade and people are posting, liking, and communicating more than ever before. Conversations have also had a big impact on our community, increasing the volume of private messages exchanged by more than 300%.

I’m already eager to redo the layout and design, though, and I see a lot of areas for improvement.

I think the game itself is good, though I must echo many of the common complaints that anyone who’s reading this is all too familiar with, most notably the engine sounds and limited game events. I’ve been particularly irked at how the game has been handled post-release, though. There was so much excitement about the updates to come, and then nothing happened for months during the winter and early spring. It killed a lot of positive vibes and soured many people’s attitudes toward the franchise.

GTPlanet is the largest sim-racing website by a considerable margin, and people are playing a wider variety of racing games than ever before. I’d like to continue to expand our coverage and community to be even more inclusive and welcoming to fans of other racing games.

Racing leagues and online events are also going to be a major focus moving forward, which I’m eager to share more information about soon.

I’m not interested in much outside of the driving/racing genre these days, so my list includes the usual suspects - Drive Club, Project CARS, and Forza Horizon 2. I think they’ll set the benchmark for the current generation of racing games, and the standard that Polyphony Digital will need to exceed for Gran Turismo 7.

I find that walking, jogging, or working out is the best way for me to relax and let off steam. Of course, watching a good TV show or spending time with friends is probably the most relaxing way for me to “reset” my brain these days.

I would probably be much be more aggressive in handing out infractions, warnings, and correcting people in the forums. Often I will wait for a moderator to deal with scuffles between members because of the way most people perceive disciplinary action. When it comes from a moderator, it seems easier for people to separate that action from the site. When I personally speak or hand out an infraction, it carries the full weight of the site behind it, and those people tend to react or revolt against GTPlanet as a whole.

Therefore, I think it’s important from a sociological perspective to have a type of buffer between the staff and myself, the person who represents the site. People might get angry at a police officer, for example, but they can still feel a sense of pride for their local community.

It seems I always get different ideas for shows, but now my mind is going blank, of course! I really should start writing them down…

Anyways, I love entrepreneurship, and I think a well-produced show could tell a great story around an easy-to-like protagonist who is trying to build their own business. Business-minded people are almost always portrayed negatively, as aggressive fat-cats or jerks, but that’s not what most people who actually run businesses are really like. I have absolutely no idea who I’d cast, though!

Not really - the only regrets I can really think of were for not taking action sooner against problems that I could see starting to manifest. Every mistake that I have made has been a great learning experience which has almost always proved itself to be valuable again at times in the future.

It can be really rewarding to help steward and lead a growing online community as a moderator, so I understand how it can be seen as lucrative. I’ve also been on the receiving end of sour moderators in other communities, and I know how irritated it can make you feel.

What most people - both moderators and users - fail to do, though, is imagine themselves in the other person’s shoes. Not everyone is as familiar with our community’s standards of behavior as we are, and just because a moderator corrects you doesn’t mean they are a jerk or a horrible person - they just don’t know anything about you other than what you’ve just posted, so that is something to keep in mind.

First thing, every single morning, I get a small adrenaline rush as I reach for my iPhone or iPad to see what’s in my Inbox (that’s probably not healthy!). Invitations to media events or GT news are the most exciting messages to receive, of course, and the hate-mail designed to remind me of what a horrible person I am and how bad GTPlanet are fall on the other end of the spectrum. You really never know what you’re going to get each day.

The most interesting thing, though, is to see how people try to manipulate and influence me. I get a lot of people asking me to do little things or to work with them on their projects. Add this, post about this, stop talking about that, change this, tell Kazunori about this, try this, work with me on this, promote this, etc.

Although many people do seem to have good intentions, it’s simply impossible for me to cooperate with all the requests, so I have to say “no” a lot and that can be difficult. It is mentally taxing and time consuming, because every message requires me to make a decision on whether or not what the person is suggestion or wants me to do is actually a good idea.

I loved F-Zero X on Nintendo 64! Good times.

Oh, absolutely, I’ve seen people trying to dig up my personal information, phone number, location, etc. Threats of legal action occur on a very regular basis.

It has long been a source of depression for me, but I’m working on it.

That would have to be @Famine. He has done so much for this community - online and off - and I would like to thank him in person.

I spend a lot of time in the GT forums, so probably once per minute.

Yes, I recall you have asked me this before, but I don’t remember what I said! Right now, I think I’d have to say that it’s because you care - about this community and about the people in it. You’re empathetic, friendly, and engaged, all of which make great qualities for a forum moderator.

I think a few other members of the staff may have become moderators after inquiring about it, but that’s been a very long time ago!

My first post was here, and it’s actually the very first message posted on GTPlanet. In retrospect, it was incredibly unceremonious, but I had no idea what I was doing and didn’t expect it to actually work! :lol:

My posting style has definitely changed. I seemed to be much more cheerful back then; I suppose the stress, reality, and responsibilities of adulthood have taken their toll on me.

Wow, there has been a lot, but without question the first thing that comes to mind is the classic “I SHOULD ME ADMIN”.

I think that was a legitimate question, but the thought process (or lack thereof) which would lead someone to post that is disturbing.

Without knowing what their revenue numbers looked like, it’s impossible to judge the wisdom of their decision. Although I obviously would prefer their content to be free, I hope they do whatever earns them the most money, because I love what they do and I want them to be encouraged to do it more.

I found their community’s backlash against the changes to be offensive and naive, and it is a perfect example of why everyone who enjoys using the internet as it is today should hope that internet advertising (which was previously /DRIVE’s only source of revenue) remains a viable business model for free content creators and free online sites and services.

When internet advertising stops working (and that’s already starting to happen, thanks to AdBlock, ad fraud, and malware), you can say goodbye to the endless supply of all the amazing things you can watch and do on the internet for free, and hello to subscription payments like /DRIVE’s. They may be the proverbial “canary in the coal mine”.

I think it was three days, around final exams during school. I was still checking on the site and checking email constantly, though, just to make sure there were no emergencies.

Nope! I should be good to go anywhere.

I would like to see a greater focus in user-generated content and sharing tools. Sharing content like tracks, cars, or tunes is really compelling, and I hope the GT6 GPS Course Maker marks the start of that for Gran Turismo. Just look at the success games like ModNation Racers and Little Big Planet have had with UGC.

I’d have a lot of extra work to do for those few weeks!

Probably “The Price is Right”, though I think my favorite game show was/is probably “Who Wants to be a Millionaire?” I just love the simple format and you can learn a lot from the questions.

So many! I could spend all day listing them all, but I really, really want an Oculus Rift. I’m just not sure if I should pull the trigger on the dev kit or wait until the consumer version is released.

The 90s contained almost all of my childhood, so yes, I have some of my best memories from this decade… One of the best and most relevant is probably just playing Gran Turismo in the evenings while my mom prepares one of my favorite home-cooked meals in the kitchen. It was a cozy, simple time, and just felt like home.

I’d probably borrow Pirelli’s marketing line: “Power is nothing without control,” and focus on building small, lightweight cars that were affordable and very fun to drive.

Empathy, kindness, reliability, maturity, and an appreciation for and understanding of what makes GTPlanet’s community special.

Not really…though I do enjoy playing golf!

Thank you for all the work that you do to make these member interviews possible. I have learned so much about people that I’ve known for a long time, and these types of things really bring the community together in ways which are impossible to measure. I would also like to thank the moderation staff here for being a part of this community - reading all of your interviews reminds me just how fortunate I am to have such an incredible team of people to help steward, grow, and foster GTPlanet. You are all a defining factor in its ongoing success and have a lot to be proud of.

:gtpflag:

You forgot to ask him when next update is :P - congrats to the boss himself, @Jordan :cheers: :gtpflag:

Jordan
While there's most certainly an interview lined up for later this evening, I was thinking what should be done for those that wanted to see me in the hot seat and I've had this planned since the beginning, instead of doing the usual interview here and since I'm usually available, I can do a live interview in the form of a Twitch stream session.

What would this entail you ask? You stop by and ask as many questions as you want and I'll answer them (within reason of course!) and you'll also have the freedom of watching (and criticizing) my driving skillz while playing some Project Cars and, time permitting, Assetto Corsa. That's a pretty good arrangement I'd imagine.

It's set to take place at around 9PM EST at the absolute latest so if you're available do stop on by! I'll have the link to my Twitch page when I'm about to go live.
Sorry @Jordan, he was already interviewed. :P

On the other hand, GTPlanet has done so much for me online and off that I'd like to thank @Jordan in person :D I've been, seen and done things because of GTP in the last 6 years that I wouldn't have believed 6 years ago.

Although I've been to the USA three times and Jordan's been over here once in that time, we've never actually met - and that surprises quite a few people. Including Jordan's family who I'm told ask questions like "Wait, you wrote a book with some guy you never met?"

Nicely done, @MadMax and @Jonden. :cheers:

Jordan
All you had to do was ask me to stop. :guilty:

So I'm going to be taking a short break from all of this. Things will resume as normal (an interview every Friday) on the 19th of August September.

Until then you're all free to submit some new questions and nominate new members for the spot!

Last edited:
I finally (again) got up to date with the interviews. Great reads all. It was loads of fun remembering the "I SHOULD ME ADMIN" thing, and finally getting to know what the hecking heck the entire Carlos Kavros thing was. I had seen it mentioned before in other threads but had never had the almost sexual pleasure of reading trough it. It has to be some of the weirdest stuff I've ever read.

Also, it's awesome that GTPlanet actually has it's own canon that only members can appreciate/understand :lol:

Back