Official Shift 2 Physics General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter ///M-Spec
  • 190 comments
Also remember the slow settings on the dampers are how the car reacts to you're inputs. If its handling the bumps and dips fine but is a little to loose when you hit the gas, lower the front slow rebound or the rear slow bump. Dont mess with the fast settings if its handling the bumps. I run mostly high hp rear drives and have the front slow rebound at 0 or 1 on most of them. From testing this seams to do what i think it dose (should do). When i hit the gas the front pops up and plants the rear.

Just bought Shift 2 2nd hand for €10,-
And I must say I'm happily surprised.

I'm not convinced to desert GT5 but it's a nice change every now and then.

Facts are:

- GT5 is quite realistic until you put racing tires at your car
- I never played a console-based racing sim that could match a PC-only title like GTR or GT Legends.
- Driving at a computer can NEVER match the real deal which might be driving a real car, let it be a race car or not.

1. Agreed except Racing Hards are realistic except they're more like super soft tires in real life. Racing medium and soft are unrealistic.

2. GTR and anything by simbin are bad examples in my opinion. With the right tires like you said, GT5 beats anything simbin makes. The accuracy of the car handling in GT5 is incredible, and although it may be less sim oriented than simbin games, it's core driving physics are still more realistic

3. You're right. Even the best of the best simulators, netKar Pro, still is not a full simulation. It's impossible to make a full simulation for a number of reasons. That's just how it is, but it doesn't stop us from enjoying simulators, and doesn't stop developers from trying to improve simulators little by little

S2U has really good physics just waiting to be "unleashed" ..... So i think the physics are there you just have to find them.

I agree, at the beginning I was very sceptic about S2U, but if you take the time to set the wheel, then play with the settings of the car, you will be rewarded with a great ( sim) driving and very entertaining AI to race with. The physics is very good. A good sign for me of how good is the physics is how constant you can you be in your lapping, once you lap a track withing 100's of a second at higth velocity, lap after lap, it means the sim is giving you understandable feedback.
Sim, is so far from real driving, than trying to state wich one is closer, is less important to me than wich one is enjoyable day after day.
I am starting to enjoy S2U.:)

Picked up the game again during this weekend after 4 months... I decided to activate all the assists (except brake assist and TCS on low) since this game is almost unplayable with a controller. (In my experience. I tried many solutions, but none of them workd for me :guilty:)

Thanks to the assists, I finally made some progress: I completed all class A events, and I'm about to go for the Class A Championship Series...

And also, most importantly... I had fun with this game :) Something I couldn't experience before... 👍

Last edited:
I agree, at the beginning I was very sceptic about S2U, but if you take the time to set the wheel, then play with the settings of the car, you will be rewarded with a great ( sim) driving and very entertaining AI to race with. The physics is very good. A good sign for me of how good is the physics is how constant you can you be in your lapping, once you lap a track withing 100's of a second at higth velocity, lap after lap, it means the sim is giving you understandable feedback.
Sim, is so far from real driving, than trying to state wich one is closer, is less important to me than wich one is enjoyable day after day.
I am starting to enjoy S2U.:)

For me the killer of the entire game is not just the physics, which are actually quite easy to get used to, but the damn collision physics. The smallest bump will completely disturb your control of the car, and that's just not how it's supposed to be. It's not even that unforgiving in iracing, I don't understand why in Grid and Shift 2 they make cars more sensitive to collisions than real life. They're games directed at casual players, so why make it like that. It makes online racing near impossible, and the AI crashes into you all the time. The fact that I use a wheel doesn't help but even still, it's ridiculous

It's realistic that's why. A slightest touch can send a car rolling. This ain't Gran Turismo where every car is a rolling brick wall.

The one thing I hate is when you hit an AI car, or they hit you, you just stick to it like glue...
Big plus: the AI goes off as well; not like GT5 where the AI drives on rails and every bump result in YOUR car to spin out while they drive on without harm.

It's realistic that's why. A slightest touch can send a car rolling. This ain't Gran Turismo where every car is a rolling brick wall.

Agreed. That's what makes this game more "alive" than GT5, you have to be clean and precise with your manouvers on the track... one mistake, touching the grass, an opponent... and your race is as good as done...

Of course, you can use this for your advantage, like me yesterday... when I rammed from behind the leading Skyline in the A Class Championship races on all the 3 tracks... left him out of competition on the 1st 2 races :)

The one thing I hate is when you hit an AI car, or they hit you, you just stick to it like glue...
That's the only thing I hate from the game now, but again... that's why you have to be clean with your drving... and most importantly... when you overtake...

Last edited:
That's the only thing I hate from the game now, but again... that's why you have to be clean with your drving... and most importantly... when you overtake...

Agreed, but if you slide up the inside without contact, the AI take avoiding action and serve off of the racing line. It works every time - a good exploit!👍

That's absolute nonsense, I didn't mention GT5, I mentioned Iracing, and if you really think Shift 2 is more realistic than iracing you need a reality check my friend. Iracings collisions are much closer to GT5 than Shift 2, shift is just exaggerated like crazy. I will give you that the AI cars feel like bricks in GT5, they're unrealistically good at reacting to collisions to the point where it's almost impossible to spin them and they feel like a brick wall, but that's not how it is online with human drivers. Not to mention in shift, the cars stick together hahaha That game is such a joke I don't even know why I'm bothering arguing with the very few fans it has

I'm at lvl 13 right now, physics and handling are okay...
until now :(
I'm doing the eliminator event with a Viper (my 1st fast car);
It's uncontrollable on the straights...
Now I've read that this applies for all fast cars.
If so, then that's a big disappointment :(
Don't know if I can finish career mode like this...

Yeah... I remember that... I had the same problem...

Do this: Enable the Steering assist 👍

On DS3, (PS3) I think it's the only way to get past this game... because without it, controlling any fast car on straights it's almost impossible (from my point of view).

Don't feel bad for doing it, though :) It's ok to use assists, after all, it's a game, it's for fun :sly:

Have fun and good luck!:)

Do this: Enable the Steering assist 👍

On DS3, (PS3) I think it's the only way to get past this game... because without it, controlling any fast car on straights it's almost impossible (from my point of view).

think you just need to be gentle on the steering, forget gt5, it´s a complete different game, if you turn to much the car will be able to drift around itself on the corner..., you need to turn on the corner angle, not to the maximum of like gt5, you got many more tunes options, including steering lock (maximum very sensitive, minimum very smooth)...try push your deadzones and sensivity to the extreme max and extreme minimum...you´ll find what suits you best...
if you are having trouble to go straight push your caster angle to the max...just remember with that you ll need to turn much earlier for the corners...
steer assist don´t allow you to turn to much, you just need to do that by yourself...in my opinion the gumpert is the easier fast car to learn...after it you can drive the veyron or the lambo with your eyes closed....in this game pad and wheels can make the same laptimes (i used both), wich is very fair in my opinion for a console game.
cheers

I've got my g25 set up according to settings on this forum.
The steering input lag is almost gone, but the problem I face now is that fast cars keep swinging left to right when the wheel is centered (on straights).
Deadzone is set to 0%, sensitivity to 5%.
Speed sensitivity is at 100%.

The first time I noticed the car going left to right on the straights was during the Lotus Exige challenge.

I find it annoying that you can't drive steady on a straight road.

got you...this car you ll not able to change tunes, not a big fan of the lotus to be honest ,but in your cars there´s a few things you can do to fix this...example, full downforce, than between 4 and 7 clicks less on the front...(18,24 veyron)...other is stance..rwd cars i normally use 2 or 3 more on the rear...(0,2..1,3...2,5)...awd same front and rear (0,0...2,2)
i got this problem a lot on the f1 mclaren...couldn´t fix it...all the others drive very well

if you have the limited ed. got to single type events, nice balanced fast cars there, cheers

I remember this. It is very hard because you can't tune out the problems with the loaner cars. At first I got very frustrated, but I just kept practicing. Once you manage it you'll feel great as well as being much better at handling the more challenging cars in the game :)

I have had the game since release and I still haven't done more than 20% of the career mode. I just love setting up quick races for 5 or 10 laps - awesome stuff!

Just remember it is the race that is the reward not the result :)

True ;)
Maybe I should set difficulty back to easy in loner events, or try them with a controller (don't know if cars face the same problems as they do with a wheel).

^also you can dial out some of the twitchiness by adjusting the castor angle to a much lower amount - I normally reduce t to around 11 or 12. Also adjusting the LSD towards straight line traction can help.👍

Thanx for the tips, I will try them in the normal events :)
For the loaner events however, you can't adjust anything...

You might not be able to tune the car, but you can tune the controller's settings. For the loaner events, try lowering the Throttle Sensitivity settings a bit so that it's more of a gradual application of power. A bit of a pain, yes, but give it a try if you're stuck...

Have a good one

Last edited:
I've got my g25 set up according to settings on this forum.
The steering input lag is almost gone, but the problem I face now is that fast cars keep swinging left to right when the wheel is centered (on straights).
Deadzone is set to 0%, sensitivity to 5%.
Speed sensitivity is at 100%.

The first time I noticed the car going left to right on the straights was during the Lotus Exige challenge.

I find it annoying that you can't drive steady on a straight road.

Turn the Speed Sensitivity to 0%. I am sure you will find it's completely different game...less twitchy :)

Last edited:
I tried several things, none really helped.
It just won't work right.
I don't think I'm going to finish this game (and I'm only at 11%), at least not with my G25 as it is almost impossible.

I tried several things, none really helped.
It just won't work right.
I don't think I'm going to finish this game (and I'm only at 11%), at least not with my G25 as it is almost impossible.

Tune the car. Bring the castor angle down to 11 and make the LSD more straight line/less cornering. If the back end keeps stepping out then soften the rear suspension/roll bars. But the castor angle for me was a revelation. It does reduce the steering lock but at the hair pins in the Miami tracks I use the e-brake to swing the rear around. Hope that helps.👍

Just seen I've repeated myself. I guess you have tried those suggestions above. My bad, doh!

Last edited:
Thanx for the tips though :)
I haven't tried your custom tune settings, as I am stuck at the Viper eliminator race, in which you "loan" the Viper and are not able to tune anything.

Cars in my garage on the other hand, they can be tuned all the way.
These however do not need a tune because they drive pretty well (cuurently driving an Evo X most of the time).
I will skip this event for now and continue with the career mode, hopefully it gets fun again ;)

Just wondering... anybody has 100% on career mode??? :confused:

Currently sitting at 57%, almost all drift events missing, all GT3 and Works missing and no GT1 ulocked yet...

Back