Official Toyota GR Supra GT Cup Launches April 2019

• Thread starter AKps3
  • 475 comments
If no pitting works at BMB and La Sarthe (the 2 tracks with most priority to speed), you can forget about pitting for the rest of the season. Just stick it in FM4 and short shift. There's your strategy ;)

Went better than expected starting from a suprising 2nd.
20190518_162714.jpg

Omg for some reason i thought this weeks race was nurb 24 for supra so i didn't participate... dam. Missed out on a fav.

^(MCA) Interesting thing there is winner ran 24:34...we were pacing better than that in practice. Shows how the strategy is kind of hard to calculate, because pitting we were running :17's. That seeming complicates the process further, in a way.

What's your thoughts?

Oh hey, here's a video no one asked for! :D

Well, for reference, I went back to my race replay to give some relevant data.

The winner in my race ran 24:08 and pitted/changed tire, as did everyone else. I ran a 24:40 and got 14th, and I had 2 offs in this race. My lack of tire change did allow me to jump up...so...the strategy we discussed was the winner for sure. The winner in your room would've been 12th or so based upon his pace.

The interesting fact is, I got just under 800 pts for running a 24:40, while in a notch down room you got 1500 pts for running 24:43. There is something to be said with not being in the top room at times, that's for sure.

Seems the idea is, you run at the top, but if you go down in the ranks, you go to a lower room, where higher points becomes achievable, pushing you back up...so that's interesting as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont get the points system per race.
I only got like 1700 for the win at le sarthe but other races got over 2k for wins..?

Last edited:
Well, for reference, I went back to my race replay to give some relevant data.

The winner in my race ran 24:08 and pitted/changed tire, as did everyone else. I ran a 24:40 and got 14th, and I had 2 offs in this race. My lack of tire change did allow me to jump up...so...the strategy we discussed was the winner for sure. The winner in your room would've been 12th or so based upon his pace.

The interesting fact is, I got just under 800 pts for running a 24:40, while in a notch down room you got 1500 pts for running 24:43. There is something to be said with not being in the top room at times, that's for sure.

Seems the idea is, you run at the top, but if you go down in the ranks, you go to a lower room, where higher points becomes achievable, pushing you back up...so that's interesting as well.
First place pitted, but if I was right behind him, I would have had a fighting chance for victory.

The points system is an issue. One of Tigney's videos highlights this issue; where I, in the 3rd split, can get more points than folks in the 2nd and 1st split.

Last edited:
I dont get the points system per race.
I only got like 1700 for the win at le sarthe but other races got over 2k for wins..?

The points are definitely higher based upon who is in the room, you're racing against. The harder the competition (likely based upon their current rank in the series) will yield higher points. I had questioned if your qualifying position plays into it...which I cant identify.

Only thing I can say is, I got 6th in a top level room and got nearly 1600pts, versus people who won races and got less. Another issue is, if you aren't A+ or S, your ability to get top points is very unlikely. You need to online race more, get A+ (if you're not...I don't know if you are) so you can get in top level rooms.

Look at the series leaders...you want to be racing them, no one else....at least as far as this Supra series is concerned for sure. Though, like I said before...MCA benefited from running a lesser room and getting 3rd at a 24m:42s as that pace would've been like 18th in the room with Turismo-Lester and others.

I think the idea is, if you fall down in the series slightly, you can go to a one step lesser room and score more points, which could bring you back to the higher room. I'm currently region 15th and USA 11th, so I would assume that guarantees me the top 20 room. MCA probably ran against the next 20, so unless you finish high (like he did), that's the only way to stay in the game. If you're racing the top 100-120 or 200-220, it'd take shear domination to likely climb the ladder, because you're racing far less capable people, based upon rank.

Moral of the story, be a minimum of DR: A and SR: S, and win/be competitive....if you're less than that, go to the daily races and find you're way to it.

Bit of a disaster at La Sarthe, SR dropped to A thanks to the daily, so started the Supra race at A/A, wasn't a dirty race but some careless driving and wrong place wrong time incidents meant I finished the race at C/D!! Just one of those races I guess :confused:

^(MCA) Interesting thing there is winner ran 24:34...we were pacing better than that in practice. Shows how the strategy is kind of hard to calculate, because pitting we were running :17's. That seeming complicates the process further, in a way.

What's your thoughts?
Just saw this reply. He was likely battling with other people before he entered the pits, resulting in a slightly slower pace. I'll need to see the replay. He also messed up on the first chicane from the straight after the pit, costing him a bit more time.

I ended up doing a no-stop, and I had a lot more fuel than I did during our practice runs. I was able to run a majority of the final lap on FM 2 instead of 3. So the practice helps, and that little bit of extra fuel makes life a bit easier.

The points are calculated the moment you join the lobby. One of the menu choices is Points Table, where it'll tell you what each position will get.

Since you and dctr were in the same room, you were 99% in the 1st room. I didn't see Turismo-Groove or some of the AMS people in my room, so they're likely in 2nd room, and I'm in 3rd. I was at 45k DR when I entered the race.

Hmm. Interesting. I'm 300 points behind you. 18th in region, 13th in USA.
Now I'm questioning if I should bring myself to A+ DR to room with 2nd or 1st split. :lol:

----------------

Meanwhile, HOLY 🤬 getting under 10:00 on Nurburgring 24h is hard as hell.

Last edited:
Big oof. Dctr told me about the incident. :(
I almost got taken out at the end of the first straight. The person behind me braked way too late and barely dodged me.

I won't be able to do the next round, but I'll practice a bit since it's the round 13 race as well.
That was me... I was looking in my mirror at the guy behind me getting a huge draft and I was trying to figure out where he was going and missed my brake point. :scared: Then my game froze later in the race.. 👎

Last edited:
That was me... I was looking in my mirror at the guy behind me getting a huge draft and I was trying to figure out where he was going and missed my brake point. :scared: Then my game froze later in the race.. 👎
:( Rest In Pepperoni
I almost met the same fate on the last lap.

@Mistah_MCA Try to stay in 2nd or 3rd split for max points. We were matched for GR Supra Cup Rd 1 & 2 and those are still my highest point winnings. I was matched in top split for GR Supra Cup Rd 3 & 4 and I've been getting worked. I've done 37 Sport Mode races (At 42 now according to kudos prime stats) before reaching top split and now that I'm finally there, I'm definitely not ready, I wanna get demoted lol. I used to just practice 1 hour before race start and I'd be able to fight for podiums. Now I'm practicing at least 30 mins everyday just to fight for point scraps in the mid-pack.

@RC000E We've been matched for GR Supra Cup Rd 2-4. The point rewards for the amount of effort in top split is discouraging lol. I dunno if it's the fact that I know it's top split, but I think I've been overdriving. I racked up so many time penalties at Le Mans. Here are the last 2 races in top split from my view

GR Supra Cup Rd 3 NA Top Split

GR Supra Cup Rd 4 NA Top Split

@Mistah_MCA Try to stay in 2nd or 3rd split for max points. We were matched for GR Supra Cup Rd 1 & 2 and those are still my highest point winnings. I was matched in top split for GR Supra Cup Rd 3 & 4 and I've been getting worked. I've done 37 Sport Mode races (At 42 now according to kudos prime stats) before reaching top split and now that I'm finally there, I'm definitely not ready, I wanna get demoted lol. I used to just practice 1 hour before race start and I'd be able to fight for podiums. Now I'm practicing at least 30 mins everyday just to fight for point scraps in the mid-pack.

@RC000E We've been matched for GR Supra Cup Rd 2-4. The point rewards for the amount of effort in top split is discouraging lol. I dunno if it's the fact that I know it's top split, but I think I've been overdriving. I racked up so many time penalties at Le Mans. Here are the last 2 races in top split from my view

GR Supra Cup Rd 3 NA Top Split

GR Supra Cup Rd 4 NA Top Split

I wish I could practice for a short time and get podium haha. I have to practice my butt off (not including the fuel strats) to get ready for the race.

Rounds 2 and 4 are my highest-earned races. With that said from you, I'll probably stay where I'm at, then. Races 3 and 4 have been challenging in different ways, but podium finish is always possible. I'm not far off the pace from the top people in my lobby.

Come join us in 3rd split. :D

--------------------------------

Got a 9:56.4 on Nurburgring 24h. This is it, chief. I'm done lol.

Surely this Saturday's race will be the longest ever point race (by overall race time) in GT Sport to date?

Haven't entered any Supra Cup races so far, but 3 laps of Nurburgring 24H should be interesting.

I wish I could practice for a short time and get podium haha. I have to practice my butt off (not including the fuel strats) to get ready for the race.

Rounds 2 and 4 are my highest-earned races. With that said from you, I'll probably stay where I'm at, then. Races 3 and 4 have been challenging in different ways, but podium finish is always possible. I'm not far off the pace from the top people in my lobby.

Come join us in 3rd split. :D

--------------------------------

Got a 9:56.4 on Nurburgring 24h. This is it, chief. I'm done lol.

We’re in 2nd split, at least all the races we’ve been in together. I’ve been in 2nd split every single FIA and Supra race this season, except for Gr.1 at Dragon Trail in Nations where I was in the top split.

We’re in 2nd split, at least all the races we’ve been in together. I’ve been in 2nd split every single FIA and Supra race this season, except for Gr.1 at Dragon Trail in Nations where I was in the top split.
2nd? Hmm. Makes sense if we look at our regional ranks...
A friend of mine (in top split) was asking if Turismo-Groove was in my Race 3 and 4. He wasn't in either, which led me to assume that we were in 3rd split.

Seems I spoke to soon. Nurb race is flatout from start to finish, no pit and only a bit of fuel saving required. This gon be good :D

Yeah, it's a rough run at the top. I'm much the same, I have only really ever done official "practicing" with this GR Supra challenge. I run about 2hrs of practice during the week, and that was doing well. I have a good feel for the car now, so it' just a matter of the tracks and braking points. The damn fuel and tire strategy is what's requiring this practice effort.

We'll see on this Nurburgring...I've run about 6 laps thus far and I'm in 55's (edit: 51's now)...I really don't think race pace is going to push any better than that, and I think 45's-50's are going to be too risky. I think if you're running mid 55's-57's you should be competitive. I just have to race smarter...pace is never an issue for me...the strategy and execution of timing, is.

Since everyone is posting youtube vids I'm gonna post some of mine...lol..

Just did a vid on my square setup...my chicks Corvette is in this one too...

Some Ferrari action at Road Atlanta

This one I do some actual heel=toe in real life...about mid way through the vid it starts....old Corvette race car I had

Subs always welcomed...I do on road and off road stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
So we should get an update as the Supra dyno'd at 4 hp and 58 lbs ft torque more at the wheels compared to stated power.

Having owned and operated a chassis dyno for some years, I'd have to see the correction factor and know the dyno type to be honest, before really concluding but...clearly the car is underrated to some degree. Just through GT Sport, the car struck me as very torquey. The B58 engine has double vanos and valvtronic, and clearly some small volute turbo's for boost response. The car does seem, on GTSport to run a bit out of breath on the top, and I'm curious how much GTSport can really mimic the transient response, given the variables. Good thing is, if the engine was validated and putting out those known torque factors...this car is likely to be a 650whp capable stock block with proper tuning and turbo sizing.

I tuned a lot of multimap EMS systems...just the i-Vtec system in Honda ran 24 maps total, versus OBD1 era cars which generally have 2, maybe 4, along with advanced tables for closed loop feedback data. So...not sure how much GT Sport can really mimic the transient response from off throttle (cam position relative to that vacuum data/rpm), then back on throttle, from various points. I'm curious to drive the real thing at some point.

Despite being a lowly import guy, I was lucky enough to test the Toyota LFA at Monticello Motor Club, almost a year before it even went on sale; I drove the yellow mule that Toyota still owns (I believe)...so kind of doing this process with Toyota has me excited for sure. I built a lot of cars in the import world...namely forced induction systems...so...hopin my old ass can hang in there through this...lol.

Who else is runnin practice times on the ring? I see dctor is in the 40's now.

Here is where I saw the dyno numbers. RC you sound like you know what you are talking about when it comes to Dyno's

https://jalopnik.com/dyno-test-reveals-the-2020-toyota-supra-has-a-lot-more-1834928175

Built cars professionally for about 20yrs, mostly forced induction systems/TIG fabrication/engine builds, etc. I'm doing some custom carbon parts for Corvettes now, got out of the install side, but I still tune HPTuners (GM gen III-IV), do a lot of custom stuff on the side (wraps, suspension setups, etc). It's all I've ever done....GranTurismo was just a natural fetish of mine since the late 90's...lol.

Monza put me down here. I'm scared.
D7Y7T4uUYAAN0wM.jpg

Gave myself space and still caught cars that were going off.
D7ZBOhzUcAE28zK.jpg

Last edited:
Wasn't even fun. I pit lap 1 because the car in 2nd was braking in every turn, every straight. Bunching me(in 3rd) and two others up. P1 was getting away and it was too frustrating. Then, I have fresh air after pitting. Was in 10th. Caught 9th as we watched 8th go off. I passed for 8th as that car went off. Made haste and caught the pack I was battling. I caught the car I was behind at the start. They all must have gone off.

That car pit. Caught another no-stopper. Man, it was riding the brakes the whole lap. That's just blocking and no way is that racing. The car I passed at the start even caught up to me. we both had a shot at trying to pass it. FINALLY! We both get by. Had a scrap down the straight. I juuuust caught a bit of grass at the Nord pit entrance. Finished behind 0.010 seconds.
D7ZKD1IUEAAvWfY.jpg

Wasn't even fun. I pit lap 1 because the car in 2nd was braking in every turn, every straight. Bunching me(in 3rd) and two others up. P1 was getting away and it was too frustrating. Then, I have fresh air after pitting. Was in 10th. Caught 9th as we watched 8th go off. I passed for 8th as that car went off. Made haste and caught the pack I was battling. I caught the car I was behind at the start. They all must have gone off.

That car pit. Caught another no-stopper. Man, it was riding the brakes the whole lap. That's just blocking and no way is that racing. The car I passed at the start even caught up to me. we both had a shot at trying to pass it. FINALLY! We both get by. Had a scrap down the straight. I juuuust caught a bit of grass at the Nord pit entrance. Finished behind 0.010 seconds.
D7ZKD1IUEAAvWfY.jpg

Oh hey I was in that race. It was absolute carnage behind where I finished in 11th. You'd get a run on someone who made a mistake, and they would just close the gap and try and take you out.

Any tips for today's race? You can run at fuel mix 1 for the three laps and (just) make it, but the tyres are all below half-worn using a DS4. I reckon it'll be safer in a race if I pit at some point, but is the time loss worth it?

Back