OMGDrift Plays Forza Horizon!

It concerns me a little to see an STI oversteer like the video shows, when I know that those cars tend to understeer IRL... I won't draw any conclusions from it, just "concerned"... Still looking forward to the release, though!

It concerns me a little to see an STI oversteer like the video shows, when I know that those cars tend to understeer IRL... I won't draw any conclusions from it, just "concerned"... Still looking forward to the release, though!

I have a friend who ruined his rear axle by pushing too hard, he expected endless awd grip that wasn't there, rear swung out, hit a high curb and bent the wheel under the car. Weight-shifting has more effect on awd cars like the subaru and lancer than most people think. They do oversteer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBLPksAJtXs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4CfWdoSOTk if Jeremy can drift them anyone can.

Anyway, in the horizon video you notice just before the huge slides the arm reaches down but the gear stays the same, the handbrake is being pulled.

Looking good, just seeing him driving around that town gave me goosebumps, Forza on the streets!!! But seriously, I will be obeying all traffic laws when I play LOL.

One thing however, I am wondering if there will be mechanical damage to these cars. I am sure there will be, but to what extent? Driving a slammed hatch or whatever off road and over rocks should see significant damage to the suspension and such, how far do you think T10 will go with this kind of stuff?

No way! You should be able to break down and have to limp to a garage or even have to call a tow truck, plus pay for all the expenses. :lol:

As laughable as it may seem I wouldn't mind having it in there as an option, tire blowouts and everything. Maintaining a car should be just as important as tuning or painting it. But being this is an "action racer" i guess it is obvious mechanical damage will have no part in it, my bad.

They've emphasized and re-emphasized that it's "authentic, not realistic."

So you can bounce off of walls and crash through fences, but the understeer that led you to do so will be sim-like. You can bound over massive jumps without damage, but maintaining traction and stability upon landing could be tricky. You can take a Ferrari into the woods, but keeping the tail in check and staying out of the ditch is all on you.

The OMGDrift.com video makes the gameplay look really, really bad. :/

Actually if you ask me thats been the best video so far. Made the physics look pretty good. Still have to drive in it to know for sure but by looks it will be easily the most realistic physics ever in that type of game.

Here is a screen shot i found on the Internet showing part of the map!.
Forza_Horizon_Preview_2.jpg

No roads appear to go high into the Rockies, but for a first game there's always likely to be limitations. At least the roads we do get will be done justice thanks to the handling model.

Even without cabriolet roofs and the appearance of many roads having barriers, what the game does have, the fundamentals, will mean it's massively fun to play.

Anyway, in the horizon video you notice just before the huge slides the arm reaches down but the gear stays the same, the handbrake is being pulled.

Oh, of course. I should have noticed that. Thank you for your thoughtful and polite rebuttal, and the great videos!! My concerns are alleviated!

They've emphasized and re-emphasized that it's "authentic, not realistic."

Very well put. Maybe they will put them both together (or give users the options to put them both together) sometime later in the Forza Series. For now, I think it is a big conceptual step forward for the Series, and support it.

I can't fully explain why, but watching this video made me go directly to bestbuy.com and pre-order the LCE.

I was on the fence for a while but I think it's partly because I needed a new racing game in my life.

I own a Subaru Impreza in real life. You are correct. They understeer from the factory. They do not understeer.

I have a friend who ruined his rear axle by pushing too hard, he expected endless awd grip that wasn't there, rear swung out, hit a high curb and bent the wheel under the car. Weight-shifting has more effect on awd cars like the subaru and lancer than most people think. They do oversteer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBLPksAJtXs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4CfWdoSOTk if Jeremy can drift them anyone can.

The only way they drift like that is if someone uses the parking brake or if the Driver Controlled Center Differential (Center: DCCD) is adjusted to the rear. Usually they are about 60% front and 40% rear. And anyone that drifts knows a car does not drift very well with 60 front / 40 rear. In real life this can easily be turned with a button and usually has at least 5 or 6 adjustments. So he might have even adjusted it in game so it was more like 40% front / 60% rear. It handles a lot like a RWD car in that video. Since his name is OMGdrift, I am guessing he set it up to drift.

The physics are looking pretty dang good. He mentioned that the map was large but I wonder how the map size compares to TDU1, TDU2, or Burnout Paradise. Hopefully they release the demo for Horizon to the public in the near future. I am still not quite sold on this yet but it is looking good. I think it will be more of a beta for T10 to test their offroad physics and to get feedback from the community about the game. If Horizon does well then I think they will put some serious effort into Horizon 2. I still cant believe this doesnt have weather. That really kills me. But we have already been through this.

I own a Subaru Impreza in real life. You are correct. They understeer from the factory. They do not understeer.

The only way they drift like that is if someone uses the parking brake or if the Driver Controlled Center Differential (Center: DCCD) is adjusted to the rear. Usually they are about 60% front and 40% rear. And anyone that drifts knows a car does not drift very well with 60 front / 40 rear. In real life this can easily be turned with a button and usually has at least 5 or 6 adjustments. So he might have even adjusted it in game so it was more like 40% front / 60% rear. It handles a lot like a RWD car in that video. Since his name is OMGdrift, I am guessing he set it up to drift.

1. The WRX my friend owns is a 2000 model, I do not believe they have on-the-fly adjustable differentials, if they do I'm 100% sure he didn't mess with it. His car oversteered, there's no two ways about it, he has the repair bills to prove it.

2. I'm fairly certain there is no tuning in Forza Horizon.

3. Nobody said the cars drift well 60/40 diff split, the fact is they do slide/oversteer (or drift, if you can call it that) when provoked. Probably due the the 60/40 weight distribution.

4. It's obvious if you watch the video the e-brake is being pulled, therein lies one of my problems with forza's AWD physics, with a controller it's almost impossible to weight shift slide most AWD cars, different story with a wheel though IIRC.

I drive a plain Subaru and I've found the secret to AWD oversteer is to tame that RWD habit of getting on the power too early/too much. You gotta lean a lot more on everything else -- weight shift, lift-off, braking, etc.

In videogame land with limited or no mechanical damage, you can lock up the differentials and drive a powerful AWD car like it's a hovercraft, power on all the time. In real life, particularly with weaker LSDs or open diffs, you'll understeer unless you've got torque vectoring or other computer wizardry.

And then you can just pull the handbrake, which again is particularly effective in videogame land. That's definitely what the guy did in the video. Personally, I refrain from doing it; in real life it makes a limited-slip center differential unhappy.

It's obvious if you watch the video the e-brake is being pulled, therein lies one of my problems with forza's AWD physics, with a controller it's almost impossible to weight shift slide most AWD cars, different story with a though wheel IIRC.
How so? I'm just curious, I've spent a lot of time in FM4 driving Subarus with a controller. Are you referring to the snappy countersteer you get on "Simulation" steering?

How so? I'm just curious, I've spent a lot of time in FM4 driving Subarus with a controller. Are you referring to the snappy countersteer you get on "Simulation" steering?

Yeah, it's probably that. Been a while since I've played so my memory isn't all that fresh. Sim steering gives realistic oversteer behaviour in some cars and at the same time it doesn't in some of the others. My findings/theories are mostly based on using a wheel since it's hard to tell what's realistic using a controller for the most part, for me.

Example, turning in too quickly should result in oversteer in some cars, but since the 'turn-in' steering mechanic is filtered with a controller, turn-in isn't that sharp with one.

Example, turning in too quickly should result in oversteer in some cars, but since the 'turn-in' steering mechanic is filtered with a controller, turn-in isn't that sharp with one.
When I want something like this, I do a little weight transfer to the outside and then snap the joystick into the corner. The suspension load helps, but I think the steering also cuts in deeper because it's swapping directions instead of deviating from "neutral."

I guess playing with a controller is a little bit like manipulating an automatic transmission to do what you want it to do.

A tuned subaru isn't the best for physics judging (it can make even real life look arcade), but seeing the different road surface has varying roughness, and car feels alive going over the bumps is a very good sign indeed.

Back