OMGDrift Plays Forza Horizon!

Sigh... I didn't want to actually get involved with Horizon. But... I guess I'll have to. Damnit, the upgraded Subaru does look very good. I had a certain fear that the upgrading would be dialed back, too, but... It does look promising.

Add to that that numerous sources have claimed that the physics are the same as in FM4... Well, I can hardly pass this one up. Plus, my friends are all eager to play an open world racing game, and I've got to cure them of the "NFS is the best racing game ever!" desease :lol:

I own a Subaru Impreza in real life. You are correct. They understeer from the factory. They do not understeer.

The only way they drift like that is if someone uses the parking brake or if the Driver Controlled Center Differential (Center: DCCD) is adjusted to the rear. Usually they are about 60% front and 40% rear. And anyone that drifts knows a car does not drift very well with 60 front / 40 rear. In real life this can easily be turned with a button and usually has at least 5 or 6 adjustments. So he might have even adjusted it in game so it was more like 40% front / 60% rear. It handles a lot like a RWD car in that video. Since his name is OMGdrift, I am guessing he set it up to drift.

The physics are looking pretty dang good. He mentioned that the map was large but I wonder how the map size compares to TDU1, TDU2, or Burnout Paradise. Hopefully they release the demo for Horizon to the public in the near future. I am still not quite sold on this yet but it is looking good. I think it will be more of a beta for T10 to test their offroad physics and to get feedback from the community about the game. If Horizon does well then I think they will put some serious effort into Horizon 2. I still cant believe this doesnt have weather. That really kills me. But we have already been through this.

1. The WRX my friend owns is a 2000 model, I do not believe they have on-the-fly adjustable differentials, if they do I'm 100% sure he didn't mess with it. His car oversteered, there's no two ways about it, he has the repair bills to prove it.

2. I'm fairly certain there is no tuning in Forza Horizon.

3. Nobody said the cars drift well 60/40 diff split, the fact is they do slide/oversteer (or drift, if you can call it that) when provoked. Probably due the the 60/40 weight distribution.

4. It's obvious if you watch the video the e-brake is being pulled, therein lies one of my problems with forza's AWD physics, with a controller it's almost impossible to weight shift slide most AWD cars, different story with a wheel though IIRC.
1. The STI is fully adjustable. The WRX is not.
2. I am not sure if there are tuning adjustments but there are a lot of options with the assists. Dan stated in several videos that you can make the handling as sim or as arcade as you want.
3. EVERY Subaru impreza I have driven in real life understeers. RS, WRX, STI. All of them. Maybe your friends WRX is setup different or has something going on wrong with his suspension or tires. Especially if you say "he has a repair bill to prove it". Something is wrong with that car.
4. Yes in that Horizon video is clearly pulling the handbrake.

When I want something like this, I do a little weight transfer to the outside and then snap the joystick into the corner. The suspension load helps, but I think the steering also cuts in deeper because it's swapping directions instead of deviating from "neutral."

I guess playing with a controller is a little bit like manipulating an automatic transmission to do what you want it to do.

Yes, this is correct, the steering is more "reactive" when moving lock-to-lock especially when the game senses a loss of grip, from a neutral or straight ahead postion the assist kicks in to avoid the front wheels turning in such a way that the only outcome would be 100% loss of grip (at the front wheels) resulting in understeer or a tremendously twitchy steering. I'm not sure how much this contributes to the lack of turn-in oversteer, but I feel that it does a little.

A good example is the fiat 500 abarth. It's near impossible to keep that car switching ends with a wheel and sim steering when turning in, not an issue with a controller with any steering setting.

1. The STI is fully adjustable. The WRX is not.
2. I am not sure if there are tuning adjustments but there are a lot of options with the assists. Dan stated in several videos that you can make the handling as sim or as arcade as you want.
3. EVERY Subaru impreza I have driven in real life understeers. RS, WRX, STI. All of them. Maybe your friends WRX is setup different or has something going on wrong with his suspension or tires. Especially if you say "he has a repair bill to prove it". Something is wrong with that car.
4. Yes in that Horizon video is clearly pulling the handbrake.

The assists in horizon are the same as FM4. None of them make the cars more prone to oversteer when playing with a controller, if anything, it's the polar opposite.
My friends car is 100% stock, the repair bill was from the impact after the oversteer moment as stated in a previous post. I checked the tyres after the accident, they were fine.
You saying "every Imprezza I've driven understeers" reminds me of this

Jeremy to James "when you were saying the Audi won't oversteer, what you meant is, you can get it to oversteer?"
James to Jeremy "Yes"

To be clear I'm not talking about power-oversteer, in anything but a rear-bias setup that is going to be difficult.

To have a job developing games like Horizon and FM4 would be an absolute dream come true...the game looks pretty awesome BTW. I'm all pre-ordered up with Best Buy and I can't wait to get this game (got my Horizon Challenger SRT already). Matte paint...oh yes :cheers:

Here is a screen shot i found on the Internet showing part of the map!.
Forza_Horizon_Preview_2.jpg

524963_151454081665327_604866924_n.jpg

Here's a slightly more complete map (I think):dunce::scared:

I have a friend who ruined his rear axle by pushing too hard, he expected endless awd grip that wasn't there, rear swung out, hit a high curb and bent the wheel under the car. Weight-shifting has more effect on awd cars like the subaru and lancer than most people think. They do oversteer.

if Jeremy can drift them anyone can.

Anyway, in the horizon video you notice just before the huge slides the arm reaches down but the gear stays the same, the handbrake is being pulled.

My buddy did the same thing is in Subaru! I own a 240sx and s15 because I like drifting rear wheel only lol!

Latest Posts

Back