One thing that really needs to be improved for GT5

  • Thread starter Thread starter thelastguy
  • 48 comments
  • 3,717 views
Messages
48
The driving line

After playing Forza 2 & 3 and going back to GT5P, it is almost un usable
It isn't very easy to see, and is slow to respond when you brake
They need to have an option for the line to just show up as a braking one

I know some of you will say "driving lines are for noobs," but I seriously think it is something they need to improve for the final release build
 
Wouldn't bother me none. I don't use need it.
 
Well what I want is not a full driving line, but a braking line
It makes it easier to learn the tracks
 
You don't get braking/racing lines when you race on a real track so I believe it shouldn't be there in the game so people can learn some race craft properly like how to hit the apex of a corner and such. 👍
 
Isn't that what the driving line helps you do?
 
Try not to think of the line as where you HAVE to be on the track, or where you HAVE to start braking. Think of it as a suggestion. Try using the line for a lap or two to get a solid ghost up, then experiment with your ghost car. While you are doing this, you should keep in mind landmarks on the track for your turn in points. Try to slow down when you pass a certain marker, or tree, or tire mark. If you are too fast/slow into the corner, pick a different marker or try using the same one but a little earlier or later. Once you are able to keep your own line, and are having a tough time keeping up with your own ghost, try turning the lines and ghost off for a little bit.
 
Isn't that what the driving line helps you do?

What I'm getting at is that you don't get a driving line put up in front of you if you are racing on a real track like you do in other racing games ala NFS:PS or Forza.
 
You don't get braking/racing lines when you race on a real track so I believe it shouldn't be there in the game so people can learn some race craft properly like how to hit the apex of a corner and such. 👍

race car drivers also spend the majority of their lives learning tracks by heart...as its their JOB to do so...and they are paid A LOT of money to learn tracks...some people do not have the time to sit for hours and learn every single track in the game like the back of their hand...

so the racing line (especially the braking line) can be very helpful to people as they run through tracks the first bunch of times as a suggestion on when to brake...

i hate this attitude by some people (and it encompasses GT fans and Forza fans alike) that somehow by racing in games with all driver aids off, and no driving line that it somehow makes them some type of bigger person then someone who doesn't have 10+ hours a day to devote to learning every inch of a bunch of different tracks...

guess what? say all you want about learning the "race craft properly" or "hitting the apex." none of us are real race car drivers, and none of us will be, because none of us are even REMOTELY good enough...

like you do in other racing games ala NFS:PS or Forza.
and don't even go down the route of somehow glorifying the GT series that it is somehow up on a pedestal compared to the other franchises in this sense...obviously from all the demo footage we have seen up to this point im betting by default the driving line will be ON in GT5...
 
You don't get braking/racing lines when you race on a real track so I believe it shouldn't be there in the game so people can learn some race craft properly like how to hit the apex of a corner and such. 👍
It's a video game. Not everything has to be "ultra-super-duper-high-realistic".
 
The driving line is not the fastest line around the track, it's only there for unexperienced drivers.

It would be interesting when your best lap would be layed out in a drivingline on the track or even more drivinglines of faster people to compare them.
 
It's a video game. Not everything has to be "ultra-super-duper-high-realistic".

not to mention...if anyone actually thinks sitting on their couch with Logitech G27 bolted to a tray table clicking a plastic shifter around while in the cockpit view is actually a realistic portrayal of what they would feel in an actual race car...they have obviously never tried to drive a car fast lol

The driving line is not the fastest line around the track, it's only there for unexperienced drivers.

It would be interesting when your best lap would be layed out in a drivingline on the track or even more drivinglines of faster people to compare them.

and i dont think anyone is arguing that the provided line is the fastest around the track...but it does give people who may not be experts on a given track the chance to have an overall idea of what line to take and when to brake...

if you load up GT5 on release day...have never driven a particular track before...strap yourself into Corvette C6R and have at it with zero experience...id almost guarantee that if you follow the driving line you'll be quicker...

of course over time you will learn that some threshold braking will help...maybe slightly cut a corner here and there...maybe take this corner a little wider...some turns you will realize you can take flat out etc...and you will shave seconds off your time...

but as a learning tool...the driving line is wonderful...and anyone who would argue that it should be removed altogether is foolish...(not saying you FDM are saying that, just a general comment)
 
Actual racing tracks have driving lines, right? Don't they? What? You mean real tracks don't have dotted lines down them showing professional drivers where to place their vehicles? Oh...my bad.
 
The line is even slower if you look right at the braking zones and such.

You should adapt it to your own style and find the 'groove' where it feels right.

Then turn it off never to be used again.
 
What I'm getting at is that you don't get a driving line put up in front of you if you are racing on a real track like you do in other racing games ala NFS:PS or Forza.
Any my point is: So?
In GT4 I used the brake point/suggested gear thing on the HUD as a guide for when I was breaking in new cars (and when I was first learning tracks). I had never played a game before that had the feature, and I loved its inclusion because of how simple it was to learn individual car's driving mannerisms. That doesn't mean I followed it religiously. That doesn't mean I was using it as a crutch. You act as if having a driving line on screen makes it so you aren't actually doing any driving. I leave the driving line on in GT:M, but I hardly follow it. Does that mean it is giving me an unfair advantage?
And why does what real life allow have any bearing on features that GT should have? Should we take ghost cars out of the series as well? They serve pretty much an identical purpose.
 
Last edited:
Actual racing tracks have driving lines, right? Don't they? What? You mean real tracks don't have dotted lines down them showing professional drivers where to place their vehicles? Oh...my bad.

raise your hand and say "I" if you're a professional driver....

:::crickets::: :nervous:
 
I learn tracks in video games the way I learn tracks in real life. Start slow and progressively work my way to faster lap times.
 
And why does what real life allow have any bearing on features that GT should have? Should we take ghost cars out of the series as well? They serve pretty much an identical purpose.

AMEN!

while we are at it...from now on...all video games have to mimic real life in every way possible...

if i crash into a wall at 180mph in GT5 i will need to spend the next 6 months staring at a screen of a beautifully modeled hospital room while i recover from the injuries i've sustained from the accident...or maybe i should be forced to watch my own funeral...at which point my game disc becomes un-usable because im dead...and i must go out and purchase a new copy to start over 👎

driving line probably would have saved me from the crash btw lol!
 
instead of a driving line, I would prefer a braking zone indicator :)

GTR EVO has a corner arrow, with gear indicator, a bit like rally games, and that to me is a better method
sorta like pace notes
 
I've never appreciated the addition of the driving line in a sim game. If you want to learn a track, just start a practice session and do some laps until you've got a nice rhythm through the corners. You should know the basics of out-in-out and slow in - fast out racing already so it's just a matter of applying those concepts. There are license tests for a reason; to teach you how to tackle corners. Driving line is a waste of time. The gear indicator is a much nicer assist in cornering.
 
I always find that the red flashing light is all I ever need, or braking markers if available.
 
I found the Granturismo driving line to be more clear the forza, even if it is a bit ugly. Usually I keep it on just because whilst warming up in a new car or on a new track it shows you the speeds you need to be at and the limit of grip you have to play with.

Before you all say I'm an absolute beginer; I managed to obtain 37th position on High Speed Ring / Mini Cooper (In prologue), which for me is a great achievement.
 
race car drivers also spend the majority of their lives learning tracks by heart...as its their JOB to do so...and they are paid A LOT of money to learn tracks...some people do not have the time to sit for hours and learn every single track in the game like the back of their hand...

See, you're talking about professionals....even amateur racers have to do it without a "guide" line.

so the racing line (especially the braking line) can be very helpful to people as they run through tracks the first bunch of times as a suggestion on when to brake...

Here's another suggestion, build your speed up slowly and not try and go into every corner balls out. You'll learn the braking lines and apexes just as easily.

i hate this attitude by some people (and it encompasses GT fans and Forza fans alike) that somehow by racing in games with all driver aids off, and no driving line that it somehow makes them some type of bigger person then someone who doesn't have 10+ hours a day to devote to learning every inch of a bunch of different tracks...

No, it just makes it more realistic. You want to drive with aids, that's your prerogative. A fair percentage of us don't like driving with driver aids as it takes away from the driving experience. As for the comment about the "bigger person" type of thing blah blah blah, some of us DON'T have 10hrs+ a day to devote to it....I'm lucky to get 1/2hr a week sometimes, it still doesn't stop me driving like I do in real life, simple.

guess what? say all you want about learning the "race craft properly" or "hitting the apex." none of us are real race car drivers, and none of us will be, because none of us are even REMOTELY good enough...

There are some members in the GT4 forum (Dotini is a great example) who actually race in real life. Then take Lucas Ordonez, he came from the game to BECOME a real racing driver.....so learning the race craft properly DOES have benefits for some people. There's several others on here that do track days and race at a club level aswell.

and don't even go down the route of somehow glorifying the GT series that it is somehow up on a pedestal compared to the other franchises in this sense...obviously from all the demo footage we have seen up to this point im betting by default the driving line will be ON in GT5...

Where the 🤬 did that come from?? I'm not glorifying GT, I'm simply stating a fact....get over it.

It's a video game. Not everything has to be "ultra-super-duper-high-realistic".

But KY wants it to be that way, it's his vision to do so.

Any my point is: So?
In GT4 I used the brake point/suggested gear thing on the HUD as a guide for when I was breaking in new cars (and when I was first learning tracks). I had never played a game before that had the feature, and I loved its inclusion because of how simple it was to learn individual car's driving mannerisms. That doesn't mean I followed it religiously. That doesn't mean I was using it as a crutch. You act as if having a driving line on screen makes it so you aren't actually doing any driving. I leave the driving line on in GT:M, but I hardly follow it. Does that mean it is giving me an unfair advantage?
And why does what real life allow have any bearing on features that GT should have? Should we take ghost cars out of the series as well? They serve pretty much an identical purpose.

Well with the gear change feature I personally don't mind it either, but it's a bit off when it says slow down to 2nd when you can take that corner in 3rd gear if you're a decent driver. So I don't really pay attention to it, unless I've done some major tuning to the gearbox. I agree with you that you don't have to follow it religiously, but all I am saying is that if you want to drive like you are in real life, you wouldn't have the driving line feature on either. I'm not saying it gives an unfair advantage, far from it. Same with the ghost car to me, because when it comes on I think of it as another car and subconsciously change my driving line to "avoid" the ghost car which does wreck my lap in more cases than not, so I push up and take it away myself.

I learn tracks in video games the way I learn tracks in real life. Start slow and progressively work my way to faster lap times.

+1. Totally agree with this logic as I've already said the same thing too in this post. 👍
 
I think the OP was refer to reverse lights:p
 
The driving line

After playing Forza 2 & 3 and going back to GT5P, it is almost un usable
It isn't very easy to see, and is slow to respond when you brake
They need to have an option for the line to just show up as a braking one

I know some of you will say "driving lines are for noobs," but I seriously think it is something they need to improve for the final release build
Whatever happened to just racing around the track for several laps, learning from your mistakes as you go?
 
WTF I and other pro driver don't use it... also TC,ABS all OFF!!:sly:
 
One thing that really needs to be improved for GT series is how long they develop the game. Please make it shorter at least -1 year, so for example if it will take 6 years, try to make it 5 years okay.
 
I dont think anybody had addressed the op's question, does the driving line need to be made more visible/ better?

I can see the line perfectly fine, but being able to change up the driving line with a fast lap, would be a nice feature.
 
I can see the line perfectly but I only sit about 4-5 feet away from a 46" screen. For me it doesn't need improving but having not played Forza etc I have nothing to compare it to.

I used the line to learn the Indy track, don't see what's wrong with that, no different from an instructor taking you around a lap of a circuit you've never been to before. It can be quite useful, even more so for new comers to the game.
 
Off topic probably but the other thing that needs to be improve are the AI drivers.
 
Back