One thing that really needs to be improved for GT5

  • Thread starter Thread starter thelastguy
  • 48 comments
  • 3,717 views
I dont think anybody had addressed the op's question, does the driving line need to be made more visible/ better?

I can see the line perfectly fine, but being able to change up the driving line with a fast lap, would be a nice feature.
It's by no neans the prettiest racing line I've ever seen, but then again, it is what it is... I can't remember, but I think the one from Forza was/is better, but I'd have to check on YouTube...yep, just checked, much better IMO.
 
The Gear Shift indicator (flashing red number) is really more then enough for me. I wish i could turn it off actually. The apex is also shown through tire/brake marks which also helps.

But yes, it could be improved.
 
Quit it with all the improvement threads, you'll cause more delays :D

Seriously though, a lot of us here do play as realistically as the game allows with drving aids off, but remember it's a game, not real life. If there's a line in there to help people learn new tracks, or even to play with all the time and stop them from coming off the track, why is that a bad thing? It opens the doors to more users not familiar with race craft etc and they can learn at their own pace.

But KY wants it to be that way, it's his vision to do so.

Explain standard mode then? Let alone the option for all the driving aids Kaz has included in the game. It's his vision to to make a realistic game, that is also accessible to those outside the realm of the uber-sim-geek (the ones with side partings and adenoids :D )

A lot of your previous post has come across as nothing but arrogant, elitest and frankly adenoidey (yes I've just made up that word). Sure you can only play sometimes for 1/2hour a week and still drive like a champ, but not everyone can. But you can turn off the line and choose to play the way you want, just as others should be allowed to within the realm of a sim.

edit: mafia_boy, I'm not going off at just you personally, I just think there are too many folks out there who think a game should be all serious and realistic, with NO COMPROMISE, when in fact, it's just a game. I think what makes GT so great is that it gives you the choice to not be so anal, and thus is accessible.
 
Last edited:
I have a five year old son who would like to play the game. The line will help him. Or maybe he will have passed his real driving test when it comes out.
 
Use the braking markers at the side of the track. There is always something to use as a reference, whether it be a distance marker, a shadow, a change between grass and gravel etc.

I've never had a problem with finding the braking zones. But it does take practice.

In Forza you are probably braking too late, and its very forgiving if you do that, you need to brake early and power out of the apex (Well, depending on the following section whether it be a straight or another turn). GT is a lot less forgiving, you miss the braking zone by a car length and you're off. Simple as.
 
Explain standard mode then? Let alone the option for all the driving aids Kaz has included in the game. It's his vision to to make a realistic game, that is also accessible to those outside the realm of the uber-sim-geek (the ones with side partings and adenoids :D )
Very true, I'm not disputing that.

A lot of your previous post has come across as nothing but arrogant, elitest and frankly adenoidey (yes I've just made up that word). Sure you can only play sometimes for 1/2hour a week and still drive like a champ, but not everyone can. But you can turn off the line and choose to play the way you want, just as others should be allowed to within the realm of a sim.
It's because I drive a real car and want my game experience to be similar to what I would do in real life. Driving the real car allows me to stay sharp when it comes to playing GT, otherwise I'd have lost all my techniques a LOOONG time ago. But to call me arrogant and elitist is kind of a "🤬 you" to me because I'm far from being elitist, I just tell it how I see it.

edit: mafia_boy, I'm not going off at just you personally,
Ummm, that whole previous quote was a direct insult at me....so don't fob it off now as "it's not at you". 👎

I just think there are too many folks out there who think a game should be all serious and realistic, with NO COMPROMISE, when in fact, it's just a game. I think what makes GT so great is that it gives you the choice to not be so anal, and thus is accessible.
It is just a game, but it's the most realistic car game for the Playstation, and fortunately it does give the option for both the hardcore racer and the newbie to play along with each other on the same game.
 
To me, there´s nothing more grateful then figure out the tracks´s driving line by myself... make the "real driving experience", truly what it means...:sly:
 
Driving line puts me off when hotlapping. I do use it for online races on long-straight tracks like Fuji where you can't always see the brake markers but, even then it's only usually for the first lap, first corner then it just sits there and puts me off a bit :(

It's also a mile off being the ideal line in a lot of places, just like the suggested gear indicator is suggesting the totally wrong gear half the time.
 
Is this a "REWIND" debate all over again? On how a proper sim shouldn't even have a driving line and that only arcade games like Forza feature such un-realistic driving aids? And that Gran Turismo will never have such a feature and people won't buy GT5 if it has a driving line available?

oh, wait ...
 
Anyone who complains about a feature in a game which can be turned off and makes this the basis for not buying the game deserves to be buried, neck deep in manure and mocked until they starve to death in my opinion.
 
I find the driving line in GT5P is clear to see - with the exception being if you are bunched up with other cars (difficult to see how that could be changed)

I fail to understand why some folks get quite so excited about this kind of thing.

Yes it is a driver aid, it's as unrealistic as many other aspects of the game and arguably* isn't there in real life - and I'm sure that all those that don't need / want it have long since turned it off.

* - The reason I say "arguably" isn't there in real life, is that real life provides other alternatives. Track days normally include some form of induction to provide driver knowledge of the course - ie instructor on board, video lap etc.

In real life there are a host of speed, visual and other cues to help you get around your lap on the best line and using the best braking points. Some, but not all of thesecan be modelled.
 
I know some of you will say "driving lines are for noobs," but I seriously think it is something they need to improve for the final release build

Not at all... I personally think driving lines are mis-guiding, and detract from understanding how to drive quickly.

I've always found the best way to improve your driving skill is;

- Turn off all assists (seriously)
- Drive around a track really slowly several times (so you know the corners by memory)
- slowly try to drive faster, trying to make your driving line as straight & smooth as possible.

Its all about learning how to balance the car and shifting it's weight in a way that makes each corner and straight flow into one another.

You dont really learn this with a driving line, driving lines are like having the answer to a question without knowing how to do the math!
 
[UK] ANDYW;3717461
Not at all... I personally think driving lines are mis-guiding, and detract from understanding how to drive quickly.

I've always found the best way to improve your driving skill is;

- Turn off all assists (seriously)
- Drive around a track really slowly several times (so you know the corners by memory)
- slowly try to drive faster, trying to make your driving line as straight & smooth as possible.

Its all about learning how to balance the car and shifting it's weight in a way that makes each corner and straight flow into one another.

You dont really learn this with a driving line, driving lines are like having the answer to a question without knowing how to do the math!

THIS! Driving lines are prolly one of the worst things a noob could use if they want to not stay a noob
 
The best thing I did for balancing the car, improving cornering and hence improving lap times...

... Switch from Auto to Manual transmission

Exactly the same as real life. Much easier to set up the balance of a manual for a bend.

However, it took until I got a wheel to be comfortable with manual transmission - just not intuitive on the DS, whereas using a wheel it is entirely natural and doesn't even need thinking about
 
However, it took until I got a wheel to be comfortable with manual transmission - just not intuitive on the DS, whereas using a wheel it is entirely natural and doesn't even need thinking about
I don't need to think about the shifting with the controller though.

Also, I thought everyone used manual, no?
 
I've always used manual and controller.

back to topic.. One thing that needs to be improved for GT5 is the release date.
 
Ground textures, if you have seen the Nurburgring Nord' track in PGR4 in the wet it looks amazing.I don't how great all the textures are in GT5, i believe what we've seen so far after GT5p isn't from the full game.
 
I've always used manual and controller.

back to topic.. One thing that needs to be improved for GT5 is the release date.

👍 :lol:
 
Well what I want is not a full driving line, but a braking line
It makes it easier to learn the tracks

Surely if you do it that way all you are doing is following instruction rather than thinking about the track and how it drives and works? It would take longer to "learn" that way.
 
Back