Online issues need to be addressed NOW

  • Thread starter Thread starter LVracerGT
  • 42 comments
  • 2,822 views
Messages
2,498
United States
Iowa, USA
Messages
LVracerGT
We're more than 2 full months after GT6's release and the online stability and connection issues are still horrible. After practicing online all week for my SEC league race, 1/3 of the grid had to back out and re-join to try and get everything to work properly and a whole new room was created to try and help.

After confirming everyone was OK we started the event only to have 1 person dropped during qualifying, then I got dropped during the qualifying race. 3 more of us backed out and re-joined only to find out 2 of us couldn't see each other, tried re-starting the race and had such bad lag with cars jumping around the track myself and one other driver were forced to quit.

After all the time with GT5's garbage online now GT6 is worse. PD needs to get things sorted now. With the extreme lack of AI and offline events online is the only place where fun and competitive race can be had, but not when this keeps happening.

I'm starting this thread as a petition to get PD to get the online reliability sorted ASAP.

P.S. After all of that I checked my internet connection and ran speed tests and everything was working fine, my brother was able to play on his PC all morning before I got on and everything worked fine the rest of the day. I also reset my modem and router before I even start my PS3 and clear my cache before entering the online lobby to take all necessary steps to try and ensure no online issues in GT. So it's not my internet before anyone wants to jump all over me for that.
 
Last edited:
I dont ever have trouble online and i usually fall asleep on the couch in a lobby. Might want to check your internet... or anyone who's hosting
 
We have the same issues in our league here in Australia.
Whilst I can cop a certain amount of "internet/server" issue (which comes with any online gaming), I think that what we're experiencing is well above what you would consider normal.

As for checking your internet, it could be any number of things between your PS3 and the server causing issues, the internet is only one....and even then some people who generally have a solid connection still have issues. Not being able to see other cars on track is a HUGE issue. Even things like being able to see friends lobby's one minute then not seeing them the next, and/or being unable to join a lobby you were recently in etc just doesn't add up.

Add to this the pit/tyre glitch and online racing (which for some is a huge part of the game) can be laughable at times....until you cry!

At this point we are asking all our members to attempt the following before each race:
- ensure all others in your division are on your PSN friends list
- reboot your modem, then start your PS3
- use a static IP for your PS3
- set QoS (where possible)
- setup a DMZ (where possible)
- use a wired connection (where possible)
- clear network cache (from GT6 settings in-game)
- when a race begins and the count-down to the start nears zero all drivers stop completely and do not press any buttons/pedals
- before making changes to lobby settings (if changing tracks or other settings), all drivers leave the track and wait in the lobby (to try and avoid disconnects)
- set lobbies to use chat, but have all drivers mute their mics during racing (which apparently adds extra bandwidth to the lobby for chat use)

Not sure how much any of these actually help but every little bit helps (it seems).

It would be great to have confidence in being able to join a race and not worry if you're going to get hit by an invisible car, or be disconnected from the lobby mid-race....but I'm not sure if we'll ever experience this.

Until then, all we can do is try to make sure our individual setups are as good as possible and the rest is up to the PSN servers.

Dave
 
I agree. We have problems trying to get into a room for the NASCAR league I'm competing in. If I'm not mistaken, the guy that hosts is on satellite internet, which is supposed to be amazingly fast. None of us can say anything in the race because of the lag spikes if we do, especially around corners. I understand the fact about the mics, but even if we don't say anything, we still get at least one person to lag out every race, which is terrible on points.
 
Good tips from DoogleDave.
From my experience, a wired connection, clear cache & setup DMZ along with static ip are the keys for less issues, especially seeing eachother on track.
In addition, it's usefull to turn off visual damage and to not raise every setting to maximum (like racequality and voicechat).
Downsides for me with online racing (persist since launch) are a lot of freezes and gfx errors on track, where only solution for me is to shut ps3 down and restart everything, including error report to Sony and system maintenance (3 beeps and stuff..).
Afterwards, it works for the most part but there are days, where I have to restart several times untill the game works properly.
That's why my psn status shows: "now playing: gt6_prebeta1.04" :lol:
 
Yes, and many of the players on my friends list experience these same disconnection, missing players list as are you. Will we ever see these connection issues resolved ? Who knows. Question - when you clear your cache how many times do you typically clear it? Is once enough? I usually do clear it three times but I'm almost of the opinion my connetion seems worse after I clear the cache.. Hmmmm??? Thanks for your thoughts.
 
At this point we are asking all our members to attempt the following before each race:
- ensure all others in your division are on your PSN friends list
- reboot your modem, then start your PS3
- use a static IP for your PS3
- set QoS (where possible)
- setup a DMZ (where possible)
- use a wired connection (where possible)
- clear network cache (from GT6 settings in-game)
- when a race begins and the count-down to the start nears zero all drivers stop completely and do not press any buttons/pedals
- before making changes to lobby settings (if changing tracks or other settings), all drivers leave the track and wait in the lobby (to try and avoid disconnects)
- set lobbies to use chat, but have all drivers mute their mics during racing (which apparently adds extra bandwidth to the lobby for chat use)

Only one of these should affect anything, and that's using a wired connection. Things like QoS normally do a lot more harm than good, static ip is only for forwarding ports / remembering an address so will do nothing to help here, DMZ isn't needed etc

My online experience isn't terrible, but it's not great either. I put that down to PSN just not being as good as Xbox Live and PC experiences, but what can you say it's free anyway. It really isn't that bad for me though, when I had the Xbox 360 that was on wired, my PC is on wired both on fibre optic ISP with gigabit cat6 throughout, and on my PS3 considering I'm forced to use wireless (because of console location), G at that (old hat) and the fact PSN isn't rated highly for quality anyway, and the fact I have upnp disabled, and haven't opened any ports, it's good for what it is/
 
Here's the thing, I don't have to jump through hoops like I do with GT with ANY other PS3 game. Not GTA5, not Battlefield, not anything. It's something on PD's end and it's reached the point where something needs to be done ASAP.

How many times can PD shoot themselves in the foot to lose more and more fans/customers. It's going to be the death of PD if they don't wake the 🤬 up and get with the times.
 
I tried to run a few short races at Daytona shortly after the 24. I'm talking just a handful of laps and only a few people in the room (3-4). The first race went off without a hitch. In the second race, one of the guys couldn't see the rest of the cars moving and we couldn't see his moving. In the third race, I think we all got booted off the server. I've had other drop outs and such all in GT6.

My connection is decent and I can play other games and do other things online without issue. This is amateur hour performance on PD's part and needs to be addressed.
 
Call me weird but I find that if I set the room quality settings to the highest, it works better for me; compared to poor settings. It will usually boot the people with crap connections leaving only compatible players in the lobby.

You guys need to remember, the room is only as good as it's weakest link. If you have on person out of 16 with a crap connection, everyone suffers; hence setting high quality rooms booting the weakest link. This is what you get with Peer-to-peer gaming.
 
Call me weird but I find that if I set the room quality settings to the highest, it works better for me; compared to poor settings. It will usually boot the people with crap connections leaving only compatible players in the lobby.

You guys need to remember, the room is only as good as it's weakest link. If you have on person out of 16 with a crap connection, everyone suffers; hence setting high quality rooms booting the weakest link. This is what you get with Peer-to-peer gaming.

Our 1st race two Sunday's ago was set on the highest race quality (Very High) with no mics. People still had issues. Last Sunday's race I described in my OP was set on (High) race quality with no mics. People still had issues.

Oddly enough, everyone seems to be ok in the practice rooms before the race with mics enabled. We've been discussing if this affects anything, but it shouldn't if PD did their jobs.
 
Our 1st race two Sunday's ago was set on the highest race quality (Very High) with no mics. People still had issues. Last Sunday's race I described in my OP was set on (High) race quality with no mics. People still had issues.

Oddly enough, everyone seems to be ok in the practice rooms before the race with mics enabled. We've been discussing if this affects anything, but it shouldn't if PD did their jobs.

PD should step up and at least give us tools for troubleshooting. I know most games have a "connection" strength indicators (wifi looking thing) next to the user name giving us a clear visual on who's lagging the room. I have no idea why PD doesn't think something like this is necessary.
 
I never had this amount of problems with GT5 until Grand Theft Auto V was released. Following the release of GTAV, I have experienced lag on GT5 and now lag and disconnections on GT6.

I've now spent about £300 trying to improve things my end and I've not got BT Openreach coming to do a new install for me. It's more than likely going to be wasted money, but at least I'm trying everything.

GT6 and PD suck ass. This game is rubbish, it should have been awesome. Its not as though they haven't had enough time to develop it. I've seen games produced for the PC by tiny companies that have been flawless, it just goes to show that it isn't how large a company is that matters, it's how much effort they put into the game and how well they iron out any faults.

I miss 'the good old days' when a game was 100% complete when we purchased it. Free from bugs and glitches other than those that were intended. I know that the games were much more simple but we could argue that so was the software being used to produce the games. The budgets were far lower too.
 
Personally for me the only problem I am having with online is that it is very difficult to find a decent lobby where you're actually racing cars within a specified class or one-make lobbies. Most of the lobbies that I have seen are PP restricted only.
 
P.S. After all of that I checked my internet connection and ran speed tests and everything was working fine, my brother was able to play on his PC all morning before I got on and everything worked fine the rest of the day. I also reset my modem and router before I even start my PS3 and clear my cache before entering the online lobby to take all necessary steps to try and ensure no online issues in GT. So it's not my internet before anyone wants to jump all over me for that.

And what is the NAT value at the point where you begin to play, are you playing on a wired or wireless connection, if wireless are you using the router supplied by the ISP?
 
And what is the NAT value at the point where you begin to play, are you playing on a wired or wireless connection, if wireless are you using the router supplied by the ISP?

I've always been NAT Type 2 (Open) and I have a very good top of the line Linksys router with 100% signal strength, and yes I run wireless, but it shouldn't matter. PS3 was built for wireless and I have no issues with any other game. My brother also plays online on his PC a lot and has no issues.
 
I love the game, but I hate the lag spikes that occur every 3 seconds. It's very frustrating and makes it difficult to race. You can't shift properly, brake at the right time, or steer at the right time.
 
I've always been NAT Type 2 (Open) and I have a very good top of the line Linksys router with 100% signal strength, and yes I run wireless, but it shouldn't matter. PS3 was built for wireless and I have no issues with any other game. My brother also plays online on his PC a lot and has no issues.

Fair enough, sounds good so far. Don't think of NAT as fixed though, it isn't and can be altered during the router's session by a number of things.

Also, don't think that all games address the ports in the same way! Make sure you're only forwarding the GT ports, that usually fixes it.

And remove REA on your Linksys router!!!!!!
 
I never had this amount of problems with GT5 until Grand Theft Auto V was released. Following the release of GTAV, I have experienced lag on GT5 and now lag and disconnections on GT6.

I've now spent about £300 trying to improve things my end and I've not got BT Openreach coming to do a new install for me. It's more than likely going to be wasted money, but at least I'm trying everything.

GT6 and PD suck ass. This game is rubbish, it should have been awesome. Its not as though they haven't had enough time to develop it. I've seen games produced for the PC by tiny companies that have been flawless, it just goes to show that it isn't how large a company is that matters, it's how much effort they put into the game and how well they iron out any faults.

I miss 'the good old days' when a game was 100% complete when we purchased it. Free from bugs and glitches other than those that were intended. I know that the games were much more simple but we could argue that so was the software being used to produce the games. The budgets were far lower too.
Maybe i will get flamed for saying this, but IMO PD just released GT6 for a quick buck. Just copy paste GT5, add the new physics, some tracks and a couple of cars and sell millions anyway...
 
Maybe i will get flamed for saying this, but IMO PD just released GT6 for a quick buck. Just copy paste GT5, add the new physics, some tracks and a couple of cars and sell millions anyway...

I think there was a lot of pressure from Sony to meet the holiday deadline. If GT6 had been delayed, I think we would have seen it go to the PS4 instead, or at least had a dual release on both systems. Before online patching, they couldn't have released a game in this state, but now - for better or worse - they can get it out there and just treat it as a constant work in progress.
 
Petition this... petition that... PD won't do anything through a 10-signature petition on a website. Go protest outside their offices and you might be given some attention.

I haven't had too much troubles online, other than all the buttons turning gray when I'm changing cars and the room host changes the track.
 
Well, just happened again. Tried to hold a league race, had to have a few people back out and get back in for everyone to be able to see each other. Got the race started and seemed everything was going to work fine...

Of course not. With 5 laps left in the race people started getting disconnected one by one, including me leading with 3 laps left. Everyone who got disconnected was able to re-join immediately. This is such garbage from PD it's unbelievable. I even had the internet company come to my house earlier in the week and inspect everything which ended up with them completely replacing the line coming to my house just because it was a tad bit out of spec. The series is now cancelled due to unreliable GT servers/online.

PD, get it the 🤬 together ASAP. This is complete BS.
 
Well, just happened again. Tried to hold a league race, had to have a few people back out and get back in for everyone to be able to see each other. Got the race started and seemed everything was going to work fine...

Of course not. With 5 laps left in the race people started getting disconnected one by one, including me leading with 3 laps left. Everyone who got disconnected was able to re-join immediately. This is such garbage from PD it's unbelievable. I even had the internet company come to my house earlier in the week and inspect everything which ended up with them completely replacing the line coming to my house just because it was a tad bit out of spec. The series is now cancelled due to unreliable GT servers/online.

PD, get it the 🤬 together ASAP. This is complete BS.

1. Friends only lobby? They are more unstable. Public lobbies are more reliable.
2. Fix rolling starts PD, now.
 
1. Friends only lobby? They are more unstable. Public lobbies are more reliable.
2. Fix rolling starts PD, now.

Nope, public lobby set to the number of people racing so no randoms could come in.
 
1. Friends only lobby? They are more unstable. Public lobbies are more reliable.
2. Fix rolling starts PD, now.

I would've assumed friends only were more stable if not identical stability-wise. Go figure. Overall, I actually had good experiences online this weekend but that was only doing short pickup races.
 
I would've assumed friends only were more stable if not identical stability-wise. Go figure. Overall, I actually had good experiences online this weekend but that was only doing short pickup races.

Short pickup races seem to be ok 80% of the time.

I should also point out that I wasn't the one hosting the lobbies. But the person who was also got disconnected yesterday, but that was the first time for him in the 3 races that were held.

What was amazing yesterday, is you got to watch people being disconnected one by one. First one happened and I was like "here we go again". Then the second person a few seconds after, then another, then before I could even get the words out of my mouth it was me. Only 3 people were able to finish, and the disconnections started happening on lap 30 of 33.

It was a mutual feeling after all that, there's no point in putting in hours of practice during the week and setting aside 3 hours or so for a qualifying session and race just to have random disconnects 🤬 up you race, especially with 3 laps left.

It's complete BS from PD and needs to be addressed ASAP with at least a freaking statement from PD acknowledging there is an issue and it's being worked on for christs sake.
 
Last edited:
So. I've finally been experiencing some very unreliable connections in the online servers. I drop out occasionally, I appear to lag to others (and they even get hit by it) and other such expected nuisances. However, interestingly, this all started once I had a new internet connection hooked-up. Although this current one is supposed to be much better (like 3x!), it's not performing as it should apparently and needs looking into. I'm sure it's my connection that's having issues, computer has issues to, even though nothing is showing there is anything wrong. I still believe PD's servers aren't really at fault.
 
I rarely get dropped from rooms but people I race with frequently do. GT6 and 5 have had the worst online reliability I've seen in gaming in many years. Pretty bad lag too sometimes.
 
I don't usually have connection issues, and I'm rarely online now anyway, but when I am there is always one or two regulars from a room that pop in and out or someone on track that can't be seen by me and/or others.
 
Back