online lobby problems after 1.16 update

Clear GT6 Network cache.
Check your Firewall settings, do clear line out, or DMZ for PS3. Several routers default Firewall is blocking during GT6, doesn't happen all the time, I don't know why not all the time. Switch Firewall off for testing and if it helps start to work with your mappings.

I'm sure everyone enjoys the 1.16 update, what with Midfield Raceway, B-Spec and the new MINI VGT out now for players all for free. Me, I don't know, I can't seem to enjoy it, because I've been encountering a bit of an issue that hasn't occurred at any time before the update. Basically it's this...

For example, I enter a public lobby that has 10/16 players. Let's say all 10 of the other players are on track as I enter the room. So okay, I pick a car then I go out on track. As I do my laps around the track, I see more people join the room and some of the players on track go back into the pits and into the Lobby Menu (I'm guessing it's to tweak their car or choose another car or whatever) So that means the number of people on track go fewer in numbers. As I do more laps, I then started to wonder... what happened to the newer people who just joined in on the room? How about the people that went back into the pits and off-track, but are still in the room? I noticed this bit because I was talking to some of the players in the room; they claimed they are on track but I can't see them zooming around. I said "I only see 4 cars" but one of them said "I see 10" and I'm like WTF :confused::confused::confused: that can't be right... Even with my average internet connection I know for sure I can still see people getting on-track, but today this has happened on every single lobby I entered. I join a lobby, and those people who have joined in after me seem to be on-track, but I can't see them. And I honestly think I'm not the only one affected by this, because in a few of the lobbies I entered, I had some friends come in. I couldn't see them but I know for sure they're on track.

I enter this lobby, there are 8 cars on track, I go in so that makes it 9 cars on-track, then my friend comes in. He doesn't seem to be on-track after a minute or so, and while that's happening, two people go off-track and never return. Minutes later, the lobby gets filled. Then for some reason, my friend sets the fastest time on the track and I didn't even see him zoom past me O_o The room is full but I see only 7 people on-track. I leave the room, re-enter it and boom, everyone was out there on the track o_O. I know for sure I'm not the only one affected by this, because that friend of mine did the exact same thing that I did; I left the room and re-enter it, and find that everyone in the lobby was driving around the track. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
This is normal for me and my average internet with half the number of people in the room before 1.16

It's strange how Sony has been very open toward the Driveclub community in their efforts to address the game's server problems. Meanwhile, here we are having no idea why GT6 servers misbehave the way they do or when things might improve. It makes me wonder how much Sony is backing and expecting from Polyphony Digital these days.

Clear GT6 Network cache.

Check your Firewall settings, do clear line out, or DMZ for PS3. Several routers default Firewall is blocking during GT6, doesn't happen all the time, I don't know why not all the time. Switch Firewall off for testing and if it helps start to work with your mappings.

Every single person in our group has their PS3 in the DMZ. It does help and normally resolves any network connectivity issues in any other game, but not GT6.

The game is broken and has been since GT5, but its even worse with GT6. Plus we have near zero chance of PD acknowledging the issue.

It's strange how Sony has been very open toward the Driveclub community in their efforts to address the game's server problems. Meanwhile, here we are having no idea why GT6 servers misbehave the way they do or when things might improve. It makes me wonder how much Sony is backing and expecting from Polyphony Digital these days.

I feel like if this was COD or Destiny the devs would’ve been raked over hot coals for its shoddy network stability, but for some reason Gran Turismo seems to get a free pass. Maybe because it’s probably played by more people in single player than multiplayer (and who could blame them). Or maybe it’s because it connects 98% percent of the time and that’s ‘good enough’

The problem is that even if only 2% of peer connections fail this is multiplied by the number of people in the lobby and depends on which connection method is used.

A failure rate of 2% in a room of 16 players with a fixed host means there’s an ~18% chance of at least one person not being able to connect.

A failure rate of 2% in a room of 16 players with a non-fixed host mean there’s a 92% chance of at least one person not being able to connect. On top of that, it seems like when a connection between two peers fails this adversely effects other peer-to-peer connections within the lobby too.

BTW, the 2% figure I plucked from the air. The purposed was to demonstrate in simplistic terms the effect running a non-fixed host has on the probability of a stable lobby.

@MGR hmm.. I made my connections thru hub(switch)->hub->router (NAT2 automatic MTU) and have "0" problems on connecting on lobbies. Or some really rare cases it denies connection straight on lobby menu, but if connection its made I'm always seen and seeing others. No firewall used, or any parental control or other line sniffing during game or line on ps3.

friday our team had to redo a new server and .. trying to connect all at the same time resulted in a lot of fails
yesterday was even more funny, change track by vote
we were on high speed ring and grand valley was voted
despite the results being in favor to gran valley and the message saying we were going to
we stayed on high speed ring ...
i don't remember seeing that before

@MGR hmm.. I made my connections thru hub(switch)->hub->router (NAT2 automatic MTU) and have "0" problems on connecting on lobbies. Or some really rare cases it denies connection straight on lobby menu, but if connection its made I'm always seen and seeing others. No firewall used, or any parental control or other line sniffing during game or line on ps3.

I probably have the least issues in our group and don't usually have problems connecting to a lobby, but we do have issues 'seeing' everybody on track.

We also run a private (or club) room and I do an audit before we start. So I'll get everybody to 'go-to-track' and ask everybody if they can see X number of cars listed (the number in the top left corner of the screen). Lets say there's 10 cars on track. Some can see all 10 cars, some can only see 8 or 9 (maybe only two).

I think many people that join a public lobby are not even aware they cannot see other cars on track because their is no indication on their own screen that there's a problem. The room might have 16 cars but they may only be able to see 10 and they wouldn't even know they are missing 6 other cars.

It's obvious PD are never going to fix (or even acknowledge) this, at least not on PS3. Fingers crossed the change in architecture on the PS4 will indirectly fix this garbage netcode.

We had a new issue present itself yesterday in two separate drag rooms. Cars literally vanishing right in front of us.

On both occasions they were people that had been in the room for over 45mins without any issues and both times it was as soon as somebody left the lobby, the person right in front of us just disappeared. He said "hey, where did you all go?". We all said the same thing to him, "we are all still here, you just vanished".

I've noticed these different scenarios with people not seeing each other.

1. Person has a loading bar on your screen indefinitely, and you both can't see each other or see what each other is writing.(Both people need to re-join).

2. I can see a person, but they can't see me. If I try to ram them, they are an immovable object. If they happen to drive into me, it is as though I am weightless. (Other person needs to re-join)

3. I can't see a person but they can see me. (I need to re-join).

4. Just joined a lobby and everyone is on the track (let's say 7 people). As soon as I enter the track or visit the garage and come back it shows only 4 people on the track. When I look at the list of names, 3 people have loading bars over there names. Time for a new lobby to be made.

It's pretty frustrating and the thing I dislike the most is that we are just forced to accept it and it becomes a "GT Routine".

I'm just a drag racer and It peeves me off. I could only imagine the frustration it causes people trying to conduct proper circuit racing events/endurance events etc.

Sorry if I've ranted a bit.
Cheers, Jez.

yesterday saw a strange issue online everyone is on track on a free run lobby a few mins later of playing i see a spam of players disconnecting on chat box before i get disconnected and just 1 player stay on the lobby.but the most strange thing is that guy who stay on the lobby has a lot of lag when i saw it. Crazy :odd:

All of these issues are caused by either ppl using mobile broadband or blocked ports in their ADSL router. Contrary to popular belief the DMZ doesn't always unblock all ports as different router manufacturers put various web and sound protocols in various different ports. Unless you set a static IP address for your ps3,do your port forwarding for the PSN port numbers with that same static IP & set the DMZ to the same,and turn OFF the Up&p when doing your static IP,you will strike these problems.
Fixed/Unfixed makes little difference apart from helping any NAT 3 connection join.They CANNOT host at all or join unfixed lobbies.
All of the above is EASILY done,there are many picture/video step by step tutorials online,with the list off the 8 sets of PSN port numbers available from PS support,and listed online.If you are a technophobe,there are programmes for your pc to do the router,as well as your Net Provider can do it remotely with most routers. If ALL lobby members do this and NO MBB is being used by anyone,you will be amazed by the difference! Believe me I've researched this and have had zero issues with me seeing anyone,etc,except for lag punts from others not having their stuff sorted,since early 2014,when i got so frustrated i did the research to work it out,after going through the issues with MBB in GT5 days. I guarantee it's nothing to do with the updates.
I race with @MINT_GTR in the ROOZ leagues,and he can testify that I have helped many sort these same issues for the last four seasons there,and that it does make a difference.
LASTLY,IF YOU ARE USING MBB,STOP!!!! AS MBB ONLY USES ONE PORT,NOT 8,YOU WILL BE THE BULK OF THE PPL NOT SEEING EACH OTHER AS YOU WILL NOT PASS ON THE DATA OF VARIOUS OTHER APPL. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE THIS,CALL PS SUPPORT,THEY WILL SET YOU STRAIGHT!!!!
ALSO IF YOU HAVE A THOMSON/TECHNICOLOR/ALCATEL "GATEWAY" ROUTER, REPLACE IT WITH A GOOD(Net gear,Netcomm,Cisco,TP-link, DP-link,etc) NAME BRAND ROUTER AS THEY HAVE THE WRONG FIRMWARE & CHIPSET FOR GAMING AND WILL CONTINUE TO PROVIDE THE SAME CRAPPY ISSUES AS THE PORT FORWARD & DMZ DON'T WORK PROPERLY,PERIOD!!!!!!
GOOD LUCK & BEFORE YOU POO-HOO THE ABOVE & BLAME PD, REMEMBER I'M JUST A RACER LIKE YOU,NOT A PD OR SONY EMPLOYEE, AND WHY WOULD I SPEND 40 mins TYPING THIS TO HELP A LEAGUE I DON'T RACE IN? ANSWER IS BECAUSE THE MORE PEOPLE THAT KNOW, GETS MORE DOING IT SO THAT MAYBE WE CAN ALL ENJOY OUR RACING MORE.
Also a big bonus of doing this is that you NEVER get rejected from the Quick Race lobbies,so you can driver like a maniac somewhere that no one cares,they all drive like that in them,lol.

Last edited:
I run a room every night. It fills up almost every night.

I have noticed no NEW problems with the latest update. The invisible car problem has been in the game since the beginning of GT5 online racing.

I have noticed an improvement though. You now see the car that people have changed into. Before this update, much of the time you could not see when people changed cars.

If they drove a Civic last race and then changed into a Focus, you would often see the Civic on the track.

I am very glad they fixed this.

Off topic: Plus Mid-Field reverse rocks!!

I'll save you all a bit of searching,here is the list of the PSN ports needed. With the stand alone Numbers you enter them in both the start & end port spaces,with the two "series" set's have the first in the start port box,and the second in the end port box.
Set the protocols to TCP & UDP for all.

Here they are:
3478-3479
10070-10079

Hope things can get sorted for all with issues.
If you are using the "easy" method of ps3 network config, you can improve things slightly by rescanning them EVERY time you boot up, along with the clear cache,etc. If you leave a lobby,by choice or DSC, clear it again before re-entering to eliminate corrupt cache data sending the lobby haywire.
Balls in your court now guys, I can only feed you the info,not do it all for ya's,although a trip around the world would be good,lol! :-)

I have noticed no NEW problems with the latest update. The invisible car problem has been in the game since the beginning of GT5 online racing.
Almost all the connection problems have been there since the beginning.

What's annoying is that PSN doesn't advertise WHY these things happen, and what people can do to prevent the different weird things from happening.

But from experience I've found:

People who get lag spikes and start shooting about...
Generally have someone or something else on the same internet connection streaming video or doing something internet intensive at the same time they are racing.

People who disconnect a lot from lobbies...
Usually are connecting over WiFi - they have no hard wire connection from the modem/router to the PS3, and worse, their PS3 is a fair distance away from the router/modem.

People who get the invisible car problems lots...
Often they are using bridged router set-ups instead of a modem/router in one... and in addition to using a bridged router set-up, they don't understand or don't bother to go through all that rigamarole @Derek Nickels has been ranting about in all caps.

Needless to say people who have all of the above going on have horrible miserable experiences online racing full of various frustrating connection problems.

I've had each of these issues, yet I'm hardwired directly to my modem (no router in between), and with all devices that connect to the internet turned off. I'm also 1.5 miles from my ISP, and all tests of my service indicate that it's consistent and stable.

I'm not sure this is something PD can fix, as I'm pretty sure it's a Sony problem.

I've had each of these issues, yet I'm hardwired directly to my modem (no router in between), and with all devices that connect to the internet turned off. I'm also 1.5 miles from my ISP, and all tests of my service indicate that it's consistent and stable.

I'm not sure this is something PD can fix, as I'm pretty sure it's a Sony problem.

Yes, but when have you had the issues? Constantly?
It takes 2 to tango on the internet.
Is it just sometimes with certain people?

I've occasionally had these problems too.
But not like every day I join a lobby like some people who can't seem to stay in a lobby for 2 races together without getting DC'd or not being able to see other cars.

And I usually only experience a problem when others are experiencing problems BADLY, and it's usually the people who have the problems pretty often.
Like one day 3-4 people had the invisible car problem. Then suddenly half the lobby couldn't see each other.
But that's rare.
Usually it's the same few people all the time.
And I've noticed that some people tend to have these problems WITH EACH OTHER.
So it could be that one person's connection issue is more of a problem than the other.
IE: one person's problem is very minor, but it becomes more of a problem when someone else with larger problems is in the lobby.

Append:
Also the black screen is usually due to someone in the room on a wireless either getting DC'd or almost getting DC'd.
And that effects everyone else in the room... but it's caused by the person with the problem - not everyone who then experiences it.

Also...
Lots of times people SAY they were DC'd.
When in reality if you had a room with qualifying, they wouldn't DC between every race. Their connection would be fine if the room setting wasn't set for RGO based on previous race. :rolleyes:
(I nip this in the bud by having a manual RGO line up for the next race. Or, if they're late to join back, they get in the manual grid order at the back. No point in "getting DC'd" between races at events I host. :sly:)

Last edited:
@McClarenDesign Wi-fi or CAT between ps3 and router, what connection type on modem, how large MTU your ISP supports, are you under that limit?
WiFi= check mirror if problems
CAT= check your settings
MTU= Google, Google how to determine largest packet size.

@McClarenDesign Wi-fi or CAT between ps3 and router, what connection type on modem, how large MTU your ISP supports, are you under that limit?
WiFi= check mirror if problems
CAT= check your settings
MTU= Google, Google how to determine largest packet size.

Internet quality varies HUGELY across the U.S.
Not just in speed, but in reliability and upkeep maintenance of the lines that exist.

I use a (short) cat6 cable to connect the ps3 to the modem/router unit.
I'm not a hardware expect by any means, so I'm not sure how big the difference is, but it says right on the cat6 cable packages in the store "for gaming".

Running a fixed-host room also helps if the above fails. Since switching to fixed-hosting I've had no problems.

An update to this, there actually was an issue last Wednesday when I tried to host a Club Lobby.

I initially started with a Fixed Host room, but nobody could connect. This was happening when I created a second room also.

We ended up going with a P2P room instead, and had a few drivers experiencing "invisible cars" as a result but since Fixed-Hosting wasn't an option we had to run the race inspite of these issues.

Wifi is always a gamble as is strugles to maintain steady latency figures. MBB is even worse. Both are the main culprits for bouncing/jittering car behavior and bad connections. Use a cat cable whenever possible and get ports sorted.

An update to this, there actually was an issue last Wednesday when I tried to host a Club Lobby.

I initially started with a Fixed Host room, but nobody could connect. This was happening when I created a second room also.

We ended up going with a P2P room instead, and had a few drivers experiencing "invisible cars" as a result but since Fixed-Hosting wasn't an option we had to run the race inspite of these issues.

That is one thing that's definitely totally been messed up since the update... FIXED HOST hosting.
Everyone's reporting problems with this.
Nobody or very few can join a fixed host lobby.
No clue why.

The reality is that unless they fix this issue, and other platforms can provide a stable environment to race, they (pd) are going to get spat out by the die hard racers looking for something more than a 3 lap carnage-a-thon full of lag and invisible cars.

Organizing Australia's biggest league is just a tad frustrating when we get 11 of 13 cars in our division 3 room stuck in pits after the fuel stop. That's 11 guys who wanted to hit PD between the eyes with a large and heavy baseball bat !!

We absolutely accept that a bad connection will certainly cause issues for drivers and it's on them to look to resolve the issues, however when it's a PD issue with no resolution in sight, I can't blame drivers for looking for their fix somewhere else. All the more puzzling given the ends they go to to add new game functions and build corporate relationships long after release.

I can't tell you how many people are hanging on the stability of PCARS, given we have well over 110 drivers in our league races on Sunday night, if the opposition even get it half right there will be a mass exodus from the GT franchise. Far too many people are over it.

I have had this problem in both GT5 and GT6, it's most likely everyone's internet connections or just poor servers. When I used wifi I had lots of problems but when I switched to ethernet I stopped getting these problems.

I have had this problem in both GT5 and GT6, it's most likely everyone's internet connections or just poor servers. When I used wifi I had lots of problems but when I switched to ethernet I stopped getting these problems.
I wish more people would realize this.

But there's nothing PD or anyone can do to stop people from trying to race in GT6 over wifi in their bedrooms with a bunch of walls and other electronic equipment between their PS3 & the router/modem, at the same time while their mother is streaming The Bachelor on Hulu, and their older brother is in their bedroom downloading dubious video content. :lol: :rolleyes:
And if you just have 1 or 2 people in the room doing this... then the whole lobby has problems.

Everyone comments are true and logic but what to say when you didn't changed anything about your network config
you monitor your connection for bandwidth/ping/loss packets and everything is fine
you create a lobby and get thrown out of your own lobby while being the only one connected to it
or even can't create a lobby
everything is fine in your network and internet connection
and the only change was a patch of GT6
it can't be a problem on our side ..

Everyone comments are true and logic but what to say when you didn't changed anything about your network config
you monitor your connection for bandwidth/ping/loss packets and everything is fine
you create a lobby and get thrown out of your own lobby while being the only one connected to it
or even can't create a lobby
everything is fine in your network and internet connection
and the only change was a patch of GT6
it can't be a problem on our side ..

Thing is, if this is a new bug, why does it only affect a small portion of players? I have never encountered logon troubles to a room created by myself when using a cabled connection and with all of my other gear working. I've had troubles when one of my my switches broke, my fibre modem switched from bridged mode to router mode and gave me double NAT addressing, my ISP had downtime due to DSLAM errors and when using WIFI. Ping your PS3 from another device and watch it's latency responses. In a normal hardwired network you'll see a steady, predictable<1 ms latency if all is working correctly. A WIFI, or MBB, connection can sway erraticly between 1-> thousands of ms creating a very unpredictable networking environment hugely dependant on it's surroundings.

Last edited:
Well, our regular host always ran a fixed ownership room for 12 - 16 players, which eradicated any intermittent problems a few people sometimes had with invisible cars. We had the odd player disconnect once in a while, but on the whole the racing was pretty stable.

Until the 1.16 update.

Since the update, our host (who has a very fast connection both up and down) cannot host fixed rooms any more. Either it won't create the room, or if he manages to create one, it won't let more than one player in, if anyone. He has tested his connection for speed and ping and it says nothing has changed there.

We are all in our 40's and 50's, and not exactly savvy when it comes to fiddling with the technical aspects of setting up dmz's, port forwarding, static IP's etc, but then again why should we suddenly have to do this stuff when we didn't have to before?

Our regular group all have wired connections to our routers. None of us are using MBB or wifi. All of us play other PS3 games online with very few problems. All of us were able to play GT6 online before the 1.16 update with very few problems, using fixed room ownership.

So we are stuck now with the invisible cars problem which seems even worse than it was before. And we get people who cannot get into the room, people being randomly disconnected, and the whole online experience is a lot worse than it was before the 1.16 update.

The basic fact is that whilst our group of friends could all join and race with very few problems before the update, we now have many problems since the update.

Suddenly, since the 1.16 update, GT6 online is a mess for us, when it wasn't before.

Something has changed, and it isn't at our end.

Back