Opel/Vauxhall Insignia, Saloon Market Unmoved: 300+ BHP OPC/VXR

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 62 comments
  • 8,242 views

YSSMAN

Super-Cool Since 2013
Premium
Messages
21,286
United States
GR-MI-USA
Messages
YSSMAN
Messages
YSSMAN
01_insignia_leak.jpg


Autoblog
The folks at AutoWeek.nl decided to take the wind out of Opel's sails by posting images of the new Insignia before it released official information later this week. We've seen the basic shape and several details of the Insignia when Opel sent out "official" spy shots of their new D-segment player (think Mondeo, Passat), but these newest pictures tell the whole tale, sans artful camouflage.

Due to hit dealers in Europe this October, the Insignia will replace the Vectra and come equipped with a handful of diesel- and gasoline-powered engines, ranging in displacement from 1.6- to 2.8-liters. Both 1.6-liter and a 2.0-liter turbocharged engines will be equipped in the entry level models, with a 250 hp, 2.8-liter V6 powering the range-topper. Diesel mills packing 1.9-liters of displacement and outputting 120 to 150 hp will also be offered, and there's also talk of a 180 hp, 1.9-liter turbo and a 2.9-liter V6 diesel.

The Insignia is relevant to those of us in the States since it will likely replace the Saturn Aura in the next few years. The styling is a slight step above Saturn's current sedan, with an attractive front clip and a rather dynamic swage line that begins aft of the front fender and runs parallel with the rocker panels.

The Opel Insignia will be publicly debuted at the London Motor Show this July and we should see a Saturn variant making its way to the U.S. sometime around the turn of the decade.

07_insignia_leak.jpg


02_insignia_leak.jpg


Hmmm. I like the look, and yet, I don't. I just get the feeling like I've seen it before with the Mondeo and Mazda 6. That being said, the Mazda 6 feels like its leagues ahead...

Still, its better than what most of the other folks offer, and its the start of the Epsilon II chassis for GM. We'll see what comes of it.
 
It's the Opel Malibu. At least they got the rear right, for the most part.
 
I think this would come as the Saturn Aura ;).

I like it. The front isn't all too exciting, but it looks stylish and is a very nice departure from the more hit-and-miss, try too hard designs we're seeing a lot of these days. I guess attractive is a good way to put it. I like the rear a lot. It's really quite slick. It also seems they've managed to package the design to make the car look quite compact.

The interior isn't anything really special though. It looks pretty generic luxury car to me with a plethora of buttons. The trimming keeps it busy enough. I don't really like the steering wheel too much though.
 
Wow... remember when they said it would look just like the GTC concept? Or at least some ridiculously high percentage? Hah.

That swage line gives it more than a passing resemblance to the IS-F, but it's a handsome car. It remarkably looks more compact than the car it replaces, and I'm hoping we get the 2.8L turbo engine over here.
 
Wow... remember when they said it would look just like the GTC concept? Or at least some ridiculously high percentage? Hah.

*looks at GTC*

Looks just like the concept. Overlook the flashy bits, reshape it a bit to be softer and more production-like, add two doors and you have the Insignia. And don't forget the nearly identical interior.
 
The problem in Europe is that this car exists:

Mazda_6_Frankfurt_005.jpg


I'm not sure there are any FWD sedans out there that can top in in my book these days...
 
You guys have accusing of copyright must remember how long this car has been in development. The design would have been cemented long before Mazda or Lexus brought any of those cars out.
I would say I'm hoping for this car in Oz, but I'd much rather get a mid-size Alpha car.
 
The problem in Europe is that this car exists:

Mazda_6_Frankfurt_005.jpg


I'm not sure there are any FWD sedans out there that can top in in my book these days...

:drool:
 
The problem in Europe is that this car exists:

Mazda_6_Frankfurt_005.jpg


I'm not sure there are any FWD sedans out there that can top in in my book these days...

Oh believe me, many will beat it, but none in looks, I'm not the world's biggest Mazda fan, but this one? Holy moly! :drool:👍
 
Hmm... instantly forgot about the Lancer, the Mazda 6 is coming in a hatch version right?? lol

As for the Opel/Saturn... I like how they made a bad ripped off the IS-F fender flare behind the front wheel.

edit: Oh yeah!

2008-mazda-6-24.jpg
 
The problem in Europe is that this car exists:

Mazda_6_Frankfurt_005.jpg


I'm not sure there are any FWD sedans out there that can top in in my book these days...

In Europe the Mazda 6 means very little. People will prefere to buy a Mondeo or a Vectra over the '6' because they are a Ford or a Vauxhall/Opel, these are brands they are familiar with.

Mid-sized Japanese saloons just don't sell compared to their European rivals, they don't really register on people's radar. Having said that, i have seen a lot more (previous gen) Mazda 6's around recently, although the two people i know who own Mazda 6's have absolutely hated them and will never buy one again after all the problems they've had with them. They experienced poor fuel economy from them too.

In the UK at least, mid-sized family saloon buyers have been trading up from the usual Mondeo/Vectra to a 3-series, C-class or even a Passat or Alfa 159 (if they wanted something different). They want a more premium badge on their grill. Mondeos and Vectras were traditionally bought as company fleet cars, but since regulations on company cars have changed, people who were previously happy to be given a Mondeo or Vectra are now wanting something with a better image if it's coming out of their own pocket.
 
The badge will probably be the best looking thing on the car, since I dont really think the design is much to look at when compared to the above Mazda.
 
Not sure if I like the new Vauxhall Badge... its just the old one zoomed in. I have a Corsa and much prefer the old one... its more like a Merc Badge :sly: Although I do see what they are going after (something similar to what Rover tried to do with their badge). Looks too Peugeot'y now :sick:

car_photo_247587_7.jpg
 
Looks more like the Holden badge now.
 
You guys have accusing of copyright must remember how long this car has been in development. The design would have been cemented long before Mazda or Lexus brought any of those cars out.
I would say I'm hoping for this car in Oz, but I'd much rather get a mid-size Alpha car.

First I re-quote myself for the accusations of copyright, this design was more than likely locked in by '04/'05, compare to cars of that era then start accusing of copyright.

Then, to TheCracker,

Holden%20Logo.JPG


:drool:
 
Well the thing is, we won't even get the Insignia in the US (as the Aura) until at least calendar year 2009 as a 2010 model... Furthermore, we aren't even getting that version of the Mazda 6 either. Don't get me wrong, the GM is a great car, and I'm sure it will be one of the best cars in it's class when it shows up, but we've got a while.

...Until then, smart people buy these:

the_buzzard_and_baloney_brigade_36_gallery_image_large.jpg
 
What's funny is in this pic:
02_insignia_leak.jpg

the front end looks like a BMW.
 
The Insignia does look sharp, and if it gets something better inside the cabin than the Malibu LTZ (and it should, at least as an Aura,) I'd give it serious thought...However, as of now, I find it a bit TOO close to the Malibu for comfort - and Chevy dealerships are easier to find than Saturns.

the Euro 6/Atenza is sharp.

and the new Vauxhall badge looks like the Holden badge.
 
You know, now that you mention it, maybe the impact of the Insignia is completely lessened because of how good the Malibu actually is. The looks aren't radically different, the interior quality looks similar, they're nearly the same...
 
-> You guys seem to be forgetting something:

1030big.jpg


&

9080211.014.Mini10L.jpg


^ It's not only the world-spec (except US) Mazda 6 is GM going to be worrying about. Its also these two are going to kink that Insignia.

USDM version-> As for the market here in the US, the Insignia theme won't arrive here for the first few years. And that design language will obviously will belong to the Aura, not Malibu. The Malibu will still have that ugly butt couple of years more. :indiff:
 
The Insignia was purely created to compete with the Mondeo in the UK... Both look equally good but I think the Ford looks more refined...

Robin
 
I think the Ford has a huge butt. Lay off the donuts Ford.
 
I think the Ford has a huge butt. Lay off the donuts Ford.

No. The UAW will complain about donut layoffs, and then shut down more plants.
 
USDM version-> As for the market here in the US, the Insignia theme won't arrive here for the first few years. And that design language will obviously will belong to the Aura, not Malibu. The Malibu will still have that ugly butt couple of years more. :indiff:

Quite right, however, you do notice the similarities in shape between the two, no? My guess is that is why the Insignia's "impact" seems minimized to me, just that the Malibu has some similar cues is enough to lessen it.

Its a good-looking car, but the Malibu won't go to the Epsilon-II chassis that the Insignia is on until 2012 or later. The next-generation Buick LaCrosse will be the first American Epsilon-II, and that won't show up until 2010 I think...
 
More Officialness:

02_opel_insignia_first.jpg


04_opel_insignia_first.jpg
 
From the rear, I'm getting a sort of BMW vibe...
 
Its a bit 3-series esque, isn't it?

Makes you wonder if they'll offer XWD on more than just the high performance models this time around...
 
It makes me feel like I'm looking at a older Kia. Which really isn't particularly good.
 
Back