Opel/Vauxhall Insignia, Saloon Market Unmoved: 300+ BHP OPC/VXR

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 62 comments
  • 8,242 views
Its like a 6 series that hit the baby of the 3 and 5 series.
 
I'm really only seeing BMW in the taillights, a bit of the side treatment and maybe the way the greenhouse is done. Maybe the headlights and hood are a bit of a C/3 blend....

I don't think it's anything to go file a lawsuit against. The similarities are so subtle to me that it was probably just a bit of coincidence.
 
I sort of like the exterior. Overall though, it's pretty forgettable. I mean I've just had to scroll down to write this quick reply and I find myself constantly going back and forth to remember what it looks like. They've made it look like a sort of BMW rival on a budget, which to be honest is just dull.

But that interior! Bleeeugh! Quite what possessed them to make it match the shade of a '70s bathroom I don't know... It's just not interesting enough. Within 2 years, it'll be outdated and boring. Actually, compared to the Mondeo it already is. Although atleast they have put some curves into it this time - the old interior was more perpendicular than a Porsche designed kitchen (google it).
 
You guys are the wierdest bunch of wierd people I know :sly: (Please don't take offence, friendly banter). I think it looks great, for a mid-size sedan. If it makes it to Australia as a Holden I will recommend it to everyone.
 
Did they kill the Vectra in the Holden line for the Daewoo thingy? That would likely be the only hurdle...

We'll be getting this one as the Buick LaCrosse, Pontiac G6 (that is, if it isn't going Alpha), Saturn Aura and (eventually) the Chevrolet Malibu. Oh, and the Saab 9-3.

The good news is that this chassis should be able to flex to different models easily...
 
It starts out so promising..... and by the end it all falls apart. It just looks really awkward.

EDIT: My first post in 24 hours. :odd:
 
Has anyone got a pic of it in Vauxhall trim?, I suspect the front grille will look better with the V they always have under the badge as apposed to Opel's straight bar.

This car looks great from the back and not from the front. The front really reminds me of the front of the Jag XF... its like really disappointing compared to the concept (although the Insignia concepts front didn't look all that great either).

It just seems some manufacturers are just not getting the front right! I also have a problem with the interior, other Vaxuhall interiors are quite nice like the new Corsa but this looks like some cheap Kia.

Robin
 
Has anyone got a pic of it in Vauxhall trim?, I suspect the front grille will look better with the V they always have under the badge as apposed to Opel's straight bar.

I'm sure I read somewhere they are going to move away from the V starting with the Insignia, or maybe keep it for VXR models? I can't remember. Something about a more upscale look.

It's odd the reaction the car is getting; CAR online loves it, calling it the best looking in the segment.
 
I'm sure I read somewhere they are going to move away from the V starting with the Insignia, or maybe keep it for VXR models? I can't remember. Something about a more upscale look.

I think that would a shame because its like a brand identity and it worked well on all the models up to now... oh well.

I found pics of the GTC concept on which the insignia is based (The orginal insignia concept looked horrible but this one looked hot!).

Opel_GTC_Concept_2.jpg


Opel_GTC_Concept_1.jpg


Robin
 
Did they kill the Vectra in the Holden line for the Daewoo thingy? That would likely be the only hurdle...

Yes they did, but everyone knows it's only really a tempoary fix, we're either getting the Insignia or an Alpha car I think.
 
I just found this wicked press release photos showing the differences between the Opel and Vauxhall versions:

opelinsignia2009800x600cf5.jpg

vauxhallinsignia2009800po4.jpg

Maybe I'm just being mean, but you must admit that it is funny that GM thinks they are fooling someone with this.
 
I won't fight you on it... I'd love to see how "creative" they'll get with a Saturn badge lodged in there...
 
Maybe it's just me, but I thought that in the case of Vauxhall/Opel, GM has never tried to pretend they're anything but the same brand. The feeling I get from the euro-mags is that everyone knows they are identical brands, just a different name for the UK market. Not quite the same as the whole "Saturn is a failure, bring in the European cars" thing that happened.

*shrug*
 
Now now, not all of the American Saturns sucked. Just most of them. The crossovers seem to go over pretty well, but of course, the VUE was rolled into another Opel-designed global effort. The only "American" Saturn left will be the Outlook, and even then, the outlook (haaaaa) on that isn't bright. Its just not selling well at all, and with the Chevrolet Traverse joining up later this year, my guess its the end for that product altogether.

Which reminds me: We're getting the Zafira now, and we're supposed to be building them in Illinois (I think?). So yeah, Saturn will be a "global" brand much like Holden in which most, if not all, of the cars are from the Opel lineup.
 
IMO, it sucks that Saturn has basically lost their "uniqueness" now that they're more closely tied into GM. I remember back when my dad first bought his brand new 1993 SC2, that was fun. Now it's lame that all they're selling is rebadged cars with none of the dent-resistant panels that they were famous for. Oh well, they did sell the S-series for 11 years!
 
While I do miss the S-series dearly, their cars were *at best* marginal under most circumstances. I found a gently used SC2 the other day and had a look, and while mechanically it was one of the best GM cars of the era, its that damn interior that keeps me away.

The L-series is a good sign of why Saturn needed to become a larger part of the GM life. It underperformed in every conceivable measure, and truthfully, only appealed to Saturn-philes. Odd, however, that two of my neighbors have them... One an L200 sedan, the other an LW200 Wagon.

The difference with Saturn is that GM can do far more crazy things with them overall. A light sprinkling of German and Korean samplings makes the brand "stand out" at the very least, obviously of course, with wishy-washy results. Case in point; The Astra.
 
True the interiors on the S-series were quite cheap, it's part of the reason the car was cheap. Both me and my dad could care less what the interior is like as long as we fit and everything is in reach.
 
To this day I contend that the S-series is the best car Saturn has ever made, rebadged Opel or not.
 
I agree, it is the car that made the company.
 
thumb800x800_2762768540_d5c0fb406b_o.jpg


thumb800x800_2762768464_d32d872357_o.jpg


Is it just me or does the wagon look thousands of times better than the sedan? I mean, the sedan has grown on me a lot since it first debuted (still, no love for the Acura TL copycat)... But this? Its just plain beautiful.

The Passat Wagon needs to watch its back. I think I have a new favorite.
 
Still prefer the saloon myself. Really nice looking car. Judging by some first tests of it in mags it's pretty handy on the road too.
 
Wow that estate looks awesome, especially the rear view of it. I really hope GM brings it here as a Saturn.
 
Making it look different and giving it a new name won't work if it still drives like a family Vauxhall.

They did it before with the Cavalier when we got the Vectra B. New look. New name. Same old vague, understeery mess, which they repeatedly tried to solve by giving it more and more power so that you forgot about how badly it did the corner because it went fast afterwards - until they ended up at the Vectra VXR. Numb, uninvolving crap and, unless they learn from Ford and Mazda (I say "and"...) they won't solve anything with fancy new clothes and calling it something different.
 
Have a look at the new Auto Express, they've had a first test and say it's right up there with the Mondeo, miles ahead of the Vectra.

Not that it matters any more, but even if it was crap to drive it doesn't really matter, people would still buy it. When it spends it's life on motorways does it really matter if it's incisive and fun?...
 
Is that AutoExpress who once roadtested a plywood model of a car as if it were the production one (including motion-shots from where they pushed it)?

*strokes ST220*
 
Is that AutoExpress who once roadtested a plywood model of a car as if it were the production one (including motion-shots from where they pushed it)?

*strokes ST220*

I wouldn't say there are many car magazines innocent of things like that. I have a copy of Autocar, who being over 100 years old you'd think were pretty respected, "testing" the original Ghia StreetKa. It then emerged in the newspapers that it didn't even have a working engine, it was being pushed down hills for the action shots, and they never went above 4mph...:ouch:

Regardless, I'm inclined to trust Auto Express more than many other car mags. And if they say the Insignia is great then I'll believe them. They weren't exactly glowing with praise for the Vectra II when it emerged so if the Insignia is rubbish then they can't be called consistant...
 
Wow that estate looks awesome, especially the rear view of it. I really hope GM brings it here as a Saturn.

We'll get it as a Saturn, but Lutz has already said that we'll get sheetmetal that will have a greater amount of difference in it compared to the Aura vs Vectra in this current generation.

I assume that the only concern with the wagon is that it could cannibalize Saab 9-3 sales or CTS Wagon sales, but, I really don't know for sure. To really be honest, I'd rather see a Malibu wagon at this point than waiting a few years for an Aura wagon.
 
Both the sedan and wagon are very sexy, GM are right on par with wagons now, when you look at the VE Sport Wagon, the CTS Sport Wagon and now this Opel Insignia ?Sports Estate? (I think that's what they called it).
 
opelopc_title.jpg


Opel Builds a Cheap Version of the 9-3 TurboX

In yet another point of reference where Europe gets the better car compared to what we'll have here, Opel (and Vauxhall) are lining up their hi-po versions of the European 2009 Car of the Year. Equipped with a 300+ BHP Turbocharged 2.8L V6 and presumably Saab's XWD system, it should be a monster when it comes to overall performance.

No word if we're getting it here, Stateside. We'll have the Insignia as the Regal, and while the Aura would be the next-in-line for something like this, I'm beginning to doubt whether or not we'll see that at all.
 
Back