Opinions on the Scion Tc and other cars.

  • Thread starter Thread starter cobragt
  • 146 comments
  • 5,455 views
The Caddy is cool :sly: If I ever own a Caddy Ill get mods from your company Ghost
 
skip0110
It's a pity that you took down all the pictures of your rear "strut tower brace" because that was some serious engineering, for "race" I guess, as you say. Clearly you don't understand much mechanics (in the physics sense, I mean).

Of course I have no experince with anything.

Here's what my trunk looks like. Imagine that the strut brace is blue and 4" out of the picture, and you get the point.

What, by chance, are you going to say about it? That it didn't cost me $800 to make and it's not a fully welded roll cage so obviously it's useless? Seriously, fill me in here, what "mechanics in the physics sense" am I not understanding? Let me learn you a thing or two first, from a professional standpoint here. Steel provides more resistance to twisting forces than air. Period - There's not a discussion to be had, it's not a debate, it's a fact pure and simple. So let me know about your "mechanics in the physics sense" that is going to tell me that air is stronger than steel.

What history do you have in building race cars or show cars? I want to know what gave you the idea that you can talk down to my method of building cars, because I'll tell you right now if you don't have a proven history of doing it better, you can't do it better. I don't give a rat's ass about any schooling you think you have, or what your "mechanics in the physics sense" tell you, you can't do anything better than I can until you've done it better than I have.

EDIT: Isn't the HT-4900 a TBI? Why bother?

Yes, it's TBI! Look at those injectors in the throttle body! In case the big red lettering saying "V8 PFI" on the valve cover, or the clearly visibile fuel rails, or the lack of injectors in the throttle body don't clue you in, it's sequential electronic port fuel injection.

Edit:

GT4_Rule
The Caddy is cool :sly: If I ever own a Caddy Ill get mods from your company Ghost

Why thank you, kind sir. :)
 
Ghost C
Here's what my trunk looks like. Imagine that the strut brace is blue and 4" out of the picture, and you get the point.

What, by chance, are you going to say about it? That it didn't cost me $800 to make and it's not a fully welded roll cage so obviously it's useless? Seriously, fill me in here, what "mechanics in the physics sense" am I not understanding? Let me learn you a thing or two first, from a professional standpoint here. Steel provides more resistance to twisting forces than air. Period - There's not a discussion to be had, it's not a debate, it's a fact pure and simple. So let me know about your "mechanics in the physics sense" that is going to tell me that air is stronger than steel.
Ever stand on a car's roof? Steel is only strong in two dimensions, so all you are doing is stressing the **** out of your trunk floor. Conratulations.

Look, all I said is you are a "shade tree mechanic", which means a person who works without computerized equipment. The fact that this alone got your panties in a muss (and it isn't even an insult!) means you have a big ego and little confidence. We are done here.
 
Well, duh. If you insult someone for what they do, then of course they will be upset. If someone said that what I do for a living is a crap job, of course I will be mad at them; you don't have to have a pro web site to be considered pro mechanic, btw. Many auto shops don't even have a decent web site - they probably pay some computer programmer to make web pages for them. IUPAC - Internatoinal Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry, a bunch of pro chemists, dont even have a web site half as good as my friend's, and shes 15. I mean, that's where I want to work in the future, but Im not going all upset because IUPAC has some crap web site.

Edit: Skip, I think you should add the word "extensively modified" after the '92 in your signature.
 
skip0110
Ever stand on a car's roof? Steel is only strong in two dimensions, so all you are doing is stressing the **** out of your trunk floor. Conratulations.

Look, all I said is you are a "shade tree mechanic", which means a person who works without computerized equipment. The fact that this alone got your panties in a muss (and it isn't even an insult!) means you have a big ego and little confidence. We are done here.

Ah, so basically you got your bluff called, and you have nothing to back up your statements, as we both know that tubular steel is not the same as a flat panel. Or maybe your "mechanics in the physics sense" you speak of didn't teach you that.

Now you can scamper back to where you came from feeling like you won some great victory because you don't know what you're talking about, and you ended your post with "We are done here."

Edit: I must have hurt your feelings awfully bad in order to make it into your signature. I feel special. :)
 
Ghost C
Ah, so basically you got your bluff called, and you have nothing to back up your statements, as we both know that tubular steel is not the same as a flat panel. Or maybe your "mechanics in the physics sense" you speak of didn't teach you that.
Maybe you want to reread my post before oyu deliver the victory speech there big guy ;) I said trunk FLOOR
 
skip0110
Maybe you want to reread my post before oyu deliver the victory speech there big guy ;) I said trunk FLOOR

I saw what you said. Now let's realize that the piece that the triangle brace is bolted to is a fully welded box on the trunk floor of a unibody car that's been strengthened because it's also the pickup point for the inside of the control arms on the rear suspension, and the attachment points for the brace in question are strengthened by the brace in the center. The brace does not push on the box or the trunk floor, it pushes on the rest of the brace. That's why it was designed like that. Maybe you should have taken a better look at the picture before you gave YOUR victory speech. ;)

Or maybe your "mechanics in the physics sense" should have taught you about engineering things, and you should stop relying on f'ing computers to tell you how to build something.
 
Ghost C
True, I don't know I'd use the word genius to describe what I do, but I was the first person to provide any type of aftermarket for the car, and my car is internationally recognized as the fastest FWD DeVille, ever. It inspires more jealousy and hatred than it does compliments.

Where?

How much power does your car have? and what performance figures do you have?

Any track times?

And you beat the S2000 in a drag? or was it a track race?
 
Small_Fryz
Where?

How much power does your car have? and what performance figures do you have?

Any track times?

And you beat the S2000 in a drag? or was it a track race?

I could tell you what my car made in power, but you'd just tell me I was lying. So here's the scoop, it made 200hp and 275ft/lbs stock, it's a V8 that is known for not breathing at higher RPM's, and it has a cold air intake, a straight through muffler on a 2 3/4" mandrel bent exhaust, timing advance, and a ground wire kit. It's 388lbs lighter than stock, and has stickier, wider tires on lighter wheels. Conclude what you want from that information.

I'm not willing to post any track times because people would just tell me I was lying. It's quick, and if you wanted to beat me on the streets, you'd need a low 14 second car, and that's all I'm willing to say.

Yes, I beat the S2000 in a drag race. It would kill me around a track unless driven by a total idiot.
 
tell me your hp, i wont think your lieing. ive seen 1200hp and many many vids of dyno'd V8's running easily 500 - 800hp.

So whats the damage? how much hp you got?

And if you car is recognized as the fastest surely you have dyno's and stuff to back it up and prove it?
 
Small_Fryz
tell me your hp, i wont think your lieing. ive seen 1200hp and many many vids of dyno'd V8's running easily 500 - 800hp.

So whats the damage? how much hp you got?

And if you car is recognized as the fastest surely you have dyno's and stuff to back it up and prove it?

On a good day, my car should make about 200hp to the wheels right now. If it made more, I'd be surprised. Yes, a V8 with 200whp or less, laugh all you want, it just makes the victory that much sweeter. I'm in the process of fitting it with an alcohol injection system, so within the next few weeks it should gain a few horsepower.

As I said, I don't post track times, dyno numbers, or anything like that because I catch hell for it and I don't really care what people think. I'm building my car up for Time Attack racing and street use, so the only thing that matters is what it can do on the street and what it can do on the road course. As for fastest FWD DeVille, it's not a hotly contested title, but yes, I can back it up if I need to. I'm not into bench racing, and if/when someone wants to take my title, I'll race them heads up. No dyno charts, no old timeslips, just a good old fashioned heads up race - Nothing else matters.
 
Ghost C
Fact: MotoRex is out of business. Their lease has been up for months - The landlord has closed the gates and locked the doors, look it up. The owner is being held on $1,000,000 bail for various crimes.

FACT: Called MotoRex (310) 523-2233, and yes they are open for business.


Ghost C
The original article came from MPH Magazine. Does it make it any less funny that the only link I could find containing all 10 cars was from someone's personal website? I'm sorry you took personal offense to it - Stop being such a fanboy.

Fanboys are people who dress up in costume, for anime shows. I'm more of a FACTman.


Ghost C
Oh goody! A site made by fanboys, it couldn't possibly be wrong!

Sorry about the fansite. (maybe those links are to your approval :rolleyes:)


Ghost C
Personal attack? How on earth is saying that VTEC has all of the lag but none of the turbo a personal attack? Could you explain it to me?

Don't play stupid, you know I own a Honda. That's just mean.:grumpy:
 
I don't know how Motorex is still open for business, as I said, the landlord has closed and locked the gates to their warehouse.

As for the Skyline's weight, I can go either way. I see as many sites saying the lower weights as I do the higher weights. It doesn't really matter, they're still heavy cars.

As for the sig quote, it's just funny. I got that quote from someone who has a Honda with a VTEC motor. A local guy with a turbocharged Miata has a quote in his sig saying that turbocharging a Miata is like getting a Bic lighter engraved. As soon as I think of something that clever for my car, I'll post it too.
 
Ghost C
As for the Skyline's weight, I can go either way. I see as many sites saying the lower weights as I do the higher weights.


Please, Show us all these sites with heavier weights listed (besides Supercars and fastautos, we already know about those).
 
cobragt
why would insurance on a is300 be so high? Only 5 more years till I'm 25 and I'll get a rx-10 :)

Because when I was shopping for cars before I bought both of my Focuses I inquired about several cars to my insurance company and the IS300 would of costed me $347 per month of full coverage. That's with only 3 points on my record, for contrast a GTO would of only been $219 per month and a 350Z would of costed me $275 per month. It's just an expensive vehicle to repair--and it takes alot of damage when it's hit. That's how insurance is rated here in this state--the amount of damage it inflicts+damage it takes+cost of car+cost of and availability of the parts.
 
JCE3000GT
Because when I was shopping for cars before I boucosted me ght both of my Focuses I inquired about several cars to my insurance company and the IS300 would of costed me $347 per month of full coverage. That's with only 3 points on my record, for contrast a GTO would of only been $219 per month and a 350Z would of costed me $275 per month. It's just an expensive vehicle to repair--and it takes alot of damage when it's hit. That's how insurance is rated here in this state--the amount of damage it inflicts+damage it takes+cost of car+cost of and availability of the parts.
good explanation 👍 I wonder if any of the cars I'm looking at now will have high insurance on them. Right now, I'm either going to the Mazda 3 hatch or scion tc. With the tc, no one can hot wire it so that should lower insurance
 
JCE3000GT
Because when I was shopping for cars before I boucosted me ght both of my Focuses I inquired about several cars to my insurance company and the IS300 would of costed me $347 per month of full coverage. That's with only 3 points on my record, for contrast a GTO would of only been $219 per month and a 350Z would of costed me $275 per month. It's just an expensive vehicle to repair--and it takes alot of damage when it's hit. That's how insurance is rated here in this state--the amount of damage it inflicts+damage it takes+cost of car+cost of and availability of the parts.

D*mn, I want to live where you're living then. 2 places here will rip you off fast.

They love to base it on marque alot.
Here, they'll charge you higher for an E36 '98 or older more than a 2004 300C base. The rate is higher according to them.

I had a car before my current ones and they charged me a lot despite being 12 years old. They wanted to charge me more on it than a 2005 911 Targa.
 
Fixed my post...stupid wireless keyboard sometimes doesn't work too well.
 
VIPERGTSR01
Please, Show us all these sites with heavier weights listed (besides Supercars and fastautos, we already know about those).

Do a google search.
 
Ghost C
Do a google search.

If your going to that there are just as many sites with weights listed at 3900 lbs as there are the lighter listed weights you should expect to back it up.
 
I know there are just as many either way, I said that a few posts up.
 
cobragt
good explanation 👍 I wonder if any of the cars I'm looking at now will have high insurance on them. Right now, I'm either going to the Mazda 3 hatch or scion tc. With the tc, no one can hot wire it so that should lower insurance

I expect the tC to be moderately expensive, since its classified as a sports car and when you add the supercharger, it will come around 200hp, which is still fair bit of power even now. Still, I think Mazda 3 is good; it wont be so popular if it werent for its affordable insurance, right? :sly:
 
Ghost C
I know there are just as many either way, I said that a few posts up.

I guess you completely fail to understand what I mean. I'm asking for you to back up what you said. Provide the links this plethora of websites featuring heavily ladened skylines as you said you have found or your arguement holds zero water. If your going to make claims about the existence of websites you should do a better job of leading us to them then "do a google search"
 
Here's the thing, I don't care whether or not you believe that there are sites saying that the Skyline is heavier than what you guys say. If you don't believe me and can't do a simple google search, it's your problem.
 
:rolleyes:
Then why do you even bother taking part in an arguement if ultimately you don't care whether anyone believes you or not.
 
:lol: Good point. :lol:

As a final word:

I've done the search. The only sites that actually say the Skyline is 1666 kgs (or, in the case of one pretty woeful one, 1.666 kgs) are mostly poster-cut-and-paste sites. Magazine sites, fan sites, tuning sites from Australia and the UK (oh, so if they actually turn wrenches, they probably have no idea, right?) and other poster-cut-and-paste sites reflect the official weight value of the GTR at 1540 for the "regular" R33 and R34 GTR, 1560 for the R34 GTR V-Spec (though some sites erroneously list it as the weight for the base GTR) and 1580 for the end-of-the-line M-Spec.

But then, I've said that already...
rolleyes.gif


But to put the issue to rest... NISSAN's Official Press Release puts the "standard" GTR at 1540.

Granted, it is possible that these other sites are quoting gross weight, which is the vehicle plus fluids... but I'd be surprised if the GTR actually carried 126 kilos of fuel and oil. With a tank capacity of only 65 liters, the R34 carries about 48-49 kilos of gas, and maybe 15 kgs of coolant, differential, gear and motor oil (a ballpark figure )... giving you a total gross weight of just over 1600kgs. Where they got 1666 is beyond me. :indiff:

Fanboy is such an evil word. A fanboy will often defend their hero to the death in the face of criticism... but those same "fanboys" will often know where every pimple and pound is.

Let's give it a rest, okay? Some sites are BS, so don't believe everything they say... pretty please? :)
 
Nice find with that press release niky, I was looking for something like that the other day.
 
toyomatt84
Don't play stupid, you know I own a Honda. That's just mean.:grumpy:
Oh come on now, you really think he put that there to specifically piss you off? I dont see any other civic owners here putting up a fit about it, just let it go already.

I cant believe youre arguing it though, ive ridden in a t3/t4 b18c civic hatch numerous times, outside of that vtec power range, the acceleration isnt exactly stunning. But then again once it gets revved up and the turbo spools, holy ****, hold on to your hats kids.
 
Ok ok, I will admit, I may have put that as a quote in my sig here at GTP at that very time just to have a shot at him, but it wasn't meant as an insult or anything, just a friendly jab. I use it as a quote for my sigs on several other websites, it's even one of my away messages for AIM.
 
Back