Ordonez confirms Gran Turismo 6

• Thread starter Zlork
  • 251 comments
I'd rather have 400 premiums and a few standards probably around 200 then what we got with this.

It's also like I don't know the word, but I'll go with disappointment when you hear about 1000 cars, but when only 200 and a few more are premium only.

Kind of like the number of race tracks that was a huge disappointment to me I'm happy for the different variations of certain tracks, but at the cost of losing old time classics?

Let's not forget that Lucas Ordonez is basically a Sony employee now. His opinion on Sony products can't be considered independent anymore, so it's only natural that if you ask him, GT6 will be awesome and all.

Here's my personal translation of the original article, from the second paragraph onwards (the first paragraph only introduces Jakub and Lucas at the GT Academy final in Warsaw).
Nevertheless, Jakub had a short conversation with him (Lucas) on the subject of the Gran Turismo series and its future. And the information which Jakub heard (from him) is very interesting. Lucas revealed that Gran Turismo 6 is in full scale development and we will be impressed with how precisely rendered all the tracks are. Additionally, the number of them will be such, that hats will fall off heads.

On the question of the platform (console?) on which it is being developed (originating), he only answered:
"This is a very good question..."

How much of this is true? As a driver for Nissan and the "face" of GT Academy, Lucas, without doubt, knows more than a mere (normal) mortal (figure of speech). And GT6 is sure to be on one of the platforms (difficult translation to English here, it indicates GT6 exists but we don't know which platform it is on).

Last edited:
Anyway, no matter the number of tracks, GT6 must have time changes (either discrete settings - like night/day for city tracks where it might be a problem to animate everything - or continuous) and weather changes (not necessarily rain, but changing clouds, lighting conditions, etc) on all of them.

We already know there are a lot of tracks in GT.

I've made at least 100 of them on Toscana.
new5_muttley.gif

Anyway, no matter the number of tracks, GT6 must have time changes (either discrete settings - like night/day for city tracks where it might be a problem to animate everything - or continuous) and weather changes (not necessarily rain, but changing clouds, lighting conditions, etc) on all of them.

I would be OK with only endurance tracks having time change, like Daytona and Spa Francorchamps. I'm happy with the rest only featuring weather change.

SagarisGTB's translation mentions that Ordonez is impressed with how precise the tracks are rendered. This leads me to believe new tracks in GT6 will consist of a higher number of real world tracks. Thats good, I'd prefer they reduce the amount of new fictional courses for the next installment while focusing on bringing back original GT classics.

Bleh. Most real modern FIA-approved racetracks would be boring (and graphically dull) for the typical "Gran Turismo" car anyway (the 400-450 PP range, the one I personally favor). I would prefer more fictional tracks based on real locations/roads myself.

Time changes, not necessarily full including the night (most race tracks are not designed for night racing) enhance greatly the racing experience. Today I had a few longish races online on La Sarthe with slow time changes (consecutive, on the same server), and even though we didn't manage to reach the night, it was still amazing (beside the venue being historical and famous, etc) compared to other static condition tracks.

I'm not believeing a word about the number of tracks or anything else about GT6 for that matter until the game is out.

I expect Nissan V8 Supercars with Bathurst in GT6...
I would be surprised if there isn't Silverstone as well. Isn't it the main GT Academy venue or something? Also it's got several different configurations - exploitable to inflate the number of "tracks".

SHIRAKAWA Akira
Time changes, not necessarily full including the night (most race tracks are not designed for night racing) enhance greatly the racing experience. Today I had a few longish races online on La Sarthe with slow time changes (consecutive, on the same server), and even though we didn't manage to reach the night, it was still amazing (beside the venue being historical and famous, etc) compared to other static condition tracks.

Well, the proposed weather change GT6 tracks arent completely static. A weather change track will have cloudless sunny days or cloudy days, maybe even rainy or foggy.

I would be surprised if there isn't Silverstone as well. Isn't it the main GT Academy venue or something? Also it's got several different configurations - exploitable to inflate the number of "tracks".

And let us not forget Dubai, GT 24 hour track and speculation yes, but the RJN Motorsport Nissan 350Z GT4 and the Le Mans Signatech cars of Lucas could make it in. Especially if he has a hand in things as it seems.

This is what I would like to see:

GT5 Spec III Q4 2012 - Final GT5 DLC late Q1 2013 - GTVita Q3-Q4 2013 (GT5 port + Vita features) - GT6 Demo (GTHD2) on PS4 launch Q4 2013-Q1 2014 - GT6 releases Q4 2014

I think that is a reasonable timetable for both fans and PD.

Don't care about GT6 ,are we getting GT5 spec III though?

Why "not" care. I have the feeling in a years time people with a similar stance be complaining about Spec II and waiting for GT6.

If we have Spec III (unlikely IMO) then thats delaying GT6. By that time the GT6 lot will be complaining that too much time is being spent on GT5.

Certainly I see Kaz's DLC annoucement a few weeks back confirming more as a final flurry for GT5.

This is what I would like to see:

GT5 Spec III Q4 2012 - Final GT5 DLC late Q1 2013 - GTVita Q3-Q4 2013 (GT5 port + Vita features) - GT6 Demo (GTHD2) on PS4 launch Q4 2013-Q1 2014 - GT6 releases Q4 2014

I think that is a reasonable timetable for both fans and PD.

Didn't Kaz say GT6 wouldn't take as long as GT5 to develop?

How is 4 years from GT5 to GT6 not taking as long or even reasonable?

Since we already knew GT6 was in development I don't see that it is much more than speculation on what platform it will be on. I like many am not going to spend another several hundred dollars on a PS4 or what the price of GT6 may be. We had GT2-4 on the PS2. I don't see why we couldn't have GT6 on the PS3. The PS3 afterall was supposed to be the most advanced console to date.

I did not buy a PS3 when it came out because there wasn't a GT5 at release. I sort of wish I had because the fat PS3 would play PS2 games. This was the main reason why I never bought another Nintendo because they were not backwards compatable with the older games. If Sony is going to go the same route then I guess the PS3 will be my last console from Sony. I would much prefer they release The Gran Turismo series for PC. My PC has 2-3 times the processing power of the PS3 and my graphics card could handle any high resolution game that Sony could produce.

So let's hope GT6 is a completed game when it is released and will be for the PS3. Otherwise I am more than happy with my PS2 & PS3 for the Gran Turismo games already in release.

I think there will likely be a Spec III. Maybe just after the release of GT5 Academy edition in September. I would expect GT6 to be released a year later on Q4 2013 (perhaps there might even be a "GT6 Prologue" DLC for GT5 on mid 2013), and GTVita to be irrelevant to Polyphony's plans for GT5/6.

Keep in mind that PSVita is not selling very well in Japan. On the other hand, the PSP has been one of the best selling portable consoles ever.
Making a GT for PSP was a given, but I don't expect the same to necessarily happen for PSVita.

EDIT: have a look here:

http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/Hardware/JP/

Last edited:
Why "not" care. I have the feeling in a years time people with a similar stance be complaining about Spec II and waiting for GT6.

If we have Spec III (unlikely IMO) then thats delaying GT6. By that time the GT6 lot will be complaining that too much time is being spent on GT5.

Certainly I see Kaz's DLC annoucement a few weeks back confirming more as a final flurry for GT5.

GT6 isn't in the distant future ,if the game I own now which is becoming a bit bland is getting a major update then Yes That's the only thing I care about,plus why would spec III have anything to do with releasing GT6 ,I'm not done with GT5 and won't be no matter how bland it becomes untill GT6 releases.

Hope Sony don't over hype GT6 ........ yeah right:sly:

IMHO, as SpecII had the physics change and some other important changes, I think SpecIII will bring those new stuff PD is working in, such as the damper, aerodynamics, fuel economy indicators that were already shown. Those will probably work together with minor physics changes that probably will be implemented through a big "Spec" update.

Didn't Kaz say GT6 wouldn't take as long as GT5 to develop?

How is 4 years from GT5 to GT6 not taking as long or even reasonable?

More GT5 content, plus GT vita, plus GT6 demo. That is enough to tie me over for two years (oh yeah, there is this thing called life... and it needs living). Then GT6 comes out on PS4 for with a bucket load of content, a polished design, minimal bugs, stunning graphics and physics.

I think once Kaz gets his hands on the PS4 he will not be able to help himself.

paskowitz
More GT5 content, plus GT vita, plus GT6 demo. That is enough to tie me over for two years (oh yeah, there is this thing called life... and it needs living). Then GT6 comes out on PS4 for with a bucket load of content, a polished design, minimal bugs, stunning graphics and physics.

More GT5 content, horray. Can't wait to get another slow butt GT5 car with Nissan stickers slapped on it. And the seasonals. Nothing more then time trial challenges with moving road blocks? Bring 'em on!

I have this thing called a racing bug, and it needs satisfying, something GT5 cannot do anymore. GT6 takes too long I will have moved on to somewhere else.

And GT5 wasn't released until 4 years after PS3's launch. But you seem so confident GT6 will arrive 12 months after PS4 launch with enormous content, few bugs, and amazing graphics? I highly doubt that.

paskowitz
I think once Kaz gets his hands on the PS4 he will not be able to help himself.

How is that a good thing?

GT6 on PS4!

Maybe it will be on PS3 but inferior quality.

They aren't going to make two totally different builds of the game. Doing so would basically be making two totally different games side-by-side. Even if the car and track lists are the same and the menus are the same, they would still have completely unrelated car models and track models, and possible different physics models, not to mention different numbers of cars on track at once. If they're going to have to basically do the entire thing from scratch for two platforms, they might just as well be two totally different games.

More GT5 content, horray. Can't wait to get another slow butt GT5 car with Nissan stickers slapped on it. And the seasonals. Nothing more then time trial challenges with moving road blocks? Bring 'em on!

I have this thing called a racing bug, and it needs satisfying, something GT5 cannot do anymore. GT6 takes too long I will have moved on to somewhere else.

And GT5 wasn't released until 4 years after PS3's launch. But you seem so confident GT6 will arrive 12 months after PS4 launch with enormous content, few bugs, and amazing graphics? I highly doubt that.

How is that a good thing?

Racing is racing. GT is a racing game. Unless you want GT to go the route of other games, I really do not see any distinctly new games modes that can be added, only improvement to what we already have.

Well I am sorry you suffer from such a bug. If being forced to play other games is the only side effect, then I think you will be ok.

What makes me so confident. Most of GT5's current content is portable to GT6 on the PS4. Car models being the most obvious. Tracks and at the very least track data is portable. The jump from GT4 to GT5 from a technical and work standpoint was huge (PS3 development, online, high res models, etc). The jump from GT5 to GT6 (PS4) will not be as large. I also feel the time GT5 took to come out was skewed by the development hell PD went through (pressure from SCE, PS3 being PITA to develop for, no clear vision of what the final game would be like (GTHD, GT5p, GT5... all completely different).

I firmly believe, and the rest of the world is free to disagree, that GT6 on the PS4 is the best option for everyone. Even if it means waiting. Honestly, are we not battle hardened to waiting at this point?

It certainly sounds like its a PS4 title. His answer to platform just reeks of "I know the platform but the platform hasn't been announced yet"

As for tracks, i'm hoping for more real world tracks. Dont get me wrong, PD's fictional tracks are miles better than any other developer out there, they just all feel out of place in a game striving for realism.

Now if only we could get some tracks from the past. Well, when I mean past, I meant pre-Hermann Tilke..

Back