OUCH! Nissan Designer Calls Out GM

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 100 comments
  • 4,235 views
Omnis
Performance does not come down to taste, sir. Are you going to say, "Oh, I taste that the civic over there can beat that Enzo." No. You're not.

Looks come down to taste, but I am talking about the car as a whole. Price, Performance, Looks, and Longevity.

OMFG, who said about performance? I thought we were talking about designs here, hello?? No one is more ignorant than you, dude. I said, a few posts back, that I DIDNT WANT TO BE INVOLVED IN AN ARGUMENT CUZ I HAD TOO MUCH OF THEM!!! Jesus Christ, help me. Please. Read all posts throughly and actually understand what I'm saying.

Oh yeah, the Civic cant beat an Enzo? My brother's friend's cousin dropped a Accord V6 in to a '99 Civic, RWD and nitro, everything stripped out? It does 0-60 in less than 3.5, thats for sure. As I said in other threads, Ferraris, Lambos and other "supercar" marques are way overrated.

Anyways, back on topic, the G35 looks like a half-mutated cousin of 350Z with over-futuristic body. That front end kills me. The rear is no better. The whole Infiniti line is just crap (in my opininon), literally. QX56, anyone?
 
GT4_Rule
Anyways, back on topic, the G35 looks like a half-mutated cousin of 350Z with over-futuristic body. That front end kills me. The rear is no better. The whole Infiniti line is just crap (in my opininon), literally. QX56, anyone?
G35's ugly, huh? Wow. :lol:

Anyways, you mentioned QX56 as a example of how crappy Infiniti cars are. So, is that "literally" or "in your opinion"? :D Also, IMO, QX56 is the only "crap" in the Infiniti lineup.
 
a6m5
G35's ugly, huh? Wow. :lol:

Anyways, you mentioned QX56 as a example of how crappy Infiniti cars are. So, is that "literally" or "in your opinion"? :D Also, IMO, QX56 is the only "crap" in the Infiniti lineup.

lol

Maybe I went over the edge with saying "crap" but still, Id prefer a Lexus over Infiniti. They simply have better style.

The "crap" in Infiniti line (styling-wise) - QX56, G35, M45 (rear), and Q45 (bland)
 
we can laugh and cry about nissans styling till the cows come home. but in the end, nissan is making a profit. GM is not. that says that on some level nissans products are appealing enough for them to make a profit off them. we cant say the same about GM can we? after all, how many more cars does GM sell vs nissan in north america?

hint, its easily 3- 1 if not more.

as for the whole platform sharing thing, its pretty common these days. smart companies arent just putting on a different badge and hubcaps and then trying to convince the pundits that its a different car.


hondas accord platform has myriad variants; pilot, odyssey, ridgeline, accord, tsx, tl, cl, mdx, and i wouldnt be suprised if the rl is also spun off that platform. yet noone is lambasting them.

failure to recognise the profit potential of a single verstile platform instead of four is a sign of folly in this discussion.
 
neanderthal
failure to recognise the profit potential of a single verstile platform instead of four is a sign of folly in this discussion.
When it's done right, it does work out real well. You are right about that. 👍
 
GT4_Rule
OMFG, who said about performance? I thought we were talking about designs here, hello?? No one is more ignorant than you, dude. I said, a few posts back, that I DIDNT WANT TO BE INVOLVED IN AN ARGUMENT CUZ I HAD TOO MUCH OF THEM!!! Jesus Christ, help me. Please. Read all posts throughly and actually understand what I'm saying.

Oh yeah, the Civic cant beat an Enzo? My brother's friend's cousin dropped a Accord V6 in to a '99 Civic, RWD and nitro, everything stripped out? It does 0-60 in less than 3.5, thats for sure. As I said in other threads, Ferraris, Lambos and other "supercar" marques are way overrated.

Anyways, back on topic, the G35 looks like a half-mutated cousin of 350Z with over-futuristic body. That front end kills me. The rear is no better. The whole Infiniti line is just crap (in my opininon), literally. QX56, anyone?

The thread is about GM in general, started by a designer's statement about GM as a whole, not just their designs.

I know you're talking about designs. That's all you seem to talk about and/or are concerned with.

Anyway, it is you, sir, who does not understand what I'm saying.
 
neanderthal
hondas accord platform has myriad variants; pilot, odyssey, ridgeline, accord, tsx, tl, cl, mdx, and i wouldnt be suprised if the rl is also spun off that platform. yet noone is lambasting them.

I do hope that you realise that not all of the vehicles you mention are directly related to the Accord.

The current Odyssey, Pilot, and Ridgeline are all based off of the same North Amreican light-truck platform, and all share the same engines and transmissions. Although the origional Odyssey did share it's platform with the Accord, the USDM model changed that in 1999 with it's re-design. Similarly, the Acura MDX is also based on the Odyssey's platform, as will it's upcomming replacement a few years down the road.

As for the others, as far as I can tell they are related to the Accord's baisic structure, but are very different from the USDM Accord thus making them seem like different vehicles. The TL is still Accord-based to this day, and the TSX (otherwise known as the Accord to the rest of the world) is a smaller sportier version of the othewise enlarged USDM Accord model.

However, I do not belive the RL shares any of it's bits and pieces with the Accord. Being that the models are assembeled in Japan, and not in Ohio (like the Accord and TSX), I conclude they arent directly related.
 
as far as i know the honda accord platform still underpins all the honda trucks except the CRV which is underpinned by the civic.

im being very careful to use the word platform instead of others because i know that the platform is nothing but the bare- bones building block of the car. honda deliberately planned a versatile platform when designing theirs. GM uses the word architecture.

i could be wrong.
 
Omnis
The thread is about GM in general, started by a designer's statement about GM as a whole, not just their designs.

I know you're talking about designs. That's all you seem to talk about and/or are concerned with.

Anyway, it is you, sir, who does not understand what I'm saying.

........:rolleyes:

How about, you look at the title of the thread?

Then you will notice that it says, "OUCH! Nissan Designer Calls Out GM"

Omnis
Exactly, Wolfe. I'm talking about the entire car, but GT4_Rule seems to only be concerned with damn looks

There's one quote that shows you dont understand the thread title.

Omnis
You're mad saying the M45 and STS are a draw. M wins by a landslide.

That shows that you can't take an opinion of others; yeah, I was mad :rolleyes: how can you tell by just looking at your monitor? Im amazed.

Omnis
Those cars I linked to were very similarly equipped. The M45 is still way cheaper, and has all the tech-goodies and everything.

On paper, the M45 is better. That's what I'm saying. I haven't been inside the STS, so I can't comment on that. I love the M45 from the inside out, though. I'm also not saying that it's aesthetically perfect, but at least it's a bit more unique.

That argument was totally off the mark; we weren't talking about which car is better performing or better equipped, we're talking about the design here. The sheetmetal.
 
Omnis: Keep in mind that your opinion of the M45 is just that, an opinion. There are going to be plenty of people who love the car (like you) and dont care much for the car (like GT4_Rule).

Let me explain my reasoning for calling the two a tie:
Although both cars are designed and built to compete in the same class, both take very different approaches to the way the car was designed both on the outside, and mechanically speaking.

-Cadillac STS: The styling of the car follows the in-house design theme "art and science" that has been changing the brand since the late 1990s. Although it has not been widely accepted by everyone, I think it is safe to say that it is a pretty good looking car by days end, and gets its point across. The car was not meant to be as sexy as the M45, much more utilitarian similar to the designs that have been on the German models (of which Cadillac has made it's primary targets) of the past few years. Cadillac kept in mind that older folks are still going to be buying Cadillacs, but at the same time they wanted to attract younger people that often flock to Lexus and BMW for their new ride. They made a compromise, struck a balance, and came out great in the end.

-Infiniti M45: This is a sexy car, and it does a great job of following Infiniti's new obsession with making everything look like a sportscar. The lines and porportions are just right, the look is very clean, and is very daring when compared to the Caddy, BMW, and Mercedes offerings. I would dare to say that only the new Lexus GS compares in outrageously good looks, but these designs are meant to appeal to younger people looking for a nice ride.

- Conclusion: I gave the two a tie because they focus in on their respective target markets while competing in the same class, and thus they must be reguarded almost as completely different types of cars. The STS does a great job of finding a good balance between the new-age Cadillac and the Cadillac your Grandparents grew up with. On the other hand, the new M45 completely outclasses it's predecessor, and ups the ante in the design game, but almost too much. If the Cadillac is too boring, the M45 is too outrageous, and thus they cancel eachother out in terms of design. As sid the Sloth would say, "They complete eachother."

As far as price and performance goes, it is also a matter of what model you are refering to, and what market you are talking about. At $60K, you can check every option box with the M45 Sport, but fully optioning an STS Premium Luxury Sport will run you just shy of $64,000. Performance differences are somewhat slim, but keep in mind that both cars are designed for different types of buyers in the same category.

If I had the cash, I'd probably end up with the Cadillac. Mechanically speaking, it will last longer (the Infiniti 4.5L V8 has been known to have head and other oil problems in the past), and would be vastly more comfortable when just driving around town. The resale value may not be as great as what can be matched with the Infiniti, but, who cares? The Caddy fits my tastes much better than the M45, but it might not with others... Again, its just my opinion.
 
Great explanation YSSMAN 👍 clears up some confusion around here. Now I know why you tied those two cars, and Im perfectly okay with that. Great explanation and thanks for that!
 
Back