OUCH! Nissan Designer Calls Out GM

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 100 comments
  • 4,235 views
No a6m5, I was talking about the newest version Quest. I too thought I would have liked it once I saw it, but in person, the design is rather crazy. I do know that for the 2006 model year, Nissan had said that there were going to be slight changes on the design of the Quest to make it less edgy, but when compared to the rather clean-looking designs of the Sienna and Odyssey, the Quest is just too far fetched.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that most Mommies and Daddies looking to buy a new minivan arent looking to buy the next spaceship to take them to planet Poon. They would probably prefer to blend in with their neighbors Accords, Caravans, Tahoes, etc. just like anything else. I'm sure there are also plenty of parents who wish to do the exact opposite, and by all means do so, as the Quest would be van of choise in this situation.

Shal we do a quick comparison of the major minivan powers here in the US?
Nissan Quest:

Toyota Sienna:

Honda Odyssey:

Kia Sedona:

Hyundai Entourage:

Dodge Caravan:

Saturn Relay:

Mazda MPV:


...And as a semi-van, the Mazda5:


My vote goes to the Mazda5 and MPV for the best looking overall, but thats just my opinion. If I was looking to buy a new van, chances are I would be looking at the Hyundai Entourage very closely. I had a pretty good encounter with one at the Chicago Auto Show, and I came away thuroughly impressed with not only the new van, but the entire Hyundai lineup. The styling is a bit progressive, but not so much so as the Quest, but enough to make it different.
 
MPV and the 5 definitely wins the styling category. 👍 Kudos to the Mazda design team.
 
YSSMAN
No a6m5, I was talking about the newest version Quest.
I know, it was a joke. Good job on the pics, btw. I would say the Mazda MPV would be a strong contender, but is one size smaller. 5 is not even a real minivan. It's kinda like the Japanese Honda Odyssey and the first American Odyssey.
honda-odyssey-003.jpg
 
BlazinXtreme
I don't think Nissan had any right to call GM out, look at Nissans cars, besides the Infiniti line and the 350Z I think they are average. Now someone like BMW, Mercedes, etc. calling GM out would be understandable.

Wait a sec. pal, those American Nissan's aren't like the Sunny's or anything.
 
Well, he's definately got the right to say that about GM... anyone has the right to IMO, its common knowledge GM's current cars ain't super inspired in general.

At least Nissan goes with a few more futuristic-leading design ideas like the new Skyline (seen it !?) and Z (very attractive car!).
 
Pink_the_Floyd
Wait a sec. pal, those American Nissan's aren't like the Sunny's or anything.

How I would I be able to compare something I don't ever see? I can't. Plus GM is mostly an American company so I was assuming it was Nissan of America that was calling GM out. And if that's the case I still stick by my statement. I think Nissans aren't anything special in the design department.
 
If design and looks are the problem with GM cars, then who or what can they look to in order to get people excited about GM cars on the bases of looks and styling?
 
GM needs to find more of the same kind of people who designed the Caddy line, the Saturn Sky, and the Corvette. They'll be in business then.
 
Funny, I think that GM has some of the more interesting designs out there, while a lot of Nissans have very generic styling....

Sexy/Daring GM design (recent):




...among other stuff that has already been mentioned (Vette, Solstice, XLR, other Caddys) and upcoming stunners (Camaro)...

And, oddly, with regards to the minivan discussion above, I find the Caravan to be the most externally appealing design... :odd:
 
GT4_Rule
Whos the one that kept going even after I said it all comes down to taste....?:rolleyes:

Arguments doesnt happen just because one side is yapping. It happens because the starter and the receiver are both yapping at each other. I wont say who started this or who was responsible.

Performance does not come down to taste, sir. Are you going to say, "Oh, I taste that the civic over there can beat that Enzo." No. You're not.

Looks come down to taste, but I am talking about the car as a whole. Price, Performance, Looks, and Longevity.


BlazinXtreme
GM needs to find more of the same kind of people who designed the Caddy line, the Saturn Sky, and the Corvette. They'll be in business then.

If they did that, all of their cars would probably look even more the same. :lol:

skip0110
Funny, I think that GM has some of the more interesting designs out there, while a lot of Nissans have very generic styling....

Sexy/Daring GM design (recent):




...among other stuff that has already been mentioned (Vette, Solstice, XLR, other Caddys) and upcoming stunners (Camaro)...

And, oddly, with regards to the minivan discussion above, I find the Caravan to be the most externally appealing design... :odd:

Those are the oddities, but remember that a lot of them aren't new, and they are just a small few in the face of GM's vast line of bland uniformity.
 
If they did that, all of their cars would probably look even more the same.

But at least they'd all look good. GM doesn't make ugly cars, just uneventful cars.
 
BlazinXtreme
But at least they'd all look good. GM doesn't make ugly cars, just uneventful cars.

Agreed. They might look better, anyway... don't know about good.
 
I think the Saturn Sky is one of the best looking cars I've ever seen, if it wasn't so incrediably impractical I would get one in a heart beat. But just something about a 2 seat roadster doesn't scream..."Buy Me!"
 
BlazinXtreme
GM doesn't make ugly cars, just uneventful cars.

Yes yes

260667.jpg
 
The Aztek was a joke, however it was different I guess. I think it's one of those vehicles that are way ahead of it's time.
 
skip0110

What? No one said Nissan doesn't make any ugly vehicles, even though I don't mind the Micra.
 
Uneventful? Unoriginal? Boring? Are we talking about GM, cause the only company I see that fits those descriptions is Infinit. It has a boring, over-used, played out platform... they have a gussied up 350Z. And I mean, that's ALL they have. :rolleyes:

Boring... unoriginal... lmao. Come on guys... it's GM. They're a worldwide company, owning hundereds of well thought out models. There can be no comparison here. That guy was simply being arrogant. If the 350Z never existed, Infiniti would still be at square one making these boring ass look'in cars like these:

i301.jpg

g201.jpg


I mean come on... they make the Buick line look like a Matrix movie. I even creamed my pants reading a microeconomics essay after looking at those two cars because I was so desperate. Infiniti is way overrated.
 
VIPERGTSR01
What? No one said Nissan doesn't make any ugly vehicles, even though I don't mind the Micra.
Well, it's kind of a case of the pot calling the kettle black...

The G35 is super-sexy, and a lot of older Nissans/Datsuns are cool, as well as a few we don't get in the US, but they have their own fair share of boring stuff...
 
skip0110
Well, it's kind of a case of the pot calling the kettle black...

No not really, no one here has said Nissan doesnt make any ugly vehicles at all, but someone said "GM doesn't make ugly cars", so I pointed out an example. You pointed out a Nissan example just to get 'revenge' :lol:
 
FAOLIU05
Uneventful? Unoriginal? Boring? Are we talking about GM, cause the only company I see that fits those descriptions is Infinit. It has a boring, over-used, played out platform... they have a gussied up 350Z. And I mean, that's ALL they have. :rolleyes:
I thought GM was the one that is the most famous for putting different bodies on the "played out platform". Lot of times just using different names & badges. If Skyline is "gussied up" 350Z, I guess either Camaro or Firebird was not an original car either? :confused:

FAOLIU05
Boring... unoriginal... lmao. Come on guys... it's GM. They're a worldwide company, owning hundereds of well thought out models. There can be no comparison here. That guy was simply being arrogant.
Yeah! no comparison here, GM is the bestest!........... This thread is starting to turn into the PS3 vs. Xbox 360 thread or something. :D

FAOLIU05
If the 350Z never existed, Infiniti would still be at square one making these boring ass look'in cars like these:
OK, but you are talking about "If" that doesn't exist and cars that's been discontinued, so I'm not really convinced by the point you make here. Sorry.

FAOLIU05
I mean come on... they make the Buick line look like a Matrix movie. I even creamed my pants reading a microeconomics essay after looking at those two cars because I was so desperate. Infiniti is way overrated.
I didn't even know Infiniti was that highly rated! Cool! You really need to drive a Buick or watch the Matrix movie again though. That's a bit of stretch.
 
But Nissan told GM they made ugly cars...I think that's were skip is coming from.
 
BlazinXtreme
But Nissan told GM they made ugly cars...I think that's were skip is coming from.
You know, I just read the original quote from the article again. He says nothing about GM's car designs. I think I need to learn to read again(you too, blazin). :ouch:
 
BlazinXtreme
But Nissan told GM they made ugly cars...I think that's were skip is coming from.
Yeah, pretty much I was, but like a6m5 said, after re-reading the quote, I guess that's just the direction the thread took, and gave me the impression thats what the original quote said...
 
FAOLIU05
Uneventful? Unoriginal? Boring? Are we talking about GM, cause the only company I see that fits those descriptions is Infinit. It has a boring, over-used, played out platform... they have a gussied up 350Z. And I mean, that's ALL they have. :rolleyes:

Wow, and GM doesn't overuse platforms?

Like I said earlier the Nissan FM platform made made from scratch to be a multiple car platform, so cars like G35, Fuga etc are not 'gussied up' 350Z's.

In the same way GM is going to use the upcoming Zeta platform, they made it, it will get used heavly. Just look at the Omega platfrom, wow Holden really thrashed that out so much so every new Holden was just getting boring, same old thing.

a6m5
He says nothing about GM's car designs. I think I need to learn to read again(you too, blazin). :ouch:
skip0110
Yeah, pretty much I was, but like a6m5 said, after re-reading the quote, I guess that's just the direction the thread took, and gave me the impression thats what the original quote said...


Haha, I think as soon as GM enthusists see "Nissan Calls Out GM" then all the anti Nissan comes out without even reading it properly.
 
I just read the first page again. It was me and Max DC. Yes, we ASSumed. Sorry!
 
a6m5
I thought GM was the one that is the most famous for putting different bodies on the "played out platform". Lot of times just using different names & badges. If Skyline is "gussied up" 350Z, I guess either Camaro or Firebird was not an original car either?

Yes, unfortunatley, GM is notorious for their badge engineering that often creates vehicles that are often not needed in any part of the GM lineup. Recently, the Pontiac Montana SV6 found that out, as production will be ending at the end of the year. I hear that the Buick Terrazza will be meeting it's maker soon as well, along with the possibility of a few other models doing the same.

But, the problem is, that GM just does not do badge engineering the right way anymore. Back in the 1960s, widely considered the golden-age of GM, they could easily build several models off of one platform, and nobody would know the difference, because all of the cars were different. Take the GM A-Body, which underpinned the Chevrolet Chevelle/Malibu, Chevrolet Corvair, Pontiac Tempest/GTO, Buick Special/GS, Oldsmobile Cutlass, along with other varients of wagons, etc. But, every one of those cars were completely different inside and out, and no one had a problem with it.

About the Camaro/Firebird: Neither were origional cars back in 1967. Both were based off of bits and pieces from the Chevy Nova of the time, but all three remained very different cars by the time all three were on the road.

Nissan is just as guilty of overusing the FM platform, as well as the new Altima platform in their lineup. The FM can be found in everything from the G35/Skyline, 350Z, FX, and M cars... The Altima's platform can be found under the Maxima and Murano as well. Even the Titan's platform is used in the new truck lineup, just they are scaled down just a bit.
 
YSSMAN
Nissan is just as guilty of overusing the FM platform, as well as the new Altima platform in their lineup. The FM can be found in everything from the G35/Skyline, 350Z, FX, and M cars... The Altima's platform can be found under the Maxima and Murano as well. Even the Titan's platform is used in the new truck lineup, just they are scaled down just a bit.
I know Nissan was pretty broke when they (re)designed the Altima, but damn. :lol:
 
YSSMAN
But, the problem is, that GM just does not do badge engineering the right way anymore. Back in the 1960s, widely considered the golden-age of GM, they could easily build several models off of one platform, and nobody would know the difference, because all of the cars were different. Take the GM A-Body, which underpinned the Chevrolet Chevelle/Malibu, Chevrolet Corvair, Pontiac Tempest/GTO, Buick Special/GS, Oldsmobile Cutlass, along with other varients of wagons, etc. But, every one of those cars were completely different inside and out, and no one had a problem with it.

Yeah I agree that was fine, they were quite different cars and everyone was happy. Now days when I see a new Holden coming on the market I search through GM's world line up and find the car that it was rebadged from. Example of this is the new Holden SUV that is coming out.


YSSMAN
Nissan is just as guilty of overusing the FM platform, as well as the new Altima platform in their lineup. The FM can be found in everything from the G35/Skyline, 350Z, FX, and M cars... The Altima's platform can be found under the Maxima and Murano as well. Even the Titan's platform is used in the new truck lineup, just they are scaled down just a bit.

Yes Nissan doe's extensively use the FM platform can't deny it, but like you noted about the 60's GM cars the Nissan that use the same platforms vary allot, example is 350Z compared to Fuga or Altima compared to Murano or Maxima etc.
 
Back