Our First Extended Look at Bathurst in GT Sport

This looks very good despite the contrast harshness on trees in the distance. The shadowing on them still looks excessive and they appear too dark. The Replay is looking really fantastic though. I am still waiting to see some Le Mans action...

The sound of the Nissan though is pretty poor and the gear-changes are atrocious. If a real car sounded like that when changing it would be called in for fear of damaging the gearbox even more. The AI seem much approved too which was great to see.

I am still not hyped for GT Sport though. In some ways it has brought the series forward, with it's improved AI and far better sound, but feels like a step backwards with the lack of dynamic time and weather. This time round it leaves me quite cold, which is all the more frustrating as I want to try the Livery Editor and am unlikely to buy GTS given my current feelings for it.

Last edited:
Just waiting for this game to come around so I can buy a PS4 Pro. Haven't played a GT game in well over a year but I'm liking what I see here. Can't wait to take some laps across the mountain.

Still not sure about the sounds tho.

Starting to drink the Kool Aid and see the difference in sounds between GT games and its contemporaries. Whereas PCars sounds are bombastic, GTSport (while not 'vacuum-esque') are sterile. They're not bad, but lack depth. And the gear change clunking will get old quickly. The best vehicle sounds in my opinion (while not perfect) go to Codemasters on DiRT Rally.

Really liking how the game looks. It's gorgeous! And the AI looks like a challenge for once in GT.

But why on the in-car shots does is sound like there's a man in the gearbox with a sledgehammer? :lol:
GT3 cars actually do sound like that when changing gears, they wouldn't put it in there if it didn't. Yes regular cars like the Subarus and Evo LE that are in the game do not sound like that.

These are real GT3 GTR race cars with the gear wine and clunk of the gears shifting. If it gets old that just means you should stick with the stock cars. Unless you want to finally realized that GT Sports sounds are as authentic as they come minus the tires ( tires do sound close to that when cornering but not all cars tired sound exactly the same.) The bashing is getting old honestly.

GT3 cars actually do sound like that when changing gears, they wouldn't put it in there if it didn't. Yes regular cars like the Subarus and Evo LE that are in the game do not sound like that.

I was poking fun at PD. I knew there was a clunk from the gearbox, I thought it sounded like they over exaggerated it in the demo. But after watch the onboard clips you posted... Damn. That's pretty accurate from PD 👍

Last edited:

These are real GT3 GTR race cars with the gear wine and clunk of the gears shifting. If it gets old that just means you should stick with the stock cars. Unless you want to finally realized that GT Sports sounds are as authentic as they come minus the tires ( tires do sound close to that when cornering but not all cars tired sound exactly the same.) The bashing is getting old honestly.

I agree to an extent. The transmission whine is good, but the gearshift clunk is way overdone compared to the two RL videos, and there is almost no engine noise in the GTS onboard clip compared to the RL videos. The bashing might be getting old, but PD has brought that on themselves for the last decade and a half or so. And why shouldn't we expect better? The sounds are much better than GT6 sure, but as @cjr3559 indicated, they still sound sterile and lack depth.

FYI, I've already pre-ordered GTS and am excited for it, but the sounds still need improvement, and I think most anyone willing to be honest enough would agree on this.

EDIT: As a general rule I use the sounds (especially in-car) of Assetto Corsa as a baseline, as they are, for my money, the best I've heard so far.

Last edited:
I agree to an extent. The transmission whine is good, but the gearshift clunk is way overdone compared to the two RL videos, and there is almost no engine noise in the GTS onboard clip compared to the RL videos. The bashing might be getting old, but PD has brought that on themselves for the last decade and a half or so. And why shouldn't we expect better? The sounds are much better than GT6 sure, but as @cjr3559 indicated, they still sound sterile and lack depth.

FYI, I've already pre-ordered GTS and am excited for it, but the sounds still need improvement, and I think most anyone willing to be honest enough would agree on this.
You have to also think PD is doing sound as if you're in the car, not hearing it from a camera, so there will be a difference in what sounds are more pronounced. With V6 engines you don't always hear the engine as much as the gear whine, I've seen some videos where this is true, but the Mercedes GTS should definitely have engine noise over gear whine. But the sounds of Forza is over aggressive and is not a real representation of RL sounds. Also if you're wearing a helmet it's ever more "sterile". I see great improvement and some of the cars sound better than the competition and some don't.

No bashing here, just making some comparisons. I've got 1800+ hours logged on GT6, so if anyone likes the franchise it's me. But I will say however, playing only one driving game for the past 4 years made me near sighted. I'll absolutely get GTSport and will probably play the heck out of it, but compared to some other titles the sounds are just ok. A definite improvement, but nothing to get all that excited about.

Also, most of my time on GT6 was with road cars anyway. So I'll likely not use the race cars much. So clunk away!

....Wow. Just wow. Frankly, I'm not too concerned about the game's graphics, but the sounds in the replays sure have taken a big step forward compared to the last time I watched a GT:S video. Nice. Keep them coming, boys. Keep them coming.

The track looks sweet!

I would be more concerned with the lack of in-car engine noise, road noise, wind noise and tire sound. GT is so sterile it would turn me off it.

It is a shame that the Japan boys have never fixed that.

Project Cars is perhaps too over the top but I would rather it that way than the other way.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed that some of the issues at the track from GT6 still exist. Clearly they surveyed the track on a regular weekday and not during a race weekend so there are missing brake markers and the tyre bundle that juts out at the exit of Forrest's Elbow still appears to exist.

I can understand why they didn't update the advertising graphics (although they did seem to tinker with some GT logos and pasting other logos where they didn't exist previously), but a shame they couldn't have updated the run-offs which were introduced in 2013.

As I said last week, track graphically looks great but shame that a few niggling issues remain - it appears that no real updates have been added to the track

Back