Out of the Shadows: Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross Road Test Review

Some pics I made =)

gPkkHtc2Ro0.jpg

41uYycxWCo8.jpg

mhPeBaFKD04.jpg

yv9LhxCv2OM.jpg

Swn1tWdRE60.jpg

So this is how Mitsu finally dies. :\
Well, Mitsubishi is already dead - it's now part of Nissan and future products will be based on Nissan platforms (starting with the Outlander) - but this car isn't the problem. It's not even a problem - it's a decent shot that isn't quite there with its best products (Outlander PHEV, Shogun) but is well, well ahead of its worst (regular Outlander, ASX and the abysmal Mirage).

The only major issue with it is that it's not really that great to drive (I've driven worse, but it's got a long way to match the SEAT Ateca, Mazda CX-5 and Nissan Qashqai as the best in the class). It could sell quite well, but Mitsubishi has already faded from public consciousness. Honestly, even though I worked for a company that did Mitsubishi's PR (fun fact: I wrote an entire press pack for the Outlander PHEV once, in about two days. That was stressful), it's a brand I forget exists on a pretty regular basis. I don't even know where my nearest Mitsubishi dealership is. I suspect I'm far from alone, and that makes it hard for a car that isn't standout brilliant to make enough of an impact for people to even shortlist it.

"Cars are always getting bigger and heavier anyway, so why shouldn’t the Eclipse now be an SUV?"

This sentence sums up exactly why I hate this decision and my main problem with today's cars.

Just an other small SUV-wannabe. I am definitely hating on Mitsubishi for that. So whatever /shrug

Mitsubishi, bring me a dream
No boring compacts, no SUV's

Make a car for me, and give it two doors
Your dreary lineup could use some more

Mitsubishi, your sales are low
No crossover could climb you out of this hole

Your silly antics make me want to scream
"Mitsubishi, bring me a dream"

Speaking of songs, if you're a bit young to get the reference in the article:

And if you're a bit old to get the other one:

(although the second one is rubbish)

The Eclipse becomes another SUV what the hell??
The market for Grand Am competitors wound down quite a few years ago. It's a hopelessly cynical ploy on Mitsubishi's part to get someone, anyone to go to a Mitsubishi dealer again and I hope on that basis alone it flops; but SUVs are essentially what took the dollars that market segment commanded until a decade ago so a pretend sporty crossover is a logical enough followup to a pretend sporty coupe.

Every generation of Eclipse coupe was pretty rubbish looking anyway, so the move to an SUV actually makes it look well proportioned at last.

And given how bloated the final Galant coupe — sorry, Eclipse — was, this is actually lighter. So really, progress!

Big bump.

In another thread, I mentioned how at my work, many young workers are buying CUVs. Especially, Mitsubishis. I found out why.

There are four new 2021-2022 models in our parking lot. The main reason was due to wait time. Each buyer had Subarus(Foresters and one XV). They wanted to buy Toyotas, but the wait times were six months and more. Plus, the Mitsubishis were less expensive, have longer warranty periods and they were able to buy from the lot straightaway.

I thought the bosses daughter has an Eclipse Cross, which I thought was a different model. Now her brother-in-law(who owned the XV), just bought an eclipse cross as well. That leaves just a few "normal" cars at my work.

Noone wanted to buy anything like a Yaris or Camry or ute. Each person said they wanted the space. I guess more headroom feels less claustrophobic.

For the over 21 to Under 28 year Olds, these are the new Getz, Saxos and Festivas.

Back