Out of the Shadows: Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross Road Test Review

Discussion in 'Cars in General' started by GTPNewsWire, May 14, 2018.

1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

2. unit-one

unit-one

Some pics I made =)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

VXR and Tornado like this.
  3. samdu

samdu

So this is how Mitsu finally dies. :\

SestoScudo and acedition333 like this.
  4. Famine

Famine Administrator

Well, Mitsubishi is already dead - it's now part of Nissan and future products will be based on Nissan platforms (starting with the Outlander) - but this car isn't the problem. It's not even a problem - it's a decent shot that isn't quite there with its best products (Outlander PHEV, Shogun) but is well, well ahead of its worst (regular Outlander, ASX and the abysmal Mirage).

The only major issue with it is that it's not really that great to drive (I've driven worse, but it's got a long way to match the SEAT Ateca, Mazda CX-5 and Nissan Qashqai as the best in the class). It could sell quite well, but Mitsubishi has already faded from public consciousness. Honestly, even though I worked for a company that did Mitsubishi's PR (fun fact: I wrote an entire press pack for the Outlander PHEV once, in about two days. That was stressful), it's a brand I forget exists on a pretty regular basis. I don't even know where my nearest Mitsubishi dealership is. I suspect I'm far from alone, and that makes it hard for a car that isn't standout brilliant to make enough of an impact for people to even shortlist it.

5. Eunos_Cosmo

Eunos_Cosmo

What is Nissan's plan with Mitsubishi exactly? I don't really understand. What value does it bring to Nissan?

6. Famine

Famine Administrator

In a word, PHEV.

Okay, that's an acronym.

TexRex likes this.
  7. Eunos_Cosmo

Eunos_Cosmo

I presume you mean the acquisition of that particular asset from Mitsubishi. I get that and it makes sense. But I mean why continue producing Mitsubishi cars?

8. submaniac93

submaniac93

"Cars are always getting bigger and heavier anyway, so why shouldn’t the Eclipse now be an SUV?"

This sentence sums up exactly why I hate this decision and my main problem with today's cars.

Just an other small SUV-wannabe. I am definitely hating on Mitsubishi for that. So whatever /shrug

9. SestoScudo

SestoScudo

The Eclipse becomes another SUV what the hell??

10. The Chosen One

The Chosen One

Mitsubishi, bring me a dream
    No boring compacts, no SUV's

Make a car for me, and give it two doors
    Your dreary lineup could use some more

Mitsubishi, your sales are low
    No crossover could climb you out of this hole

Your silly antics make me want to scream
    "Mitsubishi, bring me a dream"

submaniac93 and Boxout like this.
  11. Famine

Famine Administrator

Speaking of songs, if you're a bit young to get the reference in the article:

And if you're a bit old to get the other one:

(although the second one is rubbish)

12. Tornado

Tornado

The market for Grand Am competitors wound down quite a few years ago. It's a hopelessly cynical ploy on Mitsubishi's part to get someone, anyone to go to a Mitsubishi dealer again and I hope on that basis alone it flops; but SUVs are essentially what took the dollars that market segment commanded until a decade ago so a pretend sporty crossover is a logical enough followup to a pretend sporty coupe.

13. VXR

VXR

Every generation of Eclipse coupe was pretty rubbish looking anyway, so the move to an SUV actually makes it look well proportioned at last.

14. SlipZtrEm

SlipZtrEm Administrator

And given how bloated the final Galant coupe — sorry, Eclipse — was, this is actually lighter. So really, progress!

VXR likes this.