overlooked muscle cars

  • Thread starter Thread starter MattC
  • 80 comments
  • 4,387 views
menglan
So if chevy had a 305 smallblock (what's going in my biscayne soon) then why do peopke say they made a 302? Do both ford and chevy make 302s?

Both Ford and Chevrolet had 302s, and there was a Chevrolet 305 too.

The Chevy 302 was only available in the Camaro Z/28. It was designed to comply with Trans Am homologation rules, in that the cars had to have engines between 2L and 5L displacement, and a certain number (which I cannot remember whatsoever: a few thousand, or something like that. Not much) had to be produced for and sold to the public.

The 302 was the product of a 327 block with a 283 crank.

The 305 was designed in the '70s, and is basically a 350 with a smaller bore.
 
Pretty much anything with a GS tag is underrated. The Riviera GS, Skylark GS, and so on. Everyone knows what a '70 Chevelle looks like, but comparitively few know about the '70/'71 GS Stage 1.
The 442's were also underrated, especially the '68 &'69 models.
Mid-70's SD455 Firebirds were true standouts compared to the competition. As also mentioned earlier, the Buick GNX is still mainly unknown. I do believe it was one (if not the) of the most powerful cars of the 80's. The '87 had 276hp and gobs of torque ( Around or above 350 lb-ft). I actually cant think of any other production car from the 80's that had more power. Well, the ZR-1 'Vette I guess. But I don't know whether that was introduced in the late 80's or early 90's.
One last addition - The Ford Torino.
 
GNX? Torino? Get out, everybody knows about those.
The GNX is right up there with the 5.0 Mustang for 'fastest quarter mile for the least money'. Of course, as everybody figures that out, they're getting more expensive. And rareish.
And why everybody's heard of the Torino? Well, I'll give you one clue; it rhymes with 'Barsky and Much'.
 
'69-'70 Mercury Cougar Eliminator? '67+ Cougar XR7? Those are my favorites, they are small and nimble for muscle cars, without sacrificing power. Not too sure if they're actually over-looked though.
 
Cool. Thanks Firebird. 👍

There was a 70 Olds 442 floating about my neighborhood not too long ago...
 
slimer90210
Was it a 455 car?


Not sure, It isn't around anymore. It used to be parked on the curb 2 streets down from me, and It would be driven around every once in awhile, and it sounded like music. looked to either be in primer or have very faded blue paint.
 
Emohawk
GNX? Torino? Get out, everybody knows about those.
The GNX is right up there with the 5.0 Mustang for 'fastest quarter mile for the least money'. Of course, as everybody figures that out, they're getting more expensive. And rareish.
And why everybody's heard of the Torino? Well, I'll give you one clue; it rhymes with 'Barsky and Much'.


I was kind of putting the GNX in comparison to the really popular cars of it's era. Well, not popular, but more common and well-known. And I wasn't thinking of the Starsky & Hutch Torinos, but the earlier ones instead. I completely forgot about those S&H cars, partially since I haven't seen the movie.
It also seems to me that the GNX has been getting more and more recognised as time goes by.
 
AMC Matador "X" coupe with 4 bbl 401, one of the hotter cars around in the mid 70s. 1974 Car & Driver best styling winner. 👍

74_Coupe_BW1.gif


74_Coupe_BW2.gif
 
MattC
AMC Matador "X" coupe with 4 bbl 401, one of the hotter cars around in the mid 70s. 1974 Car & Driver best styling winner. 👍

...not much competition in 1974 i guess.
 
MattC
AMC Matador "X" coupe with 4 bbl 401, one of the hotter cars around in the mid 70s. 1974 Car & Driver best styling winner. 👍

74_Coupe_BW2.gif

Nice rear end ornament too....
 
I would have Her as an Ornament, but she's 30 years older now... Poo. :grumpy:
 
I'm sorry, but anything AMC deserved to be overlooked. AMC's look like doney azz.
The Javelin, the Matador, the Eagle, the Grand Wagoneer, the Gremlin, the Marlin, the Concord, the Spirit, the Pacer, the Hornet....Alllll uuggllahh
 
The.... Matador.... AMX..... Javelin..... Ugly?? What? Oh well, you are entitled to your opinion. I Quite like the Matador. Ecxept after the 1974 body style. (or whenever that style changed)
 
I think the beater looks better :scared:
The AMX/2 and AMX/3 were pretty cool. I think they were just concepts though?
I think the Spirit and Eagle were kind of neat too.
 
And don't forget the 1969 Hurst SC/Rambler and 1970 Rebel Machine.

amc-scrambler-1969c.jpg


3000lb curb weight, 390ci single four barrel V8 producing 315hp at 4600rpm and 425lb ft of torque at 3200rpm. With the limited grip afforded to it from E70-14 tires, it still cranked off 14sec 1/4miles.

amc-machine-1970a.jpg


The Rebel Machine, on the other hand, upped the power to 340hp at 5100rpm and 430lb ft of torque at 3600rpm. It was a touch heavier because of the new Rebel body, and the upped power and torque meant that the rear axle hopped violently off the line if you weren't careful.

But it could still rip off potent 14sec e/t's that would embarass 396 Chevelles and 428 Torinos.

The added bonus of the Rebel Machine was that it was available NOT in the traditional American Motors red, white, & blue.


And do I really have to remind all of you that Mark Donohue and George Follmer wheeled Roger Penske and Traco prepped factory AMC Javelins to the 1971 Trans-Am Championship?

transam2.jpg

Javelin_6_2.jpg
 
Hell, if it was good enough for Mark Donohue & Roger Penske, then it's good enough for moi. Matador coupe rocks! 👍

Race_Matador.jpg
 
ya..the '71 dodge demon was overlooked for sure. so much even that i have one in my garage that hasent seen the light of day in about 30 years! (damn u dad :grumpy: ). its a sexy ass car though. wish it was up and runnin but i highly doubt any chance of that happening. 👎 :guilty:

http://www.dodgedart.org/brochure/71dmnad2.jpg

theres hardly any pics of it out there ether!
 
I like the way Dodge ads at that time had the little b/w cartoon, I have a Coronet ad from around the same time with that. 👍

The Merc Cyclone had a cool looking front end, and the Monroe Handler was probably the best looking Mustang II of all. :)

jack_kuepper1.jpg


mh6.jpg
 
Back