Overrated Artists!Music 

• Thread starter Max Powers
  • 200 comments
Zardoz
Scrolled through this so-called thread quickly, and got quite a few pretty good chuckles out of it.

Thanks, kids.

VashTheStampede
And you are not going to contribute to the thread? :grumpy: :indiff: :yuck: :ouch:

My thoughts exactly, don't criticize it unless you are going to add to the discussion, or at least tell us why this "so called thead" is so bad. I don't agree with every opinion on here, and I'm sure not everybody agrees with mine, but I'd like to think that I have a pretty refined taste in music for the most part. I already know you don't agree with my Tom Petty opinion, but you still haven't explained to me what makes Tom Petty any good.

I can't stand it when people judge somebody's musical taste based on their age.

👎

If you consider something a "so-called thread", then you obviously aren't putting it in the highest regard.

Max Powers
If you consider something a "so-called thread", then you obviously aren't putting it in the highest regard.

That is true, yet, who would hold this thread in highest regard? It's about musical tastes where, as it turns out, mine are right and everyone else's is wrong (unless you agree with me.)

speedy_samurai
That is true, yet, who would hold this thread in highest regard? It's about musical tastes where, as it turns out, mine are right and everyone else's is wrong (unless you agree with me.)

I'll level with you there, I definitely didn't make this thread so that everybody agreed, but rather I hoped for some intelligent debate on the topic. Obviously people will never agree on everything when it comes to music.

exigeracer
Dude, I'm not going to give anthing to this post because too much of it ai senselessly attacking general public and nobody in this thread. Have you read the whole thing? Linkin Park and Blink 182 are not getting defended, and The Beatles are getting defended. What thread have you been reading?

I've been reading this one... There are several people defending the likes of LP, and the mention of Blink 182 in this thread as an over rated band fits the topic, does it not? There were several mentions of U2 and the Beatles as being over rated... Perhaps some have defended them, I'm doing the same. This was not meant as an attack at any one person... But all of the artistd I named or made reference too are over rated in my eyes... and apparently those of others.

You are attacking the mainstream pop-listening public. Go rant about it elsewhere, because I don't think anybody here really cares or falls into that category (who are the Pinheads?).

Apparently you fit into this category and cared enough to make a post about it to retort it, so I'm sorry if I've offended you... You'll realize what music is in another couple of years, once the haze of radio influence has worn off and all of the music of your youth is lost in the vast waste basket it belongs in... Also several people have agreed with me so far on the points I've made... The Pinheads were a punkish band from the 90s... Also check out Hardcore Punk at Wikipedia for more "real" punk bands...

This demo tape stuff? Prove it. Find me a demo tape from a pop-punk band that has released more than 4 records. Prove it.

And I find a tape... then what? Mail it to you? How will that proove anything. Suffice it to say that I've been rather close to the industry for a long long time, with people who have actuely made records. Roadies that have toured with various acts... You don't have to believe me... But the best example of this, which is not limited to pop-punk (apparently your favorite kind of music), would be Nickelback. Four albums then a best of... All of the songs on said "best of" album all sound the same... It's all about money now... And, I should have also included remixes and cover tunes as another way these kind of bands stretch their careers out...

Lester Bangs
You cannot make friends with the rock stars. That's what's important. If you're a rock journalist. First, you will never get paid much. But you will get free records from the record company. And they'll buy you drinks, you'll meet girls, they'll try to fly you places for free, offer you drugs and I know... It sounds great. But they are not your friends. These are people who want you to write sanctimonious stories about the genius of the rock stars, and they will ruin rock and roll and strangle everything we love about it. And then it becomes nothing but an industry of... cool.

This is more about being a rock critic, but it also applies to the industry itself. In this case "cool" means image, product, and money... Think about it... I'm not a record exec. Is doing this the way I described going to make them money? Of course... Do you think they don't want to make money? Another good example of what I'm talking about would be Tool's "Hooker With a Penis". Listen to the lyrics of that song, ask your mom first, as I don't want to get blamed for the curse words and stuff in there... But it sends a strong message about the industry today...

Canadian Speed
Unless you're a music student, if you're under 18, your opinion is tainted by the media and you have no idea what real music is, as you're not old enough to have likely heard it. With the odd exception, there has really been nothing realeased into the mainstream in the last 10 years that's going to be worth listening to next year, let alone 10 years from now.

When I was a 5, I thought that "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12" on Sesamie Street was the collest song ever (It's still kind of catchy....) Any how, what I'm saying is that although I found it neat, as I got older I realized that it wasn't great music. It was catchy... But it wasn't great "music".

Canadian Speed
I've been reading this one... There are several people defending the likes of LP, and the mention of Blink 182 in this thread as an over rated band fits the topic, does it not? There were several mentions of U2 and the Beatles as being over rated... Perhaps some have defended them, I'm doing the same. This was not meant as an attack at any one person... But all of the artistd I named or made reference too are over rated in my eyes... and apparently those of others.

The Beatles have been discussed far more than any other band in this thread. Take a look.

Canadian Speed
Apparently you fit into this category and cared enough to make a post about it to retort it, so I'm sorry if I've offended you... You'll realize what music is in another couple of years, once the haze of radio influence has worn off and all of the music of your youth is lost in the vast waste basket it belongs in... Also several people have agreed with me so far on the points I've made... The Pinheads were a punkish band from the 90s... Also check out Hardcore Punk at Wikipedia for more "real" punk bands...

Apparently to who? Your incomplete judgements? Apparently you haven't been reading the thread, because I also stated before that 'to defend does not mean to favor.' It is true and you have made total presumptions. You have offended me, because I know a lot about punk, it's history, its band and styles. You have no idea what kind of music I listen to or what kind, so why are you fitting me into any category? I asked about the Pinheads, because there is another punkrock band from the mid-90s called Pinhead Gunpowder, I was merely questioning any reference between the two.

Don't ever presume so much about someone. You clearly misjudged me and my musical tastes. I do listen to Pennywise often, have seen them live, and Social Distortion is one of my favorite bands. But I find it ironic how people are complaining about talentless powerchord music, when punk is the simplest, most straight-forward form of music ever.

Canadian Speed
And I find a tape... then what? Mail it to you? How will that proove anything. Suffice it to say that I've been rather close to the industry for a long long time, with people who have actuely made records. Roadies that have toured with various acts... You don't have to believe me... But the best example of this, which is not limited to pop-punk (apparently your favorite kind of music), would be Nickelback. Four albums then a best of... All of the songs on said "best of" album all sound the same... It's all about money now... And, I should have also included remixes and cover tunes as another way these kind of bands stretch their careers out...

Don't bother finding a tape. Good complete discographies have demo tape tracklists. Find a list from a demo tape of a band, then compare the tracklist to the next four records from that band and tell me which songs are the same. It's not hard, let's see you do it.

Again with the apparently. You are wrong. Honestly, this whole time I thought you were a lot smarter than that.

Canadian Speed
Unless you're a music student, if you're under 18, your opinion is tainted by the media and you have no idea waht realy music is, as you're not old enough to have likely heard it. With the odd exception, there has really been nothing realeased into the mainstream in the last 10 years that's going to be worth listening to next year, let alone 10 years from now.
Ah, more of the blind "you're too young to have an opinion". Your opinion on music is probably tainted by what was popular around your teenage years. If we had this discussion back in 1992 (when, according to your profile, you were 15), people would be saying the same about you. That's just the way it is.

Also, if we want to analyze music to the nth degree - want to know what music really is? Noise. Everything we hear is noise. Music is just what our brains interpret as "good noise". There is no real and wrong music, therefore age can have no bearing on what music actually is. It's all subjective. :)

(and just FYI, half of my 4000-odd music collection is from 2-3 decades before I was born)

Canadian Speed
Another good example of what I'm talking about would be Tool's "Hooker With a Penis". Listen to the lyrics of that song, ask your mom first, as I don't want to get blamed for the curse words and stuff in there... But it sends a strong message about the industry today...
I don't think the song is about the music industry itself and its current strive to make as much money as possible. It's more about hypocriticism. Blatantly obvious is the the hypocritical kid described at the start of the song. In the first few lyrics the kid is described as wearing name-brand clothes and claiming to be a gangsta, yet calling the band a sellout. When the kid himself has clearly sold out to the mainstream.

The song could also deal with capitalism. That would explain the constant references to "The man". The man is most likely a representation of corporations and capitalism. Capitalism is all about buying and selling, and without either of two it wouldn't exist. So by buying or selling something, you're "the man" (contributing to capitalism). And so is the guy next to you.

"And if I'm the man, then you're the man, and he's the man as well"

So basically, you can't call someone a sellout because you're the buyer.

Zardos
Scrolled through this so-called thread quickly, and got quite a few pretty good chuckles out of it.

Thanks, kids.

I know your opinion is automatically more credible because you're older therefore you listen to older music or whatever, but people were saying the same thing about your taste when you were listening to whatever you were listening to back then. "Important" music doesn't mean I have to like it. "Classic" music doesn't mean I have to like it. And if I say that Tom Petty isn't necessarily God's gift to rock music, my age is irrelevant, because the recordings haven't exactly changed since they were released.

exigeracer
The Beatles have been discussed far more than any other band in this thread. Take a look.

Really... What's your point here? I said it had and that I was also allowed to offer my two cents on the matter as well... Am I not? Also, the only reason they've been mentioned at all was because some one said that were over rates in the first place. If you didn't say that, think that, deffend that don't take that personally... I never said Exigeracer... You're a f**cking morron! Take a breath and repeat after me... Not everything on this forum is dirrected at me (well...er... except this that is[repeat as needed]).

Apparently to who? Your incomplete judgements? Apparently you haven't been reading the thread, because I also stated before that 'to defend does not mean to favor.'

But to attack usuely does...

It is true and you have made total presumptions. You have offended me, because I know a lot about punk, it's history, its band and styles. You have no idea what kind of music I listen to or what kind, so why are you fitting me into any category? [...]You clearly misjudged me and my musical tastes. I do listen to Pennywise often, have seen them live, and Social Distortion is one of my favorite bands [...]Don't ever presume so much about someone.

Well, you're a young male, who listens to punk... That was the presumption I made... You've now just stated so yourself... Therefore my presumption was fairly right, was it, or was it not... I'm not disecting your life here. Just that you like punk... What's the issue here.

But I find it ironic how people are complaining about talentless powerchord music, when punk is the simplest, most straight-forward form of music ever.

Again, what's your point here?

Don't bother finding a tape. Good complete discographies have demo tape tracklists. Find a list from a demo tape of a band, then compare the tracklist to the next four records from that band and tell me which songs are the same. It's not hard, let's see you do it.

Discographies usually pertain to released works... It usually does not pertain to the demo tapes that were first sent into a record company to get a deal... You have "demo tape" and "studio outtake" confused I believe. I would how ever like to get a copy of one of your "great" discograhpies that have the demo tape listings. As you said, it's not that hard, here I go assuming again, but I'd guessing you must have them near you, or can access these lists readily... Can you not?

Again with the apparently. You are wrong. Honestly, this whole time I thought you were a lot smarter than that.

Don't trouble yourself with your opinions of me... I don't trouble myself with your opinions of me, and I'm fine... Further more, just because I disagree with you on a matter of opinion, does not make me or you any less smart. It would be wise for you to realize that before too long or you may miss a lot of great information from people you may not agree with at this time of your life...

Shannon
Ah, more of the blind "you're too young to have an opinion". Your opinion on music is probably tainted by what was popular around your teenage years. If we had this discussion back in 1992 (when, according to your profile, you were 15), people would be saying the same about you. That's just the way it is.

I know where you're comming from... Really, I do, but in the end, my experiences in the radio industry, music industry, education of the subject and general interests/obsession on this subject would indicate, at least to me, that I know more about it (music) then say, a 17 year old kid... Unless he's a music student, which I stated, and has studied the subject or worked in the industry. That's not to say there aren't ANY younger people that don't know what they're talking about... only that they aren't in the majority for that age group. Again as was stated before, not everything in this forum is dirrected at you... If you're not "guilty" (for lack of a better term) don't take it to heart.

Also, if we want to analyze music to the nth degree - want to know what music really is? Noise. Everything we hear is noise. Music is just what our brains interpret as "good noise".

It is noise... More over, it's vibrations set to certain frequencies and rythmes that our ears can dectect. More of the "I'm young and know everything approach", kidding dude...

I don't think the song is about the music industry itself and its current strive to make as much money as possible. It's more about hypocriticism. Blatantly obvious is the the hypocritical kid described at the start of the song. In the first few lyrics the kid is described as wearing name-brand clothes and claiming to be a gangsta, yet calling the band a sellout. When the kid himself has clearly sold out to the mainstream.

The song could also deal with capitalism. That would explain the constant references to "The man". The man is most likely a representation of corporations and capitalism.

So basically, you can't call someone a sellout because you're the buyer.

"All you know about me is what I've sold you [...] I sold out long before you ever even heard my name." He changed to fit an image to sell records that people would buy.

"I sold my soul to make a record [...] And then you bought one." He sold his values/beliefs/morals/artistic integrity and the result was that people liked the product that was made and supported it, and basically now he has to be that way or people won't support him.

"All you read and wear or see and hear on TV is a product begging for your
fat@ss dirty dollar [...] Buy my new record send more money." I could see where the capitalism thing could work itself in here, but as it's a song pertaining to his industry. It relates dirrectly to it. The reading and wearring part is about Tool shirts and products, seeing on TV is videos and interviews that are made to support an image that people will buy. Now that he's given the people what they want at such a high price... Support him.

At any rate, back on topic... Either of you can feel free to PM me is you want to continue this discusison further... If not, back on subject please...

Canadian Speed
Really... What's your point here? I said it had and that I was also allowed to offer my two cents on the matter as well... Am I not? Also, the only reason they've been mentioned at all was because some one said that were over rates in the first place. If you didn't say that, think that, deffend that don't take that personally... I never said Exigeracer... You're a f**cking morron! Take a breath and repeat after me... Not everything on this forum is dirrected at me (well...er... except this that is[repeat as needed]).

You said The Beatles were getting dissed left right and center, while other poppy bands were being defended. I pointed out that you are wrong, becaue The Beatles have been the number one discussed and defended band in this thread. I am not denying your right to post your opinion.

Not everything on this forum is an attack on me, so I don't take everything as an attack on me. You post was making false assumptions of my character. I have the right to defend myself and so I did.

Canadian Speed
Well, you're a young male, who listens to punk... That was the presumption I made... You've now just stated so yourself... Therefore my presumption was fairly right, was it, or was it not... I'm not disecting your life here. Just that you like punk... What's the issue here.

Nope, you're still not right. I don't like many punk bands at all, maybe 5 of the ones I've heard are worth purchasing an album to. Keep guessing what kind of music "I listen to." You'll never be right.

Canadian Speed
Again, what's your point here?

regarding powerchords

I was just touching on the discussion that Shannon and myself were having. I thought you read this thread, no?

Canadian Speed
Discographies usually pertain to released works... It usually does not pertain to the demo tapes that were first sent into a record company to get a deal... You have "demo tape" and "studio outtake" confused I believe. I would how ever like to get a copy of one of your "great" discograhpies that have the demo tape listings. As you said, it's not that hard, here I go assuming again, but I'd guessing you must have them near you, or can access these lists readily... Can you not?

I can and will. Here is a major mainstream band that signed with a major mainstream record label. This is the tape that Rage Against the Machine sent to Atlantic before they had even played a single live show together. They then sold it at shows for 5$. The recording has absolutely nothing to do with Atlantic, including studio location, suggestions or money (even if Atlantic illegally copied it with their name on it).

Demo tape:

Bombtrack
Take The Power Back
Bullet In The Head
Darkness Of Greed
Clear The Lane
Township Rebellion
Know Your Enemy
Mindset's A Threat
Killing In The Name
Autologic
The Narrows
Freedom

Rage Againt the Machine's self-titled debut album released in 1992 on Epic.

Bombtrack
Killing In The Name
Take The Power Back
Settle For Nothing
Bullet In The Head
Know Your Enemy
Wake Up
Fistful Of Steel
Township Rebellion
Freedom

As you can see, the two lists are very similar. The demo tape has 5 tracks which are not found on their next album, nor are they found on any other Rage album, except Darkness of Greed was released on The Crow soundtrack, which wasn't even Epic/Sony, Clear the Lane was a bonus track for the Killing in the Name Single.

This disproves your theory. Call this an exception if you'd like, but I just proved it is possible to find without getting up off my chair. I did my homework for you, it's only courteous to do yours for me. I will be waiting.

Canadian Speed
Don't trouble yourself with your opinions of me... I don't trouble myself with your opinions of me, and I'm fine... Further more, just because I disagree with you on a matter of opinion, does not make me or you any less smart. It would be wise for you to realize that before too long or you may miss a lot of great information from people you may not agree with at this time of your life...

It's not about opinions, you accused me of being into pop-punk in a deliberately offensive manner, and you were wrong. I pointed this out. On this point you were wrong, it is a fact.

PS, please don't ever talk down to me unless I am your child.

Wow, I can't believe how many people are raggning on U2 here (hello, Joshua Tree). And Sheryl Crow? She's not that highly rated and she's phenomenal, especially her early stuff. And she can do it in concert too unlike most bands these days.

Ok that being said, the following bands are extremely over rated. I know some of you will like these bands, but they simply don't live up to their status.

Rolling Stones
Rush
Jethro Tull
Grateful Dead
Dave Matthews
Smashing Pumpkins
Elvis
Rage Against The Machine
All Rap "music"

exigeracer
You said The Beatles were getting dissed left right and center, while other poppy bands were being defended. I pointed out that you are wrong, becaue The Beatles have been the number one discussed and defended band in this thread. I am not denying your right to post your opinion.

Not everything on this forum is an attack on me, so I don't take everything as an attack on me. You post was making false assumptions of my character. I have the right to defend myself and so I did.

They have been dissed... That was all I said... Im jumped in a defended them, same as others...

Nope, you're still not right. I don't like many punk bands at all, maybe 5 of the ones I've heard are worth purchasing an album to. Keep guessing what kind of music "I listen to." You'll never be right.

So you go to punk concerts. Listen to Pennywise regularly and claim a punk band as one of you favorite bands... Yes... Apparently I'm confused.

I was just touching on the discussion that Shannon and myself were having. I thought you read this thread, no?

Okay, so why use it in a retort to me then..? Following a quote made of my posts... Perhaps it was not dirrected at me... But you could see where the problem is here, I would think.

I can and will. Here is a major mainstream band that signed with a major mainstream record label. This is the tape that Rage Against the Machine sent to Atlantic before they had even played a single live show together. They then sold it at shows for 5$. The recording has absolutely nothing to do with Atlantic, including studio location, suggestions or money (even if Atlantic illegally copied it with their name on it).

Demo tape:

Bombtrack
Take The Power Back
Bullet In The Head
Darkness Of Greed
Clear The Lane
Township Rebellion
Know Your Enemy
Mindset's A Threat
Killing In The Name
Autologic
The Narrows
Freedom

Rage Againt the Machine's self-titled debut album released in 1992 on Epic.

Bombtrack
Killing In The Name
Take The Power Back
Settle For Nothing
Bullet In The Head
Know Your Enemy
Wake Up
Fistful Of Steel
Township Rebellion
Freedom

As you can see, the two lists are very similar. The demo tape has 5 tracks which are not found on their next album, nor are they found on any other Rage album, except Darkness of Greed was released on The Crow soundtrack, which wasn't even Epic/Sony, Clear the Lane was a bonus track for the Killing in the Name Single. This disproves your theory. Call this an exception if you'd like, but I just proved it is possible to find without getting up off my chair. I did my homework for you, it's only courteous to do yours for me. I will be waiting.

Very good find, you do know the difference between and indy album and a demo tape right? Sometimes they are the same. And yes, this falls into an exception. You've exploited it well, and to your advantage... I also mentioned that not all bands have done this, nor have I said that Rage was one of them. You may also note the year of this album and when I said this kind of thing started taking place. You might also want to note the difference between and indy release and a true demo tape... Had they never got picked up by a label, they would have continued doing so... You also do know that most of the bands that do this kind of thing would not release and indy album, nor it's demo tapes to the public for just this reason. Further more, many of these bands are eased through the system... Meaning they weren't really touring all that much before they got a record deal... You know... Got in because of people who know people...

It's not about opinions, you accused me of being into pop-punk in a deliberately offensive manner, and you were wrong. I pointed this out. On this point you were wrong, it is a fact.

I would never single you out, nor made reference to anyone in specificly in an offensive manner for liking pop-punk... I never did either that is, until your reply. You singled me out with your reply to my first post... I only labled you as a punk lover due to your responce and the way it was done with reguard to my general statement. I continue to think that way because of this following statement:

exigeracer
I do listen to Pennywise often, have seen them live, and Social Distortion is one of my favorite bands

Clearly... You don't like punk at all...:dunce: Just for the record Exigeracer does not like punk... Everybody... Everybody!!! He really doesn't like punk at all... It's not what he listens too...

PS, please don't ever talk down to me unless I am your child.

P.S. I'm not your mom and I won't put up with your snot nosed attitude the way she does... Give some respect, get some... Otherwise, reap what you've sown and stop crying about it... Again, please, lets get back on topic...

Danoff
Rolling Stones
Rush
Jethro Tull
Grateful Dead
Dave Matthews
Smashing Pumpkins
Elvis
Rage Against The Machine
All Rap "music"

The Stones... Today, yes, back in the day not really, they were the yang to the Beatles Ying. The bad boys that did just as much to get rock to where it is today as the Beatles did...

Rush... Not my favorites, but musically probably one of the best bands ever... Neil Peart is a drum GOD!

No comment on a couple of the other ones... I'll leave those for the others...

Canadian Speed
Very good find, you do know the difference between and indy album and a demo tape right? Sometimes they are the same. And yes, this falls into an exception. You've exploited it well, and to your advantage... I also mentioned that not all bands have done this, nor have I said that Rage was one of them. You may also note the year of this album and when I said this kind of thing started taking place. You might also want to note the difference between and indy release and a true demo tape... Had they never got picked up by a label, they would have continued doing so... You also do know that most of the bands that do this kind of thing would not release and indy album, nor it's demo tapes to the public for just this reason. Further more, many of these bands are eased through the system... Meaning they weren't really touring all that much before they got a record deal... You know... Got in because of people who know people...

Clearly... You don't like punk at all...:dunce: Just for the record Exigeracer does not like punk... Everybody... Everybody!!! He really doesn't like punk at all... It's not what he listens too...

P.S. I'm not your mom and I won't put up with your snot nosed attitude the way she does... Give some respect, get some... Otherwise, reap what you've sown and stop crying about it... Again, please, lets get back on topic...

This first bit is on topic, so I'll go on.

I proved that it is easy to find demo tape track lists (although this particular one is iffy because its original purpose is questionable: to sell their name to a company or to sell their sound to fans, but going by Rage's track record, I'd say the first one is right). Now please prove your statement of record companies abusing their artists in the described manner. I took the time because you asked me, now please do it for me.

I don't like punk. There are, say, 5 bands that I like and maybe 2 that I listen to on a regular basis. I haven't been to a concert in a while. The last show I saw was a band called Harvest Moon, which was mostly Neil Young covers. Not my cup of tea either, but I still enjoyed it. I aoid people who want to classify my musical tastes. I listen to so much and like so much to classify antying anywhere. There is no boundaries or borders to what I like. I just know what I don't like.

I haven't cried about anything. I have defended myself, nothing more. I don't like it when people disrespect me by talking to me like a child, like you have done. I asked you not to in the politest manner possible. I don't see where you're drawing up these conclusions about my character. PM me.

exigeracer
I proved that it is easy to find demo tape track lists (although this particular one is iffy because its original purpose is questionable: to sell their name to a company or to sell their sound to fans, but going by Rage's track record, I'd say the first one is right). Now please prove your statement of record companies abusing their artists in the described manner. I took the time because you asked me, now please do it for me.

As for the demo tape thing... I'm working on it... I'm looking through my records for a Nickelback demo tape on a discography, but I haven't really found ANY pure demo tapes listed anywhere on any discography that I have or found. Were it not for the fact that I know people, have worked in, and am still a huge fan and student of the industry. I wouldn't have ever said any of this stuff, but as you can imagine, it's not something that they would want people to know... The lack of ANY demo tapes could be used to persuade people to see that fact... It could also be used to show that just because I can't find ANY at all, they still exist, they just aren't as public as people would like to think they are... But I AM on it...

Here are two more demo tapes I came across. I don't listen to either band whatsoever, these were just the more appropriate of the demo tape tracklists I could find.

The first is Blink 182's Flyswatter demo tape recorded in their ex-drummers bedroom:

1) REEBOK COMMERCIAL
2) TIME
3) RED SKIES
4) ALONE
5) POINT OF VIEW
6) MARLBORO MAN
7) THE LONGEST LINE
8) FREAK SCENE

Three of the tracks were recorded on their 1994 album Buddha, while the rest haven't been seen anywhere. Different combination that the Rage demo tape, but still, no proof of one of, if not THE most mainstream pop-punk bands being used by the rcord companies in the manner usggested.

Here's another example, but this one is incomplete. The band is Hard-Fi, and this is their demo tape recorded sometime in 2002.

Living for the weekend
Move on now
Can you help me
Can't get along
Never going to bring me down
I feel it
Unnessesary trouble
Better do better

Two of the tracks are found on their recent release Stars of CCTV. The first single off the CCTV is not found on the dmeo tape. I say incomplete because they only have one album to date. Keep your ears open, maybe we'll see some of these demo-tape trakcs on future albums. Either way, there is no convincing evidence of your theory.

----

Here's an overrated band that I can't really stand: The Strokes. Like most, it all sounds pretty similar and the vocals are really bland. Don't get it...

It took 77 posts for someone to mention Aerosmith. I'm no musician, but every hit song they've made in the past 15 years sounds alike. Every video they make follows the same plot. Coincidence?

exigeracer
Here are two more demo tapes I came across. I don't listen to either band whatsoever, these were just the more appropriate of the demo tape tracklists I could find.

The first is Blink 182's Flyswatter demo tape recorded in their ex-drummers bedroom:

1) REEBOK COMMERCIAL
2) TIME
3) RED SKIES
4) ALONE
5) POINT OF VIEW
6) MARLBORO MAN
7) THE LONGEST LINE
8) FREAK SCENE

Three of the tracks were recorded on their 1994 album Buddha, while the rest haven't been seen anywhere. Different combination that the Rage demo tape, but still, no proof of one of, if not THE most mainstream pop-punk bands being used by the rcord companies in the manner usggested.

Here's another example, but this one is incomplete. The band is Hard-Fi, and this is their demo tape recorded sometime in 2002.

Living for the weekend
Move on now
Can you help me
Can't get along
Never going to bring me down
I feel it
Unnessesary trouble
Better do better

Two of the tracks are found on their recent release Stars of CCTV. The first single off the CCTV is not found on the dmeo tape. I say incomplete because they only have one album to date. Keep your ears open, maybe we'll see some of these demo-tape trakcs on future albums. Either way, there is no convincing evidence of your theory.

Still no luck on my end, where are you finding these from any how? At any rate, just as a side note. It's not abusing a band to make them famous for longer then they should be... Also, as you said before, the Rage album had songs that were realeased after a first album, therefore not all of their songs came out at the same time, giving them new breath at a time when they were perhaps "sagging" musicaly. Thought they were more "honnerable" in doing so, releasing them as singles on soundtracks and so on... We've not seen everything about Hard-Fi yet, so we'll keep watching them, also I've never heard any of the songs on the demo tape. And as for Blink, I'm not sure of any of those songs either, save the three, as I've never heard them before, so I can't say, they may have not simply renamed them... Any how, it was not really punk bands in general that I was saying did this the most... Or that it was limited to them (I said the new punk bands were glorified boy bands)... My main attack was on Nickelcrack, though I did mention punk bands as well, so point to you on that one...

danoff
Wow, I can't believe how many people are raggning on U2 here (hello, Joshua Tree). And Sheryl Crow? She's not that highly rated and she's phenomenal, especially her early stuff. And she can do it in concert too unlike most bands these days.
Joshua Tree sucked. Out loud. And blew at the same time. I've never seen such a pretentious album, except everything U2 did after it.

Sheryl Crow is a victim of her own success - Leaving Las Vegas was quite good. It got some attention, so she polished up the sound and the lyrical content, and then repeated it numerous times, raking in the Grammys and the cash. Lucinda Williams over Sheryl Crow FTW!

Ok that being said, the following bands are extremely over rated. I know some of you will like these bands, but they simply don't live up to their status.

Rolling Stones - 1975 > present, agreed, totally.
Rush - Meh - their best stuff is the stuff that never makes it on to records; the live improv stuff that's like jazz/metal/prog fusion.
Jethro Tull - Disagree.
Grateful Dead - Agree 89%.
Dave Matthews - Agree 237%.
Smashing Pumpkins - Their second album, Siamese Dream, is simply fabulous. Everything else, meh.
Elvis - Agree 23%. You've got to remember he invented half this stuff out of whole cloth, or at least put it together in ways nobody else ever had.
Rage Against The Machine - Music = teh awesomness. Vocals and lyric content = teh suckage.
All Rap "music" - 89% agreed. This is not to condemn all hiphop, because they are not the same. Good hiphop is modern funkadelicness. Bad rap, which is most of it, is the most annoying type of "music" ever recorded, by the most annoying type of "entertainers" ever invented.

Duke
All Rap "music" - 89% agreed. This is not to condemn all hiphop, because they are not the same. Good hiphop is modern funkadelicness. Bad rap, which is most of it, is the most annoying type of "music" ever recorded, by the most annoying type of "entertainers" ever invented.

Agreed, I love hiphop but hate 90% of the music in the genre. The bad ones ruin the image of the entire genre all together. Making it look like image is more important than musical skills.

smellysocks12
Agreed, I love hiphop but hate 90% of the music in the genre. The bad ones ruin the image of the entire genre all together. Making it look like image is more important than musical skills.

That's the industry these days... All show, no go...

Elvis cam at a time where there was nothing else like him in the world, before or since... I'm not a huge fan, but he could sing Contry, Rock n' Roll, Gospel, Blues, Disco-Funk (ish) kind of stuff... To say he's over rated is a really big statement... Only due to the fact that he basically made Rock n' Roll, all be it from ripping off Blues from black musicians, but it's like calling Acid Jazz the same thing a regular Jazz.

U2 do not suck! They've been around for a long time, they've made various albums that have their own sounds and have taken risks with their sounds. Often with great success. Joshua Tree was an amazing album (often sited next to, if not above Sgt. Peppers as one of the most influencail albums of all time). But could you please explain how it was pretentious. I'm trying to see where you're comming from... They are the closest thing to the Beatles that we've seen since their break up.

The Pumpkins are kind of in the middle, while Siamese was a huge success, as was Melancholy, I personaly liked Guish and Pisces a lot more. They didn't sound like anybody else at the time they came out either, but I can see where some people wouldn't dig them that much.

Dave Matthews... Well how can I say this. They are a very complex band with their own sound as well... But Dave, we don't need 5 live albums with no new songs on it, all with basically the same set lists basically played in the same order. That being said Crash and Before These Crowded Streets, as well as Dave and Tim Live at Luthur College is anything but average. I dare you to listen to either of these three albums and call them average... Ask a musician and see what they think... And Listener Supported, their best live album IMO, sounds as though it could have been done in a studio. They're a very tight band and can make some great music when they put their minds to it... Also, if you look at the backgrounds of the musicians in that band, you'll be pretty surprised as to what their backgrounds are and what they bring to the table as musicians...

The Dead... I think they only reason they were popular was becasue of the acid movement they pretty much started in the 60s and apparently their great live shows, though find someone who wasn't "seeing" the music to find out what their live shows were really like. Over rated... Yes, very, unless mushrooms, Acid, PCP, or any other mind altering hallucinogenic drug is your thing...

Rage, were great at the start, then they started to exploit gimmicks in their music and get into trouble with the music business, and eventualy sold out, much to the shagrin of many of their hard core fans... One thing though, all the sounds heard on their albums were made using the instruments they played and enver used any clips or synthizers... They say so on the back the albums jackets any how, though Dave has never really ever recreated any of the album sounds exactly in a live concert...

Jethro Tull... Amazing live. Amazing couple of records spanning many types of music... And for ever remembered as the band that stole a Grammy award from Metallica for best metal/hard rock performance... Since when has the Grammies ever known what the hell they were talking about anyhow... Over rated, perhaps, important to music, no question...

Led Zeppelin is highly overrated, I mean some of their stuff is good but way to many people think they are the greatest ever. They are a fad band in my opinion, you have kids that can play Stairway to Heaven on the gutiar, wear the shirts, and think they are the greatest band ever yet they can't name any of the band members.

The Doors, The Eagles, Hendrix, the Stones, etc. all go along with Led Zeppelin. Fad bands for kids who wished they were in the 70's yet know nothing about the bands.

Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco, All American Rejects, Green Day and other band along those lines...they can't sing worth a damn, quite buying crappy music and maybe it will go away. There are some decent "white boy punk bands" out there, its just these ones give the rest of em a bad name.

Slipknot, Marilyn Manson, and other like bands. Screaming about sinister things isn't music, it's screaming about sinister things.

50 Cent, Eminem, and other crappy rap artist. No need to explain, you all know.

Tupac, he can't be dead, he keeps making music.

Led Zeppelin, a fad band? That's one of the funniest things I've ever heard. Led Zeppelin is still popular because it's some of the best music ever recorded, not because its fans wished they grew up in a different generation. The beauty of Led Zeppelin is that a generation of teens grew up on it 30 years ago, and current and future generations are still listening to it. I don't know very many people who listen to Led Zeppelin because they can play Stairway to Heaven (probably my least listened to Zeppelin song), and I don't know anybody who doesn't know who Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, and John Bonham are. If you're going to try to call a band as talened and respected as Led Zeppelin overrated, please try to think of a reason that isn't so unbelievably stupid. I mean, I don't expect much from you, but you can do better than that.

It's all a matter of opinion. I think they are a fad band because a majorty of the people I know who are around my age that listen to them, only do it because they are told to by someone. I don't think they are the best band ever, they aren't bad and I enjoy some of their music, but to say they have some of the best music ever in my opinion isn't true. It all depends on what you like.

Canadian Speed
Still no luck on my end, where are you finding these from any how? At any rate, just as a side note. It's not abusing a band to make them famous for longer then they should be... Also, as you said before, the Rage album had songs that were realeased after a first album, therefore not all of their songs came out at the same time, giving them new breath at a time when they were perhaps "sagging" musicaly. Thought they were more "honnerable" in doing so, releasing them as singles on soundtracks and so on... We've not seen everything about Hard-Fi yet, so we'll keep watching them, also I've never heard any of the songs on the demo tape. And as for Blink, I'm not sure of any of those songs either, save the three, as I've never heard them before, so I can't say, they may have not simply renamed them... Any how, it was not really punk bands in general that I was saying did this the most... Or that it was limited to them (I said the new punk bands were glorified boy bands)... My main attack was on Nickelcrack, though I did mention punk bands as well, so point to you on that one...

I found the Rage one while looking through some Rage sites. I was considering doing a research project on how much people hated Rage Against the Machine (the gov't's "Songs that are against the American way" list included every Rage song), and I remembered seeing the demo tape. I have also recently aquired some of the missing tracks that were never otherwise released. Interesting sound to many of them.

The Blink 182 and Hardfi tapes I found on eBay. Keep hunting, some of the more in-depth fan sites will have info on anything recorded by their bands.

Another band that is getting far more attention than their musical ability shows: Modest Mouse Oh God, I shiver when I htink of the musical content of their songs...

I can't stand listening to Modest Mouse.

I also forgot about Flogging Molly's, they aren't that good.

For the record, it’s people like Blazin’ that make people like me have a bad opinion of the younger people and how bad the music listening world has gotten… You’re either a troll who’s trolling this thread, or you’ve "blazed" yourself retarded (not to insult any special needs kids out there).

P.S. Tupac is dead and was reincarnated as Ja Rule… LOL!!!

A troll :lol:. Look at my post count...it's 11,000 something. I'm no troll.

But everyone likes different kinds of music, me, personally enjoy bands like the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Metallica (somewhat), Van Halen, and some others. I don't expect everyone to like them and I know more then one person who doesn't like Van Halen.

And the Blazin' thing is not because I'm a druggie, it's because I drive a Blazer.

Latest Posts

Back