Overrated Artists!Music 

• Thread starter Max Powers
  • 200 comments
What's post numbers got to do with not being a troll... Perhaps you're an active one... Just saying...

Any how, back on subject... one name... Celine Dion... She's praised so highly... Personally I find her nasal ranting to be equal to that of a crow or the sound fingers make on a black board... She's got a huge range... But she's no better then half of the female vocalists out there today... I just don't get why she's so highly praised, that's all...

Bette Midler is a kin to Celine... I have no clue as to what she was ever so huge for... Wind Beneath My Wings... Alright, nice song, did you write it? Nope... So really, what's so good about that...

Oh dear... not this I have 11,000 posts/yeah but you told a lie stuff again... :rolleyes: Can't we all just get along?

Anyways,

How are Led Zeppelin, Cream, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, and all of the early Classic rock groups Fad Bands? Sure, I might not be a diehard fan that can tell someone John Bonham's astrological sign, but I can tell someone that I respect their music. Their music is blues rock/hard rock at its purest. I didn't buy Wheels of Fire and Disraeli Gears because someone told me that they were good, I bought them because I heard White Room and Spoonful on the radio, and thought that their sound was amazing. Sure, I may be a backwards looking 17 year old kid who prefers old chevys to new Toyotas and prefers Classic Rock to almost anything current, but I'm not that way to look cool to friends or adults, I choose to listen to those bands because I appreciate their creative ability. (If I think about it, some of their creative abilities must have been enhanced by the myriad of drugs they used...:scared: )

I honestly thing that Green Day is totally overrated. It's not a new mention in this thread, but seriously. There are kids forming anti-US opinions because of Billie Joe's interviews on MTV. Plus, I think that their songs are getting really annoying. Sure, I thought that Dookie was the shizznit when it came out, but since then, they've just been meh.

Black Eyed peas - Sure, where is the love wasn't bad, but what in the world are they thinking? My humps has to be the single most retarded song that humankind has ever written.

On a side note, I also think that every popular hip-hop/r&b song that's been the radio is overrated. Here's why: most of them can't seem to write their own background Beat. Vanilla Ice ripped off Queen, OutKast ripped off dick Dale & the Del-Tones (Misirlou), and P. whateverhisnameisnow ripped off Led Zeppelin. (yes, I am aware that he somehow got jimmy's approval.) THere's even a hip-hop band called Dirty South that rips off and Defiles Lynyrd Synyrd songs. I know it's not a majority of hip-hop/r&b, but this "trend" is sickening me.

The only reason I'm saying this is I see more kids who wear Zeppelin shirts and only know 1 or 2 of their songs and consider them their favorite band. I dislike that so many people do that, it's fine to really like the band but at least know the songs, have boughten the CD's, and know the band memebers.

BlazinXtreme
The only reason I'm saying this is I see more kids who wear Zeppelin shirts and only know 1 or 2 of their songs and consider them their favorite band. I dislike that so many people do that, it's fine to really like the band but at least know the songs, have boughten the CD's, and know the band memebers.

So basically you admit that you know nothing about the band... And you've come to that conclusion because the two songs you've heard from them you didn't like and therefore anyone that has their shirts must love those two songs, so it's a fad band...

By the way a fad is a noun meaning a fashion that is taken up with great enthusiasm for a brief period of time; a craze.

I think that thirty plus years of fans doesn't really count as a fad... Nor would I call 9, "top 10" albums on both side of the ocean a small feat. Their lowest selling album only sold a million copies (Presence) and their best selling album (IV) only sold 23 million... Clearly, overrated.

Did I say I knew anything about the band? No not at all, I said I enjoy listening to a few songs of their here and there. I couldn't begin to tell you all of the band memebers, nor all their albums, nor more then 10 of their songs. And it would be a fad band if you only like it because someone else likes it, therefore a fad.

Give it a few years and they will be on to another band that they will worship, I swear every kid who gets a gutiar thinks he will be the next memeber of Zepplin. Does this make the band bad? No, but I still think they are over rated.

A fad is anything that cathces on and is gone within a few years. iPods, pink shirts, emo, etc. they are all fads. If you like em that's fine.

And many of you think Green Day is over rated but they've sold quite a few albums, you yourself said Celine Dion was over rated but she's sold a ton of albums and she's been rewards with an Oscar for My Heart Will Go On. Just because they sell well doesn't mean they are not over rated.

It's the fact that they keep selling year after year that makes it so impressive... And indicates that it's not a fad... Perhaps that shirts, but the music is not a fad, nor the band... Zeppelin IV was on the US chart for 259 weeks... That's just under 5 years, straight!!! A fad song would be "Who Let the Dogs Out" or "the Macarena", which I promissed myself I would never EVER mention again... Thanks for making me break this solomn vow... lol.

And Celine won and award or two in her day, but she now finds herself in the artist graveyard... A.k.a. Las Vegas. And the only things that keep selling of hers are her compilations...

I still believe they are a fad amoung many teenagers though, maybe not so much around the late 20's to early 50's crowd.

BlazinXtreme
I think they are a fad band because a majorty of the people I know who are around my age that listen to them, only do it because they are told to by someone.
What's the alternative...Having Pepsi or Time Warner tell me they're great bands?

Led Zeppelin, The Doors, and Jimi Hendrix are a fad? That's like saying democracy's a fad, too. It'll just go away...

People jump on to fads because they don't think for themselves, or they can make money off of it.

BlazinXtreme
Led Zeppelin is highly overrated, I mean some of their stuff is good but way to many people think they are the greatest ever. They are a fad band in my opinion, you have kids that can play Stairway to Heaven on the gutiar, wear the shirts, and think they are the greatest band ever yet they can't name any of the band members.

The Doors, The Eagles, Hendrix, the Stones, etc. all go along with Led Zeppelin. Fad bands for kids who wished they were in the 70's yet know nothing about the bands.

Led Zeppelin overrated? I haven't heard ANYONE play Stairway in a long, long time (they decide to play Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana) or Seven Nation Army (The White Stripes), which are both extremely overrated and overplayed songs. And I like the 'Stripes) so hearing a kid play Stairway is a relief, it shows that great bands like them haven't gone forgotten. I fail to see how they're a fad too, since they HAVE been selling records well since 1968 and earlier this year Led Zeppelin IV actually re-entered the UK top 40 (it peaked at 27/28). People still like 'em. As for kids just wearing shirts (Tour Of America 77 right?) blame MTV for that (or to be more precise, Ashlee Simpson, who claims to be a 'huge Zeppelin fan'). But maybe kids who wear those shirts are simply new to the band, so they can't exactly name all their songs in one go? (which is mainly why Stairway is the first song that pops up in their head. It was one of Zeppelin's finest hours).

Yeah, Led Zeppelin is my favourite band.

Like I said, it's cool to like them, but you said it yourself, blame MTV...which is pretty much the cause of a lot of f'ed up youth.

But with Stairway to Heaven, there is a sign in my local gutiar store (Gutiar Center) that says "No Playing Stairway to Heaven". It's pretty funny, but the only reason it's there is because of it being overplayed.

But I'd rather have a kid play Stairway To Heaven than listen to idiots crank up 100w amps and play Smells Like Teen Spirit or Seven Nation Army, thinking that they're playing at Madison Square Garden.

As to Guitar Centre and the 'No Stairway' rule, have you seen Wayne's World by any chance? :D

Actually no I've never seen Wayne's World, but I assume there is the same thing in that movie. Next time I'm there I'll have to snag a picture, it's really quite assuming and they do enforce the rule.

BlazinXtreme
Led Zeppelin is highly overrated, I mean some of their stuff is good but way to many people think they are the greatest ever. They are a fad band in my opinion, you have kids that can play Stairway to Heaven on the gutiar, wear the shirts, and think they are the greatest band ever yet they can't name any of the band members.

The Doors, The Eagles, Hendrix, the Stones, etc. all go along with Led Zeppelin. Fad bands for kids who wished they were in the 70's yet know nothing about the bands.

*Goes to puke in envelope and send it overseas. :crazy: *
They aren't fad bands. And anyway, it goes to show how much you know about them. Its a typical thought that someone uneducated about Jimi Hendrix or The Doors would say they were from the seventies. Jimi Hendrix died in 1970 of a sleeping pill overdose. The Doors did have popularity during the 70's, but Jim Morrison Died in 1971. As for the Eagles, you can't help but like them. I like them, but I can't see how their a fad because very few of my peers even know they exist, let alone any of their songs.

I never once said I knew about them, I don't care for the Doors or Hendrix to be honest.

I might agree with him about some kids these days wearing The Who t-shirts, while having barely listened to them, just because they think it will make them look cool. This isn't to say that The Who isn't great, of course.

HACKr
As for the Eagles, you can't help but like them. I like them, but I can't see how their a fad because very few of my peers even know they exist, let alone any of their songs.

Apparently they are way past their expiry date. I don't think I've ever seen a newspaper concert review that didn't like the show, but our major one gave the Eagles a crummy review the last time they were in town.

exigeracer
Nirvana. Big time. Pretty much every kid born after 1985 I know went through a Nirvana phase, whatever the length or intensity of it. I look back at any of their songs and the only thing I can pull out as being interesting whatsoever is how Kobain sings in 'Hairspray Queen'. Try it: it's hard.

fcukin Amen.

exigeracer
Apparently they are way past their expiry date. I don't think I've ever seen a newspaper concert review that didn't like the show, but our major one gave the Eagles a crummy review the last time they were in town.

Hmm... I do agree with peoply when they say bands like the 'Stones or something like them are overrated now, but not in the past. I mean, their vocals aren't that great anymore, and they are all full of wrinkles. I like the songs, but now the band is just too old.

BlazinXtreme
50 Cent, Eminem, and other crappy rap artist. No need to explain, you all know.

Eminem's first 2 albums were great though, you cannot deny that unless you dont listen to rap at all.. some random songs of his are great as well. After that he went completely **** though, and hired some ****ty artists around himself.

Duke
Joshua Tree sucked. Out loud. And blew at the same time. I've never seen such a pretentious album, except everything U2 did after it.

That's pretty rough. I mean politically I hate Bono, but I really enjoyed Joshua Tree and lots of select tracks from their other stuff. The thing about U2 is that they follow the formula for getting me to love a song. Here it is:

Start slow
Build by layering
Build
Build
Climax (don't forget the lyrics, so many bands climax in their songs without actual words)
Die

Duke
Sheryl Crow is a victim of her own success - Leaving Las Vegas was quite good. It got some attention, so she polished up the sound and the lyrical content, and then repeated it numerous times, raking in the Grammys and the cash. Lucinda Williams over Sheryl Crow FTW!

Sheryl's first album "Tuesday Night Music Club" had lots of good tracks. Here are the ones I dig on:

Run Baby
Leaving Las Vegas
Strong Enough
Can't Cry
Solidify
No One Said It Would Be Easy
What I Can Do For You

That leaves 3 songs out of the whole album that I didn't care for. And it wasn't just that album, she came back with more good music (though it wasn't quite as good). She can also put on a good live show.

Duke
Rolling Stones - 1975 > present, agreed, totally.
Rush - Meh - their best stuff is the stuff that never makes it on to records; the live improv stuff that's like jazz/metal/prog fusion.
Jethro Tull - Disagree.
Grateful Dead - Agree 89%.
Dave Matthews - Agree 237%.
Smashing Pumpkins - Their second album, Siamese Dream, is simply fabulous. Everything else, meh.
Elvis - Agree 23%. You've got to remember he invented half this stuff out of whole cloth, or at least put it together in ways nobody else ever had.
Rage Against The Machine - Music = teh awesomness. Vocals and lyric content = teh suckage.
All Rap "music" - 89% agreed. This is not to condemn all hiphop, because they are not the same. Good hiphop is modern funkadelicness. Bad rap, which is most of it, is the most annoying type of "music" ever recorded, by the most annoying type of "entertainers" ever invented.

I can go along with you on Rage Against the machine, but the rest of it I'm sticking to my guns. Elvis, regardless of the fact that he was a pioneer, made music that was quite poor. Chuck Berry (sp?), had all the same excuses as Elvis, but he made good music (what little of it I'm familiar with).

Two words. Van Halen. Yes, Eddie Van Halen was a great guitar band. But at the end of the day. they're just a hair metal band. And another i can think of is system of a down. some kids seem to love anything and everything they do, and its not the best like some people think.

smellysocks12
Eminem's first 2 albums were great though, you cannot deny that unless you dont listen to rap at all.. some random songs of his are great as well. After that he went completely **** though, and hired some ****ty artists around himself.

No Eminem has always been bad in my opinion

Gee... I didn't know easy-to-play music is not great just because it was easy to play.....

I wouldn't put any punk band as over-rated since compared to the main stream it is under-rated (or properly-rated)... Die hard fans will always over rate their favorite band... but thats no reason to say that the band is over rated because of such people... It should be compared to how the mainstream portrays those artists...

Most pop-stars for instance, are over-rated... Their music has shown no change and their lyrics are plain... Their music dissappears in years and are never significant ever again... The mainstream usually never accepts their music ever again poking fun of it most of the time... That is Fad music...

Well seeing that many of the bands mentioned above are enduring for quite a while... they aren't quite a fad... besides though some may be over-rated to a certain degree I wouldn't say they are totally irrelevant either... The bands who influenced the history of music (in this case Rock) shouldn't be shrugged away because their music isn't as technically impressive anymore...

As I said before, fans will defend their favorites perhaps over-rating them a bit... that is to be expected. Besides when people have a positive emotion about the music they have listened to, they will enjoy it no matter what expert says about it... quite frankly I could careless about which band is more technically superior... which seems to be the discussion here...

If your not technically advanced enough so that a kid would be able to play your music, you are over-rated? What kind of thinking is that? I don't care if any kid can play Nirvana's S L Teen Spirit... Doesn't mean its a horrible song... I still like the damn song... I don't care if Ramones stuff is easy as blowing ur nose, cause its still good... I don't think Stair Way to Heaven is over-rated cause I've already heard 5 guys play it in my beginners guitar class...

I like Rancid which gets that 'Mainstreamish, The Clash wannabes that are over-hyped' view from hardcore punkers... I enjoy some Greenday albums (Warning is my favorite) now and then... I like Audioslave (have the first)... I like Led (best of)... AC/DC (3 CDs)... I have the first Strokes album... First White Stripes... Newest Weezer...I personally enjoy the Accoustic in New York, Nirvana album a lot...

Over-rated bands are those new 'boy' bands that stupid 'rejects' listen to... Pah! they are just pop listeners in denial that listen to the next thing closest to pop... Their albums will be forgotten in a couple years and will be an insignificant blotch in the history of rock...

BlazinXtreme
Not to offend you or anything, but this coming from a guy with West Coast Choppers paraphenalia... but no bike?

I think I own like 2 west coast chopper shirts, but there is a big difference between owning a 12 dollar CD, and a 80,000 dollar bike. I'm a fan of West Coast Choppers and could name you several of their bike and quite of bit of information about the shop and the history.

Canadian Speed
Rage, were great at the start, then they started to exploit gimmicks in their music and get into trouble with the music business, and eventualy sold out, much to the shagrin of many of their hard core fans... One thing though, all the sounds heard on their albums were made using the instruments they played and enver used any clips or synthizers... They say so on the back the albums jackets any how, though Dave has never really ever recreated any of the album sounds exactly in a live concert...

I missed this the first time around. I don't think that Rage ever sold out. Looking at their records, Battle of LA had a more mainstream sound to it, but they insisted this was a tool to reach a broader audience, which they succeeded in doing judging by the popularity of the album. The music itself didn't change at all, even the tracks that got radio play were just as hard and heavy as tracks off of Self-Titled, not to mention the solid b-sides (Ashes in the Fall is one of my fave Rage songs). If it was because of the money then they wouldn't follow up a successful album with a mediocre cover album, would they?!?! Again, it was politics since the beginning for Zack, he quit and went off to Harvard and the rest of them took a deep breath and relaxed (you want a hardcore fan shagrin, -> Audioslave)

Who is Dave?

Have you seen their live performances? All of the sounds and sounds are there, although the notes are different from improvisation in fills and solos, but it's all there. Tom Morello perfectly describes all of the techniques involved with his soloing as well. I've witnessed many of his techniques (not played by him, mind you) often played on basic systems without his magical toggle switch.

The only time I can imagine they messed up the solo was when Morello played Sleep Now in the Fire at the DNC conference in 2000, where he didn't get enough feedback to get those bends and notes in.

danoff
Wow, I can't believe how many people are raggning on U2 here (hello, Joshua Tree). And Sheryl Crow? She's not that highly rated and she's phenomenal, especially her early stuff. And she can do it in concert too unlike most bands these days.

Ok that being said, the following bands are extremely over rated. I know some of you will like these bands, but they simply don't live up to their status.

Rolling Stones

Wow.

I will give you the rest of the bands you list..but as for the stones...your dead wrong.

I think another member said it well, they were the dark side of the beatles...
If your going to compare them in light and dark...

Also, I dont think that nirvana is overrated. Although, I didnt listen to them alot, but have heard all their albums, I appreciated their music, and it had a huge effect on others, regardless. I thank god everyday that I didnt listen to **** like whitesnake and poison. Bands such as nirvana were the reason for their destruction. I was always happy digging through my fathers albums or listening to stone temple pilots, black crowes and pearl jam.

The sad part is, most of the kids that were around my age in school are now all the dumbasses making EMO music. I really hate that notion.

Latest Posts

Back