Pad users, do you plan on sticking with it?

• Thread starter Wardez
  • 46 comments

GT Sport plans so far?

• Sticking with DS4

Votes: 51 63.0%
  • Plan to upgrade to wheel

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Will play seriously with both

Votes: 15 18.5%

• Total voters

Wardez

Not Hotdog
Staff Emeritus
United States
Las Vegas UTC-8
Wardez
Wardez
Feel free to chime in even if you don't have the Beta btw.

The DS4 is definitely a great update for those that prefer pads. It allows players to be more gradual with their inputs. The triggers are much better suited toward that. The analogue sticks are still the same but reports are that there's an element of help newly added to the series that makes things smoother there as well.

It seems like pad users will be more competitive in Gran Turismo from now on, which I welcome. There's something that everyone that plans on playing seriously should consider though: live tournaments will have every player using a wheel. No way around that.
So the question then evolves into whether you're serious enough about competing you may need to get up to speed on a wheel sooner rather than later.

Add poll option please - I plan on using both.

So far I've only used controller. My G25 is at my moms house and I don't want to spend money making it work for PS4. So I'm planning on getting a wheel setup, I just need to research which one I'll get. Casual races with controller and Sport races with wheel, that's how I think I'll play when the game comes out. It feels nice on the DS4, but I stilll want to use a wheel from time to time.

Good idea. It comes down to which you plan on using seriously most though. I should've written the second option as "Upgrading to wheel for serious play."

I always played with both, but since I only have a G25 and I don't have spare 300€ for T300 I'll be sticking with DS4 which I have no problem playing with, comparable with hi-speed wheel users so I'm fine.

If somebody struggles with playing with DS4, try setting Active Steering on Mild. It makes cars much less twitchy

I don't have a PS4, but I'm sticking with a controller if/when I get a PS4.
I dont like to sweat and be tired when playing games as wheel users often reports after longer online races.

Last edited:
I don't have a PS4, but I'm sticking with a controller if/when I get a PS4. I dont like to sweat when playing games as wheel users often notice after 1 hr race.
That usually happens when playing with a controller too though ;)

Simply sticking with a controller. I had a wheel on PS2 and 3 bit am not going for a wheel on ps4. Don't play as often and setting up a wheel everytime I want to play is a hassle. I just want to chill ik front of my tv, feet on the table an race a bit.

I want to keep it with the control but i have much problems getting used to it it is very hard to correct the car and that ia realy frustrating me now with group3 on the Nordschleife its imposaible for me to do a clean lap there with this strange feeling i have with the controls.... that is a shame because i liked GT allot for that.

Is Forza the new game to go for with controller?

I want to keep it with the control but i have much problems getting used to it it is very hard to correct the car and that ia realy frustrating me now with group3 on the Nordschleife its imposaible for me to do a clean lap there with this strange feeling i have with the controls.... that is a shame because i liked GT allot for that.

Is Forza the new game to go for with controller?
Again, try with active steering on and adjust LSD

Yes, because there's no deal between Logitech, Sony and Microsoft to make the G920/G29 compatible on all platforms. It's basically the same wheel!
With the lack of GT on PS4 I had to move to Xbox One with FM5/6, PCars and AC...using a G920.

Yes, because there's no deal between Logitech, Sony and Microsoft to make the G920/G29 compatible on all platforms. It's basically the same wheel!
With the lack of GT on PS4 I had to move to Xbox One with FM5/6, PCars and AC...using a G920.
Same with their headsets.. :ouch:

Feel free to chime in even if you don't have the Beta btw.

The DS4 is definitely a great update for those that prefer pads. It allows players to be more gradual with their inputs. The triggers are much better suited toward that. The analogue sticks are still the same but reports are that there's an element of help newly added to the series that makes things smoother there as well.

It seems like pad users will be more competitive in Gran Turismo from now on, which I welcome. There's something that everyone that plans on playing seriously should consider though: live tournaments will have every player using a wheel. No way around that.
So the question then evolves into whether you're serious enough about competing you may need to get up to speed on a wheel sooner rather than later.

The pad definitely felt great but there might be something odd going on...

Yesterday I tried my wheel (T500) and without much effort blitz my lap times which was really odd as I am seldom faster with my wheel. I then went back to my DS4 yet no matter how hard I tried I was around 10 seconds off pace. I then tried my Nacon and got times similar to my T500, my conclusion is that there is something funky going on with wireless controllers vs wired (the nacon is wired). I have tried again this morning with similar results

Update: Borrowed another controller and re-tested to find that my DS4 is playing up

Last edited:
After playing a decent amount of the beta this weekend and this morning I feel like the only real disadvantage I have is with the gears.

GTS really gives pad users ALOT more control over the car and allows you get so much more out of the car.

To back this up, generally I'm about 4seconds off the fastest lap times at the moment, which for a pad user using autogears and who's not really that quick, it's probably the closest I've come

Last edited:
@Argon hmmm. did you report the problem?

Not yet, wanted to make sure it wasn't me being dumb so am having another go with a different DS4 just to rule out any issue with the one I was using. Will report if I come to the same conclusion though

Likely you could get your wheel to work with PS4 using this setup or one of the similar options that are out there.

In case you are interested.

Thank you! I will check it out. Does it work better than cronusmax?
Cronusmax is one of the more plug and play options I was referencing. Your setup should be straightforward, so either should work.

The parts for a GIMX were half the price of the other options for me, but you have to use your PC with it every time, not just for initial setup.

Daughter (~6y) loves DS4 steering using motion detection and enough aids. I can drive my daily marathon on motion steering without any aids, but no way planning to race online with DS4, I'm just too bad driver with it.

I'll highly likely stick with my DS2 with adapter even on PS4, don't have problems with GT6 driving cars with low grip tires, no assists ( including brake assists ) and high lock LSD :D DS2 > DS4.

I bought a G29 a few days ago but have yet to test it on GT:S. To be honest I think I will stick to the pad for both GT:Sport and FM7 as they are both so far removed from AC and PCars I don't want to learn and adjust between the 4 games. I had a bit of a struggle the first day or two going back to PCars from FM6 on the pad.

When I played GT:S on pad last night, then jumped on AC on the wheel, they feel like two completely different experiences where no bad habits transferred between the two because of the difference in controls. Besides, GT:S and Forza are good games on the pad so, yeah, I think this is the best way for me to enjoy all these games without the frustration of adjusting between the 'simulators' and the other two.

I seriously wanted to buy a wheel but sadly my gaming room felt so cramped atm :(
If I got that sorted out then I might use the DS4 or wheel depending on my mood (whether it for serious driving immersion or just a quick fix for casual escapism)

It will be interesting to see if the "steering lock" phenomenon is fixed in GTS for pad users.

Whenever a high grip, high powered car is used at certain tracks (for example: the long sweeping left at Apricot Hill, the loop turns at Cape Ring) the DS3 users are at a huge disadvantage because the car simply wont turn in as much as wheel users.

If this somehow gets fixed I might continue with the sticks :)

It will be interesting to see if the "steering lock" phenomenon is fixed in GTS for pad users.

Whenever a high grip, high powered car is used at certain tracks (for example: the long sweeping left at Apricot Hill, the loop turns at Cape Ring) the DS3 users are at a huge disadvantage because the car simply wont turn in as much as wheel users.

If this somehow gets fixed I might continue with the sticks :)

I've always wondered if scrubbing the front tires, as you describe, is really faster when you factor in tire wear?

I've always wondered if scrubbing the front tires, as you describe, is really faster when you factor in tire wear?

I race in the SNAIL Spec Series where each race lasts roughly 10 minutes, so tire wear isnt much of a factor for us. When I first joined last year I had no idea about this steering lock, until one day @lllTrick told me that the DS3 wont let the cars wheels rotate as much as a wheel user. Had he not, I still would have no idea this existed and would still be left wondering why cars are passing me by in certain turns going 10mph+ faster.

Back