Panasonic VIERA TC-P50GT25 50-inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV, Black

  • Thread starter Thread starter zqxwjv
  • 15 comments
  • 5,021 views
Messages
221
Messages
zqxvjw
I am considering this for my GT5 driving cockpit. Anyone currently using it with GT5? Is plasma better for gaming than LCD?
 
i have a sony KDL-46NX713 3D tv and i normally dont use the 3D function because in cockpit mode you get quite a bit of overlap on some parts if the car, not sure if you get this with other tvs! and yes i know that you can adjust the settings for it but i cant seem to find a good setting not to mention it take 24mins just to try one setting! they need to sort it out!! but i did download wipeout fury thanks to the welcome back thing and my gooosh! its incredible if you havent already id recommend it!
 
I'm going for a new TV as well, in the next days... either it's a Samsung LED or a Panasonic Plasma! In the end it doesn't matter that much anymore! It used to burn in pictures in plasma tv but not anymore. It is only a question of taste! As plasma normally has deeper/brighter/ stronger colour than LED, that's about what I heard and read.

So, you will be very well served with your choice! I wouldn't buy such a expensive one, though... 2100$ is too much for me and I don't need the newest model on the market!
 
I am considering this for my GT5 driving cockpit. Anyone currently using it with GT5? Is plasma better for gaming than LCD?
You would probably be better served if you asked a mod to move this thread to the Computers and Electronics forum or the Console and PC Gaming.
 
Its all about Pioneers. Split Screen function. TV on one screen, GT5 on the other screen.
 
Its all about Pioneers. Split Screen function. TV on one screen, GT5 on the other screen.

Haha 👍 This works on many Samsung and Panasonic too! Picture in picture! Small picture on bottom left corner a boring football match (soccer for you americans ;)) and GT5 on the rest of the screen!
 
Bye it! Its one of the best in the market! Panasonic is ruling the market (in quality) even better than Sony and Phillips:)!
 
Both CNET and Consumer Reports have said that the Panny isn't the best at displaying a 3D source. It does fine, I'm sure, but as it the bane of all electronics, there's always better. For around the same price point, I'd entertain the thought of looking at a Vizio XVT3D474SV or Samsung PN51D550.
 
Ooh, ooh!

I just bought the aforementioned Samsung PN51D550 last night, $999 at Best Buy, and I love it!

Burn in, I can't answer for. Regarding 1080p 600Hz (yes six hundred!) I can answer! Absolutely no (as in zero, nada, zilch, nothing) motion artifacts!!!! No pixel storms as the camera pans to follow a golf shot down the fairway.

Can't answer about 3D, either, doesn't come with glasses, they are sold separately. Personally not real interested in 3D. Everyone who's tried it in GT5 has come back with "So?" and movie demos I've seen have been the same . . . "So?" Avatar was especially bad. A series of flat spaces one in front of the other: flat background, flat place for other background items that are closer, flat characters a little closer, slightly shaped characters still closer.

So who cares about 3D? It ain't there, yet.

OTOH, Portal 2 on PS3 was gorgeous, even though 3D is not even an option with it.
 
It used to burn in pictures in plasma tv but not anymore.

LCD and PLASMA still have image burn in problems. With every new generation of panels, it just takes longer for the burn in to appear.

Regarding 1080p 600Hz (yes six hundred!) I can answer!

All plasma's have a 600hz subfield as far as I know. It's not the same as refresh rate from what I've read.
 
Thanks for all the feedback everyone :)

I may go with the PN51D550 and SSG-3100GB glasses. Amazon has them for $950 and $46, respectively. Both for substantially less than the Pana TC-P50GT25 TV only.
 
Last edited:
All plasma's have a 600hz subfield as far as I know. It's not the same as refresh rate from what I've read.

It's not the same as refresh rate, which shows as 60Hz when the PS3 goes into 1080p, but it is a measure of response time, from what I understand. Actually, looking at it, there is a response spec of .001 ms, which sounds fast to me.

I don't claim to know what all these things mean, but I do know that the TV shows no motion artifacts at all.
 
LCD and PLASMA still have image burn in problems. With every new generation of panels, it just takes longer for the burn in to appear.

This is true but it takes a hell of alot longer than early models.

I've had my Panny 50 inch V Series for nearly 2 years now.
In that time it's received some massive hidings time wise from GT5 and still not a hint of any burn in.

Cheers Shaun.
 
This is true but it takes a hell of alot longer than early models.

I've had my Panny 50 inch V Series for nearly 2 years now.
In that time it's received some massive hidings time wise from GT5 and still not a hint of any burn in.

Cheers Shaun.

I have an LCD screen that I used mainly as a 2nd laptop screen. Firefox burned into it within a month. It wasn't pretty. Thankfully there are some ways to make it go away with LCDs, kind of like a massage for the screen.
That's my only horror story.
 
This is true but it takes a hell of alot longer than early models.

I've had my Panny 50 inch V Series for nearly 2 years now.
In that time it's received some massive hidings time wise from GT5 and still not a hint of any burn in.

Cheers Shaun.

I have had my 50 inch panny for almost 3 years now, and also not a hint of burn in ever. I have played countless hours of socom with a health bar left on the screen, and had never even so much as left a ghost on the screen for more then a second.

I'm sure burn in could happen, but you would have to try and do it. The TV will shut itself off if the image is paused for to long. I would never let burn in keep me from buying a plasma anymore.

So far I have had 2 plasmas in the last 5 years and they both still work perfect. I have had 3 LCD TV's in the last 3 years and none of them still work. As for LED I haven't took the jump yet, becasue they just don't seem to look as good as the panny plasmas, but then again the showroom floor is no place to judge TV picture quality.
 
I purchased the Samsung PN51D550 51" plasma. GT5 looks fabulous on it, much better than my old Samsung CFL LCD, the difference is like night and day.

Thanks again for all the suggestions above and overall I'm delighted with the purchase. I would definitely recommend this to anyone in the market for a display for a GT5 based racing cockpit.
 
Back