Panther 6 1977

• Thread starter StarLight
  • 18 comments
Portugal
Portugal
vd1xj4.jpg

Another extravagant car, one with six wheels and only two produced from Starlight Garage, enjoy and vote please!

Idea for this car given by Outeke

687atj.jpg

The Panther 6 was an extravagant six-wheel convertible powered by a mid-mounted 8.2 L (500 in Cadillac V8 engine with twin turbochargers. It was produced by Panther in 1977.
Only two cars were ever made (one white, one black), both of which still exist. One is in the Middle East, and the other was shown at the 2008 NEC Classic Car Show by the Panther Car Club.

The six wheel configuration was inspired by the Tyrrell P34. The layout was one pair of rear wheels with 265/50 VR16 tyres and two pairs of steerable front wheels with 205/40 VR13 tyres.

The specification included a detachable hard top and convertible soft top, electronic instruments, air conditioning, an automatic fire extinguisher, electric seats and windows, a telephone and a television set.

Claims for the top speed of this vehicle suggested it was capable of over 200 mph (322 km/h); however, these claims are so far unsubstantiated.

Overview
Manufacturer: Panther Westwinds Ltd
Production: 1977 - 1978 / only 2 produced
Assembly: Weybridge, England
Designer: Robert Jankel

Body and chassis
Body style: 2-door convertible
Layout: RMR layout

Powertrain
Engine: 8.2L Cadillac V8
Transmission: 3-speed automatic

Dimensions
Wheelbase: 105.0 in (2,667 mm)
Length: 192.0 in (4,877 mm)
Width: 80.0 in (2,032 mm)
Height: 48.0 in (1,219 mm)
Curb weight: 2,870 lb (1,302 kg)

035b.jpg

Panther-P6-01.jpg

eclatepanther8.jpg

Panther_Westwinds.jpg

OTHER CLASSIC CARS ARE HERE

Last edited:
Another extravagant car, one with six wheels and only two produced from Starlight Garage, enjoy and vote please!

Idea for this car given by Outeke

The Panther 6 was an extravagant six-wheel convertible powered by a mid-mounted 8.2 L (500 in Cadillac V8 engine with twin turbochargers. It was produced by Panther in 1977.
Only two cars were ever made (one white, one black), both of which still exist. One is in the Middle East, and the other was shown at the 2008 NEC Classic Car Show by the Panther Car Club.

The six wheel configuration was inspired by the Tyrrell P34. The layout was one pair of rear wheels with 265/50 VR16 tyres and two pairs of steerable front wheels with 205/40 VR13 tyres.

The specification included a detachable hard top and convertible soft top, electronic instruments, air conditioning, an automatic fire extinguisher, electric seats and windows, a telephone and a television set.

Claims for the top speed of this vehicle suggested it was capable of over 200 mph (322 km/h); however, these claims are so far unsubstantiated.

Overview
Manufacturer: Panther Westwinds Ltd
Production: 1977 - 1978 / only 2 produced
Assembly: Weybridge, England
Designer: Robert Jankel

Body and chassis
Body style: 2-door convertible
Layout: RMR layout

Powertrain
Engine: 8.2L Cadillac V8
Transmission: 3-speed automatic

Dimensions
Wheelbase: 105.0 in (2,667 mm)
Length: 192.0 in (4,877 mm)
Width: 80.0 in (2,032 mm)
Height: 48.0 in (1,219 mm)
Curb weight: 2,870 lb (1,302 kg)

035b.jpg

Panther-P6-01.jpg

eclatepanther8.jpg

Panther_Westwinds.jpg
:lol: This reminds me of the pink car Parker used to drive Lady Penelope around in that creepy 60's puppet show 'The Thunderbirds'

Sorry Starlight but you have right I don't like it... It's looks strange, has more than four wheels and nah that's not my cup of tea

I wondered when someone was going to post this car!

Some extra information for you - of the two cars produced only one had a turbo engine, for which an output of 600bhp was claimed. Kickdown on the auto box was disabled because Jankel was worried that it could upset mid corner handling. The second car was not turbocharged and therefore produced a woeful 210bhp from its 8,194cc Cadillac engine.

I have been expecting some other Panthers to appear such as the "J72" (a car inspired by the SS100 Jaguar) the Panther Kallista - a quite popular retro style and low cost two seat roadster powered by the 2.8 V6 Ford engine and the Panther Solo a 1.6 Ford Fiesta powered, MR2 style car. None of them were very good, so perhaps it's best if they don't get suggested.

I wondered when someone was going to post this car!

Some extra information for you - of the two cars produced only one had a turbo engine, for which an output of 600bhp was claimed. Kickdown on the auto box was disabled because Jankel was worried that it could upset mid corner handling. The second car was not turbocharged and therefore produced a woeful 210bhp from its 8,194cc Cadillac engine.

I have been expecting some other Panthers to appear such as the "J72" (a car inspired by the SS100 Jaguar) the Panther Kallista - a quite popular retro style and low cost two seat roadster powered by the 2.8 V6 Ford engine and the Panther Solo a 1.6 Ford Fiesta powered, MR2 style car. None of them were very good, so perhaps it's best if they don't get suggested.

Thanks for your information, very appreciated.
:bowdown:

I've seen it in real life, at Villa d'Este. It spent most of the day with a dead battery and when they finally managed to jumpstart it for the pageant, the sound was terribly underwhelming for such a big engine

It is basically a powerboat on wheels, and no they never made a roof for it

Back