Patch 4.0 is released

• Thread starter smilerftm
  • 206 comments

Oh dear...

I can also add that the bit where it said it's fixed brake temps resetting when you pit, while I know people did have this problem, I don't know if it will have been fixed for them. The reason I say this is I never had this problem, my temps were always fine when I'd come out from a pit stop. Now though, brakes are dead cold whenever I pit...

Only tested in Formula A as that's where I'm at in career, and I do 100% distance and AI so my career doesn't progress too quickly lol.

How can someone driving the exact same settings as me have any advantage? Same setup,same car. So everything being equal is not the same playing field, bro puff,puff,pass.
I like getting on the power early in a corner and I've found most of the stock setups don't allow for me to do that, because of the way I use the throttle I suppose. Other people may not drive like me and could find the stock setup handles exactly as they want it, therefore putting them at an advantage in that particular car.

I understand in theory it may seem like everyone is equal but I don't see how it is either. Not saying don't have the option in the game though as the more players the better.

I like getting on the power early in a corner and I've found most of the stock setups don't allow for me to do that, because of the way I use the throttle I suppose. Other people may not drive like me and could find the stock setup handles exactly as they want it, therefore putting them at an advantage in that particular car.

I understand in theory it may seem like everyone is equal but I don't see how it is either. Not saying don't have the option in the game though as the more players the better.

Exactly, the more options that will bring players the better for a lot of reasons. I don't use aids in the game, but I'm glad the options are there. It brings more casual people to the game, who may develop a passion for racing because of it. Not only does that mean more players online, it also means more voices for feedback on the official forum if they wish to join, and more money for SMS to put into development of Pcars 2, since they seem to be putting most of it straight back into number one lol.

And it's not as if the stock setups aren't setups. Someone at SMS or one of the drivers who helped with the game have basically set the car up in some way as they saw fit. If a lobby let someone share their own setup with everyone else there would still be people who couldn't drive as it wouldn't be to their style either.

I can't believe some of the stock tunes are the way they are, for example I took the Lotus 49 out the other night and thought it was horrendous and imagined if the programmer who put that stock tune together could even drive it well himself as I struggled so much.

I'm pretty sure the stock set ups were aimed at pad users. They are shocking with a wheel. I have to make enormous changes to some cars. The 49 is one I found particularly bad too, and I think it's because those cars were built to corner at high slip angles, and the stock tune has so much understeer tuned into it that it makes it feel dead on turn in, and then suddenly snaps into oversteer on exit. Braking stability leaves a lot to be desired too lol.

I never did complain.

Sorry you're right, that was the other guy I was thinking of. You just misunderstood that post. My mistake 👍

In any case, is anyone else getting the brake temp reset bug when you pit? It's happened to me every time I pit since 4.0 came out. I had a 60+ lap race in FA last night which required a lot of stops, and I kept forgetting about it and kept getting caught out at the first turn when I stamped on the brakes and had nothing lol.

Edit: The reason this bug concerns me is my next FA race is Monaco, and having stone cold brakes after each stop will be deadly there :boggled:

Well then don't play in stock rooms!
That's why the options are there. Oh and I'm not complaining. I use a wheel,no aides,blah,blah, blah,blah.

Well then don't play in stock rooms!
That's why the options are there. Oh and I'm not complaining. I use a wheel,no aides,blah,blah, blah,blah.
Yes, kind of obvious that I won't play in stock rooms. Haven't been online for a few months though anyway.

So anyway for those who have the patch, I'm pretty sure you guys can say online is a little better because of that disable collision thing they added if someone is going backwards or just sitting on the track. Right? Just trying to make sure that is working well.

After updating to 4.0 on my ps4 cars no longer have steering wheels or the driver visible in cockpit viev.
Anybody else have the same problem?

After updating to 4.0 on my ps4 cars no longer have steering wheels or the driver visible in cockpit viev.
Anybody else have the same problem?

No but just go into your settings, make sure nothing's changed, and then go back to the track and have another look.

I say this because first time on track after updating I had the racing line on. I went back to the main menu and checked in the settings, and it was still off, so I didn't have to change anything, and I just went back to the track and it was gone lol. So you may not need to actually change anything, just go into the settings to double check and then back into a session and see if it's fixed.

I'm pretty sure the stock set ups were aimed at pad users. They are shocking with a wheel. I have to make enormous changes to some cars. The 49 is one I found particularly bad too, and I think it's because those cars were built to corner at high slip angles, and the stock tune has so much understeer tuned into it that it makes it feel dead on turn in, and then suddenly snaps into oversteer on exit. Braking stability leaves a lot to be desired too lol.

It's odd that they had so much input from various race drivers and yet the setups for most cars are dreadful.

It's odd that they had so much input from various race drivers and yet the setups for most cars are dreadful.
Yes and I'm pretty sure "race drivers" were not using a pad. I'm also pretty sure they probably tested on a PC, not a PS4 or Xbone. Go to YouTube and watch Rene Rast's videos.

Yeah I'd imagine they would have used the driver's input to make the actual physics as good as they could get them. Stuff like the tyre and suspension models. They could have just altered set ups to suit people driving on a pad so that they wouldn't struggle as much out of the box. Most wheel users would be willing to change their set up, where most people wanting plug and play like other console games will be using a pad.

Yes and I'm pretty sure "race drivers" were not using a pad. I'm also pretty sure they probably tested on a PC, not a PS4 or Xbone. Go to YouTube and watch Rene Rast's videos.

I'm pretty sure you missed the point of the post you were quoting. The physics are identical on all platforms, so it doesn't matter which platform the testing was done on, and of course the race drivers wouldn't have been using a pad, as they were required for feedback to make the physics realistic. Set up work could be done after the physics were done to make it easier to drive the cars with the less accurate and harsher inputs of pad users.

What the hell is going on with all these bugs and stuff? Yes I didn't test the patch out for myself yet but from what I been reading it seem like it's a lot of problems. The funny thing about it is that barley anything (feature wise) was added and it's still bugs happening. This gets me worried for future updates that contains features. And another thing that kinda annoyed me with this update is that they added the force default setup option for online and it doesn't work.

What the hell is going on with all these bugs and stuff? Yes I didn't test the patch out for myself yet but from what I been reading it seem like it's a lot of problems. The funny thing about it isthat barley anything (feature wise) was added and it's still bugs happening. This gets me worried for future updates that contains features.

All we can do is keep up the feedback on the official forum. I've seen this a few times now, they've added a new feature along with a big bug fix patch, and the feature itself is bugged. The bugs they introduced with this patch are pretty straightforward to replicate, and I've seen devs on the official forum already acknowledge they know what's going on, so they"ll be fixed next time around.

Unfortunately, with the amount of bugs the game released with, it's going to take some time to get rid of all the major ones. PD showed with GT6 that constantly updating the game can introduce more bugs than it gets rid of. GT6 often had new and exciting bugs to explore when an update came out lol. Unfortunately we'll just have to be patient.

Until then, make your voice heard on the official forum. The more people reporting problems, the more SMS will see how many people are affected, which will help them prioritise as well.

All we can do is keep up the feedback on the official forum. I've seen this a few times now, they've added a new feature along with a big bug fix patch, and the feature itself is bugged. The bugs they introduced with this patch are pretty straightforward to replicate, and I've seen devs on the official forum already acknowledge they know what's going on, so they"ll be fixed next time around.

Unfortunately, with the amount of bugs the game released with, it's going to take some time to get rid of all the major ones. PD showed with GT6 that constantly updating the game can introduce more bugs than it gets rid of. GT6 often had new and exciting bugs to explore when an update came out lol. Unfortunately we'll just have to be patient.

Until then, make your voice heard on the official forum. The more people reporting problems, the more SMS will see how many people are affected, which will help them prioritise as well.

I was actually just about to bring GT6 up about the bugs:lol: I don't want Pcars to become like GT6 when it comes to bringing more bugs into the game after a update.

I was actually just about to bring GT6 up about the bugs:lol: I don't want Pcars to become like GT6 when it comes to bringing more bugs into the game after a update.
Aren't most games heading in this general direction though? I've seen several games introducing new bugs with their updates/patches and it has become somewhat an ongoing joke......"I wonder how many bugs have they added this time?"

Game devs are trying to push the games to be as good as possible, more advanced than ever before, more feature packed, etc. But what they are doing in the process is over-stretching their team and sending out games and game updates that aren't necessarily complete or thoroughly tested.

Eventually more devs will be releasing 'alpha' games as opposed to completed titles, so that they can use the excuse, 'it's in alpha, so expect some bugs and issues'.

Aren't most games heading in this general direction though? I've seen several games introducing new bugs with their updates/patches and it has become somewhat an ongoing joke......"I wonder how many bugs have they added this time?"

Game devs are trying to push the games to be as good as possible, more advanced than ever before, more feature packed, etc. But what they are doing in the process is over-stretching their team and sending out games and game updates that aren't necessarily complete or thoroughly tested.

Eventually more devs will be releasing 'alpha' games as opposed to completed titles, so that they can use the excuse, 'it's in alpha, so expect some bugs and issues'.

Yep 100% agree.

Yeah I'd imagine they would have used the driver's input to make the actual physics as good as they could get them. Stuff like the tyre and suspension models. They could have just altered set ups to suit people driving on a pad so that they wouldn't struggle as much out of the box. Most wheel users would be willing to change their set up, where most people wanting plug and play like other console games will be using a pad.

I'm pretty sure you missed the point of the post you were quoting. The physics are identical on all platforms, so it doesn't matter which platform the testing was done on, and of course the race drivers wouldn't have been using a pad, as they were required for feedback to make the physics realistic. Set up work could be done after the physics were done to make it easier to drive the cars with the less accurate and harsher inputs of pad users.
What????? So they tested with a wheel to make the physics realistic. So after paying these "Professional Drivers" for their thoughts and input,they would change the setup for pad users? Think of what you just posted! Why the hell would they change what was "realistic with a wheel,to something completely different than what was tested with?"

Not like this, Pcars isn't even a first pass release candidate. Patch 4 really wasn't anything... Like a bunch of low level bug fixes, stuff no one complained about other than ghosting the wreckers...

Eventually they will sort their low level code issues, then fix the bugs in their features, then maybe add a suggestion or 2... It will all be called Pcars 2.

What????? So they tested with a wheel to make the physics realistic. So after paying these "Professional Drivers" for their thoughts and input,they would change the setup for pad users? Think of what you just posted! Why the hell would they change what was "realistic with a wheel,to something completely different than what was tested with?"

I think the professional drives helped alot with FFB physics with different cars . Car tuning is hole different thing , the dev said the cars set up "nuetral" easy for pad drivers

I think the professional drives helped alot with FFB physics with different cars . Car tuning is hole different thing , the dev said the cars set up "nuetral" easy for pad drivers
Have you tried this game with a pad? I think and I know are two different things. I think beer should be free.:cheers:

Please tell me you do know the difference between the physics and the set ups...

Yeah I don't know why this would even need to be explained.

images

Last edited:
Read the consultant report for Pcars ( Ben Collins and Nic Hamilton did most of the work for feedback on Pcars ), they were mostly doing review on car handling, tires and overall package. They were also given freedom to alter the setup given by SMS devs like Casey Ringley. For FQ400 Evo as example, Nic didn't like the setup provided by SMS and he altered it until he felt satisfied ( less edgy ), his setup then used as default in game ( release ), which also do not correlate at all to the actual real car in stock form. Nic used very fast steering, he advised Casey to lower it if deemed the steering will be too quick for players ( not just wheel users in mind )

Most of the times, the consultant gave suggestions to alter tire ( grip, behavior ), FFB, car performance, balance and behavior ( physics for each model ) which also depended on FFB from the wheels they used and often the setup used become default setup.

What makes me curious though, is the type of wheels/pedals used by Ben and Nic as well as their FFB settings ( these should be included in game FFB preset ) so people can try what if feels like to drive exactly the same hardware setup as the consultants, and how they got there = the game default setup/car model.

Last edited:
If the FQ400 stock tune is what Nic Hamilton thought was good, I think it speaks more about what he prefers the car to handle like than anything else, that tune is terrible for me.

I don't know what wheels they used. Maybe CSW V2?
mqdefault.jpg

Edit: That's Ben Collins in that photo before anyone asks what it's relevance is.

I posted Nic video diary of PCars test/feedback before, it showed his rig and he gave thorough review on Clio build ( during late stage of development )

Last edited:
Back