Patio screen wall and lighting. Audio is no more.

• Thread starter TB
  • 50 comments
The last few things for the patio are in a state of flux. We need something to contain the dogs when they're out there with us.

The first plan was a six foot long bench that doubles as a three foot tall wall. We decided that would be too heavy to move for us to get into the backyard.

The bench then became a prep countertop next to the grill doubling as the same three foot wall. Again, weight could be an issue. Also, both of those had design challenges I wasn't looking forward to.

That has now transformed into a planter box with a gate. Which then became a two level, "L" shaped planter box with a gate. Which then became a three level, square-ish planter box with a gate. :lol:

I was considering incorporating a water feature in there, too, but didn't want to run more electrical the other way from what I'm already doing. I will be doing a self watering thing with the planter, though.

A thought on the bench/counter. Not sure what you were thinking of using, but a 2x4 box with 2x4 support joists using decking boards for the seat, 4x4s for the legs and using lattice to fill the void below to keep the dog's fenced in shouldn't be too heavy. On all three designs, using heavy duty casters would also make moving them all the more easy.

A thought on the bench/counter. Not sure what you were thinking of using, but a 2x4 box with 2x4 support joists using decking boards for the seat, 4x4s for the legs and using lattice to fill the void below to keep the dog's fenced in shouldn't be too heavy. On all three designs, using heavy duty casters would also make moving them all the more easy.
The bench was going to have a 2x6 leg/back rest partially cut at a 10 degree angle. The rest was going to be 2x4 structure and the same 5/4 I used for the wall. From the outside it would look like a shorter version of the wall. It would end up being about six and a half feel long unless I did it in two pieces, of course.

Basically the same for the countertop.

As for the casters, I quit looking when most were steel (rust) or were larger than the 2" I was hoping for.

All-in-all I think I'll be happier with the planter box/gate, anyway. Which I've also changed the design of, fearing it would be just too damn big the way it was heading. :lol:

Am I going blind? I don't see any mention of issues with the audio other than the edited title.
There's a long, and almost assuredly boring, story regarding audio research involving impedance, wattage and usability that resulted in me not being comfortable spending about $400 on a "might work". Instead, I opted for a bluetooth speaker from the Prime sale. I can always revisit later if I want to but for now, this will do. Now i just need to get a stronger wifi signal on the patio but that shouldn't be too difficult.

LET THERE BE LIGHT!!!

20190721_222055.jpg

The string lights aren't officially mounted, just in a pile, but the light switch, conduit and wiring thing was done this afternoon once the last piece of the structure was finished.

Knowing my analness, the lights will take me hours to get lined up the way I want them. :crazy:

Then it all needs to be stained.

That. Was. A. Long. Damn. Day. But I am BEYOND happy with the results. :D

The fire pit came yesterday and was just assembled and running (see below).

After just shy of a month, the Adirondacks finally showed up today. They'll be assembled and stained soon.

The cover for the smoker has been ordered and should be delivered on Friday. A new propane canister will be purchased, likely on Friday then all three will be filled. If I'm going to sit at the truck stop for one...

After looking at my available vacation time, I decided today would be a good day to skip out early and get the wall stained. Hopefully that wasn't a poor decision. :scared: Color picked by my wife - Cape Cod Grey. We burned through two gallons today, another will be picked up tomorrow which should be enough to finish the rest.

To do:
Finish staining
String up the lights
Build and stain the planter box and gate
Build and stain a grilling countertop
Drink a long overdue Mai Tai*

20190724_212212.jpg

*May or may not end up being a Mai Tai

"Audio is no more" :confused:
We've been over this, kikie!
TB
There's a long, and almost assuredly boring, story regarding audio research involving impedance, wattage and usability that resulted in me not being comfortable spending about $400 on a "might work". Instead, I opted for a bluetooth speaker from the Prime sale. I can always revisit later if I want to but for now, this will do. Now i just need to get a stronger wifi signal on the patio but that shouldn't be too difficult.

And now, because why not, it's raining. :irked:

Last edited:
So I had the bright idea of extra counter space outside and it appears granite is likely my best bet for choice of material. Because of the grey wall and "Atlantic Blue" (see below) for the Adirondacks and the structure of the countertop, I was hoping for find granite in the grey family. Scouring Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, the range is either fake granite (laminate), granite with holes in it for a sink, a huge piece for entirely more than I wanted to spend or four hours away. Went over to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore and came across this:

20190727_210750.jpg

While it wasn't my first (or second) choice of color, two pieces that are each 19.5" x 23.5" (I was unofficially planning on 24" x 36" so this is perfect) for a total of $40 wasn't going to be passed up. I could look for another year and still not find grey granite for less than $50. For reference, Home Depot sells granite starting at $47 per square foot. :scared:

Now to figure out if I want one larger counter or two smaller ones.

Atlantic Blue:

20190727_211005.jpg

My kill room spray booth might not be the prettiest but 1) it works and 2) it's a hell of a lot easier than brushing the Adirondacks.

20190811_124715.jpg

20190811_124251.jpg

I'm just glad my 20 year old spray painter that I haven't used in 18 years still works!

After making exactly NO headway last summer, I've finally got the planter box started. Had some wicked setbacks but it's starting to shape up.

20210515_192706.jpg

Back