Patio screen wall and lighting. Audio is no more.

• Thread starter TB
  • 50 comments

TB

Space Lord
United States
NoDak
Cy-Fi
Our patio gets hot. Usually coupled with 15+ mph wind. As our house sits higher than the six, yes SIX, surrounding neighbor's backyards, we simply don't use the patio at all as we feel "exposed" whenever we're out there. I'd like to change that.

Last summer I came up with a decent design for a screen wall that will both block most of the sun along with he wind and sightlines. Downside, which I think I've found a way to "soften" is the wall will end up being eight feet tall. From the outside, I fear this will look... intimidating, or at a minimum standoffish. To make the patio usable, I don't feel I really have a choice, though. I'm hoping that the horizontal 2x6 will work to soften the height as it's technically necessary to go taht high for a "ceiling" as a 6 foot wall obviously wouldn't cut it.

Also, I got a potentially dangerous email from Monoprice yesterday (@Terronium-12 understands) that they have exterior speakers with a buried sub now. Having heard, what I can only assume was a much more expensive version at a friends lake cabin last summer, I was impressed with how good they sounded. Did some brainstorming and think I have a good chunk of it figured out, including the lighting and controls for it. Not sure how “approved by code” it is, but we’ll worry about that later…

Audio

Lighting

Design

Extension cord run from a receptacle to the splitter in weatherproof box, amplifier plugged in to one leg, wiring from other leg to weatherproof switch then to string lights.

Speakers placed in two corners of the patio, sub near the house in the other corner. Down side – speaker wire will have to be run from the amp, past both speakers, to sub then from the sub back to the speakers. But I don’t have anywhere else to put either the sub or the amp without it sticking out somewhere.

Lighting will tentatively be (5) 20 foot passes of string lights, at the two furthest points of the roof structure then spaced equal distances apart, fanning out slightly.
To scale, but not correctly colored:

DUFBvOW.png

If anyone has any recommendations, I'm all ears!

Can you post a photo of the patio? It is maybe easier for others to give suggestions.

Can you post a photo of the patio? It is maybe easier for others to give suggestions.
It's currently just a concrete slab with the steps and a paver stone to get through the landscape rock into the back yard. Exactly what I drew. :P

And I don't think I have any pictures of anything.

Edit:

Capture.PNG

Helpful, huh? :lol:

We planted some arborvitae in the yard* but they'll take about 10 years to be tall enough to do anything. And because they get 6' across, they're too big for the landscaping that's in the neighborhood of 3'.

*I was somewhat against that but did it anyway. I told the wife we essentially need a wall. She's finally on board with that after thinking a pergola would do the trick.

The weatherproof switch cover confuses me a bit. Do you install the switch itself and offset it to the right left, or is there a toggle slider behind the metal plate? :confused:

Hah. Relative directions are hard.

The weatherproof switch cover confuses me a bit. Do you install the switch itself and offset it to the right left, or is there a toggle slider behind the metal plate? :confused:

Hah. Relative directions are hard.
The back side of the cover plate is sideways horseshoe shaped so as you rotate the switch on the plate, it engages the "normal" switch behind it to turn the lights on and off.

I vaguely recall that you are moving soon. How soon or is it confirmed? Just wondering if this project is worth the efforts.

Although, I will say that this would be a very nice addition if you are looking for a little more privacy and a place to have lunch on a nice spring, summer or fall day. As well as small gathering of friends for drinks.

TB
Do you know something I don't?
I.. I thought you were moving to Hawaii. Ugh. I've been stressed out. I could be making this up. :lol:

(But really though...:odd:)

EDIT:

TB
Announcement that I'm moving to Maui

This was labeled as an upcoming event for you in the future.

I.. I thought you were moving to Hawaii. Ugh. I've been stressed out. I could be making this up. :lol:

(But really though...:odd:)

EDIT:

This was labeled as an upcoming event for you in the future.
That's 1) theoretical and 2) 10 years away if it does happen.

hoekpaviljoen-goudplevier-368x368-cm-20.jpg
hoekpaviljoen-watersnip-327x327-cm-geimpregneerd-+-gratis-epdm-&-gratis-thuisbezorgd-20.jpg
hoekpaviljoen-p3555-interflex-350x350-cm-20.jpg
paviljoen-p3051-interflex-520x318-cm-20.png
hoekpaviljoen-p3056-interflex-318x318-cm-20.png
grandcasa-romantic-line-fotona.jpg
grandcasa-romantic-line-iokaste.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

64_WPA0600_close_up_Front.1274f883.jpg
65_WPA0600.1274f883.jpg

All of these patio examples in combination with (roll-down) shutters or using shutters and nothing else.

As mentioned in the recent purchase thread, the lumber and quikrete have been ordered and should be delivered some time tomorrow. The holes are dug*, which should be the hardest part, so hopefully the rest goes smoothly.

As for the layout diagrammed in the first post, there have been two changes.

The first was to move the existing paver stone over about a foot so the short side of the wall matches the middle point of the opposite wall. Previously that section was going to be about 16 inches shorter. Because symmetrical.

The other change, albeit minor, was to have the diagonal 2x6s overhang the edges of the wall a bit with the ends cut at a 22.5 degree angle instead of a straight 90. Simple, but will add just a touch of style to it.

And like an idiot, I neglected to take any "before" pictures... :irked:

*It just poured this morning so they're likely filled with four feet of water now...

EDIT: The height of the Fortress of Patiotude has yet to be officially decided. Six feet won't be tall enough with the diagonals and 8 feet feels too tall. It will inevitably fall somewhere in the 7 foot range. Maybe 7'-6".

After the apocalyptic downpour on Saturday, it was impossible to make any progress digging holes as the clay was so wet it just fell through the blades of the post hole digger. After countless trips with the shop vac sucking the water out of the holes, it was finally dry enough yesterday to get 2 more post in. After getting home from work tonight then taking my son to his bass lesson, I headed back out. We got 2 more done by around 8 then I check the forecast.

Chances of rain all day tomorrow.

Damn damn.

Fought off the headache that had been brewing and got the last two posts done just after 10 tonight. I finally feel like I'm making some progress on this project.

Now that it's not dark outside, kind of before (pre-posts but after the rock was moved and holes dug) and during, not after, pics.

20190629_102223.jpg

20190703_064307.jpg

20190629_102239.jpg

20190703_064329.jpg

Only two minor and one major change to the patio so far but it's coming along very well. :D

Is it ready yet? I want to come over and BBQ/party.
Getting there but there's still work to do:
  • Add one half of a row of the horizontal boards to fill in the gap right above the rock
  • Add approximately 5 more boards spanning across the top (this one's kind of hard to explain)
  • Electrical work
  • Wait for the wood to dry out enough to stain
  • Rearrange some of the plants and fix some irrigation lines
  • Probably some other things I can't remember at 4am :P

20190707_200148.jpg

20190707_200204.jpg

4nxDSla.jpg

Sorry for the panoramic distortion.

TB
You can have twice as many snacks.
Thanks!

In that case, I accept and I invite you to buy me twice as many snacks.

This is going to be so much fun, eating snacks in TB's new self made patio screen wall, lightning and audio.

On paper, this is a simple process.

In reality, it took me about four hours.

20190714_204301.jpg

20190714_204314.jpg

And joy of joys, I have another four to do!

I'm running into electrical problems, too. Just when the end was in sight.

Back