TT002 Rerun: Oreca 03 Nissan @ Catalunya GP [PC/PS4/XB1] CRAP pCARS Event OPEN

United Kingdom
Near Reading, Uk
JohnSchoonsBeard
CRAP pCARS Club presents the second in a series of time trials. Leaderboard will be kept open unless track limits change or there is similar good reason. Open to ALL formats whether PC, PS4 or XB1.

[Image to come. If anyone wants to create one before I get the time please feel free.]

Oreca 03 Nissan @ Catalunya GP

Tuning

If you want to use a tuning setup for the car load that from your main garage prior to selecting time trial. This setup will then be used in the time trail mode.

Instructions

-Select "Time Trial" from main menu
-Track: Catalunya GP
-Class:
-Car: Oreca 03 Nissan
-Drive superfast lap(s)
-Press pause
-Take photo of paused screen (see example below - share, upload and link in Facebook, Twitter, Flickr etc.
-Post link to pic in this thread along with the following info.
Lap-time (m:ss.nnn), GTP name, System (PS4/XB1/PC), PSN/XB1/Steam ID, Wheel or controller

e.g.
2:56.320 CRAPBarry PC CRAPBarry342 Wheel

CRAP pCARS Club (PS4) is found below

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ed-race-sun-7-june-7pm-bst-gmt-1-open.327783/

Leaderboard (post v3.0)

Lap, GTP, System, Network ID, Control

1:37.733 @copes24 PS4 copes24 T500

Original Leaderboard (pre v3.0)

Lap, GTP, System, Network ID, Control
1.33.849 @Saidur_Ali, PC, saidur_ali, G27
1:35.319 @Lanius1984 PS4 Lanius1984 DS4
1.35.574 @Telstar PC Telstar4571 G27
1:35.663 @Animera PC Animera G27
1:35.790 @Im_Lukas PC lukas_akinikiwoowoo XB1 Pad
1.36.168 @Johnnypenso, PC, Johnnypenso, G27
1:37.681 @Spliffyclyro PS4 MajorTrauma999 Wheel
1:37.741 @copes24 PS4 copes24 T500
1:38.691 @mister dog PC misterdog7 Wheel
1:38.805 @Whaleboy PS4 Whaleboy T300
1:39.200 @lancashire lad PS4 Storm--Trooper- T300
1:39.688 @JohnScoonsBeard PS4 JohnSchoonsBeard T300

Last edited:
Edit: Here's a quick time people can start to beat (including myself):

1grxxg.jpg

Last edited:
Could go much faster than that if cut the chicane like I assume person in second place is doing but I won't.

Can't wait till they sort out these track limits, it takes a lot of the fun out of it when someone with the same skill can be a couple of seconds faster just because they skip a corner. Good to see that you've got in to P1 while taking corners correctly though 👍.

My most driven car in this game so far is the Alpine A450 which I believe is identical to this car so hopefully I can put in a decent time although I'm not sure how well my Monza setup will translate to Catalunya.

Edit: Monza setup is horrible here which took only a few corners to realise, I will settle with the default setup for now.

1:37.250, Im_Lukas, PC, lukas_akinikiwoowoo, XB1 Pad
2015-06-06_00002.jpg

Last edited:
Can't wait till they sort out these track limits, it takes a lot of the fun out of it when someone with the same skill can be a couple of seconds faster just because they skip a corner. Good to see that you've got in to P1 while taking corners correctly though 👍.

My most driven car in this game so far is the Alpine A450 which I believe is identical to this car so hopefully I can put in a decent time although I'm not sure how well my Monza setup will translate to Catalunya.
It is a shame for example how SMS-R championship has been run, not going to run them events anymore as it seems a waste of time now as hard to know what the rules are if they change their stance during and after events. I probably lost out on winning T300RS potentially too. Not very motivating at all and seems the two top drivers have stopped doing these events too. Hopefully they get it fixed soon 👍.

Setup changes I made are brake duct and radiator closed, front downforce 10 and rear downforce 7. 6th gear to 1.15 and brake mapping 5.

It is a shame for example how SMS-R championship has been run, not going to run them events anymore as it seems a waste of time now as hard to know what the rules are if they change their stance during and after events. I probably lost out on winning T300RS potentially too. Not very motivating at all and seems the two top drivers have stopped doing these events too. Hopefully they get it fixed soon 👍.

The SMS-R championship has been a disaster, the annoying thing is I reckon many of the drivers who finish high up in the standings while cutting corners would still be high in the standings if they all stopped cutting but it only takes one driver and the rest will follow. From what I can tell so far there isn't much opportunity for cutting on the Clio event at Oulton Park unless I'm missing something so I'm hoping to put some time in there and try to finish top 50.

I'll see what I can do with some setup changes, your settings there look like a good start rather than spending half an hour deciding which brake bias I like best. I swear Catalunya has never been this bumpy in the other games I've played or maybe I just haven't noticed.

The SMS-R championship has been a disaster, the annoying thing is I reckon many of the drivers who finish high up in the standings while cutting corners would still be high in the standings if they all stopped cutting but it only takes one driver and the rest will follow. From what I can tell so far there isn't much opportunity for cutting on the Clio event at Oulton Park unless I'm missing something so I'm hoping to put some time in there and try to finish top 50.

I'll see what I can do with some setup changes, your settings there look like a good start rather than spending half an hour deciding which brake bias I like best. I swear Catalunya has never been this bumpy in the other games I've played or maybe I just haven't noticed.
Think the order would be quite different though as we are talking about many seconds gained so someone who might be quite off the pace can get ahead of many people who aren't doing the same. Hopefully there is no going in pit lane like Silverstone in new events, think schumi170388 will win it as he seems to know all the tricks and seems fast.

Seemed reasonably smooth to me regarding track with this car and very good low speed grip. I just did the usual changes I do and thought I would gain the most by being on track more. Hopefully my time is reasonably competitive although I understand setup changes can make a lot of difference.

Last edited:
Seemed reasonably smooth to me regarding track with this car and very good low speed grip. I just did the usual changes I do and thought I would gain the most by being on track more. Hopefully my time is reasonably competitive although I understand setup changes can make a lot of difference.

The order would be different for sure but how much it changes depends on how much track there is to skip, I still reckon the fastest guys with corner cutting will still be competing for top 10s at least.

I will say first my games of reference are Forza 5 and F1 2010/2012 but coming out of the slower corners on pCARS the car is jumping a lot more than I've experienced in them three games. I'm liking it though, adds some more character to a track I usually find rather bland.

While I'm here thanks for setting these up and keeping the leaderboards updated @JohnScoonsBeard you're doing a great job.

The order would be different for sure but how much it changes depends on how much track there is to skip, I still reckon the fastest guys with corner cutting will still be competing for top 10s at least.

I will say first my games of reference are Forza 5 and F1 2010/2012 but coming out of the slower corners on pCARS the car is jumping a lot more than I've experienced in them three games. I'm liking it though, adds some more character to a track I usually find rather bland.

While I'm here thanks for setting these up and keeping the leaderboards updated @JohnScoonsBeard you're doing a great job.
The fastest players corner cutting times got a decent chance of competing in top 10 but I saw top 20 on the heavy cutting time trials and a lot of the usernames weren't even on the top 20 before. It makes a huge difference as we are talking about many seconds gained. For example the super fast non-cutting time didn't make it in the top 20 and they are the only places that count. If there was no cutting then that would have been likely number 1 time.

I find it quite stable on braking, much more better relatively than Formula A setup I used on low speed corners and not much locking of tyres under heavy braking. Do find pCARS much easier to push car to limit in general though than games you mentioned.

Also a big 👍 to @JohnScoonsBeard too.

^ Nice, that's a good time. I think with the current setup that i have i might find a second or 2 if i nail it, but the rest will depend on tuning the car again.

Any setup tips from you gents that helped a great deal with this car? So far i just did the FFB and lowered the back springs a bit.

You have to wonder though, how does @Saidur_Ali get to be so bloody fast on his first try :eek:
No point driving slower on first try, give it the beans and see what car has got ;).
^ Nice, that's a good time. I think with the current setup that i have i might find a second or 2 if i nail it, but the rest will depend on tuning the car again.

Any setup tips from you gents that helped a great deal with this car? So far i just did the FFB and lowered the back springs a bit.
You can see the setup changes I made in following post: #6

Thank you. Was indeed a good lap, can't think of a corner where there is still a lot of time to gain.

Haven't changed the setup much so far. Only things I did were FFB adjustments, raising brake pressure to 100% and sway bar adjustments to get a bit more oversteer. I think altering the diff settings will provide some imrpovement but haven't touched them yet. Another thing may be changing brake bias on the fly. I need to play a little bit with all those stuff.

Next one:

1.36:177 @Telstar PC Telstar4571 G27
View attachment 385277

Update:
2015-06-07_00004.jpg

Six tenths faster now. I'd say two tenths because of a few more practice laps and another four due to setup changes.

Compared to my former setup, I adjusted the sway bars and reduced front downforce two clicks to get even more oversteer (it is slighty more than neutral now which is almost a little bit too much sometimes. Maybe I'll have to readjust in that regard). Diff settings are both now on a rather low percentage. Apart of that, I raised the pressure of the left front tyre to keep its temperature a bit lower. At last I made sure the final gear redlines right at the moment I hit the brakes on the main straight.

Having troubles getting under the 1:40 mark at the moment. In general i'm not really happy on oversteer, but with the Oreca you need good turn in and be able to ride the kerbs in Catalunya at the same time, which is a tricky compromise for me.

My decent controlled pace only gets me a time around the 1:41 mark, and then i see everyone flying to the mid 30's with no hustle. Better follow some ghosts tomorrow see where i lose the most time.

Having troubles getting under the 1:40 mark at the moment. In general i'm not really happy on oversteer, but with the Oreca you need good turn in and be able to ride the kerbs in Catalunya at the same time, which is a tricky compromise for me.

My decent controlled pace only gets me a time around the 1:41 mark, and then i see everyone flying to the mid 30's with no hustle. Better follow some ghosts tomorrow see where i lose the most time.
I need more turn in to go faster so any tips in order to get that? Maybe you will like setup I used as it is very stable as not too different from stock.

Hopefully video below will help. I messed up a bit start of lap due to missing the racing line slightly. I planned to make the 3 tenths up on first sector and start of second but in the end had to make most of it in last sector.

@Saidur_Ali i have been giving it some thought, and i have a question; do you prefer a very light steering wheel in general with almost no resistance?

I remember once when due to a bug on FM4 or GAS (can't remember), i lost all FFB momentarily and immediately i was a lot faster as there are no forces to fight against whilst turning.

Hence my theory why aliens like yourself can reach those alien times with such ease :)

Edit: As an example i lowered the Fy scale (so i would have a lighter wheel), from 88 to 84 and almost immediately i shaved off a second from my laptime. Before is was tuning the car a bit and i could only manage a 1:39:5, but as soon as the wheel was a bit lighter:

1:38:691:

v7b8nr.jpg

Last edited:
@Saidur_Ali i have been giving it some thought, and i have a question; do you prefer a very light steering wheel in general with almost no resistance?

I remember once when due to a bug on FM4 or GAS (can't remember), i lost all FFB momentarily and immediately i was a lot faster as there are no forces to fight against whilst turning.

Hence my theory why aliens like yourself can reach those alien times with such ease :)
I prefer personally more force feedback although I can get on with little or it even off, pCARS I still left it at stock because I'm lazy :lol:. I prefer Driveclub for example with DS4 than T300 as I find it has better FFB and can get number 1 times with it which is a shock to me :eek:.

Not alien speed yet but hopefully I have potential to one day get up there.

I think I can adapt to different physics, different track and car combos quite quickly as it takes me a few laps to see where limit of car might be and then I just drive close to the limit.

I tell you a quick story, once I tried one of them really expensive simulators £100,000+. Same one as this and same track but with a Megane Trophy car IIRC: Link

First simulator I've used with such a strong FFB steering wheel and pedals motion simulator and also driving on that car and track with a new physics engine to me and had 5 lap session IIRC. Anyway I was told by the student that most people spin and crash. So I did some laps, annoyed with myself for messing up last lap which would have been much faster, got off and then found the student in disbelief. He said I beat his best time that he spent like a year to achieve by over a second in my first few laps and couldnt believe I have such little experience with this simulator. Even after I told him I'm reasonably quick at racing games such as GT, he still was in disbelief :lol:.

Think key is to understand how to go quick first, I learnt that from watching F1 and honing skills in Gran Turismo and seems to work well in any other game and even real life.

Last edited:
I prefer personally more force feedback although I can get on with little or it even off, pCARS I still left it at stock because I'm lazy :lol:. I prefer Driveclub for example with DS4 than T300 as I find it has better FFB and can get number 1 times with it which is a shock to me :eek:.

Not alien speed yet but hopefully I have potential to one day get up there.

I think I can adapt to different physics, different track and car combos quite quickly as it takes me a few laps to see where limit of car might be and then I just drive close to the limit.

I tell you a quick story, once I tried one of them really expensive simulators £100,000+. Same one as this and same track but with a Megane Trophy car IIRC: Link

First simulator I've used with such a strong FFB steering wheel and pedals motion simulator and also driving on that car and track with a new physics engine to me and had 5 lap session IIRC. Anyway I was told by the student that most people spin and crash. So I did some laps, annoyed with myself for messing up last lap which would have been much faster, got off and then found the student in disbelief. He said I beat his best time that he spent like a year to achieve by over a second in my first few laps and couldnt believe I have such little experience with this simulator. Even after I told him I'm reasonably quick at racing games such as GT, he still was in disbelief :lol:.

Think key is to understand how to go quick first, I learnt that from watching F1 and honing skills in Gran Turismo and seems to work well in any other game and even real life.
I've probably got like 20 years of racing game experience now. Starting of as a 10 year old that doesn't know his arse from his elbow, but thanks to the first GT's getting gradually better at racecraft and more consistent and speedy.
Yet the times you set i think the majority of us can only dream of. I have to practice, setup the car, do tons of laps and be lucky enough to nail it on all corners and i'll still be more than 3 seconds behind guys like you which is a huge difference if you think about it.

There must be explanations though, like light steering wheels in some cases and heavy brake pedals (i can't set pressure at a 100 or i'll spin). Things like that, but yes i guess natural talent is the biggest factor.

Anyhow i got a couple of decades till i reach @Johnnypenso 's age, so there's still time to work on my technique and become as fast as he is :D

Last edited:
I've probably got like 20 years of racing game experience now. Starting of as a 10 year old that doesn't know his arse from his elbow, but thanks to the first GT's getting gradually better at racecraft and more consistent and speedy.
Yet the times you set i think the majority of us can only dream of. I have to practice, setup the car, do tons of laps and be lucky enough to nail it on all corners and i'll still be more than 3 seconds behind guys like you which is a huge difference if you think about it.

There must be explanations though, like light steering wheels in some cases and heavy brake pedals (i can't set pressure at a 100 or i'll spin). Things like that, but yes i guess natural talent is the biggest factor.

Anyhow i got a couple of decades till i reach @Johnnypenso 's age, so there's still time to work on my technique and become as fast as he is :D
I wonder in a way if I've got that much experience as may have played Burnin' Rubber (Amstrad) and Super Mario Kart (SNES) when I was little and GT1 Platinum Edition when I was like 8 or something like that. I think I got slower as I got older though from them days but probably 6 years ago I became much faster. Main reason like mentioned before is I watched F1, 2008 watched last race which got me excited to watch F1 and started watching properly in 2009 and was wondering how they drive so quick as surely they are just mere mortals too.

Then it clicked how simple it is in a way to drive quick. I was likely much slower than you before this eureka moment. Found they have like brake reference points, drive smoothly, carry as much speed in and out of corner while keeping minimum speed up as much as the tyres allow. That made me much quicker in games afterwards. I remember on GT5P when I first started online time trials, they had stock leaderboards, did what I felt like a decent lap and I was something like 8+ seconds off. Ended up being much closer once I tried what I learnt from watching TV.

If I can improve by that much, then don't lose hope as you might one day find a similar improvement. Another thing I learnt is you have to be as one with the car as possible and also ahead of it as in you know what will happen before it happens, that will help you get closer to the limit. If you initially break things down to knowing how to do one corner really well with one car, then you can sort of take that mindset to all corners with any car and then do well too.

Don't think your sim equipment makes a huge difference, as long as you got something decent and functional then you should be able to do fast times with it. Also if you use full pressure, you can always put less brake input in, it will still stop you really quickly, you don't need to stamp on the brakes, just enough to the point before locking. Main excuses I will hide behind though is car setup and time spent on it :lol:. Key is to adapt though, even a game I really disliked the feeling I got, I managed to do reasonably well at: iRacing and also on Forza 5 where you have to second guess what the control system will allow in terms of letting you steer the car: Link

There are plenty of people who are a lot younger or also older that are faster than me so hopefully one day I get closer to their level or ahead. Once you get closer to the limit, it is shaving the final few tenths of your laptime which become most time consuming and getting up to decent pace the easy bit. Anyway sorry for boring everyone but hopefully it helps someone :lol:.

Last edited:
I wonder in a way if I've got that much experience as may have played Burnin' Rubber (Amstrad) and Super Mario Kart (SNES) when I was little and GT1 Platinum Edition when I was like 8 or something like that. I think I got slower as I got older though from them days but probably 6 years ago I became much faster. Main reason like mentioned before is I watched F1, 2008 watched last race which got me excited to watch F1 and started watching properly in 2009 and was wondering how they drive so quick as surely they are just mere mortals too.

Then it clicked how simple it is in a way to drive quick. I was likely much slower than you before this eureka moment. Found they have like brake reference points, drive smoothly, carry as much speed in and out of corner while keeping minimum speed up as much as the tyres allow. That made me much quicker in games afterwards. I remember on GT5P when I first started online time trials, they had stock leaderboards, did what I felt like a decent lap and I was something like 8+ seconds off. Ended up being much closer once I tried what I learnt from watching TV.

If I can improve by that much, then don't lose hope as you might one day find a similar improvement. Another thing I learnt is you have to be as one with the car as possible and also ahead of it as in you know what will happen before it happens, that will help you get closer to the limit. If you initially break things down to knowing how to do one corner really well with one car, then you can sort of take that mindset to all corners with any car and then do well too.

Don't think your sim equipment makes a huge difference, as long as you got something decent and functional then you should be able to do fast times with it. Also if you use full pressure, you can always put less brake input in, it will still stop you really quickly, you don't need to stamp on the brakes, just enough to the point before locking. Main excuses I will hide behind though is car setup and time spent on it :lol:. Key is to adapt though, even a game I really disliked the feeling I got, I managed to do reasonably well at: iRacing and also on Forza 5 where you have to second guess what the control system will allow in terms of letting you steer the car: Link

There are plenty of people who are a lot younger or also older that are faster than me so hopefully one day I get closer to their level or ahead. Once you get closer to the limit, it is shaving the final few tenths of your laptime which become most time consuming and getting up to decent pace the easy bit. Anyway sorry for boring everyone but hopefully it helps someone :lol:.
Thanks for the tips, not often you hear driving tips from someone as fast as you:tup: Now if I could just figure out how to these old hands, feet and brain to do everything you advise I'd be all set!

Thanks for the tips, not often you hear driving tips from someone as fast as you:tup: Now if I could just figure out how to these old hands, feet and brain to do everything you advise I'd be all set!
Some fast people are really secretive but on GTPlanet it is usually quite open 👍. If you get used to driving fast cars such as this: Link then everything feels slow and easy but some find they can't no longer drive normal cars anymore :lol:. Only type of car that probably makes my feet hurt after a few laps as speed of brake and throttle input has to be really quick.

Back