[PC] Subnautica - Under Water Survival (v1.0 out now!)

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 46 comments

CodeRedR51

Premium
United States
United States
MainCapsuleImage_FINAL-618x354.jpg

Anyone else playing this? It's on Steam - Early Access right now and I've been watching a few Let's Play's on YouTube (Generikb mainly) and have to say, it looks really cool. Never would I think this type of game would catch my interest, but I'll be purchasing it this week sometime.

The unique way you gather materials to craft items that you'll need to craft additional items to build larger items is awesome, and just wandering around and exploring and seeing all the different types of alien creatures and plant life (love the glowing stuff). Seems like they are updating it almost on a weekly basis with improvements, I can't wait to see how large they make it.

I watched a couple gameplay videos and it looks very fun. I have always been obsessed with aquatic wildlife.

Havent got the game but like you I have watched quite a few Lets Play videos. Do you know of Splattercat?

A lot of games are heading in this crafting/survival direction though. Theres quite a few out there now and I really like the way these games are going.

Cant wait to see this game once it has more added to it because it already looks awesome!!

Havent got the game but like you I have watched quite a few Lets Play videos. Do you know of Splattercat?

A lot of games are heading in this crafting/survival direction though. Theres quite a few out there now and I really like the way these games are going.

Cant wait to see this game once it has more added to it because it already looks awesome!!
I haven't seen his videos, will take a look on my lunch break.

As far as the game goes, I believe it's due for another update this week (possibly Wednesday) where the mother ship explodes and then you can actually get inside it and explore. People playing the experimental version can already see the explosion and kind of get inside it. I watched a video last night where someone found a way to glitch into another part of the ship into what looks like an engine room that's not finished.

Bought the game tonight and played for a bit. Unfortunately I didn't save and the game crashed. Thankfully I didn't get too far (just enough to get the SeaMoth) but I think next time around I'll remember what button to push to save. :P This is my first PC game using the keyboard (used PS3 controller for others) so it's a learning experience. I have everything maxed out with the graphics and my computer seems to be handling it just fine. :)

I'll get some playing time tonight. They just posted a 500mb update yesterday which changed the menu's and some of the crafting features. It was supposed to include the blowing up of the mother ship but I guess they are running a little behind on that. (it is available for those playing the experimental copy)

That's in a deep cave that the entrance is hard to find. There's also an area with tons of volcanic activity. Seen it on YouTube videos, but I have yet to find it myself.

Under water sea base is coming along nicely. Need to add a few more windows, but Quartz is tough to find during the daytime. (lights up like a candle at night though, easier to find then) But it takes 3 Quartz to make 1 Glass, and then 2 Glass to make a window. So 6 Quartz to make a window basically. Slow going on the windows.

2015-04-21_00001.jpg 2015-04-21_00002.jpg 2015-04-21_00003.jpg 2015-04-21_00004.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a lot of fun. One of the videos I watched someone built it too low in the water and the pressure and weight from the water actually broke their base. A lot of really cool stuff in this game.

Looks like a lot of fun. One of the videos I watched someone built it too low in the water and the pressure and weight from the water actually broke their base. A lot of really cool stuff in this game.
It will do that if you don't add reinforcements. There's a hull strength system, the more you add the less strength it has. But you can add strength by building reinforcements.

Went for another adventure. Still looking for the volcanic area, stumbled upon a big slab of lava but no actual volcanic activity. Guess I could cheat and watch a YouTube video on how to find it. Took these while looking:

2015-04-25_00001.jpg 2015-04-25_00002.jpg 2015-04-25_00003.jpg 2015-04-25_00005.jpg

Edit: Switched over to the experimental version of the game so I'm up to date on all the current changes. First thing I noticed was how much better it looked & ran due to them switching the game over to 64-bit. 👍

Last edited:
So they updated the game, and unfortunately I was forced to start a new save. :( Well, if I wanted the new terrain areas and to be able to explore the mother ship I had to. Speaking of:

2015-04-27_00003.jpg 2015-04-27_00005.jpg

Boom.

So I went right to work on getting the radiation suit and another Seamoth built so I could explore it. Got over to it and then while I was looking around I saw a shadow moving next to me, so I turned to look at what might be causing it, and my game instantly slowed to an indicated 1 FPS. :eek: I was able to slowly save and exit, but it's 12:30am now and I have to be up in 6 hours so I decided to just save the exploration until tomorrow.

Absolutely loving this game.

Funny note from exploring last night, went towards the south part of the map to see if I could find the Lava Zone. Upon getting close to the edge of the map, I was rudely interrupted by an enormous roar. The Reapers have been unleashed. :eek:

Couldn't find the lava zone still, but on my way back to the crash pod I accidentally got a little too close to a Reaper and although I thought I could out run him he caught up to me and grabbed a hold of the Seamoth I was in. Managed to get away, but the moment he grabbed me it made a large booming sound and because I was wearing headphones it gave me quite the scare. :P

And yeah, it's pretty much a must that you wear good headphones while playing this game, the sounds are amazing.

They released a new update this morning which includes several new items you can craft, as well as updates to the sea bases and the Cyclops submarine. 👍

With the new update had to start a new save.

We can paint the Cyclops sub now, so I painted mine black with the large stripe silver and the small stripe red.

2015-05-28_00005.jpg

Then I built a new base under ground near the creepvine forest that has the glowing seeds.

2015-05-29_00002.jpg

And just another nice shot in that same area.

2015-05-30_00002.jpg

An update was posted yesterday. They added some more areas to explore and some new plants. Snapped a few pics while I was out exploring the floating island area which is one of the new areas they added.

2015-06-19_00001.jpg 2015-06-19_00002.jpg 2015-06-19_00003.jpg 2015-06-19_00004.jpg

An update was just released a few days ago. Still trying to get things set up in a new save, but snapped a couple photos while I was out exploring new territory.

2015-08-13_00001.jpg
2015-08-13_00002.jpg

Anyone else playing this besides me? Seems survival/crafting games are not popular around here. Anyway, we get early access updates probably every 4-6 weeks. The last one gave us some pretty sweet upgrades for the SeaMoth (small sub) and the next update should be an overhaul of the water and lighting. Can't wait for that one.

Spent the last few days building a new home base for myself and I have to say this one is a keeper. 👍

2015-09-27_00001.jpg 2015-09-27_00002.jpg 2015-09-27_00003.jpg 2015-09-27_00004.jpg 2015-09-27_00005.jpg 2015-09-27_00006.jpg 2015-09-27_00007.jpg 2015-09-27_00008.jpg 2015-09-27_00009.jpg 2015-09-27_00010.jpg 2015-09-27_00011.jpg 2015-09-27_00012.jpg

Long time no update for me, but lots happening in game. They are in the process of completely changing the lighting/water/skybox and it looks fantastic. Only way to access it right now is through experimental mode (beta) and the chances of there being quite a few bugs is very likely, but you get to see new stuff before the public early access side.

Here's a little preview of the new water & skybox which finally contains the nearby planet that was shown in the loading screen for a while, they finally put it in.

2015-11-19_00004.jpg

And a little shot from under the surface:

2015-11-19_00005.jpg

Things are moving along nicely. :)

2015-11-19_00001.jpg

More updates have been made to the lighting and they've fixed most of the bugs that game with it. I think the new water/lighting update will be the next one.

2015-12-24_00004.jpg

2015-12-24_00005.jpg

If you've been keeping track of the development of this game via their Trello website (probably nobody here but me :lol:) you'd see some interesting tid-bits, including an iminent XB One announcement. Which I believe they will do at GDC this week. I think it's only XBOne for now and based on sales they will decide if a PS4 version is worth it. (hopefully)

In any case, they have been adding TONS of stuff lately to the game and it's feeling more and more complete every week. If you haven't picked it up yet and were waiting for a more complete game, now is a good time to jump in. 👍

Back