[PC] Subnautica - Under Water Survival (v1.0 out now!)

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 46 comments
The update has been great. I got into the game about 2 months ago. I thought it was a little too easy to get the Cyclops before the update. They sure did fix that. The update is nice though. Forces you to explore far more areas and far more in-depth. I'm hoping to see more flora and fauna before the final release though. Mostly in the flora and little fish creatures. I did see an image that had quite a few more of both on it. So I'm assuming there will be more.
The one thing that does make me a bit sad is that it isn't, nor from what I've read, will it be multiplayer. This would be a great game to play with my kid. Most of the online survival style games aren't exactly young child friendly environments, and I'm not that into the whole zombie thing anyway.
Any idea how early into development this is? Is it in beta, alpha or earlier than that even?

The update has been great. I got into the game about 2 months ago. I thought it was a little too easy to get the Cyclops before the update. They sure did fix that. The update is nice though. Forces you to explore far more areas and far more in-depth. I'm hoping to see more flora and fauna before the final release though. Mostly in the flora and little fish creatures. I did see an image that had quite a few more of both on it. So I'm assuming there will be more.
The one thing that does make me a bit sad is that it isn't, nor from what I've read, will it be multiplayer. This would be a great game to play with my kid. Most of the online survival style games aren't exactly young child friendly environments, and I'm not that into the whole zombie thing anyway.
Any idea how early into development this is? Is it in beta, alpha or earlier than that even?
It's been available for quite some time, not sure how long though. Here is a link to their best guess as to future updates and the v1.0 release. They seem to be aiming for an August release for the full version.

As far as multiplayer goes, they are focusing on getting the game complete right now and then will work on multiplayer. I guess they have a small staff and it would take up too much manpower to work on it at the moment.

12891060_10154070506051543_3360038191933172959_o.jpg

I picked this up the other day in the Steam sale, and... Well, I bought Doom yesterday and was going to play it tonight, but I decided to carry on exploring instead. I've not gotten far - tonight was spent zooming around with the little scooter thing and I ended by building a small home under the escape pod to store the huge amount of titanium I gathered while looking for silver - but I've been as far as the crashed ship and a sensible swimming distance around the pod. I think if I had more silver I'd be more inclined to just head off in one direction so I could make proper bases that can sustain me, but I don't yet so I'm happy to just stay put and branch out a little slower.

I picked this up the other day in the Steam sale, and... Well, I bought Doom yesterday and was going to play it tonight, but I decided to carry on exploring instead. I've not gotten far - tonight was spent zooming around with the little scooter thing and I ended by building a small home under the escape pod to store the huge amount of titanium I gathered while looking for silver - but I've been as far as the crashed ship and a sensible swimming distance around the pod. I think if I had more silver I'd be more inclined to just head off in one direction so I could make proper bases that can sustain me, but I don't yet so I'm happy to just stay put and branch out a little slower.
I haven't played in a while. Waiting for them to finish the Lost River area before I jump back in.

I also picked this up in the Steam sale, enjoying it a lot. It has its frustrations but it's keeping me hooked so far. I am avoiding spoilers so some of the radio signals are quite tantalising. After getting a basic system of survival in place and building a small base (initially for more storage) I made the rad suit and explored the crashed ship, inside and out, but once I was done I found the escape pod had drifted off quite a long way away over some very deep ocean.

That annoyed me a little but I eventually went back and forth between it and my base until I had the materials to make a new fabricator at my base, so I could effectively abandon the pod. As I just have the fins, I guess my next task is to build the seaglide, as well as make a mod station to upgrade my knife and a couple of other things. Neat game, and I've not even really explored the marine research side of it yet.

I also picked this up in the Steam sale, enjoying it a lot. It has its frustrations but it's keeping me hooked so far. I am avoiding spoilers so some of the radio signals are quite tantalising. After getting a basic system of survival in place and building a small base (initially for more storage) I made the rad suit and explored the crashed ship, inside and out, but once I was done I found the escape pod had drifted off quite a long way away over some very deep ocean.

That annoyed me a little but I eventually went back and forth between it and my base until I had the materials to make a new fabricator at my base, so I could effectively abandon the pod. As I just have the fins, I guess my next task is to build the seaglide, as well as make a mod station to upgrade my knife and a couple of other things. Neat game, and I've not even really explored the marine research side of it yet.

My escape pod drifted away too (not far, though, and actually closer to the base I made nearby) but I used my Seaglide to visit the ship and when I came back, it had reset. I haven't unlocked a mod station or anything like that really, just basic stuff so far. My base is ridiculous, I've got three rooms and the structural integrity is so compromised it has something like 2HP! The first room contains a whole load of lockers, a medkit thing, fabricator and an empty fish tank, the next room has an alien containment thing (just a big fish tank, really) which has a few plants and creatures in it, then I have my bioreactor in a room connected with a glass corridor and every panel inside is a window. Which is why my base is so weak. Yeah, the reactor room is basically swiss cheese...

Pipes are so useful, I had no idea until I tried to explore the heat signature that's like 200m deep. I died once because I ran out of air, so I used some pipes - ok, a lot of pipes, maybe 30 - to pump air down there instead of building a base, reactor and all that. Of course you have to keep going back for air, but it allowed me to explore the area completely. Not bad, considering how cheap they are. It took me a while to realise you can make them quite long.

I haven't fired the game up yet, but I guess there was just a pretty big update that adds tons of new rooms and items in the Aurora. They also put crashed escape pods in a few places. I'm going to try and get some time to check it out this weekend.

Edit: This may only be in the beta version though, not sure.

Haven't played this in a while as I was waiting for v1.0 to release, and it's finally out as of the other day. The developers are having a launch live stream tonight at 6:15pm PST HERE for those interested. 👍

Almost 3 year bump, but I'm considering getting Subnautica this weekend for my PS4. I think it will be a fun game to play when I'm taking a break from PCARS and GTS.

Latest Posts

Back