PC2 Career Thoughts

• Thread starter Leovizzz
  • 32 comments
Brazil
Curitiba
Hi everyone,

I've been playing GTS sport mode for the last year and the game is feeling a little empty as it has barely nothing to do other than online racing. I tried to find something interesting going back to GT6, but that one lacks challenge (regarding to AI). Anyways, I'm still looking for something to keep me entertained offline.

So I would like to hear your thoughts on the offline PC2 career – AI, difficulty, variety of events and everything that might be relevant – in comparison to GT Sport / GT6 / other racing games. Is it worth it? How long does it take to finish? I did play the demo and the physics feel great to me, but the AI seemed a little slow still.

You guys can find it ridiculous, but my benchmark of enjoyable/challenging career mode is Grid Autosport (!!!)

Bring it on!

Edit: I use A G29 wheel on PS4

Hi everyone,

I've been playing GTS sport mode for the last year and the game is feeling a little empty as it has barely nothing to do other than online racing. I tried to find something interesting going back to GT6, but that one lacks challenge (regarding to AI). Anyways, I'm still looking for something to keep me entertained offline.

So I would like to hear your thoughts on the offline PC2 career – AI, difficulty, variety of events and everything that might be relevant – in comparison to GT Sport / GT6 / other racing games. Is it worth it? How long does it take to finish? I did play the demo and the physics feel great to me, but the AI seemed a little slow still.

You guys can find it ridiculous, but my benchmark of enjoyable/challenging career mode is Grid Autosport (!!!)

Bring it on!

Hey mate, there's nothing wrong with liking Grid Autosport, it's awesome :)

Hi everyone,

Bring it on!

I'd describe it as fairly basic, but fine. I've attached a screenshot of the main Career Path screen you see when you create a new driver in career mode - start at the base Tier 6 (Formula Rookie (essentially Formula Ford, lovely entry level car to drive!), Karts, or Ginetta Junior) and work your way up by winning titles at each level. There's no buying cars or parts, there's no in game economy at all, so if that's your thing then it might not suit - personally this works perfectly for me.

There are also Invitational Events to unlock, both manufacturer based (drive enough laps in a particular manufacturers cars, and you'll get invited to take part in a set of events specific to that manufacturer) and generic - unlocked by reaching certain goals.

The main complaint I've seen about career mode is that the weather is scripted - ie, if you go back to, say, the Formula Rookie series you will always get the same weather at each race meeting. Doesn't bother me as I don't tend to revisit events, but might be an issue for you. The other issue is that AI is inconsistent from track to track, however you can change the difficulty and aggression settings for them at any time, so you can tailor it at every race meeting if you want. There's generally at least one free practice session at each meeting you run to get a feel for the AI at that track. They are also a bit quicker in qualifying than they are in race trim.

I use a pad on PC, so can't comment on wheel settings or PS4 performance - I'll leave that to others. Hopefully this is some help.

20200405235302_1.jpg

Hey mate, there's nothing wrong with liking Grid Autosport, it's awesome :)

Glad to hear! hahaha

I'd describe it as fairly basic, but fine. I've attached a screenshot of the main Career Path screen you see when you create a new driver in career mode - start at the base Tier 6 (Formula Rookie (essentially Formula Ford, lovely entry level car to drive!), Karts, or Ginetta Junior) and work your way up by winning titles at each level. There's no buying cars or parts, there's no in game economy at all, so if that's your thing then it might not suit - personally this works perfectly for me.

There are also Invitational Events to unlock, both manufacturer based (drive enough laps in a particular manufacturers cars, and you'll get invited to take part in a set of events specific to that manufacturer) and generic - unlocked by reaching certain goals.

The main complaint I've seen about career mode is that the weather is scripted - ie, if you go back to, say, the Formula Rookie series you will always get the same weather at each race meeting. Doesn't bother me as I don't tend to revisit events, but might be an issue for you. The other issue is that AI is inconsistent from track to track, however you can change the difficulty and aggression settings for them at any time, so you can tailor it at every race meeting if you want. There's generally at least one free practice session at each meeting you run to get a feel for the AI at that track. They are also a bit quicker in qualifying than they are in race trim.

I use a pad on PC, so can't comment on wheel settings or PS4 performance - I'll leave that to others. Hopefully this is some help.

View attachment 906114

This is a lot helpful, thanks a lot!

I do like this career progression, it fits on the GAS standard model. I also don't mind about the repeating weather, even if I go back to older events. It's good to hear that the career AI is adjustable: that's the major incredible issue with every single GT game.

I'll wait for some more answers to seal the deal though! PC2 + all DLCs is on sale at PS Store for 49,48 BRL (original price = 329,90 BRL) til the end of the month.

Hi everyone,

Bring it on!

I completely agree with Greg. The career mode has nothing revolutionary, but is really enjoyable if you spend some time on it. When you think the main thing about PC2 is the immersion factor, the career has it as you combine the gleeful feeling of living a real race weekend, with free practice, qualifying and race with (especially in endurance) day-night cycles and weather.

Another important point to consider is that you can customize your career as you can shorten the length of the season when you don't want to spend too much time in a category, and shorten the length of a race if you don't want to race for 24 hours on Le Mans, which is understandable.

And there is also, apart from the career, the customizable races (same as in GT6 and GTS but I find it much more enjoyable) in which you can adjust pretty much everything (length, season and day, grid size, difficulty, mandatory pit stops, evolutive weather, time acceleration, categories of cars you want on track etc), where I spend most of my time now on PC2.

I strongly recommend

Hey @Leovizzz!

I just came to PC2 from Gran Turismo Sport as well! Online racing in GT is very fun, but I cannot race for too long as it is too stressful for me after around 10 races a week.

The difficulty is pretty adjustable. I now race at 65 (out of 120) and increase it by 5 after each win, as I didn't find my perfect spot in terms of AI yet. I think the little problem for me is the difficulty of some invitational events which feature rain conditions. At some point of such races the road gets so slippery it is hard to control your car even driving at slower speed than usual, while AI is going past you like nothing is happening to them. And yes, it is while using wet tires.

Two races in career mode with rain conditions somehow weren't that hard, at least after putting on wet tires the car was pretty easy to control.

I picked this game due to amazing choices of tracks and weather conditions, and after around 10 hours I still feel like I only scratched the surface of it. I truly enjoy it and recommend you to try it despite some little issues here and there. Even more so with the wheel (I use DS4 with gyro to steer).

One more thing you should know is that right now the deluxe edition with DLCs included is on sale as well, but it DOESN’T include Japanese Cars pack.

Last edited:
the customizable races
I was just going to mention this. :)

The "quick races" that's all I use. In the few years I've had it I've never ventured into the career mode. Racing what you want, where you want and under what conditions you want fulfills all my needs.

PC2 + all DLCs is on sale at PS Store for 49,48 BRL
A bargain I'd say. And I use a G29. ;)

The one thing I'd add is if you do buy it take some time to get used to the game. Don't judge it straight away since it might take a little adjustment after GT. Take it steady with some slower cars in summer and in the dry before you venture into the faster beasts. :)

Last edited:
Another important point to consider is that you can customize your career as you can shorten the length of the season when you don't want to spend too much time in a category, and shorten the length of a race if you don't want to race for 24 hours on Le Mans, which is understandable.
Sounds like a cool feature, but I think I missed this both times I started new seasons! Do you by any chance remember on which screen you can choose this? I have 5 races per championship, I guess it is a shorter version of the season?

Sounds like a cool feature, but I think I missed this both times I started new seasons! Do you by any chance remember on which screen you can choose this? I have 5 races per championship, I guess it is a shorter version of the season?
You can choose the amount of laps/race distance, practice on/off/lengh, qualifying on/off/lengh regardless of short/long championships.

You access these options before you actually start the session, if after a race I think you can enter career options to change it before the start of the next race.

Also regarding wet weather driving, the AI use a simpler tyre model compared to the player so they can drive through puddles. However they are slower in a straight line & in corners in the wet so there's some compensation.

The trick with wet weather is avoid the normal racing line(especially if there's a puddle on the inside of a corner), if possible on a straight lift off the accelerator a bit (about 25-50%) when you go through a big puddle so you don't spin up the wheels & start sliding (don't lift off completely then bang the accelerator again) & try not turn to much to compensate a slide because when you get grip again it could snap.

This is me in a lambo, against AI @100/100 in a storm using a controller with no TC/SC only ABS on low

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Bring it on!

I like the career mode in PC2 a lot. It really makes you feel like you are a pro driver competing in a weekend long race event. I really enjoy the AI. While not perfect, they are the best AI I faced on the PS4. Depending on how rusty I am and the track, I usually can't have the AI difficulty above 85. It is satisfying pushing yourself in qualifying just to end up P5.

You can choose between Long and Short season lengths on the same screen where you select the individual championship(usually choosing between North American or European championships or similar, and then later confirming the major second championship). If I remember right it's somewhere in the top right of the screen? 5 races is usually the long version, but there's a shorter option for generally 2-3 races to get through it quicker.

Just an advice, don't set up really long races if you find yourself enjoying high AI aggressiveness. Those guys do not break sometimes, especially if reason to break is you, struggling with a corner.

Just an advice, don't set up really long races if you find yourself enjoying high AI aggressiveness. Those guys do not break sometimes, especially if reason to break is you, struggling with a corner.
They're less aggressive with full damage on as opposed to performance impacting even at 100%

Compare that to visual only or none where they'll just ram you off the road.

The downside of full damage is your car is made of eggshells, any slight bump will start to hamper performance.

I run over 4 or 5 traffic cones & instantly got 10% front damage, lost power so I couldn't catch up, Nascar with full damage is a lottery at best, for a sport which has light rubbing in real life, a slight 1 or 2mph bump against the car in front or getting nudged from the rear can be 5% at a time.

Definitely think they should make the cars a little stronger in PCR. Try the Group 5 against AI 100/100 with full damage at Bannockbrea, great survival challenge :)

My very first PC2 video :)

It's more about surviving the track than the AI

Last edited:
They're less aggressive with full damage on as opposed to performance impacting even at 100%

Compare that to visual only or none where they'll just ram you off the road.

Just recently raced in career, GT3, Road America, exactly that race which starts with a rain, have then it stops for a while and starts again. Since AI reacts only on rain, they start go full speed in the middle of the race. Guess what, you couldn't do the same. Full damage and no survivals at thunder alley:).

Yep, mixed conditions are absolutely the worst. I'm nearly convinced(have been since PC1 which had similar behavior) that the AI does not actually use rain tires at all, they just come in for show and to make a fair time equivalency for your stop. So any time it is in-between wet and dry they use a blend between their dry pace and wet pace which does not in any way correspond to your condition. It really is unfortunate that rain effects are done so incredibly well in this game but completely ruin races with the AI, making things either un-winnable or un-losable.

And aero damage is incredibly sensitive, both to receive damage from tiny taps and to have massive speed drops as a result of single-digit damage. "Rubbin's Racin'" is very not recommended in this game. It's really forgiving when it comes to big crashes that should take you out completely though.

I find aggression has surprisingly little to do with how much they run you over however. It seems more related to how quickly they give up when they are already alongside, and *maybe* how likely they are to pull out of line. Most AI contacts I've observed seem more related to them just having no concept that you are even there and an inability to react to the slight differences in their line versus yours(particularly where they are quite willing to dive completely off the track for each other). And of course when their pace is wildly different than yours like on a drying track or when you have an awkward moment that can be a recipe for disaster.

I've had them drive like homicidal maniacs on 40 aggression, murdering me over and over and over not to mention all the times I successfully avoided their insanity... and had perfectly respectful but intense close battles with them at 80 aggression with almost no contact. I haven't run much above 80 so maybe it gets wacky at 90 or above, but many of the worst things they do seem largely unrelated to that slider. There are a few places like Algarve turn one where their general passing lines are completely unacceptable that you do have to watch out for, but even at low aggression they still seem plenty willing to stuff it in there no matter how stupid a move it is.

Biggest problem I've been having lately in long races outside of career(and I run really long when I can) has been their pace dropping off at a ridiculous rate over their stint. It seems like you almost have to set them too fast to keep up with on fresh tires, as half-way through a fuel load you'll be running the same pace and they will be 3 or 4 seconds a lap slower since their tires seem to drain as fast as their fuel. That and Bob not passing anybody in our class(still not sure if this is always an issue or an intermittent one). And clicking on View Replay after a long race causing the race to restart.

This is true they have only one set of tires, because recently raced historic Spa multi class full grid. Set up random November weather, and it turned out fog-rain-snow-blizzard. Since pit zone there is too small, some of them didn't changed at all, and their lap times didn't changed either. Some of them finished on Slicks.

To add there also was an evening to night phase, just imagine how real person will struggle with it alone, and here foggy raining night that AI totally ignore.

Just my Opinion.

If you have a Wheel and its on sale I think its PCars 2 is a must have on Console.

The game is in some ways the best Console racer. Certanly the one with the most options, tracks, cars and so on. IMO Physics is better than GT sport, but not as good as Assetto Corsa. Graphics are good but not as beatyfull as GT Sport.

Some parts of the game is a litle anoying. Inconsisty with AI, slow loading times, too many races in extreme rain ( IMO) and a few others things.

The Career is well done. Its no way as good as F1 games. PCars 2 Career it may feel a litle like its just a lot of random race weekends that are tied together in a career path. But there are tons of options with a lot of diversety in car classess and tracks used.

Also The AI is ok for an AI. No games really have a good AI that can compare to humans. They can be anoying at times. But mostly if you find the right Speed for them the races are fun. I love to spend long times on each event. Trying to push the AI speed further towards +100. When I started most races I did at 70. Now I am doing most at 100 and sometimes higher.

Its really fun when you arive at practise session at a new car and track combo, and you are very slow, and then spend a few hours learing the track and car, and just see your lap times decrease as you learn the combo :-)

Also If you are really interested in games with good carreer then you should look into F1 games. Those have the best carreer IMO. But like all the other games its not perfect. Not as good a sim, limited car choises and so on, but still a good game if you own a wheel, and need something to pair it with :-)

Last edited:
I just recently bought PC2. I waited this long because I bought PC1 at release amd it was so buggy and unplayable with a controller. After a few patches I sadly gave up on it. But so far PC2 has been amazing, surely it jas something to do with me finally having a steering wheel again, but its also way less buggy (probably also because I'm 3 years and many patches late to the party, but still).

Anyway, yes buy this game if you're into sim racers. It's amazing.

Today completed that 24 hours of LeMans race within Endurance world championship. Everything was smooth, except broken LMP2 class in general.

Ok, I can understand LMP1 pitting so often, like every 5 laps they all been in pits, they still managed to overtake everyone on 3 laps. But LMP2, not only I was in GTE car always nearly behind their pack, after pits one of them managed to push me off track on straight, even though no maneuvers came from me, or something. I was lucky, guys behind started scheduled pits, so I didn't lost positions or too much time recovering, and didn't hit any wall.

Also, small tip, if you win this race in GTE car, you will still get it count as a prototype win. Son in general you don't need riding any prototype for a trophy. I do get open wheel check for karts.

So, started Indy 500 full length 200 laps. Though it would be nice to split 50 laps with AI because simply have some time to rest and purely for entertaining purpose. At the beginning everything was promising, no weather change, no brainers with lines and complicated turns and such. But no, nearly lap 10 and AI opponent decided to cut me off on outside exit. Ok, to the pits, repairing and back to the fight. Time came to change tires, but pit crew forget as usual to do so, lap 30, doing another pit on 31, finally got new tires. On lap 50 there was a time to swap driver, I though it would be fun, but no, it wasn't. Not only AI lost 3 positions by exiting pits on very low speed, he managed to lost another 10 just for two laps, by being generally very slow, like not competitive at all. Ok, pit after 3 laps, and what do you know, the option to swap drivers is must be checked every pit. Now I know, pit on next lap, got into car. Nearly to lap 80 did made a mistake and came to pits above speed limit - 10 seconds penalty, fair, ok. On lap 100 my team mate on another car blocked me mid corner, blocked so hard, that I had 100 damage of aero again. Going slowly to pits, and then, my mistake again, because of aero didn't managed to properly understand breaking distance and DNF. Was so close, lol.

So, started Indy 500 full length 200 laps. Though it would be nice to split 50 laps with AI because simply have some time to rest and purely for entertaining purpose. At the beginning everything was promising, no weather change, no brainers with lines and complicated turns and such. But no, nearly lap 10 and AI opponent decided to cut me off on outside exit. Ok, to the pits, repairing and back to the fight. Time came to change tires, but pit crew forget as usual to do so, lap 30, doing another pit on 31, finally got new tires. On lap 50 there was a time to swap driver, I though it would be fun, but no, it wasn't. Not only AI lost 3 positions by exiting pits on very low speed, he managed to lost another 10 just for two laps, by being generally very slow, like not competitive at all. Ok, pit after 3 laps, and what do you know, the option to swap drivers is must be checked every pit. Now I know, pit on next lap, got into car. Nearly to lap 80 did made a mistake and came to pits above speed limit - 10 seconds penalty, fair, ok. On lap 100 my team mate on another car blocked me mid corner, blocked so hard, that I had 100 damage of aero again. Going slowly to pits, and then, my mistake again, because of aero didn't managed to properly understand breaking distance and DNF. Was so close, lol.

Yes, the driver swap option turns off after you pit, so that if you put Bob in and go away he'll just do his own thing forever until you manually tell it you want to get back in. Unfortunately he does seem to be somewhat slow as a rule(but I've also seen him be faster than the other bots... his pace seems to vary just like theirs do). My problem with him has been refusal to pass anybody in our class(for position - he'll pass lapped cars) even if they are slow, which really makes him just a seat filler in an endurance race -- although in a class where all the cars are roughly even pace it won't be as bad. I don't know for sure it's always like that, but it has been the same twice so far. If you're using him you just have to plan on him losing time, and consider it a bonus when he gains on the leaders.

I'd never use Bob for an oval race even if he did fight properly though. You have to be so consistent for those it would be a nightmare to balance unless the other bots were turtles. I'm not sure how they behave on ovals anyway, haven't tried it.

Another thing to keep in mind if you do use the AI driver swap in longer races: Make sure you set his pit strategy to use Automatic by Weather tires, and force tire changes on for all wheels. If you don't force the change they might not change tires when they should, and if you have it set to use slicks but it starts raining, he will pit every lap because he wants rain tires but they'll never put them on(and the same problem when it dries). At least that was how it worked in PC1, I don't expect it to have changed. If he's only doing one stint you can tell him to use the tires you want instead of Automatic, but you'll have to keep an eye on him in case it does rain.

Most people advise having the tire change forced on anyway, I don't know if anyone trusts the recommended option to work right. If you don't want tires use another strategy with no tire change or set it in the ICM before you stop. If you've changed things and want to switch to Bob you need to be sure you change everything back, so it may be better to just have a general strategy to have him use(but remember to select it before pitting and change to what you want when you are taking back over).

The bots in general drive very slowly both into and out of the pit lane, which helps you make up considerable time when you all stop. But of course Bob drives like all the other bots.

I understand all of that, but this really makes Bob useless in any way. He got an advantage about a lap and he lost it miserably only by exiting pit line, at exactly portion where is no speed limit. Dunno about other races, but I'm now sure and aware anyone - not on Indy 500. Just save your time.

As for the strategy, as usual no matter settings, they could and eventually would ignore to change them at some point. Really advice to not wait for the very last moment, and separate refueling and tires changes.

So, I have endured that chaos of 200 laps in Indianapolis, me and only 15 survivors. It was not only a hell, but a scrapyard at the end. Dunno how most of AI killed each other, but witnessed and also participated in two key moments of the race.

First come from nowhere, AI from faster pace, that has lapped two other guys, happened between them. On the last turn before finish, he attempted to overtake on outside, but guy from behind blocked his way, and guy in front slammed breaks. This happened when I have approached only beginning of the corner. All three, few seconds after, appeared in pits. DNF.

Second was hard, especially for me. I didn't see it coming, because no yellow flag or something, but there was an accident. The last AI guy participated in this was somehow outside of corner at very right. He let his AI pals to pass and did that exactly pro move to drive to safe line of the track. He did it exactly in front of me. I did lost my left wheel in the process, I was lucky, there was no game ender behind me, so I did made to safe line on threes and slowly drove to pit stop. That guy retired from the track, DNF.

2+ hours, got a trophy, but definitely will never go for an Indy race ever again. Fair to mention my pit crew this time, only one pit failure for the race, didn't caught what was that, but heard something about electronics, and tiers changed every pit.

So, I have endured that chaos of 200 laps in Indianapolis, me and only 15 survivors. It was not only a hell, but a scrapyard at the end. Dunno how most of AI killed each other, but witnessed and also participated in two key moments of the race.

First come from nowhere, AI from faster pace, that has lapped two other guys, happened between them. On the last turn before finish, he attempted to overtake on outside, but guy from behind blocked his way, and guy in front slammed breaks. This happened when I have approached only beginning of the corner. All three, few seconds after, appeared in pits. DNF.

Second was hard, especially for me. I didn't see it coming, because no yellow flag or something, but there was an accident. The last AI guy participated in this was somehow outside of corner at very right. He let his AI pals to pass and did that exactly pro move to drive to safe line of the track. He did it exactly in front of me. I did lost my left wheel in the process, I was lucky, there was no game ender behind me, so I did made to safe line on threes and slowly drove to pit stop. That guy retired from the track, DNF.

2+ hours, got a trophy, but definitely will never go for an Indy race ever again. Fair to mention my pit crew this time, only one pit failure for the race, didn't caught what was that, but heard something about electronics, and tiers changed every pit.

Somehow I'm not surprised by that, good job making it through in -almost- one piece. :tup

I long expected if I try something similar I'll just make them be slow so I can drive in peace. There's plenty of other battles to make close and intense, and they're just too brutal for open wheel cars. I remember trying Monte Carlo with no experience in Formula A on PC1 shortly before I got started with PC2 and it was hilarious... they were miles faster than me but I almost won the race because almost the whole field DNF'ed after 20 laps. I don't think half of them made 10 lol.

Somehow I'm not surprised by that, good job making it through in -almost- one piece. :tup

I long expected if I try something similar I'll just make them be slow so I can drive in peace. There's plenty of other battles to make close and intense, and they're just too brutal for open wheel cars. I remember trying Monte Carlo with no experience in Formula A on PC1 shortly before I got started with PC2 and it was hilarious... they were miles faster than me but I almost won the race because almost the whole field DNF'ed after 20 laps. I don't think half of them made 10 lol.

Lowering difficulty is mandatory choice, otherwise you have to be that good to catch up with unforgiving AI. It's oval racing, so every minute is a lap, and you actually have to be like at least 1/4 of the lap faster to catch up after every emergency pit stop.

Monte Carlo is my favourite track, I liked to run group A races there, because cars are tiny enough to have space for everything there. But I never saw a race with out massive traffic jam and crashes on Mirabeau Bas. They just can't handle it.

Latest Posts

Back