PC2 v PC1PS4 

• Thread starter slthree
  • 78 comments
Please leave them here. @Wolfe's ones just didn't work for me. (PC1's defaults worked fine in that game.)

Here you go matey:

Steering deadzone: 4
Steering sensitivity: 40
Throttle/brake deadzone: 0
Throttle/brake sensitivity: 50/50
Speed sensitivity: 30
Controller damping: 0

This tweak I believe works great for precision driving and drifting. May take getting used to. As always, try it out on a variety of cars with different tunes and experiment with steering ratio in the tuning menu.

Remember, it's easy to "overdrive" or overturn the front wheels with this setup, so give yourself time to get accustomed to the inputs. Let me know how this works out! :D

I would also agree that on simple level PC1 is easier to get used to.

PC2 is much more challenging to get settings adjusted to what works for you. FOV for me is one of the first priority settings to adjust. I still struggle with PC2 to get the feel to be right for me, however it's okay and acceptable usually. It is also difficult going back n forth between GTS and PC2. The Lemans car pack and Porsche car pack are nice. I primarily only use a few tracks, but they are good. Ford GT race car similar one to what was just added to GTS for me is one of the easiest cars to drive especially if using controller. I like the challenge of just being able to finish a race and or try and improve a few spots or sometimes just 1 with each lap. With being able to set A.I. difficult you can make it as easy or challenging as you want. Project Cars is definitely not plug in play and I hope it stays that way. With that being said there should be more options, simpler ways to find settings that on basic level should be good straight upon starting the game.

I would also agree that on simple level PC1 is easier to get used to.

PC2 is much more challenging to get settings adjusted to what works for you. FOV for me is one of the first priority settings to adjust. I still struggle with PC2 to get the feel to be right for me, however it's okay and acceptable usually. It is also difficult going back n forth between GTS and PC2. The Lemans car pack and Porsche car pack are nice. I primarily only use a few tracks, but they are good. Ford GT race car similar one to what was just added to GTS for me is one of the easiest cars to drive especially if using controller. I like the challenge of just being able to finish a race and or try and improve a few spots or sometimes just 1 with each lap. With being able to set A.I. difficult you can make it as easy or challenging as you want. Project Cars is definitely not plug in play and I hope it stays that way. With that being said there should be more options, simpler ways to find settings that on basic level should be good straight upon starting the game.

This made me appreciate the game even more because that meant a tall learning curve, which is something I love about my racing games.

On the other hand, a basic or "ready to go" driving model option is always welcome. I'm sure they will have it in PCARS-R, but I'm also hoping to see a simulation experience that surpasses AC and real car sounds this time - as in, no low-quality/compressed samples or any nonsense like that.

I'm sorry but I'm still having trouble turning the first corner without spinning out. I'm going to forget about PC2 and go back to other games with more forgiving learning curves. Luckily this game was on sale when I bought it.

I'm sorry but I'm still having trouble turning the first corner without spinning out. I'm going to forget about PC2 and go back to other games with more forgiving learning curves. Luckily this game was on sale when I bought it.
That's a shame mate, what controller settings did you end up with may I ask

Although I don't think it's the controller that's your issue as I do believe this game is a bit over the top with oversteer when coming off the brakes.

I can tell you 4 basic settings that I change 1st (to extreme levels of understeer) to counteract this issue, then just work backwards individually till your happy.

The good thing is that you can make all cars understeer & oversteer, on & off throttle with a few basic tweaks.

Now I must run because I can see the purists coming with their pitchforks :)

Last edited:
That's a shame mate, what controller settings did you end up with may I ask
I tried Wolfe's and Speedster911's. Not sure whether there's an option to go back to default settings. Maybe I should try and go back to PC1 and copy the settings from that game. Perhaps it's just that the tyres aren't warmed up yet.

Thank you all for your willingness to help. I'm really grateful for your advice and any fault is almost certainly my own. PC2 sounds like a superb game and I hope you all enjoy playing it.

I tried Wolfe's and Speedster911's. Not sure whether there's an option to go back to default settings. Maybe I should try and go back to PC1 and copy the settings from that game. Perhaps it's just that the tyres aren't warmed up yet.

Thank you all for your willingness to help. I'm really grateful for your advice and any fault is almost certainly my own. PC2 sounds like a superb game and I hope you all enjoy playing it.

Edit above.

It's not your fault mate, it is a higher learning curve than most but can be improved with a few tweaks.

The AI don't suffer tyre wear at all (they only pit for fuel, damage & different compounds per weather) so if your only racing the AI then turn off tyre wear in the option & slap the softest tyre option on

Last edited:
I was in the same exact situation as you. As a controller user driving road cars such as the Mclaren 720s, Z06, LaFerrari, etc. were so twitchy and unstable I could barely even keep it straight without swerving back and forth or spinning out (race cars more forgiving due to being on slick tires and downforce). After alot of controller setting tweaking help from users here and practice I've got it down. The game to me is great, I'm loving it, its miles ahead of GTSport and I can't even go back to it after playing PC2. Keep at it, its well worth it. Do you have stability control on? And make sure your tires get up to temperature, driving on cold tires will be challenging.

Last edited:
@UKMikey if you come back to it at any point try this.

75 (I suggest you start at 95 & work backwards)
0 (I know this looks odd but I do believe controller damping does more harm than good, trust me)

Also 4 basic settings,
Raise engine braking settings, high number = off
LSD preload as high as possible (500)
Front anti roll bar as high as possible,
Lower rear anti roll bar as low as possible.

Probably won't get round the corner now :lol: but you can reduce them individually until you're happy.

What are you using? A controller or wheel. This does take time to get used to. It's not a pick up and play game.

The AI don't suffer tyre wear at all (they only pit for fuel, damage & different compounds per weather) so if your only racing the AI then turn off tyre wear in the option & slap the softest tyre option on
That is really disappointing that AI dont suffer from tire wear. That makes endurance races dumbed down. Also arent hard slicks better in hotter weather and soft slicks for colder weather? I use default by weather and it always has hard slick when track temps are hotter.

That is really disappointing that AI dont suffer from tire wear. That makes endurance races dumbed down. Also arent hard slicks better in hotter weather and soft slicks for colder weather? I use default by weather and it always has hard slick when track temps are hotter.
Yes it's true, but they still have less grip, soft's in hot weather will overheat & wear out quickly so by turning off tyre wear, raising the pressure slightly & keeping brake ducts open (on the tyres that overheat) will combat this against the AI, no good against humans online with real rules though, unless you set up a fun arcade lobby.

Last edited:
Now that we're talking about controller settings, I've noticed taking long sweeping turns (not hairpins or sharp corners) I'm taking a perfect racing line, going into the turn at proper speed but the AI is always faster around the turn, it's almost like my wheels aren't turning in enough. I'm pushing my car to the limit but its like my car cant go any faster even though I'm going as fast as possible while holding the race line, yet the AI is faster and will pull away. Or sometimes I have to let off throttle a bit to keep the line while the AI just pulls away or is right on my rear. I'm using the same tire compound as the AI I assume. Can this be corrected in a setting for controller?

Now that we're talking about controller settings, I've noticed taking long sweeping turns (not hairpins or sharp corners) I'm taking a perfect racing line, going into the turn at proper speed but the AI is always faster around the turn, it's almost like my wheels aren't turning in enough. I'm pushing my car to the limit but its like my car cant go any faster even though I'm going as fast as possible while holding the race line, yet the AI is faster and will pull away. Or sometimes I have to let off throttle a bit to keep the line while the AI just pulls away or is right on my rear. I'm using the same tire compound as the AI. Can this be corrected in a setting for controller?
The AI are just simply faster in some corners than you but slower in others, you've just got to take advantage of it as & when.

AI at 100 on the red bull ring, I'm quicker in sectors 1 & 2 but the AI pull it back in sector 3

Simple tyre model that don't wear out :)

Last edited:
Edit above.

It's not your fault mate, it is a higher learning curve than most but can be improved with a few tweaks.

Are you sure about this? I've googled and read about AI tire wear and found this among others supporting that it has it.
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?54810-Is-the-AI-affected-by-accelerated-tyre-wear

But I've also read other results which supports your reply. I've read AI dont pit for tire changes other than for weather changes (switching to rain tires or back to slicks), or after X amount of laps the player noticed a decrease in their lap times due to tire wear while the AI keeps setting the same consistent lap times no matter how many laps completed. :boggled:

Are you sure about this? I've googled and read about AI tire wear and found this among others supporting that it has it.
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?54810-Is-the-AI-affected-by-accelerated-tyre-wear

But I've also read the other answers which supports your reply. I've read AI dont pit for tire changes other than for weather change (switching to rain tires or back to slicks), or after X amount of laps the player noticed a decrease in their lap times due to tire wear while the AI keeps setting the same consistent lap times no matter how many laps completed. :boggled:
Start a race then retire & choose to monitor the race, choose 1 of the AI to follow with the hud on, you'll see the fuel deplete but no tyre wear, even with accelerated tyre wear on.

If you want, why don't you try it with accelerated tyre wear 1st just to see when you would need to pit, then do the above.

Unless it only happens in career mode, not quick race (which is where I noticed it) as I was trying to set up a tyre/fuel strategy race.

Come to think of it the career mode is scripted so, the AI are probably scripted to pit on certain Laps regardless of their tyre state just to make it look interesting.

Last edited:
Do you mean disable?
I know nothing about career mode other than it's scripted, so I don't know what options you have in it, I haven't started it yet :)

No I meant enable as if they pit in career mode then you would need tyre wear = on as otherwise you would have the advantage of not needing to pit for tyres...? But then I suppose you might need to pit anyway for fuel. Forgive me I haven't played the game enough, I'm just trying to learn from experienced players such as yourself for when I do give it my full attention :)

No I meant enable as if they pit in career mode then you would need tyre wear = on as otherwise you would have the advantage of not needing to pit for tyres...? But then I suppose you might need to pit anyway for fuel. Forgive me I haven't played the game enough, I'm just trying to learn from experienced players such as yourself for when I do give it my full attention :)
I assume but could be wrong that any changes you make in options to tire wear/fuel consumption etc. effects AI as well in Career mode, therefore if you turn tire wear/fuel consumption off it would effect AI as well so they wouldn't need to to pit either, which wouldn't be giving you a big advantage. Dont take my word though.

To test this I suppose you could turn off fuel consumption in options, then start a career race, retire to pit box, then choose to monitor the race and watch an AI racers hud data to see if their fuel decreases or not.

Last edited:
Do you mean disable?
I know nothing about career mode other than it's scripted, so I don't know what options you have in it, I haven't started it yet :)
There aren't a bunch of options in the career mode dashboard menu, the only thing you can change is AI difficulty and aggression. That's why I assume the options from the main menu such as tire wear and fuel consumption carry over to AI in career mode (I know they do for you). You can however change and tweak your controller settings, camera view settings, drivings aids like ABS/TC/stability control, audio settings, display settings, etc. from the pause menu while racing in game in Career mode, or in the pit box before the race under options (I can't remember which, I'll check next time I'm on).

You really should try career, I've had a blast. You start out picking a car/signing with a team. I started out from the bottom career path with Ginetta Juniors series, then worked my way to the GT4 series, then Lambo Trofeo, then GT3, and now just started the Endurance series which is multi class (Lmp1, Lmp2, GTE). I chose to sign my contract with Corvette Racing (my favorite team) in the #3 C7.R. In all series you can practice or qualify if you want then set the length you want to race for. Most of my races were set for 10 to 12 min because my lack of free time, and I chose the "long schedule" which has more tracks on the schedule. The endurance series has a minimum of 30 min races.

There are many different career path styles of racing and types of cars you can choose to go through, advancing and branching off into other series. I've had a blast, and it's fun moving up the ranks from amateur series into pro.

https://www.projectcarsgame.com/03-career-mode/?lang=en-us

Last edited:

Well, tough luck. I actually find more consistencies between PCARS1 pad control and AC pad control.

In fact, I find the driving in AC to be a lot more consistent on controller than PCARS2. Let me see if I can find another preset for you. It just takes a while to get used to, and what may work for one car may not work for another. Also, you'd have to stick to a base pad tune and then tune ALL your cars around that.

Well, tough luck. I actually find more consistencies between PCARS1 pad control and AC pad control.

In fact, I find the driving in AC to be a lot more consistent on controller than PCARS2. Let me see if I can find another preset for you. It just takes a while to get used to, and what may work for one car may not work for another. Also, you'd have to stick to a base pad tune and then tune ALL your cars around that.
Thanks @Speedster911 - I will have a look at the threads.

Thanks @Speedster911 - I will have a look at the threads.
I was frustrated with the controller settings but stick with it, it's well worth it in the end once you tweak the settings that work for you. Like I said before I cant even go back to playing GTSport after playing PC2. All the features and the physics and overall gameplay is so much better. GTSport is much easier with a controller/gamepad but besides that it's a huge step back in all other areas. And I've been a lifelong GT fan.

Start a race then retire & choose to monitor the race, choose 1 of the AI to follow with the hud on, you'll see the fuel deplete but no tyre wear, even with accelerated tyre wear on.

AI uses a different tire model than the player. The tire widget in the telemetry HUD won't work for them, but this doesn't mean there's no AI tire wear.
Doug was the main AI programmer for PCARS 2, so if he says AI suffers from tire wear, it certainly does.

Come to think of it the career mode is scripted so, the AI are probably scripted to pit on certain Laps regardless of their tyre state just to make it look interesting.

Nope. The only scripted part in career mode is the weather conditions.

AI uses a different tire model than the player. The tire widget in the telemetry HUD won't work for them, but this doesn't mean there's no AI tire wear.
Doug was the main AI programmer for PCARS 2, so if he says AI suffers from tire wear, it certainly does.

Nope. The only scripted part in career mode is the weather conditions.
Do you know if changing tire wear/fuel consumption in the main menu options if it effects AI in career mode as well? For example if I turn fuel consumption off will that turn it off for AI in Career mode too?

Back