PC2 v PC1PS4 

• Thread starter slthree
  • 78 comments
AI uses a different tire model than the player. The tire widget in the telemetry HUD won't work for them, but this doesn't mean there's no AI tire wear.
Doug was the main AI programmer for PCARS 2, so if he says AI suffers from tire wear, it certainly does.

Nope. The only scripted part in career mode is the weather conditions.
Well then I guess their tyres last longer than the average bear.

Looks like I'ma doing a few test's tonight aye booboo.

Test 1
V8 Supercars
Red Bull Ring
Default season summer
Static time 12:00
Accelerated tyre wear
Fuel real
Default setup (hard slicks) apart from a full tank of fuel
1hr 30min race
Conclusion, both me & some of the AI needed to pit for fuel after an hour before needing tyres (admittedly they were shot to pieces, probably could've got another 5 laps out of them), AI seem to split into 3 groups, 1/3 full tank, 1/3 3 quarters of a tank & 1/3 half a tank.

Now I have a benchmark

Test 2 tomorrow night, same settings as above but a 3hr race & I'm going to turn fuel off & see if they pit like me after an hour (for tyres) or carry on without stopping.

Last edited:
I was frustrated with the controller settings but stick with it, it's well worth it in the end once you tweak the settings that work for you. Like I said before I cant even go back to playing GTSport after playing PC2. All the features and the physics and overall gameplay is so much better. GTSport is much easier with a controller/gamepad but besides that it's a huge step back in all other areas. And I've been a lifelong GT fan.

I can totally relate to this. I don't own GTS but when I play PCARS2 I just don't feel like going back to Forza 7 for a while because the control seems like its scripted and almost on-rails. It's just not challenging or rewarding. However, when I play AC for a few hours I feel like neither going back to PCARS2 nor Forza! :lol::lol:

The PC1 price is so tempting but Im a controller player, does this make it not worth it ? How bad is it ?

It's nowhere near as slick and refined as GT Sport and Forza Motorsport 7's controller support but it's still very good!

I've owned it on PC for about 1 year now and use my Xbox One controller to play it with, it's very nice and more than good enough, but doesn't have the extra mile of polish in feel that Forza and GT have. Still, I throughly recomened it if that's all that's holding you back.

It's nowhere near as slick and refined as GT Sport and Forza Motorsport 7's controller support but it's still very good!

I've owned it on PC for about 1 year now and use my Xbox One controller to play it with, it's very nice and more than good enough, but doesn't have the extra mile of polish in feel that Forza and GT have. Still, I throughly recomened it if that's all that's holding you back.

Thanks. I did buy it but haven't played it yet. Do you mind sharing your settings ?

I can totally relate to this. I don't own GTS but when I play PCARS2 I just don't feel like going back to Forza 7 for a while because the control seems like its scripted and almost on-rails. It's just not challenging or rewarding. However, when I play AC for a few hours I feel like neither going back to PCARS2 nor Forza! :lol::lol:
Atleast Forza has a great car lineup, sounds, features, etc. GTSport to me feels like a demo half finished game and has less features than previous GT titles on PS3 (lack of dynamic time change/weather, no performance or visual car mods like GT5, missing alot of iconic and relevant cars, low track list and missing alot of iconic tracks, etc. etc.) GTSport feels bare bones and sterile. The only thing it has going for it over PC2 imo is more user friendly/smoother controller handling (I'm not talking about physics), better graphics, and multiplayer (minus the bad penalty system). I've been a lifelong GT fan but have been disappointed since GT5, and would love to have Forza on Playstation. I do get what your saying about Forza physics compared to PC2, almost simcade like GT from what I've heard, I haven't played Forza.

Last edited:
Thanks. I did buy it but haven't played it yet. Do you mind sharing your settings ?

I’m using the total bog standard settings for the controller, everything on sim with the exception of (I believe they’re named this) stability control & ABS are on a smidge.

Well I hold my hands up & apologies, it seems they do have tyre wear & it degrades within the same time as us.

Using the above settings without fuel they all came in for tyres like me after an hour.

@Bealdor & Doug the AI programmer :bowdown: :)

They don't shed a lot of lap time though, it's hard to keep up with them after 45 mins with worn tyres.

So 1hr with accelerated tyre wear (no fuel) so I guess we all can do 2hrs with authentic (no or slow fuel) & V8 Supercars with a Full tank (112 litres) driving hardish within the limits of hard slicks (for preservation) will need a top up before tyres (accelerated or authentic) require changing.

Last edited:
Do you know if changing tire wear/fuel consumption in the main menu options if it effects AI in career mode as well? For example if I turn fuel consumption off will that turn it off for AI in Career mode too?
To anyone, do you know the answer to this?

Do you know if changing tire wear/fuel consumption in the main menu options if it effects AI in career mode as well? For example if I turn fuel consumption off will that turn it off for AI in Career mode too?

Career mode is no different to all the other modes wrt. AI. So if you disable tire wear in the options, it'll be disabled for you and the AI in career too.
AFAIK it's the same for the fuel consumption setting but I never tested this by myself.

In theory, turning both settings off means nobody needs to pit (except for damage) ever, unless you're running a series with mandatory pit stops.

Well I put some time into PC1 this afternoon using SPA & a few touring cars, (V8 Falcon, Sierra Cosworth & E30 M3 on controller. I'm happy to report that I found the stock controller settings to be fine/usable I was soon able to get laps in without coming off track no problem, able to correct oversteer moments most of the time but I found when it really steps out, I was gone no amount of opposite lock/throttle modulation would save me! I'm playing without any assists. Can anyone please share their controller settings ? Looking at you @Wolfe @Speedster911 Thanks guys. Finding the handling easier than PC2 at this early stage :)

Atleast Forza has a great car lineup, sounds, features, etc. GTSport to me feels like a demo half finished game and has less features than previous GT titles on PS3 (lack of dynamic time change/weather, no performance or visual car mods like GT5, missing alot of iconic and relevant cars, low track list and missing alot of iconic tracks, etc. etc.) GTSport feels bare bones and sterile. The only thing it has going for it over PC2 imo is more user friendly/smoother controller handling (I'm not talking about physics), better graphics, and multiplayer (minus the bad penalty system). I've been a lifelong GT fan but have been disappointed since GT5, and would love to have Forza on Playstation. I do get what your saying about Forza physics compared to PC2, almost simcade like GT from what I've heard, I haven't played Forza.

Forza can be fun and has its moments - it certainly offers a lot more value than GTS in nearly every department, IMO. I too was a GT fan until Forza started surpassing PD in every way. Almost.

As for PCARS2, physics and in-depth tuning is what makes me want to play it over and over again, not to mention the fantastic track roster. I do have reservations over how they did some of the car sounds, and perhaps to some extent, maybe the car sounds are better in FM7. If I had to pick one, maybe I'd go with FM7, maybe. It's a tough choice.

AC is still my top choice. Offers a driving pleasure factor unlike any other console driving game I've played to date.

Well I put some time into PC1 this afternoon using SPA & a few touring cars, (V8 Falcon, Sierra Cosworth & E30 M3 on controller. I'm happy to report that I found the stock controller settings to be fine/usable I was soon able to get laps in without coming off track no problem, able to correct oversteer moments most of the time but I found when it really steps out, I was gone no amount of opposite lock/throttle modulation would save me! I'm playing without any assists. Can anyone please share their controller settings ? Looking at you @Wolfe @Speedster911 Thanks guys. Finding the handling easier than PC2 at this early stage :)

Sure, here you are:

steering deadzone: 0
throttle/brake deadzone:0
steering sensitivity: 25
throttle/brake sensitivity: 0
speed sensitivity: 30
controller filtering sensitivity: 0
controller input mode: 3
soft steering dampening: off
visual wheel filtering: off
opposite lock help: off

Adjust your driving style around this setup and give it some time. Also, tune your cars and let your mind/muscle memory get used to the above inputs. They work quite brilliantly, whether you're strictly a precision driver or like kicking the tail out now and then.

I'm sure I recall this 'bug' being discussed at length. You just can't save it past a certain point. Although try out the setup I posted, you might find improved control. I honestly don't know which game has better physics - 1 or 2. At times, I feel PCARS 1's physics are overall more consistent and feel natural.

I also feel that Forza's physics have somewhat spoilt us controller users - it's just so easy to correct slides and fishtail. It's not so straightforward in real life, believe me, and feels very different from car to car.

Last edited:
...I was soon able to get laps in without coming off track no problem, able to correct oversteer moments most of the time but I found when it really steps out, I was gone no amount of opposite lock/throttle modulation would save me!
That is what I do not like about PCARS1; the tire model, oversteer physics, and oversteer control with analog stick steering are not up to the level they are in PCARS2. But I still have my notes for PCARS1 if it might help:

Input Mode: 3
Assists: ABS ON
Code:
Steering Sensitivity:    25
Throttle Sensitivity:    45
Brake Sensitivity:       45

These sensitivities control analog linearity.
0-49 is slower near the center/low end and faster at the end of the axis.
51-100 is faster near the center/low end and slower at the end of the axis.

Code:
Speed Sensitivity:       50
Filtering Sensitivity:   50

Speed Sensitivity controls the maximum steering lock based on your velocity.
65 is the default, higher = less steering lock at high speeds.

Filtering Sensitivity controls the maximum rate (speed) of steering.
0 is fastest, 100 is slowest.

Code:
Advanced:                ON
Soft Steering Damp.:     ON
Visual Filtering:       OFF
Opposite Lock Help:     OFF

Soft Steering Dampening helps soften sudden inputs, like a flick of the analog stick.

Visual Filtering affects the cockpit wheel/driver animation, making it smoother and more "realistic". When turned off, it reflects your actual steering position in real time, like in telemetry.

Opposite Lock Help boosts countersteer input to catch oversteer more quickly, but it does not prevent you from overcorrecting.

Compared to PC2....I would say PC1 is considerably easier even on a controller.
Or it could just seem much easier after playing PC2 for awhile. I would say that it would be an easier transition from GT Sport or Forza 7.

I find the driving on AC is easier than PC1 or PC2 apart from the fact that it's too easy to get the front wheels on full lock meaning the car washes out all the time. Even if you need with with steering sensitivity which can mean it won't turn at speed.
Plus the graphics on Xbox One aren't as good as PCars. I agree though that PC1 feels more planted to drive than PC2. The sounds are better but not always. There's more bumping and slowdown off track and the noise and clatter from gravel. More options to tweak on PC2 and I find myself flitting between the two titles. Tbh I think both titles are great. I left PC1 alone for ages because of controller handling and after I got PC2 again and got the pad sorted I put the settings back into PC1 and hey presto it handles. Like I said I hop between PC1 and 2. Just wish the sounds were a bit better in PC2 although some cars are better, the classic Lotus 49 with the wings for one.
Occasionally dip back to Forza and need to get back to Dirt 2.0

Here's the difference between AC and PC2 on the same part of Imola ( which btw is my favourite track ) the 1st one is Assetto Corsa then Project Cars 2
IMG_20200508_013324.jpg

IMG_20200508_014253.jpg

IMG_20200508_013224.jpg

IMG_20200508_014220.jpg

Back