PCARS first impressions!

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 771 comments
Prior to release, the forums where filled with "release the freaking game already!!!!"

So, should SMS have delayed release until all/most of the known bugs were fixed? OR, are you happy you have the game as-is while you wait for bug fixes?

Console gaming does tend to get more polished games on release, from big budget developers. On the PC, it's quite the contrary except for the big budget cross-platform games. AC, R3E, rFactor 2, GSCE, Dirt Rally - every single one was released as a "early access" or "beta", or each having their share of bugs or lacking features. I don't expect perfection, as long as I can find enjoyable racing I can be patient. These (and pCARS) are still my favorites over the big-budget franchise racers.

Yes, back in the day, game development was handled quite differently. Most of the time you didn't hear much of a game until release. I believe much of what we have today is driven by the high cost of doing business (development).

Prior to release, the forums where filled with "release the freaking game already!!!!"

So, should SMS have delayed release until all/most of the known bugs were fixed? OR, are you happy you have the game as-is while you wait for bug fixes?

I've definitely got my money's worth already, and I am sure the game will improve.

The best thing about a decent sim is it never gets old. If you get too good for the AI, just leave the game alone for a while & when you come back it has become a challenge again (at least when you're my age!).

He's a bit butthurt lately with the anti PCARS crusade, but he raised some valid points and his comments about the Q&A department made me laugh :D
I have to say, that guy's delivery is bloody funny! :lol: You can hear his pain in every word :cool:

So I've just spent the last of our wedding/reception budget on a ps4 and project cars so I am dead man walking until the missus returns from her hen do.

Once I put the disc in and began the demo, 1 car, 1 track piece I thought I have put my relationship in jeopardy for nothing! The graphics looked bland and the handling model was truelly horrible. I began to wonder if argos would take it back but then I remembered that I had torn the boxes open like an excitable little girl.

Fortunately after 20minutes of near sobbing the game suddenly clicked and came alive. What a master piece that leaves the antiquated GT6 in the shade. Amazing cars, tracks, gameplay and my favourite part, the sound. Very nice touch coming out of the ds4.

GT6 was the only game I played on the ps3 other than fifa and I can see it being the same this generation.

So I've just spent the last of our wedding/reception budget on a ps4 and project cars so I am dead man walking until the missus returns from her hen do.

Once I put the disc in and began the demo, 1 car, 1 track piece I thought I have put my relationship in jeopardy for nothing! The graphics looked bland and the handling model was truelly horrible. I began to wonder if argos would take it back but then I remembered that I had torn the boxes open like an excitable little girl.

Fortunately after 20minutes of near sobbing the game suddenly clicked and came alive. What a master piece that leaves the antiquated GT6 in the shade. Amazing cars, tracks, gameplay and my favourite part, the sound. Very nice touch coming out of the ds4.

GT6 was the only game I played on the ps3 other than fifa and I can see it being the same this generation.

This is the THING about PCARS on consoles: you boot it up and it offends you! But as you get to know it, it starts to grow on you... very slowly though! Won't give you that instant gratification you get from GT or Forza.

My first impressions.
Well I have only got to my second season and still in Karts. I have found these very difficult to handle and at times thought I had a bumper cars sim.
The UI could be improved, and as yet I do not have a feeling of immersion.
All though as I am still in Karts and therefore not able to fully use yet, I looked at the tuning sections and it seemed to be information overload, is there some kind of tutorial to help what everything does ?. I'm looking forward to getting into the game but fearful that the tuning becomes too important, especially for novices like me.
So, good attempt and look forward to seeing the rest.

My first impressions.
Well I have only got to my second season and still in Karts. I have found these very difficult to handle and at times thought I had a bumper cars sim.
The UI could be improved, and as yet I do not have a feeling of immersion.
All though as I am still in Karts and therefore not able to fully use yet, I looked at the tuning sections and it seemed to be information overload, is there some kind of tutorial to help what everything does ?. I'm looking forward to getting into the game but fearful that the tuning becomes too important, especially for novices like me.
So, good attempt and look forward to seeing the rest.

Yes, the UI had me really irked in the beginning as well. Got used to it though.

As for tuning, you can check out the description on the right in the tuning menu. For further descriptions you can visit the official PCARS forum. Google it up, should be easy to find.

Yes, the UI had me really irked in the beginning as well. Got used to it though.

As for tuning, you can check out the description on the right in the tuning menu. For further descriptions you can visit the official PCARS forum. Google it up, should be easy to find.
Or you can visit our tuning sub forum here at GT Planet.

Right, so I finally got my hands dirty with Project CARS on the PS4.

My impressions thus far are these after doing the initial race as well a quick free race:

• Surprisingly I was managing with the default DS4 handling, just had to resign buttons which was a pain in itself...
  • Looks great, silky 60fps
  • The sounds actually surprised me compared to the Youtube vids I've seen. Pretty cool
  • The menus put me off.... I was getting really frustrated finding certain things particularly to adjust. I wish there was a better tutorial showing off the menus along with what you can adjust and change along with better menus in general. There needs to be bigger font along with better spacing.
One thing that is really irking me now is HOW ON THIS GREEN EARTH DO YOU CHANGE THE DIFFICULTY SETTINGS? I looked everywhere in the Options & Settings menu and to no avail.

One thing that is really irking me now is HOW ON THIS GREEN EARTH DO YOU CHANGE THE DIFFICULTY SETTINGS? I looked everywhere in the Options & Settings menu and to no avail.
Each race in career/Race Weekend has a slider that allows you to select the AI of the opposition.

As far as driving aids go (TCS, ABS, etc.) they are under 'Gameplay' in Options.

Each race in career/Race Weekend has a slider that allows you to select the AI of the opposition.

As far as driving aids go (TCS, ABS, etc.) they are under 'Gameplay' in Options.

Didn't see it in Race Weekend, I'll take a look when I have a go later.

Didn't see it in Race Weekend, I'll take a look when I have a go later.
when you're on the quick race screen with all the boxes (track top middle, car bottom etc), select the box on the right and that's where you adjust event settings like AI numbers, difficulty etc. press R to get to the weather settings from here. forgive my less than detailed explanations haha

The FFB options scared me the most.
---
Second impression: AI likes to cut in some tracks.

I haven't even bothered tinkering with the FFB options.. but then again I don't need to; on a controller.

I've read various "reports" on the AI behaving funny. I've never actually gone through a full race. Mostly hot lap.

I'm running it on mostly medium for the PC and it still looks pretty darn good.

On a PC it will look "pretty darn good" even on medium to high settings, as it probably has none of the screen tearing, objects suddenly popping in and out of view or the bizarre shadows and filtering around the edges of tracks in replays, that you'll find in the X1 version.

I am not exaggerating: aside from sharp looking cars and neat weather effects, the game is about as bland-looking as two slices of untoasted bread and a slice of cheese in between.

PCARS on X1 is a let down, and FM6 is going to completely drive it into the ground.

Back