PCARS first impressions!

• Thread starter mister dog
  • 771 comments
Finally got back from work. Tried a couple of practice sessions in Pro...

Wow... This game has opened my mind a bit. I never thought I wouldn't mind having so little cars. I only have one word to describe this game: AWESOME.

And here I was thinking I sucked when I tried my G27 with GT6 a month ago. I just couldn't handle the car at all, and the horrible clutch just ruined it for me. After an hour struggling, I quit and never touched GT6 again. So I thought to myself that PCars being a "sim" would be harder... but how wrong I was :D

Yes, the game does require a lap or two to get used to it, but everything is so damn precise that it makes it a really easy (for people who know the basics of racing) and enjoyable game. This game is fantastic. I've never played a car game like this before. My G27 feels amazing, the clutch is perfect, I can heel-toe easily, counter-steer and feel every bump and twist of the road.

Graphics are in par with GT6 with my system. Since I'm running on an Intel i5 3.0ghz Quad, 12Gb Ram (a bit of an overkill in the system memory) and a GTX 750Ti, I'm a bit closer to the minimum requirements than the recommended, making me have to reduce my video settings a bit to achieve a smoother gameplay and not to be hard on my computer.

Sound is amazingly well done! Not as nice as Forza 4, but FAR better than GT6 and a million times better than other games like Shift. Man, driving the McLaren F1... just wow...

Another surprise is the music. Not important, I know, but holy crap is it very nice!

Right now I'm trying to calm down since I'm incredibly impressed and very happy I bought this game. A game that I never had faith on, that I didn't follow, a game that I was so tired of people talking about or had any intentions of buying until today. I'll have to wait a few days and settle down. But man, right now, I am speechless. If I had any expectations for this game, it far exceeded them.

I love this game. I am genuinely a PCars fanboy now. And if developers hold to their words and add more stuff, this game will be the next big thing for car enthusiasts.

Sorry if I sound a bit unorganized. I am rushing this comment. I got to go play more!! :D

My brother and I agreed to pitch in 25 bucks each on his PC, since I got the G27 :P

I gotta say, it's a lot better than I was expecting it to be, I just figured it'd be another need for speed shift- a game that wasn't realistic at all but just looked pretty. The cars feel and drive pretty well, and with some calibrations and once I figure out how to get the clutch and manual shifter working, it should be a whole lot nicer. The cars look and sound great, the weather system is cool, the tracks are fun, and I dig it.

Not gonna lie though, I still prefer GT6. Sure most of the cars look and sound terrible, but the thing about project cars that really bugs me is that there are only 4 or 5 normal cars. Y'know, cars you can afford and throw around. So I can't really compare how the cars drive in the game vs. in real life. If there were at least a couple cars I've actually driven in here, I can give my full review on it, but for now I'm impressed.

Not gonna lie though, I still prefer GT6. Sure most of the cars look and sound terrible, but the thing about project cars that really bugs me is that there are only 4 or 5 normal cars. Y'know, cars you can afford and throw around. So I can't really compare how the cars drive in the game vs. in real life. If there were at least a couple cars I've actually driven in here, I can give my full review on it, but for now I'm impressed.

Really?! Here's the thing; YOU CAN'T HAVE EVERYTHING! GT5/6 were SO disappointing from a racing perspective. PD appear to have spent so much time & resources producing a massive game with endless cars ... but they (still) didn't address some of the most basic elements of racing. PCars seems to more focused on delivering a quality racing experience - it's just not reasonable to expect it to be stuffed with endless cars also ... and given the choice, I'd rather drive a Ferrari than 200 variations of a Nissan Skyline!

You can always go back to GT6 to drive a Suzuki Swift around the Nurburgring when the mood strikes you ... & you have lots of time on your hands!

Really?! Here's the thing; YOU CAN'T HAVE EVERYTHING! GT5/6 were SO disappointing from a racing perspective. PD appear to have spent so much time & resources producing a massive game with endless cars ... but they (still) didn't address some of the most basic elements of racing. PCars seems to more focused on delivering a quality racing experience - it's just not reasonable to expect it to be stuffed with endless cars also ... and given the choice, I'd rather drive a Ferrari than 200 variations of a Nissan Skyline!

You can always go back to GT6 to drive a Suzuki Swift around the Nurburgring when the mood strikes you ... & you have lots of time on your hands!
I guess he just wants road cars. I respect that. Not all of us are race enthusiasts and that's just fine.

bro, calm yourself.

I'd just prefer driving a car I have a chance of driving in the real world. Don't get me wrong I dig race cars and I love using them in Pcars and GT6, but I'll probably never get to hot lap a GT3 car or a Lotus 98T. I'm a tuner, I believe in taking road cars and pushing them to race car capabilities while building up the car in my own image.

...and there aren't any Ferraris in PCARS.

My last 1st impressions post. I've had the game for 24 hours now and I've played it for 16 of those 24 hours! I just can't stop playing, every new race or series that comes along with a new track or invitational car to race is wonderful. I drive around with a huge grin on my face when I look at the visuals. The racing so far has been great, although I still have to find an AI setting that makes them challenging for me. If you haven't tried this game you're missing out! I'll bow out with another video, the beauty of Bathurst in a classic BMW. See you on track.

YZF
Is there some kind of top speed test track in project cars?

It would be interesting to compare top speeds of same cars in Project Cars and GT6.
No. I haven't driven the coastal tracks so I don't know if they have long straight sections, but there's always the Nords and Lemans although you won't reach top speeds there.

Finally got back from work. Tried a couple of practice sessions in Pro...

Wow... This game has opened my mind a bit. I never thought I wouldn't mind having so little cars. I only have one word to describe this game: AWESOME.

And here I was thinking I sucked when I tried my G27 with GT6 a month ago. I just couldn't handle the car at all, and the horrible clutch just ruined it for me. After an hour struggling, I quit and never touched GT6 again. So I thought to myself that PCars being a "sim" would be harder... but how wrong I was :D

Yes, the game does require a lap or two to get used to it, but everything is so damn precise that it makes it a really easy (for people who know the basics of racing) and enjoyable game. This game is fantastic. I've never played a car game like this before. My G27 feels amazing, the clutch is perfect, I can heel-toe easily, counter-steer and feel every bump and twist of the road.

Graphics are in par with GT6 with my system. Since I'm running on an Intel i5 3.0ghz Quad, 12Gb Ram (a bit of an overkill in the system memory) and a GTX 750Ti, I'm a bit closer to the minimum requirements than the recommended, making me have to reduce my video settings a bit to achieve a smoother gameplay and not to be hard on my computer.

Sound is amazingly well done! Not as nice as Forza 4, but FAR better than GT6 and a million times better than other games like Shift. Man, driving the McLaren F1... just wow...

Another surprise is the music. Not important, I know, but holy crap is it very nice!

Right now I'm trying to calm down since I'm incredibly impressed and very happy I bought this game. A game that I never had faith on, that I didn't follow, a game that I was so tired of people talking about or had any intentions of buying until today. I'll have to wait a few days and settle down. But man, right now, I am speechless. If I had any expectations for this game, it far exceeded them.

I love this game. I am genuinely a PCars fanboy now. And if developers hold to their words and add more stuff, this game will be the next big thing for car enthusiasts.

Sorry if I sound a bit unorganized. I am rushing this comment. I got to go play more!! :D
Now it all makes sense eh?:sly: All those times you saw the sim-racing pc jerks saying, "it's a sim, you don't need a lot of cars" and, "it's not a car collector game it's a sim". It's amazing what you can do with 70 cars when they are so individual and so detailed and with so many different styles of tracks to race them on. Welcome to the darkside:cheers:

bro, calm yourself.

I'd just prefer driving a car I have a chance of driving in the real world. Don't get me wrong I dig race cars and I love using them in Pcars and GT6, but I'll probably never get to hot lap a GT3 car or a Lotus 98T. I'm a tuner, I believe in taking road cars and pushing them to race car capabilities while building up the car in my own image.

Fine - but you've got already got GT6 for that - "a car collecting game". What was missing was a decent racing game for the PS3/PS4 & GT just didn't come through. As I said, it's just not realistic to expect everything - just focus on the positive. ;)

Last edited:
On next-generation consoles I've only played Forza, and I'm waiting to pick up my copy of PCars this afternoon, but I'm already blown away by SMS reading this forum. Ever since release Forza5 has been dogged by glitches and bugs but T10 just seem happy to sit back, but I'm already seeing comments that bugs raised by the public on consoles are already being looked at, and in some cases already repaired.

Top job!

Hmm.

Very nice game indeed.

Seeing as it just was released, I can't expect much. I'm going to give a light kick at it.

Sounds? Great.
Graphics? Great.
Driving? Need to adjust, but still pretty good.

What I do like the most from this game?
Well, the above, as well as THE ABILITY TO ADJUST YOUR FOV, 🤬 YEA.

With the good stuff being said...

I haven't spent as much time with the game to see if PCars's interior is as detailed as GT6's (working odo, moving gauges aside from the speedo and tacho, etc)

As much fun as the game is, however, I have to stick back with Gran Turismo. Yes, I do love GT. So I guess you can call me a fanboy. But, I do give other racing games a chance, like I am right now.

As @guywithanAE86 said, there are so few normal cars, which is kind of a downer. With GT6, I can drive a massive variety of road cars around whatever track I like.

Fine - but you've got already got GT6 for that - "a car collecting game". What was missing was a decent racing game for the PS3/PS4 & GT just didn't come through. As I said, it's just not realistic to expect everything - just focus on the positive. ;)

I don't see GT6 as a car collecting game. Sure, it is satisfying to get cars you always wanted to get, but overall, I find it to be a decent driving and racing simulator.

I'm not trying to engage a racing/driving game war in here, but just to point out my POV of this game. I will play this game more, as it piques my interest, and I do find it fun, but I will most likely play GT6 more than this.

Ok having spent a good night doing the Clio Championship I can add a bit more, Silverstone is accurate because I still can't drive it fast lol.

I'm going to have to grab my karting gloves today because my hands are sore after all that driving :lol:

The AI needs some serious work, I have it cranked up to 94% and they're pretty quick, but they're dumb and seem to be able to take some corners waaaay faster than should be possible and others at snail pace, they don't respect flags, too often have I started a hot lap and have the AI just staying on the racing line or coming out of the pits into my path.

The race engineer could focus a little less on the gap I have and maybe tell me if it has started to rain, entered the pits to change my tyres in Race 2 in the Clio Championship and it started raining round about then and I ended up on slicks on a wet track and dead last, no big deal, that's racing but a bit more info from him would be nice!

Took a spin online too, idk what people are talking about they can't see what session the room is in, it's right there! The good thing is everyone seemed pretty clean (PC) so I'm hoping that's a sign of things to come.

I don't own the game yet, but I'm interested in what you X1 owners think of it so far.

Are the graphics, audio and physics on par or better than FM5?

I saw a vid of someone playing PCARS on Twitch last night, an Audi R8 race car at Monza, and it did not look or sound impressive at all.

I'm also interested in knowing how the control transfers on the pad - after making necessary adjustments, is it still twitchy on the straights and somewhat non-responsive around corners ala Shift 2?

Can't wait to pick this up; however that Twitch video almost looked like Race Pro on the X360!

Because a picture is worth a thousand words ;)

Happy.jpg

He said he was impressed with the game. He only asked for a few more road cars. I think most people would agree there's an insufficient number of them and SMS will probably want to add more.

Just got the game today. Tried to put a few laps in on the nordschleife in a BMW 1M. Damn, that was hard with a ds4, couldn't even get though the first section without hitting something. Controllers are not for me I guess ;)

Anyway, t300rs is on the way, guess I'll have to practice some patience until the wheel arives. Won't be playing untill then. pCars does look and sound great though. Can't wait.
Good to see there are some "Limburgers" here on this forum :cheers:

They fixed problems with T500RS yet? Can someone who have this steering wheel can say something about how it work with CARS on PS4? I order T500 today, but i read that there is some problems with it, and now I thinking about change to T300.

They fixed problems with T500RS yet? Can someone who have this steering wheel can say something about how it work with CARS on PS4? I order T500 today, but i read that there is some problems with it, and now I thinking about change to T300.

I have the T500. A patch is being worked. It does work but sometimes plays up.

Up to you whether you want to wait or get the T300.

Check out the wheel help thread.

I have a T500 but I haven't tried it with Project Cars yet. I would go with T300 if I was you because it is fully compatible with the PS4.

Spent a few hours yesterday on pCars on PC with a G27.

Absolutely stunning, did not expect it to be so so good.

The Clio is awesome, drives just like a FWD race car should, I could (and practically did..) drive that all day.

My only criticism is the AI is super aggressive. I've been playing on 100% difficulty and the pace is good enough to be a good challenge, but some of the lunges and overtake attempts they make are a bit much. Have to defend a corner even if the car is 3-5 car lengths behind you because they will try and pass regardless.

Other than that, brilliant 👍

Just like to say how good the TM T300 is now I have had chance to use it on a decent game it was very poor on The Crew and DC But this awesome game has really brought it to life, Spent most of yesterday online with some friends and had a great time I particularly like the feedback when aids are off you get so much detail and warning of what's happening

It was as expected, a nice surprise given the hype. Very noticeable that this is a PC game available on games consoles. I had some time on PS4 last night with it, and spent the entire time trying to get DS3 controller settings right. Couldn't imagine any other game coming out and needing so much work required to make it drivable. All signs are that once controller issues are tuned out that this will be a fine game indeed!

To anyone having issues with the controller on ps4 or xbone, here are a few tips:
go to controller options >
Sensitivity: is the responsiveness of your stick, set this between 0-10 (higher is really not necessary, personally I have it at 0)
Deadzone: never above 15 unless you have a REALLY crappy controller
Speed sensitivity: higher number means lower sensitivity at higher speed. Set this between 60-75 (above 75 its impossible to corner at higher speeds)
Controller filtering: this smooths out your input. Set this at 0 for very 'jerky' movement. I recommend between 50-70

Spot on. This makes the game very playable on the pad. My only beef with the controls is there are too many settings and not enough buttons to map them to.

Here's a hectic Formula Gulf race I had with gamepad:

Last edited:

The Clio is awesome, drives just like a FWD race car should, I could (and practically did..) drive that all day.

My only criticism is the AI is super aggressive. I've been playing on 100% difficulty and the pace is good enough to be a good challenge, but some of the lunges and overtake attempts they make are a bit much. Have to defend a corner even if the car is 3-5 car lengths behind you because they will try and pass regardless.

Similar experience to me, the Ai seems to be able to brake harder and turn faster, the Clios are awesome fun

bro, calm yourself.

...and there aren't any Ferraris in PCARS.

He said he was impressed with the game. He only asked for a few more road cars. I think most people would agree there's an insufficient number of them and SMS will probably want to add more.

That criticism is of course valid. Its down to budget and manpower why SMS couldnt include more road cars for now and had to focus on the core focus of the game for the car selection: Racing. But if you have a look at the OP of the car list thread, they have some really nice road cars coming in the near future. One of them is a free car and its one of my favorite hot hatches! ;)

Yep mate. You did play a bit too much :P

Can't wait to see you on track ;)👍

Back