PCCP CHAMPIONSHIP = Finished

• Thread starter Mr Grumpy
  • 523 comments
What AI skill?

I had mine at 100/100
Mine were mid-:06s at 110/50 so must have been higher than that to do 1:05.
I had them at 100/100 but they were in the way so much it was a real problem. 105% was pretty close in fastest laps but they still were constantly slowing down right in front of me, and at 100 aggression any time they got near me in one of their better corners I was in the wall. So I killed the aggression which helped with the punting, then a race or two later I felt like speeding them up would help stop bottling me up. So it's just a matter of navigating the maze on lap 1, then trying to keep in touch with the leaders. Sometimes I could work past them, sometimes they'd get ahead and I couldn't catch back up.

Oulton is an odd mix of corners where they are good, and spots where they check up for virtually no reason... but I suppose most tracks are. You'd probably be fastest if you set them to just run away from you and do the whole race as a solo run, but it's much more fun to fight with them - except you have to be rude to avoid them killing you or slowing you down. Then again, when I TT'ed after my run I couldn't run consistent 1:06s like I could in the race even seemingly too far back to get any slipstream(could've been from extra rubber in the corners I suppose).

Edit: Wow if they were that fast at 100 they must have been really inspired!

Mine were mid-:06s at 110/50 so must have been higher than that to do 1:05.
I had them at 100/100 but they were in the way so much it was a real problem. 105% was pretty close in fastest laps but they still were constantly slowing down right in front of me, and at 100 aggression any time they got near me in one of their better corners I was in the wall. So I killed the aggression which helped with the punting, then a race or two later I felt like speeding them up would help stop bottling me up. So it's just a matter of navigating the maze on lap 1, then trying to keep in touch with the leaders. Sometimes I could work past them, sometimes they'd get ahead and I couldn't catch back up.

Oulton is an odd mix of corners where they are good, and spots where they check up for virtually no reason... but I suppose most tracks are. You'd probably be fastest if you set them to just run away from you and do the whole race as a solo run, but it's much more fun to fight with them - except you have to be rude to avoid them killing you or slowing you down. Then again, when I TT'ed after my run I couldn't run consistent 1:06s like I could in the race even seemingly too far back to get any slipstream(could've been from extra rubber in the corners I suppose).

Edit: Wow if they were that fast at 100 they must have been really inspired!
I actually believe they adapt slightly to how fast you can be within reason of their supposed skill setting.
It's almost like if they feel you're a threat within the 1st couple of laps then they floor it & dissappear.

What AI skill?

I had mine at 100/100

Crap.... Just realised I've assumed that everyone beat the AI & so far noted only the 1st place times :banghead:
I left mine where I've had it -- 79/80. Not terribly challenging for numerous car/track combos, but often enough I drive underpowered cars within a class and it's not so high for those cars/tracks where the AI is suddenly much faster.

I was reading through your chat about AI settings. I eventually set mine at 100/66 and as I mentioned that gave me a good race that I was able to win. But it took a bit of getting to the front.

So while reading the comments I thought "hmm, what if". So I raised it up to 111/66 and tried again and while I didn't win (mid pack) my overall time dropped by 13 seconds because they weren't holding me back so much. And it was still fun.
Project CARS 2_20200808012513.jpg
Not sure if I can enter this since I've already posted my early attempt. But that's OK.

Anyway it seems that might be the way to go, for me at least. There's no need to win to get a good time (or have a good time). :)

Last edited:
when i looked into more about Ai it said over 100 it tunes the car so it changes how late they brake etc ..
so your racing different cars really...
have i got this right ?

when i looked into more about Ai it said over 100 it tunes the car so it changes how late they brake etc ..
so your racing different cars really...
have i got this right ?

It's supposed to be 80 and over, actually(or I think the game might say "above 80"). I don't know how extensively they change(not sure anyone does). They don't seem to set up their gearing to suit tracks, anytime I've been able to notice the AI's gears it seems to be pretty much default. They might just have a single "aggressive" stiffer setup? I'd be interested to see if anyone has ever investigated what exactly they do. Above 100 they do seem to get slightly faster in a straight line than you.

Last edited:
@IfAndOr unfortunately no, at least you know the trick for the next race :)

AI under 80 they use default setups
AI over 80 they tune their cars to match the track.
AI over 100 they start getting better grip/brakes/acceleration & top speed.

That's why I said you may actually benefit from increasing the AI skill level because it can cause less of a blockade on track, give you a few reference points & a bit of slipstream.

I only ran a couple of races to test the water & see what the competition was like, I'll put a little more dedication into the rest of the championship.
Oh I must have easily run 1 hour's worth of 10 minute races plus numerous restarts trying to get the time down, without success. Then just one quick AI test at 2 AM beat them all by a good margin. :D

Last edited:
Moved all my results to the 1st page courtesy of @IfAndOr's idea.

I suggest people try to do the same with their 1st available posts on this thread, I think 7 of you have a post on the 1st page.

Just copy & paste his idea, (from the reply page) then edit the race results.

Moved all my results to the 1st page courtesy of @IfAndOr's idea.

I suggest people try to do the same with their 1st available posts on this thread, I think 7 of you have a post on the 1st page.

Just copy & paste his idea, (from the reply page) then edit the race results.

Done, much better way of doing it 👍

I've also listed my time as well as adding the screenshot, just to avoid any doubt about which time is mine.

That's why I said you may actually benefit from increasing the AI skill level because it can cause less of a blockade on track, give you a few reference points & a bit of slipstream.
For this first race I was in 3rd by the first corner and 1st by the time I reached the "Fosters" part, leaving me with a clear run. :) That's another way to avoid a blockade.

Hey All ,
was gonna get it done early but had to finish a tiling job :( family so no excuse!
Got it fired up so fingers crossed i get some uninterrupted time !

well done so far nice times in there , @Napalm_LT must have had an extra can of redbull ....

PS_Messages_20200808_233621.jpg
my first post was not till page 3 (Those were the days ) so not sure where to keep mine ! in the bin !
:gtpflag:

I could have sworn I remember driving this car before and it being nearly as impossible to drive as the GT4, but as soon as I started this one up it drove just fine. I guess I was wrong. The track was of course an impossible(but great) challenge because it's Knockhill. And the bots were ruining things until I made them too fast to keep up without the slipstream. You can't just pass them all over the track here like you can at Oulton.

240 restarts later... I surrender. I fell apart in the last 2-3 laps after a great start but I'm happy enough with it. There's a couple more seconds total but not enough to kill myself over. :) Lots of fast times on the leaderboard too.

Results post updated.

guys will try get on tomorrow!
had Ai on 115 , 60. was ok sliped into 4th for first few laps but made error and lost a place or two ish ..
didn't get enough time as i could not make it to the end for a few races ,
balanced the Ai out and stuck that race to the end !
The Ai can get right on your @#$$
posted 1st finish !

great stuff All looks like the more we get to grips with the system the harder this will become . (sleepless nights hope its fast enough !).
unplug it i will share my glory with you !
catch u soon

Back