PCCP CHAMPIONSHIP = Finished

• Thread starter Mr Grumpy
  • 523 comments
I gave the Mustang a go and there's two things I found.
1) I'd not driven it before.
2) It's not a race car!

Again I have an initial result that's not very good. If I get another chance I'll try to improve on it, if not I'll post that up.

2) It's not a race car!

Again I have an initial result that's not very good. If I get another chance I'll try to improve on it, if not I'll post that up.
It's definitely a car that is faster the more cautious & smoother you are with it (on this track anyway), everything just seems half baked, spent 8 laps being 60-70% of potential, maybe it's the default setup, but I found the more aggressive I was the slower I was.

2) It's not a race car!

It's definitely a car that is faster the more cautious & smoother you are with it (on this track anyway), everything just seems half baked, spent 8 laps being 60-70% of potential, maybe it's the default setup, but I found the more aggressive I was the slower I was.

I haven't done a race run I'm happy with yet, but definitely in my runs in TT and the couple of practice races I've had, this car rewards the "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" approach. Which is great in a time trial scenario, but keeping to it when you're trying to overtake the AI on a narrow circuit in big cars is a bit more interesting.

If I don't get a chance to run tonight I'll get a time in over the weekend, I'm quite enjoying driving this one just for the change of pace and style.

Can I post a time with a little penalty? Not really into race it again to be honest. Game gave me that for slightly riding on a curb at the Degner Curve exit.

Car is nice, surprisingly without any real problem to struggle. Not a Mustang to love, but a decent to drive around Suzuka.

Can I post a time with a little penalty? Not really into race it again to be honest. Game gave me that for slightly riding on a curb at the Degner Curve exit.

Car is nice, surprisingly without any real problem to struggle. Not a Mustang to love, but a decent to drive around Suzuka.
You can post a time with a penalty if you wish :)

Thanks, there one second, doubt it will be a game changer.

Also watched some videos from Spa today, and been thinking if there will be the day when simulators developers will drop the ball on strict track limits and allow more realistic approach. It is clear, no harm there will be in non aggressive kerbs either. Just noticed that I always overturn into Double Gauche, and them on the real track just go through as wide as possible. And in PC2 kerb at Suzuka not only eat you away into outside, but also very hard to get out from there, because of amazing height at border. Car taking holes in tarmac and other cars:lol: like nothing, but jumping on kerbs. And this is no joke, one friend of mine rant my lil' Carrera RSR over in Camaro, but I'm sure he would struggle to do the same on kerb.

I know real-world curbs can suck the cars in a bit, but it would be so much nicer if they were a little bit less sticky in PC2. Some of them simply will not let you go if you catch them just a bit wrong. That or they just kick you sideways in an instant. Have had plenty of wide-eyed moments hanging on to it in 180R.

I don't recall any of the out-of-bounds spots at this track being too strict(and I'm pretty sure I've found them all... many times :lol:), but they do all seem to follow the usual PC2 trend of "50% of the car" rather than "4 wheels over." The problem for me isn't so much getting the penalties as it is clearing them. If you don't realize you're going off and back out immediately it's incredibly difficult to convince the game to relax. I think it's particularly bad because the bots are so slow(and so it expects you to be) through the entire middle section. So you can't quite contain the giant beast coming down the hill from the first corner or you push a tiny bit too hard gaining your time back in the next two, and then you just can't go slow enough to clear the warning without giving up at least 2 or 3 seconds. That was probably more frustrating to me than the bots in my runs.

I've had a lot of fun with it though. Had to speed the bots up enough to be really fast through Spoon and the first section in order to stop tripping over them in the second sector, so I really have to keep it together to stay with them. But it's pretty impressive what the car can do when you get your timing right and keep it balanced... for a big heavy brick that is. I've gained a full twenty seconds since my first run. I have one that is probably a bit lucky and unbeatable, yet at the same time I know there was two or three seconds that I wasted sliding around. Yet at the same time when I do the math I'm only two or three seconds off my theoretical perfect run so I don't know if I can expect to improve. Gotta give it one or two more tries before I give up. :)

Apologies for double post... wanted to make sure it was marked as new because I've posted my results.

I ran a few, missed my best by a couple hundredths and was ready to give up. Decided to bump the AI up 2 more ticks and run one more. Found those 2-3 seconds I had almost believed were there. :D

Still made a small mistake or two and did fall off almost a second on the last lap, but if I try to beat this one I'm probably just going to hurt myself. Watching the replay I realize I've probably been using a bit more dirt in the chicane than is probably advised, but it seems that that's one spot where if you don't touch the line with your outside wheel it won't ping you. On the first apex you can get a penalty without even touching the sausages -- but I've still usually gotten them from the second which means I was definitely over the limit.

Uploaded. :)

The car wasn't bad but it's not super DS4-friendly for a competition like this. My hands hurt too much from keeping the analog stick steady to try again, but I'm also more than happy enough with my time.

The AI were obnoxious, too. In combination with this car on a track this narrow, starting out is like trying to slip through a pack of school buses driven by monkeys who each just drank 12 cups of coffee. :lol:

Last edited:
Uploaded. :)

The car wasn't bad but it's not super DS4-friendly for a competition like this. My hands hurt too much from keeping the analog stick steady to try again, but I'm also more than happy enough with my time.

The AI were obnoxious, too. In combination with this car on a track this narrow, starting out is like trying to slip through a pack of school buses driven by monkeys who each just drank 12 cups of coffee. :lol:

OMG the first corner was the worst. Fortunately they were so eager to drive straight off both sides of the track it made it a little bit easier, but still took several aborts for each decent start. As long as I could get a good enough launch to stay alongside the 9th place car so he couldn't swerve into the center lane I could usually run right up the middle, pass a few while they stopped early and then slide to the outside lane of the first corner and go around a couple more slowpokes. With some luck I could take another one into turn 2, and by then the remaining cars in front would be fast enough I could drive at a normal pace.

The first lap of all the PCCP races have been an adventure. Ain't nobody got time to wait for their foolishness!

@IfAndOr no rush mate.

@John Wells, welcome 👍 if you're quick, read the 20 rules & settings you must adhere to (details in post 1 on page 1) & quickly set up race 7 (details in post 3 on page 1), have a go & post your time. Take a look at what others have done & feel free to ask any questions.

@Napalm_LT no problem mate.

Last edited:
No, but you take your chances posting your time hoping it's good enough :)

Also we got @John Wells in on race 7 aswell, so he's gotta post his time yet.
OK :)
2EB2AAD9-AAAA-4620-AA12-4288E430757A.jpeg

Back