PD got carried away with their Ford GT LM cars

  • Thread starter Thread starter Snakebitten
  • 44 comments
  • 4,445 views
The PP system has its foibles, it should be said.

Cars have "innate" PP ratings which seem governed by the age of the car (older cars = lower PP) and the drivetrain (from highest to lowest PP, I think it's MR, FR, 4W, RR, FF). The PP is then modified by, in order of most significant to least significant factor, weight (lower weight = higher PP), downforce (lower downforce = lower PP), power (lower power = lower PP) and torque (lower torque = lower PP).

However, precisely deciphering the PP system is very difficult. I can't tell you, for instance, how much PP you'll get for 5 more horsepower and 1 more lbft in a standard Honda S2000, only that, in general, an older S2000 has a lower PP rating even if it's identical in specs to a newer one (compare '01 and '06).

I've been logging data on PP on certain cars and encoded - the GTP user behind gt5cars.net - has been trying his damnedest to work out the method behind the PP madness, but we're not there yet.

I think there is no "age" factor in the PP system. Old cars just generally have worse gearboxes and less mechanical grip/downforce.

You can even feel the differences with new cars.

Just check up the stats of a minimal-weight Gallardo at 575PP and a 458 Italia (both cars also maxed out downforce). The Gallardo weights more then 100kg less and has more then 20kW more power, but stillt he same PP.


I also found out another interesting thing:
When I bought my first Enzo in GT5, I played around with the weight ballast option a little bit, to erase the understeer. The PP of the car raised when I added ballast to the rear, it reached its maximum when I added 200kg to rear.

My conclusion:
The effect of in/decreasing downforce for the PP rating needs to be reworked. Its influence must be raised. Or just add a "track factor" (I remember years ago, when this game wasn`t released, amar suggested this) because on some tracks downforce is more important then on others.
A Enzo gets raped by the 458 at Suzuka (same PP levels) but is probably equal or faster on the Nordschleife.
IMO PD should also add the option to make the PP system like in GT5P, when tires affected the PP too. So you could race old cars + better tires against modern sports cars with bad tires.
 
I think there is no "age" factor in the PP system.

There is. Compare otherwise identical cars from different decades - I know the 1999 S2000 has a lower PP than the 2003 S2000, despite having the same power and torque but a lower weight which should give it a higher PP:

S2000 '99 - 423PP - 237hp, 152lbft, 1240kg; 189.5hp/tonne
S2000 '03 - 425PP - 237hp, 152lbft, 1250kg; 188.0hp/tonne
 
There is. Compare otherwise identical cars from different decades - I know the 1999 S2000 has a lower PP than the 2003 S2000, despite having the same power and torque but a lower weight which should give it a higher PP:

S2000 '99 - 423PP - 237hp, 152lbft, 1240kg; 189.5hp/tonne
S2000 '03 - 425PP - 237hp, 152lbft, 1250kg; 188.0hp/tonne


Yes I know, but maybe the 99 one has a worse gearbox and/or less downforce/grip then the 03 one.

I don`t own both cars, but could you test drive them to tell us the diffrences in performance etc?

Maybe there is really a age factor (which is very possible), but have you noticed that the PP is raising/falling by changing the weight balance too?
 
It's the same car. It's even the same in-game model - they're both AP1 generation... Age really is factored into the "base" PP stats for each car, though I can't tell you precisely what the dividing points are because there are very few equivalent cars which cross multiple years and it's quite hard to amass accurate PP data for them as they keep changing with each update :lol:

I know ballast adds weight, so it decreases PP. I haven't noticed any particular relationship between where the ballast goes and PP though.
 
These "PD favors ___ car over ___ car" threads are past their prime. It's a game, highly doubtful they'd say "hey, let's make this car better than all the rest."

People are reaching anymore to find stuff to complain about.

Where exactly does it say anything like that? You ____!
 
It's only the Test Car from the NCD that's good. It blows the other two away.
 
They're all good.


The Test Car is ridiculous though. It manages to keep up with the XJR-9 in the Dream Car Championship. Extra downforce? More like, unrealistic amounts of downforce. Maybe that's why it's called the 'test car'. :lol:
 

I know ballast adds weight, so it decreases PP. I haven't noticed any particular relationship between where the ballast goes and PP though.

Maybe its a glitch, but on my Enzo it makes a difference. Gonna post a picture (dont know how to add videos to youtube) later when I get my hands on my ps3 again.
 
Woke up this morning and the Spec II is 2 1/2 laps up on the Audi R8 LMP. no rain so far. Looks like I found another set it and forget it car. I'm not too enamored with the PP system though. But now it makes sense why the LMP cars have a hard time passing and getting away from cars in the rain like the Fords and even the Audi R8 LMS.

You were a little clearer in your first post about just how you are comparing these cars, it's less valid saying your Bob is owning LMP cars in the GT Test Car, as Bobs are (eventually at least) quicker drivers than the AI, not the same level at all. Really the only comparison is taking these cars to the track yourself.

I've found that generally in most LMPs Bob will leave the field behind, whereas in any of the (Ford) GTs, including the Test Car, you might find the other GTs, Zonda and definitely the Jag hounding you sometimes at least.

Also let's not forget that although no doubt PD have been careful to make their "fake" cars bear out their stats, they are still fake cars. Shame we don't have the real Ford GT1, that thing is a monster.
 
Last edited:
You were a little clearer in your first post about just how you are comparing these cars. Pointless saying your Bob is owning LMP cars in the GT Test Car, as Bobs are (eventually at least) quicker drivers than the AI, not the same level at all. Really the only comparison is taking these cars to the track yourself.

I've found that generally in most LMPs Bob will leave the field behind, whereas in any of the (Ford) GTs, including the Test Car, you might find the other GTs, Zonda and definitely the Jag hounding you sometimes at least.

Also let's not forget that although no doubt PD have been careful to make their "fake" cars bear out their stats, they are still fake cars. Shame we don't have the real Ford GT1, that thing is a monster.

Yawn...On the first paragraph of your post. Was that really necessary? I guess the fact that this was an obvious sub-topic to my thread was lost on you. But thanks for the pointless banter. Have you ever used a car or have Bob use a car for the first time in a particular race and were shocked at the pace of the thing? Well that was the point of the post you felt the need to denigrate. I already drove the thing dude. It says so in my OP. R.I.F. I know how fast it is..But again thanks.

Anyway, I mainly run the 24 hour race when Im leveling up a Bob hence why I ran the race I posted about yesterday. Ive never seen a Jaguar XJ9 on that 24 hour enduro only on DCC which is not the race Im running. And since I have been shocked at how fast the Spec II's have been in DCC and from my own testing with Bob and I I decided to see if it can really handle a field of full on LMP/Group C car for a 24 Hour Race. From the start the Spec II drove away from the likes of the Audi R8 LMP, Mazda 787B, Pesky Judd GVS etc. I did not expect this hence that post:)

The race actually just ended as I just came home from work and the Spec II beat the fastest AI LMP, the Audi R8 by 3 laps with no coaching from me for 99% of this race. The Audi R8 LMP is faster than the Jaguar XJ9 so if the Spec II ran away from the Audi it will crush the XJ9 on the Ring.

I completely agree with you on having the GT1 Ford.👍 Hell Id love to have the Matech GT1 or GT3 Ford GT's. Love the wider lower racing kit on it. Id love to see most of the GTS/GT1/GT3/GT class cars in this game as well.
 
Why so aggressive? Sorry I used the word "pointless", perhaps a bad choice, I just meant comparing Bobs to the AI isn't a fair comparison. In your first post you mentioned you've tried hot laps too, but later posts mentioned how Bob beats x driving y. Relax, I wasn't trying to "denigrate" anything if you re-read the post.
 
McLaren F1 GTR is close in performance. In fact I like it more than Ford GT test car.
 
Why so aggressive? Sorry I used the word "pointless", perhaps a bad choice, I just meant comparing Bobs to the AI isn't a fair comparison. In your first post you mentioned you've tried hot laps too, but later posts mentioned how Bob beats x driving y. Relax, I wasn't trying to "denigrate" anything if you re-read the post.

The way the first paragraph was worded certainly seemed to me as if you were being flippant, even after re-reading it. I didn't hold it against you for my whole post though:). No worries. I apologize if I read to much into your post.
 
The way the first paragraph was worded certainly seemed to me as if you were being flippant, even after re-reading it. I didn't hold it against you for my whole post though:). No worries. I apologize if I read to much into your post.

Edited it (a bit!), sorry if it seemed over-flippant.
 
Back