PD-GT6 Could learn from Codemasters

  • Thread starter Thread starter BK711
  • 63 comments
  • 3,795 views
Messages
25
United States
United States
GT 6 seems to be an epic fail in my opinion. I would have rather them pushed more DLC's to GT5 and made GT6 revamped for the PS4. I think PD could learn a lot from looking at the Codemaster games "Grid 2" and "F1 2013". I know that "Grid 2" is arcade like, but the single player game is far more fun with different styles of racing and events. While F1 2013 has very few car models and tracks, it has the best "feel" of any racing game on the PS3. Weather is far more realistic, as well as damage (both crash and mechanical). Frankly, even if PD does deliver on the content we are waiting on, it won't do much to improve the game. I think the GT series is done. The same single player formula has been carried on from day 1 and its gotten old.
 
From the game design I will most likely agree. They are more fun gameplay wise. But technically no. Sure they have more damage and better weather effects but they run at 30fps and 720p. The PS3 Version of GRID has even serious framerate Problems.

Some part I agree some not. They can learn from each others. Codemasters from PD's graphics standarts and PD from Codemasters racing experience.
 
If you go to Grid2 forums, they all complain the game is a failure.

If you go to Forza forums, they all complain the game is a failure.

If you go to GT6 forums, they all complain the game is a failure.

I believe the problem isn't the game, but the gamer's false sense of entitlement to a game. You play the game because somebody, who spent hours of work force and investments in creating a game according to their ideals, made it available to you. Most creators feel that they want to create a perfect game, but in reality achieving this is probably impossible. As such, bugs and inaccuracies have always been a part of a digital game. It is the courtacy of the creator to fix these issues one problem at a time. Along this path new problems may arise. In what false world do people live that they should feel entitled for a game to cater to their needs? Problems will be fixed when they have the solution for it. Fixes do not earn the creator any money, since the game has already been bought by the target. Creators take pride in things they do themselves. Comparisons along the line "they do it, why not you" falter exactly at this point. They want to get their own method working and improve it.

I'm not denying that GT6 has some flaws, but the game is still excellent compared to its predecessors. All the improvements that came in GT6 never get any attention, only things that don't appease the royal highness of game entitlement. There is a ton of things that I would like to see fixed in GT6, and I will patiently wait for the fixes to come. If I happen to stumble across new bugs, flaming about it with rhetorical nonsense wont fix it. Making the Creator aware that there is something amiss in the current content of the game through a constructive indication of the issue will make it simpler for the programmers to identify the source.

Whining about "I want this in my game, it's not there, so you suck!" drowns the actual issues at hand. PD said that they want to implement certain features within the lifespan of the game. PD is still very inexperienced with the creation of online capable games. As such they take longer to adapt to the demands within the code. I'm sick and tired of the immature gaming community constantly demanding things. So what if they said they will have updates until date x. It will be made available when its ready, and free of charge. Development is not cheap.
 
I don't agree. For me Codemasters used to make good racing titles like the DTM Series and the IndyCar game from 2003. But from Grid onwards, I really don't like the design of their games anymore. Too arcady, too much attention to details that don't matter and too low attention on actual physics and playability.
 
Nah. PD shouldn't learn from a company that used to make sim games, but left that market and started making arcade racing games. They now suck nowadays.
 
GT 6 seems to be an epic fail in my opinion.
Did you know that using "epic fail" to open a post automatically invalidates anything that follows?

tumblr_inline_n1vwsxv7ty1qzem8g.jpg



If you don't like it, don't play it. I'm seriously tired of all this whining and bitching about GT6.
:rolleyes: But then what would you whine about?
 
I would actually prefer that other developers learn everything from PD.

PD can implement plethora of elements of other games in GT, but I am not sure how many - if any - developer can pull off what PD achieved with Gran Turismo.

The grass is always greener at neighbour, but the actual quality of grass remains another issue.
 
There's already a thread saying "GT could learn from Forza." This is the same thing. Post it there.

I stopped reading at "epic fail," if you knew anything about engaging a person's interest you wouldn't have started your FIRST SENTENCE with that, and therefore I knew the rest of your post is complete bull.
 
I don't think GT6 is an epic fail, I think it's a very good game and the best GT so far. Having said that, we all know that it has area's that could be better but I believe PD will address this.

When GT5 came out a lot of people said the same kind of things but it was improved vastly from when it first came out and GT6 will also go through the same transformation.

Personally I find the F1 games extremely boring even though I love the sport, each to their own I guess.
 
Yay more of these :D in all seriousness,I would rather Gt6 physics,car count,track count and graphics over anything the games you mention offer.Not saying your wrong just my opinion.
 
If you don't like it, don't play it. I'm seriously tired of all this whining and bitching about GT6.

And I'm tired of all the complaining about the complaining. If you don't like it don't read it. At the least the people complaining about the game actually have a point.....

On topic, PD could learn alot from other developers. It's strange in I get the sense they're actively trying not to copy features that have worked well in other games. T10 will copy anything anyone else does and put it in their game. Sometimes that's good (rivals mode copied from EA's autolog) sometimes that's bad (auto-brake copied from Grid).
 
At the least the people complaining about the game actually have a point.....

Yeah, not sure how's that going to help to the quality of GT6 anyway. If they really want a change, they should send a personal letter to the PD to make sure someone's actually going to read it, not floading it every day on GTP.
Over and out, not going to participate in this discussion anymore.
 
I would actually prefer that other developers learn everything from PD.

PD can implement plethora of elements of other games in GT, but I am not sure how many - if any - developer can pull off what PD achieved with Gran Turismo.

The grass is always greener at neighbour, but the actual quality of grass remains another issue.

Agreed. They squeezed more out of the PS3 than the largest part of the other developers. Just on the communication side of things, others should probably NOT try and learn from PD in my humble opinion ;)
 
On topic, PD could learn alot from other developers. It's strange in I get the sense they're actively trying not to copy features that have worked well in other games. T10 will copy anything anyone else does and put it in their game. Sometimes that's good (rivals mode copied from EA's autolog) sometimes that's bad (auto-brake copied from Grid).
This. Nothing wrong with borrowing ideas from others that are successful. They can be either similar or better. It's just PD being "Oh, well, we're special enough to not get ideas from others." Yeah whatever PD, that's why people assume your stuck in the 90s. Get with the program....
 
Yeah, not sure how's that going to help to the quality of GT6 anyway. If they really want a change, they should send a personal letter to the PD to make sure someone's actually going to read it, not floading it every day on GTP.
Over and out, not going to participate in this discussion anymore.
Are you really asking how did criticism ever change things for the better?
 
This. Nothing wrong with borrowing ideas from others that are successful. They can be either similar or better. It's just PD being "Oh, well, we're special enough to not get ideas from others." Yeah whatever PD, that's why people assume your stuck in the 90s. Get with the program....

Especially when the main competition started off by basically taking your whole idea in the first place. I mean FM in terms of it's single player experience is essentially a GT clone. That's one of the reasons I didn't like FM1 at first. It was billed as "GT Killer" and when I got it I thought it was a "GT Cloner" instead. Because it just took the same old GT single player formula and copied it. Start off in crappy hatchback, run a few races, upgrade car, buy new car, repeat. This same formula is still at the heart of both games really. Kind of shocking if you really think about it. Of course I later got into FM because it had really top notch online features. Especially in FM2.

I know this. If Kaz had decided to repay the favor to old Greenbucks and swipe their best ideas there'd be alot less complaining going on about this game. Take what you have now and add full leaderboard support, career races with leaderboards, car clubs, rivals mode and livery editor and you'd have a game noone would want to quit playing. Much less waste time on the internet discussing what was wrong.
 
If you go to Grid2 forums, they all complain the game is a failure.

If you go to Forza forums, they all complain the game is a failure.

If you go to GT6 forums, they all complain the game is a failure.

THIS. ;) I've heard from Reddit (specifically from /r/gaming - or was it /r/truegaming?) that any discussions about any video game series turns into a "circlejerk" of complaints. Complain this, complain that. In fighters and FPSes, for instance, you hear "NERF THIS, NERF THAT" complain everywhere. In games where canon is important, people complain about storylines.

Gamers cannot be pleased, at all. :rolleyes:
 
Are you really asking how did criticism ever change things for the better?

See the last sentence of my previous post, I've had this discussions million times and honestly I'm really tired of it and if it upsets you I'm sorry I posted in this thread. Yes, you won this internet argument, congratulations, here's a free smiley :) now stop being a smart guy with your replies.

Edit: These days you cannot even make a post let alone make a game without pissing someone off.
 
Last edited:
I've had this discussions million times and honestly I'm really tired of it

Yet you (and the rest of the whiners about complaining crowd) still manage to find your way into threads that are obviously related to people's complaints and/or suggestions for improvement and letting everyone know how you really can't stand to read what they have to say.

All it is is blatant trolling. Period.
 
Yeah, let's knock that off.

If you're tired of reading negative statements - regardless of how plentiful - don't come into the thread that has a critical overtone. It's really that simple, or at least you would think so.

It continually baffles me how people (no one in particular) who are of this mindset go out of their way to enter threads and comment on it. It makes you look worse than the ones you're being - get this - critical of.

It's just about as ironic as can be.
 
Last edited:
GT 6 seems to be an epic fail in my opinion. I would have rather them pushed more DLC's to GT5 and made GT6 revamped for the PS4. I think PD could learn a lot from looking at the Codemaster games "Grid 2" and "F1 2013". I know that "Grid 2" is arcade like, but the single player game is far more fun with different styles of racing and events. While F1 2013 has very few car models and tracks, it has the best "feel" of any racing game on the PS3. Weather is far more realistic, as well as damage (both crash and mechanical). Frankly, even if PD does deliver on the content we are waiting on, it won't do much to improve the game. I think the GT series is done. The same single player formula has been carried on from day 1 and its gotten old.


Grid 2's cockpit cam is very airy and bright, GT could learn alot from that! :sly:

Seriously though you have a point, Codemasters are great game designers and do ALOT right, my first ever game was Grand Prix Simulator on the Commodore 64 in the mid 80's, maybe without games like that I would never have got hooked on sims :cheers:
 
While F1 2013 has very few car models and tracks, it has the best "feel" of any racing game on the PS3.

:odd: You can't be serious. I own both and while F1 2013 is the best "feeling" game in the Codemasters F1 library it is complete rubbish compared to GT5 or GT6. It took me a whole weekend of fiddling with the settings on my Fanatec just to get it to feel acceptable, playing it on a Logitech wheel must be pure misery.
 
I thought Codemasters F1 games are bad.

I liked the ones by SCE Studio Liverpool far more.

The GT series aren't done at all, maybe YOU are done with the series.
 
Back