Pedal of Choice - Issue 4 Out Now!!!

• Thread starter Paulie
  • 150 comments
Well it shouldn't come as a surprise that cars come from the factory with different tyres, but I often wonder if this is programmed into the car's natural grip level in the game anyway. So you all think we should use maybe N3 tyres for sports cars and S1 tyres for supercars? I say definitely S1s for supercars, because if you've ever tried driving an F40 or Z06 on N3s it's rediculous. Using some of PD's stated tyres have given some cars an unfair advantage I admit, we just wanted to try and do production cars. Apparently you can't trust anything PD tells you.:dopey:

I agree entirely..For a moderate driver like myself, lap times in N3 for sport cars and S1 for supercars clocks very close with real life Suzuka when not pushing 100% (Although sometimes S1 still feels too much for me). On the other note, can I suggest that any testing should consider the following:

1) traction control 'on' and 'off' with the ones that have it IRL
2) Adding driver's weight on power laps

Can't wait on the next issue!!...👍

I agree entirely..For a moderate driver like myself, lap times in N3 for sport cars and S1 for supercars clocks very close with real life Suzuka when not pushing 100% (Although sometimes S1 still feels too much for me). On the other note, can I suggest that any testing should consider the following:

1) traction control 'on' and 'off' with the ones that have it IRL
2) Adding driver's weight on power laps

Can't wait on the next issue!!...👍

Even on fast laps IRL traction control is always off.:sly:

I think we should all make a collaborative magazine, based on this idea.

Because it's just that awesome.

Well it shouldn't come as a surprise that cars come from the factory with different tyres, but I often wonder if this is programmed into the car's natural grip level in the game anyway. So you all think we should use maybe N3 tyres for sports cars and S1 tyres for supercars? I say definitely S1s for supercars, because if you've ever tried driving an F40 or Z06 on N3s it's rediculous. Using some of PD's stated tyres have given some cars an unfair advantage I admit, we just wanted to try and do production cars. Apparently you can't trust anything PD tells you.:dopey:

In GT4, the consensus was N2s for road cars, N3s for sportscars.

But for those of us who used to write articles (in my sig), we used whatever the heck felt best for us. For the most part, I gave all cars the same tires (usually N3s), but for "tuner" cars, i left them on "S" tires, because some of these cars really came on R-comps in real life.

A road review isn't about laptimes per se, but comparative lap times. In other words... is this car faster than that car with the same tires, and how does it feel to drive. That part you've handled pretty well.

Looking forward to seeing you guys polish your craft and putting out more articles. God knows I love doing this stuff, but with a real magazine to write and a day job, I just can't take enough time off to do it, anymore. ;)

this is an old post i had talking about the survey i did on tires that are equiped with stock cars
Based on my own driving experience, reading car reviews, and comparing in game and real life lap times, I say N tires are the way to go. S tires are way to grippy to simulate anything lower than street legal R compund tires like Pilot Sport Cups. The best performing cars/tires get about 1 g through the corners, and can you break traction pretty easily when you want to. My estimate it this:

Supercars/fast sports cars (Viper, F430, Evo, M3) get N3's
Sports Cars (RX-8, Integra) get N2's
Economy Cars get N1's

The tires themselves aren't dead on accurate (especially in longitudinal grip) and don't let the induvidual performance of each car come through because the tire is the only thing that determines max lateral grip (so a Mini will hold as many g's as a Viper with N3's which is ridiculous), but it's the best we've got right now.

Hey buddy nice tire ratings i would like to share mine with you so we can compare and contrast and try to work out the best way to get the real feeling of the stock car.

ViperGTS stock tire are Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 got a rating of 92 cornering stability, tire grip 94 and steering response 92. it averges out to a 92 rating tire. in my tire rating chart that would be a N3 tire which is prob the best tire your going to get with a stock car. lets do the F430

F430 Stock tire Bridgestone RE050A (CS)88, (TG)89, (SR)88 average 88. So its a 88 tire grade in my tire survey which are N3, however you could also get Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 run on flats which come out to be N3. You could also get Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 which got (CS)92, (TG)94, (SR)92 which comes out with a 92 average (i would get this tire package deal!!! with the
F430)

The Evo IV comes with Yokohoma Advan A046 this tire got straight 94 across knowing the tire got a 94 tire rating these tires would be rated as N3

The BMW M3 comes with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 you should know the story about these tires N3

Both the RX-8 and Integra R come with BridgeStone RE040 which got a rating of (CS)76, (TG)80, (SR)77 which comes out to a 77 which barely made N2 tires. I agree with economy cars being N1.

Im sorry guys but i just cant give any production car S1 tires in a stock trim, unless we where talking about the tunned cars.

Last edited:
Well done guys I enjoyed the read. I do agree the tyre issue needs further deliberation though.
Not saying PD is biased to there own market or anything ;) but the only JDM vehicle not amongst the top is the Swift,(EDIT: just saw the GT-R is way down there too, but that really didnt stand a chance with its purchase price in a bang for bauck argument) otherwise by your own testing, no vehicle from outside the JDM beats those within it.

Not to take anything away though, I love the idea and look forward to your next issue!

Cheers
BroncosXR8

Well done guys. I used to love doing articles like this with GT4. Reading this makes me feel like I could start doing it again! 👍

With the approval of my colleagues, I think we shall generalise all sports cars to N3, all supercars to S1 (lots of supercars have S grade tyres these days, look at the AMG Black Series cars), other than that even if it's not realistic, for our own enjoyment we will use S1 tyres with supercars (and in some cases road cars), because no matter what, the point is as niky said, to compare the car to the other car/s. We're not trying to tell you what the real life cars can do at a certain track. If both cars are on S1 tyres you'll know which is faster under the same conditions.;)

Re: Bang for Buck now botched because different tyres were used
As we have said, we're using GT5:P as a test bed before the full game, and this is the kind of feedback we're looking for! So thanks everyone.:dopey:

As a hint, we have started to plan issue 2, but don't expect it to be as long.....

Big thankyou to Pako for making this thread a sticky.:embarrassed:

We will start working on issue 2 next week I think, release could be a week or 2 after, but we won't make promises;).:)

Really good review guys, only one thing Im not sure about, wether I miss read or something. I don't understand how the multiplier works, it just seems kind of random.

Really good review guys, only one thing Im not sure about, wether I miss read or something. I don't understand how the multiplier works, it just seems kind of random.

Pretty sure I explained it in the intro, but we had a limit of $70,000. For every whole $5,000 the car was under that price was the multiplier for the other scores. That way all the performance figures were tied to the price in some way.:)

Care to bring out a sneak peek of the next issue? After reading almost the whole entire thing, I'm hooked. Where's the Subscription button. :lol:

Care to bring out a sneak peek of the next issue? After reading almost the whole entire thing, I'm hooked. Where's the Subscription button. :lol:

A sneak peak eh?:sly: I don't know if I can do that.;)

The subscription button is under "thread tools" at the top of every page.:dopey::lol: I think it sends an e-mail or message of some kind every time there's a new post.

dude this is great!! this is really just like reading a car magazine!! you sure contribute a lot here in the GT5:P forums, Paulie . 👍👍 can't wait for you guys to post Issue #2, keep it up!!

=d24/7=

I am sure Paulie won't mind me telling you, that work has started on the next issue, at least he and doblocruiser have started, I will start next week. No time frame on it yet I don't think, shouldn't be longer than a few weeks though.

Fantastic indeed! Great job fellas!

Will future issues all be GT5P based or are we going to have a few articles on previous GT's?

Fantastic indeed! Great job fellas!

Will future issues all be GT5P based or are we going to have a few articles on previous GT's?

Good Question, to which I don't know the answer, I do know however that we plan to continue this through to GT5, but as for previous GT's I don't know, I don't even own any of them anymore.

Good Question, to which I don't know the answer, I do know however that we plan to continue this through to GT5, but as for previous GT's I don't know, I don't even own any of them anymore.

I don't have access to previous GTs either any more, so suffice to say they will all be GT5:P and GT5 based.

"I wouldn't call it the prettiest car out there either."
"Verdict- While it is a great car to drive, the looks are really ugly."

Grrrrrr.
I resent that.
350Z's look > Any car in its price range. I mean have you ever even seen an rx-8? THATs a funny lookin car..

I hate pedal of choice already!!

(jk? :P)

Nice idea and nice read as well.. looking forward to future issues! 👍

Back