Penalty System Changes Are On The Way to GT Sport This Week

Really pleased they sorted the penalty system out, had a couple of rips in sports mode yesterday (first time in months) and it’s back to business. Shame to see some still complaining but if you drive clean and show respect it seems like you are much more rewarded without the heavy pens than before. It has also removed the fear of making a fair move which in my eyes brings the game back to life. Bravo PD, at last.

Havent played the game for a while, but after watching some races on youtube it seems pretty good.

Hope it will be good in b/a rank as well :)

Well it's time for some reflection given it's now day 4 of the new system.

I think it was an unfortunate learning curve for me thrust in at the deep end for the FIA races on Wednesday so some of my
views have changed.

With the PSN downtime on Thursday and Friday I didn't really get much racing done but I did manage to get a couple of Race A
complete and had two races on the green hell yesterday.

In all races I saw no reckless moves for position, there was plenty overtaking but no obvious signs of the 10 second penalties being
handed out on Wednesday.

Now I know most would have cleared the penalty before race end but I like to think that maybe the introduction of this penalty has
actually succeeded in that people are now aware it might happen so are actually trying to do their races within the new penalty rules.

I would have expected that yesterday I'd have seen some crazyness at the green hell and although there were penalties on the go
I believe they were track rather than 10 second ones so shall see how things go tonight.

I've had 10 sec penalties in the green hell. Those were for people spinning out and shooting sideways across the track over correcting or the car in front of me not braking in time, bumping the car in front and thanks to the exaggerated physics slowing down so much I can't avoid them.

I've also seen people deliberately bump people off the road when they were about to be overtaken, bump people from behind continuously (myself included) until they finally went off road with no penalties issued. The same driver ran me off the road 3 times in one race just to crash again when he had no bumper to use as a brake. I was driving a slower oldie in traffic so his 919 caught up again. No penalties for driving me off road, just for his own out of track excursions.

I'm racing without qualifying so I always meet these types of people. Lot's of dots yesterday and lots of red at the back of the pack. Every start was chaos with 1/3rd of the field ghosted before getting to the start line.

The clean drivers are still driving clean, the dirty ones are getting more bold and getting away with more ****.

However all the little taps and bumps against me didn't hurt me either (apart from going off the track...), so I stuck to 99 SR all night and the only penalties I got were the 10 sec ones from hitting unavoidable accidents that didn't ghost in time., and once a brake check. Those 10 sec penalties usually happened in lap 1 (starting from the back, so much chaos in the first minute) and it degraded during the race without ever slowing down. About 5 sec in 3 laps.

It's too easy to shave off penalty time and I saw tons of people brake a little early then block in corners to get rid of their penalty. Very frustrating when you follow people at a safe distance and they use that space to serve their penalty in bits to unghost again when you're almost on top of their bumper. You have to follow too close for comfort to stop that behavior, yet then when they hit the car in front or spin out you get a 10 sec penalty :(

I thought this new system stopped light contact penalties and also gave smaller penalties? Well its the exact opposite for me. 6 races, each one had slight contact resulting in no loss of opponent position, no crash etc yet i keep getting 10 second penalties, something which up until now has never once happend to me before. Ive been proud to be a DR S for months but now im back to a B. Absolutely fuming and close to forgetting about this game.

This relaxing of the penalties is meant to stop the flagship races turning into penalty fests and hopefully promote more action. Everyone else (the inconsequential 99.9% minority) has to lube up and grit their teeth.

They could just turn off penalties for the super star races and have real stewards watching the action.

It didn't cross my mind, but this makes sense given the prestige of the FIA Championships will demand the highest level of stewardship. Good for the top tier drivers, but too bad for the rest as there are no stewards and dirty tactics will go unnoticed. I wonder though, could PD really be this inconsiderate to the broader fan base? Really? Tell me it isn't so.

They had to change the penalties and I'd say they were much better for the FIA races (top drivers) I've watched. More action going on and you can see the hips and elbows starting to come out. They got the update right there as they're pretty good at self policing.

For everyone below, it's almost back to the first version of the penalties with people bullying their way through again. PD had to know that would happen.

Yup, the penalty system is broken now. Just received back to back 10 sec penalties for the lightest, LIGHTEST of taps to the guy in front who took the Senna S wrong in the first two laps. Absolutely nothing happened, he didn’t have to correct his car in the slightest. Yet I had 20 seconds worth of penalties after two laps for doing absolutely nothing. Such a joke

Yup, the penalty system is broken now. Just received back to back 10 sec penalties for the lightest, LIGHTEST of taps to the guy in front who took the Senna S wrong in the first two laps. Absolutely nothing happened, he didn’t have to correct his car in the slightest. Yet I had 20 seconds worth of penalties after two laps for doing absolutely nothing. Such a joke
Replay?

I quit the race right then and there after the second penalty. So no replay, sorry.

Totally with you there. It gets to the point where you think what is the point in continuing? God knows what they have done to the system but its the exact opposite to what they advertised a few days back. Ive never once complained about the penalty system before but this sucks big time. Its a genuine game ender for me.

Totally with you there. It gets to the point where you think what is the point in continuing? God knows what they have done to the system but its the exact opposite to what they advertised a few days back. Ive never once complained about the penalty system before but this sucks big time. Its a genuine game ender for me.
I have no problem serving a penalty when I was actually in the wrong. In the race after I closed the door on a guy who tried to squeeze a last second overtake in turn 4. Well, the game gave me a 5 sec penalty and I accepted that. I should have given him more room, even though he divebombed.

But a 10 sec penalty for tapping the guy in front, who basically only gets a small boost and I lose momentum? Just stupid. Ruins your whole race.

The new penalty system is rubbish...
I've seen people getting 10 or 15 seconds of penalty for door to door racing, it just doesn't make sense.

This video is of a race I did yesterday. Watch the greenish Mégane Trophy.
We were side by side in the left hand corner. I left him plenty of space on the inside.
For the right hand corner I turned in early for him to have plenty of space on the outside.
He turned in way too early, hit my car and the game decided to give me a 10(!) second penalty.
That's just rubbish.
In my opinion he deserved a penalty, and if so only a 1 second penalty as this was only a small mistake.

Exactly.. and
After racing with the changes, I think they're absolute 🤬. I just got divebombed at full speed twice, the other driver got I think a 3 sec penalty the second time and nothing the first time. As far as I'm concerned these changes will destroy any sliver of clean racing we had before.

So congrats I guess to all the whiners who complained about tough penalties, you got the garbage dump you asked for.
What i can't get around my head is they stated minor contact will no longer result in penalties and all other penalties will now be smaller when in fact they meant the exact opposite! How are they allowed to get away with what was blatantly a lie?! And why would they deliberately lie?

Because thats what they are doing even before the game was out! Duhhhh!!!!!

Biggest Fat Lie on any video game: "GTS will be the best online racing simulation game ever... and will become the ruling game on this area that all other developers will follow!"

These are not the exact words but was the overall meaning of the blasting start "proclamation"...

Not posted on here in years but Polyphony have somehow made the new penalty system worse than the old one which is some achievement considering how bad the old system was.

Just been racing on Monza. Person in front brake checked me down to 1st chicane. I tried to brake early but tapped him in the rear.

It wasn't deliberate, it wasn't hard enough to force him off the track and he retained 1st position. Yet I still get a 10 second penalty? It's a joke. The punishment doesn't fit the action.

Polyphony should have devised a penalty system that forces players to give positions back if they've gained an advantage from ramming them etc.

What i can't get around my head is they stated minor contact will no longer result in penalties and all other penalties will now be smaller when in fact they meant the exact opposite! How are they allowed to get away with what was blatantly a lie?! And why would they deliberately lie?

I've only ran a handful of races since the update but every small contact I've had has got me nothing in penalties since, which is how it should be. Before the update I was getting 5 and 10 seconds for nothing, even cars bouncing off me on the way past and I watched videos where other people would get 1/2 seconds for similar things to me. Something, probably lag, must completely break the system for it to be so different depending on the player.

These are some observations I wish to make in this discussion about the new penalty system as this is something I have
observed in my racing since.

If you are given a 10 second penalty or incur multiple of these the amount of points deducted appears to offset any improvement points you get from green SR during the remainder of the race thus it would appear that you will always be given orange SR for a race with penalties and thus possibly loose a rank or points at your current level.

It also appears from my Race A (Monza) experience that if you have a race where you get shortcut penalties you get no improvement/loss of your SR thus remain at the same level.

The only way it seems to incur blue SR is to have a race where you can run the risk of a penalty from shortcut's across track but the main improvement only comes from a clean race or gaining positions in a race where you have had penalties.

If this is already discussed apologies but haven't seen this mentioned so far.

I'm probably going to get burned at the stake for this, but oh well. Last night on daily race c, I was getting fed up with getting bumped and punted by everyone. Someone bumped me for like the 8th time in 2 laps so I "gently" guided him off some, totally and completely on purpose. And I didn't get a penalty. I really did not understand how. Actually, I got a clean race bonus. Probably my one and only time doing something like that on purpose, but I'm very surprised I didn't get a penalty or anything.

I'll accept my GTP punishment now :lol:

I thought this new system stopped light contact penalties and also gave smaller penalties? Well its the exact opposite for me. 6 races, each one had slight contact resulting in no loss of opponent position, no crash etc yet i keep getting 10 second penalties, something which up until now has never once happend to me before. Ive been proud to be a DR S for months but now im back to a B. Absolutely fuming and close to forgetting about this game.

I am the same way - mostly "S" for all the time I've played. Yesterday, I started "S", and rage quit after the 2nd crash fest and now I am an SR "C". I have no desire to log on anymore as I am not initiating any contact, getting bumped left and right, and I am the one getting the penalties. I just don't get it.

My 1st post here. I'd stopped playing Sport 'cause of the previous poor penalty system.

I'm playing Sport again due to the penalty changes. It's loads better. No science or numbers here, just how it feels to me.

I'm still pretty **** at the game though. Can't PD do something about that as well??? :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
PD really can't please everyone with the penalty system. I'm seeing people saying that they love and others saying that they hate it. It's always a 50/50 split. I wish I could form my own opinion on the penalty system but I don't own GTS and online is locked behind a paywall.

Latest Posts

Back