Penalty System Changes Are On The Way to GT Sport This Week

:tup:Wow that’s the best news and announcement in GTS for a long long time.
If they truly get it right or at least come closer to a good compromise it‘ll probably bring back a lot of drivers who stopped playing Sport Mode lately or since way back( including me ) .
It’s the basic for each! Game to have clear defined rules which count for everyone the same! way.
Without that basic roots, every game is doomed to fail in my opinion

I’m happy for lighter penalty times but the ability to scrub them while coasting round a corner on the racing line has to stop. Penalties should only scrub while off the racing line (including not in the pit lane).

For race C and FIA races they should all be pit penalties or added on at the end of the race. If it’s under 10 seconds you can carry it, if it’s over 10 seconds you’ll have to pit at the end of that lap.

Last edited:
Whatever happened to the supposed increase to a penalty if not served during a race?

I chased a car for 3 laps at Monza in a daily race where he had the penalty warning above his car for all 3 laps.

As he crossed the line all he got was 1 second added to his time. At no point during the 3 laps did he make any effort to lose his penalty as his car never ghosted.

What??? I wanted them much harsher. People keep punting me off in chicanes while im in third place in the FIA races they dont get penalized they finish in third and i finish in position 12!!! Explain your reasoning... this is clearly punishing clean (and patient) drivers. It will create more contact! I dont get it guys...

What??? I wanted them much harsher. People keep punting me off in chicanes while im in third place in the FIA races they dont get penalized they finish in third and i finish in position 12!!! Explain your reasoning... this is clearly punishing clean (and patient) drivers. It will create more contact! I dont get it guys...

What is your Driver Rating and Sportsmanship Rating?

The amount of friction amongst the community caused by the former super-strict (and rather stubborn) penalty system was a game breaker for me. I have never known a race discipline to be so 'anti-contact.' It's like defending a corner kick in football and being told not to brush/touch an opponent. It's almost impossible.

Some friends from my real racing days will be attracted to this, as they can mirror their driving style from the real world.
Defending and overtaking can be a little aggressive, but fair and clean. I've been tired of a few 'aliens' not checking their mirrors, not reacting to my defensive line, and blaming me for contact when I know for a fact it wasn't my fault that we both served penalties. For those with let's say a high 'racing IQ,' the changes should be a massive advantage

DR B. SR S

Driver points from kudisprime are fluctuating between 23.000 and 21000.

If i didnt get punted off track almost every race i probably be a bit higher in the ratings since I receive penalties for being clean.
I race at most 3 hours in the week... maybe thats why Im frustrated at these decisions to lower penalties, i dont know

Edit: sure i dont care about a little rubbing during battles thats fun especially when the defending lines can be a bit strange to the attacker during corner entrance. But those nudges can push the whole car off the track and when that happens it has to be penalized, right?

Last edited:
This is the discussion thread for a recent post on GTPlanet:
This article was published by Andrew Evans (@Famine) on July 10th, 2018 in the Gran Turismo Sport category.

light contacts between cars will no longer result in a penalty. This rather leaves what forms “light” to the imagination, but for those who believe rubbing is racing this will be good news.

I guess it will be the same as the clean race bonus in single player? Light contact with cars and walls and you will not loose the clean race bonus, bounce off cars and walls and your clean race bonus is gone.

Last edited:
519DF385-99EC-4EC1-82C2-1E54F6117556.jpeg
The amount of friction amongst the community caused by the former super-strict (and rather stubborn) penalty system was a game breaker for me. I have never known a race discipline to be so 'anti-contact.' It's like defending a corner kick in football and being told not to brush/touch an opponent. It's almost impossible.

Some friends from my real racing days will be attracted to this, as they can mirror their driving style from the real world.
Defending and overtaking can be a little aggressive, but fair and clean. I've been tired of a few 'aliens' not checking their mirrors, not reacting to my defensive line, and blaming me for contact when I know for a fact it wasn't my fault that we both served penalties. For those with let's say a high 'racing IQ,' the changes should be a massive advantage

This is overall good news and I like how it’s now the same across all DR levels.

But it depends what they class as light contact, which I agree most penalties for this were ridiculous in its current state but I fear this will bring back barge passing.

I agree racing involves some contact which is all fair when both fighting in the same corner but it’s a fine line which gets too easily blurred into barging past.

light contacts between cars will no longer result in a penalty. This rather leaves what forms “light” to the imagination, but for those who believe rubbing is racing this will be good news.

Hmm, just turning that off will result in more dirty pushing. Already it doesn't penalize players that push you off the track from the side. Instead of turning it off it should look at the result. A slight bump or nudge without slowing the car in front down, no penalty. A slight bump or nudge forcing the car in front to make corrections 2 sec. If the car in front goes off the road and the other car takes the position 10 sec.

Of course that only works if the system can determine who pushes who and doesn't penalize the victim when an aggressor bounces himself off the road while touching another car.

I agree!
It happened to me a lot... crazy drivers running into you.
they should introduce black flag, or after 3 penalties you get a black flag.

DR-S SR-S

This sounds glorious. Rubbing is part of racing, especially in the GT classes. Sometimes contact is unavoidable and getting hit with a 4+ second penalty just because was not beneficial for racing.

Let’s hope this actually works!

Define rubbing..

Rubbing is part of what? where does this come from, often the slightest of touches of the wall or from other cars causes mayhem, the touches you are talking about must be very very gentle. What i have seen considered "rubbing" here were more like full contact with instant paypack outside the walled garden of make believe racing..

What we needed wasn´t less punishment, just that it was more fair and was better at punishing those that could not drive clean..

DR B. SR S

Driver points from kudisprime are fluctuating between 23.000 and 21000.

If i didnt get punted off track almost every race i probably be a bit higher in the ratings since I receive penalties for being clean.
I race at most 3 hours in the week... maybe thats why Im frustrated at these decisions to lower penalties, i dont know

Edit: sure i dont care about a little rubbing during battles thats fun especially when the defending lines can be a bit strange to the attacker during corner entrance. But those nudges can push the whole car off the track and when that happens it has to be penalized, right?
It should! But I bet that with this so so smartc change that moove will be exploited by all dirty racers from GTS in all races... and they will get away with it... easily... once more.. as allways..PD chooses the easiest and lousiest solution...

Well any changes to the penalty system are most welcome for me since I dislike the current application and determination of
penalties a lot and has probably been the root causing of me going up and down the ladder.

I will be very interested to see the changes tomorrow to see if that keeps me racing but there's an important thing I want to say here that
I hope the new system does not go the way of having to take the penalties when they happen like we had before as that could be problems again.

Also I am still a believer in this carrying the penalties to the end is a pain so I hope they don't try to tweak that too much.

I've a feeling it could make things worse for drivers who are more cautious at trying to either defend or pass another driver into a corner, BUT......we'll see after a few days/weeks testing. I hope for all of us it's a better solution than what we have now, if not.....PD will have to keep tweaking

Whatever happened to the supposed increase to a penalty if not served during a race?

I chased a car for 3 laps at Monza in a daily race where he had the penalty warning above his car for all 3 laps.

As he crossed the line all he got was 1 second added to his time. At no point during the 3 laps did he make any effort to lose his penalty as his car never ghosted.

The penalties do increase if you don't serve them. Let's say you have a .5s penalty and don't serve it before the end of the race, it becomes 1s. It always gets rounded up. If you have 1.2s and don't serve it, it becomes 2s. If your accumulated penalties go over 10s and you don't serve it almost right away, the penalty indicator starts flashing as a warning, if you still don't serve it, it will gradually and dramatically increase until you are stopped on the track or disqualified.

I know this is meant to promote closer racing, but there are still heavy outliers that are out of line with the spirit of actual racing.

Last FIA race: GT3 at Nürburgring. Heading to the Dunlop Hairpin on the first lap, which is taken at about 60-70mph depending on tires and car, someone pulled a piledriver from hell on me. I initially wrote it off to someone simply griefing. As is tradition, I got a penalty for being absolutely slammed from behind. Since I was way out in the gravel, I then got a warning that I will be disqualified if I don't rejoin the track quickly - which is real fun when you're beached in a huge graveltrap. Since I didn't want to take out anyone while rejoining the track, I lost a bunch of time for that too. And after rejoining I then get an additional penalty for being offtrack. But that's not all, the impact from the other guy absolutely destroyed my engine, all four tires and most of my spoilers. Would have been faster driving a Fiat 500 at that point.

So I went from 5th position to dead last in a single corner with massive penalties, a broken car that cost me another 15 seconds easily before the damage magically dissapears and a disqualification warning because why not kick the dog while its down already. The only redemption I had that race was that the racing was really fun and clean at the end.

So yeah, lets reduce penalties for messing up people's races entirely. Not just a few seconds, but literally taking them out of contention of achieving anything remotely close to where they should be running. Totally onboard with that /s

Edit: There's a fundamental design flaw with the penalty system in that it's too harsh for honest, close racing where minimalistic trading of paint can happen, and too soft for those who have come to play dirty.

Last edited:
Back