PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

What makes you think that?

The next time you play, have a look down at the lower left hand corner of the screen. That's where you will see the damage indicator. What we have been discussing is impact force, not just impact. If someone brake checks you, there is going to be either A) enough force to knock them off track, or at least B) enough force to cause damage. If you make contact without causing enough impact force to be of consequence, then no penalty.

It can be detected with accuracy, because it is currently being detected with accuracy.
When someone brakes early in front of me I do as the instructional video says, and I drive off the track to the outside. There is no contact at all.

When someone brakes early in front of me I do as the instructional video says, and I drive off the track to the outside. There is no contact at all.

OMG, WHY are you using the instructional video?

When you are coming into a braking zone, move to the inside just as you enter it (so just after the shift indicator flashes). If they brake early, you'll pass them. If they brake regular, you're fine. Chances are they'll freak out and screw up (if they are the type to use brake checks).

At the very least, you should be feinting these moves to get them freaking out a little. They'll out brake themselves trying to keep you behind them and probably run wide.

If you don't know/trust the people in front of you, don't closely follow them into the braking zone. Give yourself leeway.

OMG, WHY are you using the instructional video?

When you are coming into a braking zone, move to the inside just as you enter it (so just after the shift indicator flashes). If they brake early, you'll pass them. If they brake regular, you're fine. Chances are they'll freak out and screw up (if they are the type to use brake checks).

At the very least, you should be feinting these moves to get them freaking out a little. They'll out brake themselves trying to keep you behind them and probably run wide.

If you don't know/trust the people in front of you, don't closely follow them into the braking zone. Give yourself leeway.

This.

As long as I’ve played, when I’m close to someone in the braking zone, I always move to the available lane to avoid hitting them. Like @Voodoovaj said, this move makes the defender panic. Its a well known tactic. You can’t go off track on Toyko so that video makes no sense.

Edit: Clips 1, 3 and 4 in this video are good examples:

Last edited:
This current system is by far the worst going. Everyone is an S driver now and those that already were don’t worry about losing it as it’s so easy to regain.

In the past 48hrs my driver rating has tanked by 50%. I have a consistent top 5 qualifying position at Brands, more often than not Pole or second. However most races I’m punted off in a bid for the lead and spun right round to the back of the grid with no hope of catching back up.

Then this evening in the Nations Cup I watched someone punt his way through 7 cars, without doubt deliberately, so I took it upon myself to play out karma. Sent him into orbit (and rage quit) and I didn’t get so much as a one second penalty.

I never thought I’d say it but bring back the old system, please.

Last night in nations i Qualy 3rd in T1 i was sent to orbit to the back of pack along with the pole guy that was also punted in T1, all the race was a recover one saving fuel and tyres ended up in 7st and the guy that took the pole in 8st behind me.
Trash people really enjoy this penalty system, anyway karma sometimes work and the guy ho ruined my race ended up in 13rd.

Been a while since I raced online in GT Sport, but the current ‘system’ is just beyond awful. You almost get awarded for being a absolute dick. This afternoon I encountered this wonderful player who wiped me out in the very last corner. Turns out this is one of ‘those’ people:

Last edited by a moderator:
Been a while since I raced online in GT Sport, but the current ‘system’ is just beyond awful. You almost get awarded for being a absolute dick. This afternoon I encountered this wonderful player who wiped me out in the very last corner. Turns out this is one of ‘those’ people:

Not just one of those people, but bad at being bad too. Still got second, so might as well have stayed clean and feel good afterwards.
I have however under this current state of penalties (or lack of) seen a growing number of people taking out the thrash. The deliberately dirty drivers get ping-ponged by the rest. Maybe that will give them some respect.

No penalty system will change someone like that (unless they get banned). As @RacingGrandpa said, they had 2nd sewn up but threw it away just so they could ram you off. They did get a penalty that stuffed up their own result. There isn't much more a penalty system can do.

And always watch your mirrors. You'll get used to seeing the warning signs and can get out of divers way, which can be immensely satisfying!

I know everyone doesn't like the fact I wish more penalties & Heavy damage plus high fuel & tyre wear in the FIA & at least one daily race C or B.
There should be a pit exit penalty, You should not be allowed to cross the white line when exiting the pit lane. Like I see many do to try out you off.
I still wish penalties which is in the game was fully used, FIA should be @ league level full penalties & damage.

But that's just me I guess we had it in F1 so why not a proper game like GT

I understand you trying to do the best , but you also need to do the best for yourself.
You know the braking & you know yours, instead of going off brake early just be be sure, that way you done get your tyres dirty which will cause you more problems than being slower in the corner, or you do as voodovaj said move to the inside.
Also stop sticking to one race line. Know how wide a track is & look out for marbles.

& Heavy damage

I think the problem with heavy damage is, it would take to much time until it's positive effect kicks in. Until the last moron understands that there is no way but to behave, countless races would've been already destroyed and perhaps the majority of the current players would've already left the game, or at least sportmode.

No penalty system will change someone like that (unless they get banned). As @RacingGrandpa said, they had 2nd sewn up but threw it away just so they could ram you off. They did get a penalty that stuffed up their own result. There isn't much more a penalty system can do.

And always watch your mirrors. You'll get used to seeing the warning signs and can get out of divers way, which can be immensely satisfying!

I just didn't expect the shunt. Did more races did afternoon, and my god, what a bunch of awful players I have met. One guy kept mentioning he was not a dirty player, but (!) in order to keep his (B) rating, he felt he needed to bump others as a proactive countermeasure. So, that was good fun..

And to make things worse, if you get shunted into the barriers, you will get a 5 second penalty. I don't think a penalty system can be flawless, but at the moment it is the worst it has ever been.

How do you finish a race? I've never gone thru a race where someone hasn't braked early. Usually it's a small bump and continue on. If I drove outside every time someone braked early, I'd never finish a race, and have more grass on my tires than on the lawn.

Seen players getting actual penalties on Race B this week.

Now, they are not 5 second penalties for ramming someone off at a corner, sending them off to the never never, or for dive bombing and taking 3 or 4 cars out, but these are more for the gentle, but very sly edge you off the track ever so slowly penalties. 1 second here, 2 seconds there, maybe sometimes a 0.5 second penalty pops up.

These are in C/S and B/S lobbies.

I did see some on the EMEA server on Tuesday rack up 25 seconds of penalties by T4 of Lap 2 in Race B. Pretty impressive!

Seen players getting actual penalties on Race B this week.

Now, they are not 5 second penalties for ramming someone off at a corner, sending them off to the never never, or for dive bombing and taking 3 or 4 cars out, but these are more for the gentle, but very sly edge you off the track ever so slowly penalties. 1 second here, 2 seconds there, maybe sometimes a 0.5 second penalty pops up.

These are in C/S and B/S lobbies.

I did see some on the EMEA server on Tuesday rack up 25 seconds of penalties by T4 of Lap 2 in Race B. Pretty impressive!

I hope this is PD trying something out for a new penalty system next update.

I had someone fixate on me in the FIA race for some reason, starting in the warmup, and just smashed into me at every opportunity from there on out. Multiple other people too, straight into turn one with no brakes and also no consequences. Managed to ram me off a half dozen more times and ruined my one shot I had for today on the FIA races.

A driver like that would be black flagged right away in real life so if this is supposed to be a racing simulator, a little (no, a lot!) more realism please.

Like the above commenter, no way am I coming back until this is fixed. I’ve been avoiding it since the recent change because most of my races were aggravating and no fun anymore. Nice job breaking my Gran Turismo Sport addiction, PD! I’ve got other games to explore now anyway.

I hope this is PD trying something out for a new penalty system next update.

Saw quite a few 5 second penalties today in EMEA C/S group in Race B. It seems if you ram someone off the 'correct' way, you do indeed get a 5 second penalty.

Conversely, I've started from the back in every race, finished as high as 4th, low as 8th, and just got my 7th CRB.

My one month subscription, bought for me at Xmas by my daughters other half, ends today and I'm in two minds whether to renew. During the last week I've concentrated on Race B at Brands and have seen a mixture of behaviour, mostly nitwit mentality, which has ruined the whole experience.

I go into each race with my clean race hat on, only to be shunted around relentlessly. I was progressing nicely to around half way up the DR/C ranking (that line which appears in your menu) with a score of 6,756, only to be shunted into last place twice with loss of 1,037 points in one sitting. My duel shock controller has found its way around most of the living room this week and if I'd had a steering wheel, it would probably have gone through the telly. In short, I'm experiencing virtual road rage over a game supposed to be enjoyable to play.

I overtook another driver cleanly on a bend, with absolutely no contact and the next thing I know is moron head is beside me with bang, bang, bang into my side because it's an out-driven sore loser. There is a distinct lack of sportsmanship at the moment and, as I've said before, it's probably down to testosterone filled kids, who should be playing Call Of Duty, or the like. The joke is that they've probably never driven a real car.

I'm starting to understand the scoring system a little now by looking at progress on the PC between races. Last three were as follows:

Low point 5,719
- Started 6th - Finished 3rd - up to 6,587
- gained 3 places - up to 6,748
- gained 5 places - up to 6,981

My score was 6,526 at 188 races and now 6,981 at 268 races. So in 80 races a progression of 455 points - hardly mind-blowing after all the adrenalin pumped into the atmosphere!

I will renew because I love the sport, but wish they would address the current broken penalty system quickly. On one occasion I was shunted off the track, collected a 5 second penalty, finished last and the offender drove away unscathed. Surely that's fundamentally wrong.

I feel your pain and it just shows what pathetic people do when they don't have the ability to win fairly. Morons!

There is a lot of shunting and bumping on Spa as well during the first lap or two. After that the field is spread out enough and the biggest trouble makers have already quit (so many DNFs on that track this week) that the rest of the race is a lot cleaner. I haven't seen any actual penalties getting handed out but have received ignoring track limit penalties for getting bumped wide... Meanwhile a notorious often very dirty player was winning the races and making sure the top was not the place to be. I managed to climb out of the back field (starting last) then getting in no mans land in the middle usually finishing 5th to 7th with a 3 sec gap to the car in front and behind.

Revenge punts happen every race now with little regard to who else gets hit while barging through the inside is the way to pass. GTS turned into a full contact sport. Which does make the clean drivers stand out more. Getting a clean contact free battle with another driver is still possible and is awesome when you meet someone like that. The problem is that often a 3rd car shows up that doesn't care about driving clean and rams his way through ending the fun. I've punted a couple of those off myself then resumed racing clean with the driver I was having a great race with. At least you can do that now :/

During the last week I've concentrated on Race B at Brands and have seen a mixture of behaviour, mostly nitwit mentality, which has ruined the whole experience.

Yep, I did a couple more BH races before deciding to give up since it was more GTShmup than Sport.

Meanwhile Spa has been thoroughly clean besides the odd troublemaker although I think that can be contributed to the fact people are driving more carefully in wet conditions and not taking risks. I hope more tracks will be rained on; It does seem to place more dirty drivers on the leash.

That said, there's still an element of luck in races as to whether people will race clean or not but I generally think as long as you continue to be respectful, so will your opponents.

That said, there's still an element of luck in races as to whether people will race clean or not but I generally think as long as you continue to be respectful, so will your opponents.

A bit, I suppose. Maybe it's because I'm stuck pretty much smack dab in the middle of DR.C (or was until I was punted off Laguna a bunch last night) but what I've noticed is that the truly clean driver is becoming an endangered species in this game. Dive bombing to the inside and using your opponent as a guard rail to keep you on the track has become the standard way to overtake now. It's also pretty standard for people to bump you off the racing line so they can have it.

It's been pretty interesting to see the progression of the overall driving during this lack of contact penalty phase. It went from dirty drivers and punters having a field day, to everyone realizing they can retaliate, to bumper cars becoming the norm.

Some penalties still work. I hope this is not what PD is working on and just a remnant of the broken system.

2 sec penalty for me for a car 2 cars behind plowing through
2DtENLb.gif

3 sec penalty for, erm?
6IS3UgY.gif

It's a **** show on Spa this afternoon. I've never seen so much contact as in my last race. I quit after that second penalty, back to Death Stranding. What a joke.

Ah, I see now, that second penalty was because of a yellow flag from further ahead. (a car one lap down in 20th place was doing donuts on the track ahead) Thus I was not allowed to pass the car that went off track... The reason shows for 0.2 sec on the original video, immediately disappeared again. Good thing the good old useless yellow flag penalty is still alive! Except the car behind me passed him as well and didn't get the penalty...

Last edited:
A bit, I suppose. Maybe it's because I'm stuck pretty much smack dab in the middle of DR.C (or was until I was punted off Laguna a bunch last night) but what I've noticed is that the truly clean driver is becoming an endangered species in this game. Dive bombing to the inside and using your opponent as a guard rail to keep you on the track has become the standard way to overtake now. It's also pretty standard for people to bump you off the racing line so they can have it.

It's been pretty interesting to see the progression of the overall driving during this lack of contact penalty phase. It went from dirty drivers and punters having a field day, to everyone realizing they can retaliate, to bumper cars becoming the norm.
I ran nationals on Laguna too. The qualifying was a fantastic display of demolition derby.
The first one and a half, two laps was also pretty dirty, if not like the qualifying but once the racers where spread out it calmed down a lot. I went from 15 to 5 so saw a good cross section of the racers and the majority was clean but fairly aggressive. Some where having a hard time handling the Porsche. Then there was a few really dirty drivers among the rest who wrecked havock around them but they didn't manage to move up so much so they affected a few stretches and when people saw how they drove they got either pushed out of the way or they ran themselves off trying to inflict damage on others.
All in all it was the most exciting points race I have ever done. And far better than any daily I have had.

I don't know if this is a strictly DR C thing but I can relate after my races at BH. I only did 1 race at Maggiore and that was also messy. Spa the polar opposite.

A/S hasn't been as bad. I've been on receiving end of what you described but less. I wouldn't go so far to call it a standard way to overtake or a truly clean driver an endangered species. There's a lot of clean people out there although should the system stay this way, I can see a number of them leaving. It's a question of how long they're willing to tolerate no penalties or if they simply don't care. I can only speak from experience so someone else's mileage may vary.

Anyhow, almost the end of the month so maybe news of an update soon.

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been discussed already, but have they "disabled" most of the penalties? I haven't played in a few weeks (thanks, Dark Souls 3) and just finished a race in which I bumped and was bumped but didn't see any penalties around. Crazy.

Exactly, the only penalities you can get are cutting the track and apparently if you're not lucky, overtake during yellow flag.

Also, SR system is broken and now everyone is SR.S. Dirty driver paradise.

Back