PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

Trying hard to get a clean race bonus and raise my SR. It was going fine for the first 95% of the race, but then.....
Thanks a lot PD. You douchebags.

At least I gained 3 spots at the finish, due to track limit penalties.

In all fairness the rcz was up the inside early, showed his intentions fairly and made the apex. You squeezed him onto the inside grass. Seems a fair Sr down to me. Surprised you didn’t get a penalty which would’ve really sucked. Looks like a fun race 👍

Trying hard to get a clean race bonus and raise my SR. It was going fine for the first 95% of the race, but then.....
Thanks a lot PD. You douchebags.

At least I gained 3 spots at the finish, due to track limit penalties.

Unfortunately it's an either/or situation in GTS. You can either race or raise your SR. You can't do both, that's almost impossible with this penalty system.

In all fairness the rcz was up the inside early, showed his intentions fairly and made the apex.

Was up the inside early? Did you look at the radar? I wonder what you would consider late. :lol: Yes, it was quite clear that he was going to do it (because, you know, GTS) and somehow he even made the apex but if the Lambo hadn't been there, he would have gone wide and got himself a penalty (which he got anyway literally the next corner :lol:). He needed to hit the Lambo to make the corner and that makes it a dive bomb. The guy in the Peugeot doesn't have a clue what a clean overtake looks like (I checked his KP profile). That kind of moves will only ever happen in video games because there is absolutely no threat of ending up in a hospital or worse. This would rarely happen in real life (let alone the Lambo getting punished for it). But I agree with you about one thing. I too was quite surprised it was just an SR down and not a penalty for the Lambo. :lol:

Unfortunately it's an either/or situation in GTS. You can either race or raise your SR. You can't do both, that's almost impossible with this penalty system.

Was up the inside early? Did you look at the radar? I wonder what you would consider late. :lol: Yes, it was quite clear that he was going to do it (because, you know, GTS) and somehow he even made the apex but if the Lambo hadn't been there, he would have gone wide and got himself a penalty (which he got anyway literally the next corner :lol:). He needed to hit the Lambo to make the corner and that makes it a dive bomb. The guy in the Peugeot doesn't have a clue what a clean overtake looks like (I checked his KP profile). That kind of moves will only ever happen in video games because there is absolutely no threat of ending up in a hospital or worse. This would rarely happen in real life (let alone the Lambo getting punished for it). But I agree with you about one thing. I too was quite surprised it was just an SR down and not a penalty for the Lambo. :lol:

Yes the rcz on the final turn was way out on a limb but since the op didn’t get a Sr down for that I assumed not the move in question.

I’m not so sure on the penultimate corner and I don’t thinks it’s clear cut, it’s certainly close but if op had of given more room I think the offending car would’ve made it ok without contact. (He’s forced all over the grass and so isn’t coming in too hot as he wouldn’t be able to hold that line).
It was certainly a dive, but he gave op plenty of room and was alongside way before the apex, if you slow it down you can see in the radar he’s side by side well before the apex, although on a much tighter line.
If op had of actually defended I doubt he would’ve even tried it.
We really need to see it from the offenders viewpoint, normally I would say that corner isn’t an overtaking opportunity but it always looks inviting during a race so needs to be defending to stop those drivers even thinking about
Glad op didn’t get a penalty though for sure and I hope the offending car received a Sr down too although I doubt they did. :lol:

edit: I think if op had of given space and the offender still hit him then yes for sure. As the op didn’t give them that chance I’d say racing incident.
Really want to see it from the other drivers view if op has it. I find quite often that moves don’t look half as bad from another angle and myself as a defender could’ve done a better job at defending/giving space etc.

Last edited:

I actually managed two "clean races" in a row earlier, from the back too, I was shocked.:eek: Normally it goes like the below. :ouch:

You just know the penalty it actually gave was for running into the back of the Czech driver or because of another car hitting the back of them afterwards (maybe more likely with this system). The two cars (including me) knocked off didn't matter one bit, what a stupid system. :lol:

:gtpflag:

Yes the rcz on the final turn was way out on a limb but since the op didn’t get a Sr down for that I assumed not the move in question.

I’m not so sure on the penultimate corner and I don’t thinks it’s clear cut, it’s certainly close but if op had of given more room I think the offending car would’ve made it ok without contact. (He’s forced all over the grass and so isn’t coming in too hot as he wouldn’t be able to hold that line).
It was certainly a dive, but he gave op plenty of room and was alongside way before the apex, if you slow it down you can see in the radar he’s side by side well before the apex, although on a much tighter line.
If op had of actually defended I doubt he would’ve even tried it.
We really need to see it from the offenders viewpoint, normally I would say that corner isn’t an overtaking opportunity but it always looks inviting during a race so needs to be defending to stop those drivers even thinking about
Glad op didn’t get a penalty though for sure and I hope the offending car received a Sr down too although I doubt they did. :lol:

edit: I think if op had of given space and the offender still hit him then yes for sure. As the op didn’t give them that chance I’d say racing incident.
Really want to see it from the other drivers view if op has it. I find quite often that moves don’t look half as bad from another angle and myself as a defender could’ve done a better job at defending/giving space etc.
I didn't really have a problem with what the other cars did. The contacts were light, and I consider them racing incidents.
My only gripe is with the SR down penalty. I didn't think anyone needed to be penalized there.

I didn't really have a problem with what the other cars did. The contacts were light, and I consider them racing incidents.
My only gripe is with the SR down penalty. I didn't think anyone needed to be penalized there.

I wish more people had this attitude on track :cheers:.

I preferred the system when it was super strict and arguably over the top. If I were giving them out I would give both drivers neutral SR or maybe a very minor SR down (1 or 2 points). I expect you got 10sr down which is a complete joke. The system is very broken.

So, I dared to do one race from the back at Suzuka today and this happened. No matter how many times I watch it, I can't seem to figure out what car I forced off the track.

Yep, this penalty system works perfectly and is not broken in any way. :lol:

The car who you tapped you in the rear at the start of the clip. That you both got penalties ridiculous, but it is what it is.

Edit: I watched wrong car in second half of clip. Above updated.

Last edited:
So, I dared to do one race from the back at Suzuka today and this happened. No matter how many times I watch it, I can't seem to figure out what car I forced off the track.

I doubt it's a consolation for you but in some twisted and completely unintended way, the system ran under shared fault for this incident.

I watched it several times and tried to figure out a logical explanation and I'm at a loss.

I next looked at it from the system's illogical perspective and thought maybe it detected the car who made contact at your bumper as going outside track limits by crossing the green area on the outside apex. Therefore 'forcing' him off the track. Honestly, this is dumb. PD, take note.

I doubt it's a consolation for you but in some twisted and completely unintended way, the system ran under shared fault for this incident.

I wish but I doubt it.

I next looked at it from the system's illogical perspective and thought maybe it detected the car who made contact at your bumper as going outside track limits by crossing the green area on the outside apex. Therefore 'forcing' him off the track. Honestly, this is dumb. PD, take note.

I thought of that too but there's a slight problem with that. This is a corner that you can cut extremely. You can go all wheels across the "astroturf" without triggering a shortcut penalty. I did it literally every lap in that very race. So why the hell the game suddenly decided that this tiny cut was off the track is beyond me. Well, that's just another example of this penalty system's consistency. I think not even the "coders" would know what the hell happened there. :lol:

Last edited:
There should be no ghost and PD has to find a way for a new system. Call your game "real driving sim" and make these ghosts appear on your screen lol

There should be no ghost and PD has to find a way for a new system. Call your game "real driving sim" and make these ghosts appear on your screen lol

No, this is the one change that would make it even worse (by a lot) than it is right now. Even now some backmarkers try to take out the leaders unaware that they are a ghost, others serving penalties also try this and the amount of unsafe returns to track (both by the player and the reset to track system) would cause carnage if all were not ghosted, even now some unghost when the shouldn't and that causes enough issues.

The only thing about ghosts that I'd change is that low rated drivers should not be always ghosted, they should have the same system as everyone else and I cant believe that there is still different systems and rules in place depending on your DR/SR, as it's just bizarre that you would ever do this when you can get matched together in the same race.

Most races would end like this in T1 :lol:
365078.jpg

What does need to happen is SR Down for having to be ghosted and (a smaller) SR Down for driving through a ghost. People should not be relying on the ghosting system to save them, and certainly shouldn't be getting away with a failed dive bomb or side swipe by getting ghosted.

Riddle me this re: DR. I raced Red Bull Gr. 4 Monday several times. In the first race because I didn't know the limits, I was penalized twice for exceeding them. Other than that, clean. But... My DR went from 'C' (barely) to halfway down the 'D' scale. It's now Thursday and 8-10 races later, both Gr. 3 & 4. Two more track limit penalties, nothing against another car. I've advanced my position in each race 2-7 places.

My DR is still only halfway up the 'D' scale. What's up with that? Seriously, it hasn't budged. And yeah. I know I'm nowhere near the class driver around here. I'm a work in (very slow) progress. A point in my favor, My SR is 'S'. Something I've got to watch according to many posts.

Riddle me this re: DR. I raced Red Bull Gr. 4 Monday several times. In the first race because I didn't know the limits, I was penalized twice for exceeding them. Other than that, clean. But... My DR went from 'C' (barely) to halfway down the 'D' scale. It's now Thursday and 8-10 races later, both Gr. 3 & 4. Two more track limit penalties, nothing against another car. I've advanced my position in each race 2-7 places.

My DR is still only halfway up the 'D' scale. What's up with that? Seriously, it hasn't budged. And yeah. I know I'm nowhere near the class driver around here. I'm a work in (very slow) progress. A point in my favor, My SR is 'S'. Something I've got to watch according to many posts.
Your DR goes up or down depending on your finishing position in a race relative to the DR of your opponents. If you want your DR to go up, focus on finishing in the top half.

But... My DR went from 'C' (barely) to halfway down the 'D' scale.
You get a bonus for advancing a grade and a penalty for regressing a grade. I can't remember how much it is (1,300 or so), but it's enough that if you go from C down to D you will go halfway down D.
I've advanced my position in each race 2-7 places.

My DR is still only halfway up the 'D' scale. What's up with that?
How many places you gain isn't relevant. Where you finish, and the difference in DR between you and the other drivers, is all that matters.

In general you will lose DR if you finish with more drivers ahead of you than behind you, and you will gain it if you finish with more drivers behind you than ahead of you. However you will gain more if you beat drivers with a higher DR than you, and lose more if you lose to drivers with a lower DR than you. It's a very tricky calculation, but your best-case scenario is to win in a lobby where everyone's DR is higher than yours. Your minimum goal should be one place ahead of halfway, so more people finish behind you than ahead of you - though you can still lose DR here (especially if you are the top-ranked driver in the lobby).

As you mention you haven't had many penalties and your SR is S, what's the connection to the penalty system?

There are 2 variables
1. What your finishing position is
2. What your DR is relative to the other drivers you raced against

There are 3 rules
A. You will gain DR from every driver you finish in front of
B. You will loose DR to every driver who finishes ahead of you
C. The +/- of each DR transaction depends upon the difference between your DR and that specific driver's DR (you gain less/loose more if the driver has a lower rating, and vice versa for a higher rated driver compared to you)

Since you don't gain DR from passing, the best strategy is to qualify well and focus on maintaining your place/pace vs. passing. Let others make mistakes and take their spot to advance. This also helps with penalties/SR issues because you are avoiding incidents and not making people angry/aggressive via your attempts to pass them.

Last edited:
As you mention you haven't had many penalties and your SR is S, what's the connection to the penalty system?

I guess I thought the loss of DR was in itself a penalty. If the post was inappropriate, feel free to remove it (and the replies to it, of course).

Since I've only been playing the game for 2 1/2 years, I still don't know exactly what the programmers are telling the game poor sportsmanship is.
In this clip you can see that I was trying to be nice to the guy in front of me. I didn't need his position. I was trying for a clean race and 3rd was fine with me. The guy behind me was on another agenda, I guess. :indiff:

My ratings aren't terribly important to me. I can easily see how someone who does care would get frustrated enough to stop playing.

You have to use both the medium and hard tyres for this race.

Thanks guys. Yes I finally noticed about tyre requirement. On the same day I checked if there is another race slot available and yes I redo my race with knowing tyre requirement.

And guess what, I think that was my lucky day. I got first place from 7th to 1st. From all history of me playing GTS, this is first time I am getting 1st at FIA Nations race. Kinda boosting confidence for my skill level (and I am considering fully joining next season).

I kinda wanted to break something. The reason is I'm trying to do my very best to have clean races and get back to SR S.
The reply from PD was nope. Absolutely god damn not!

I'm not sure what else to do, except for drive around at the back of the pack, like a pussy, staying away from every other car. :mad:

I kinda wanted to break something. The reason is I'm trying to do my very best to have clean races and get back to SR S.

I'm not sure what else to do, except for drive around at the back of the pack, like a pussy, staying away from every other car. :mad:

ditch sport mode and join a league with people on this forum 👍.

Somehow got to nurse it through a couple races. That first video didnt get me anything last night while I was SR S. It is definitely punishing you for the low SR already.

I had to spend ages rolling a few race Cs in the end to make my way back the last couple of times I ended up down in the SR dumps. They definitely like to punish victims though.

Stop hanging around at the outside of the track begging to be rammed into? We all know the inside car gets the corner, force these idiots to ram you from directly behind and take the penalty themselves.

Ditch GTS and bake peanut butter chocolate chip cookies instead! I'm getting quite good at that, enjoying them right now with a Molson Canadian. Tlou2 is still keeping me entertained as well.

Uggghhh! I know you're right, but I hate the idea of doing that.
The biggest problem I have with that strategy is that I refuse to park it at the back. I want to still stay close and pick up positions if possible. Kept killing me at Fuji when I would get a penalty for someone spinning off, coming back and hitting me or losing it on the final turn. God only knows how bad it can be at Catalunya. I just know it takes massively too long and at too high a risk in race A. I did get CRB at a whopping 5 SR. When getting bumped wide twice the previous race cost me 7 by the end.

Stop hanging around at the outside of the track begging to be rammed into? We all know the inside car gets the corner, force these idiots to ram you from directly behind and take the penalty themselves.

I didn't see @sturk0167 "hanging around at the outside of the track" - it's ok racing on an ok line ! Don't know what to think about your advice. I for one hate this kind of perverted ( secure-the-corner- ) racing on ridiculously defensive lines just to outweigh the bs penalty and SR systems. That's just me though ...

I didn't see @sturk0167 "hanging around at the outside of the track" - it's ok racing on an ok line ! Don't know what to think about your advice. I for one hate this kind of perverted ( secure-the-corner- ) racing on ridiculously defensive lines just to outweigh the bs penalty and SR systems. That's just me though ...

I totally agree, you can't just drive around the inside all the time, you may as well not race if you have to do that to avoid the idiots and the stupid penalty system.

@sturk0167 Did those two idiots in those videos use the handbrake to help pull that crap, looks like it, this "trick" is certainly becoming more popular in races over here. :banghead:

Back