PENALTY SYSTEM IS STILL A PIECE OF ****!!!

Since I was stupid enough to get reset, let's just see how long it takes to get back to 99.
Starting 3,000 and 1
1) 5,862 and 52. CRB and back to B in ONE game, that will teach me.
2)7,127 and 69, another CBR, but 17 rather than 51 gain that makes sense.
3) 8,516 and 86, CRB is 17 apart from the bonus you get for being considered really dirty???????? Anyhoo 3 games for E to S and if I can keep it clean 4 games for 99
4) Bad race no fastest lap or CRB, but 9,789 and 99 so virtually B/S after 4 games.
Stats wise it's great, 4 poles, 4 wins and 3 fastest laps.
Now try that on race A 😄, I'm at 50 SR now after who knows how many races... It's only a couple points for a clean race, get wrecked and chances are you lose points again. My DR is already back up to 17,548.

DR going up is a problem since it seems DR discrimination still happens. If a DR.D or DR.C driver rams me, I get dinged SR...

Clean race at race A seems to be +3 SR. I had 3 in a row and went from 52 to 61 SR.

The next race I got caught between people fighting on the straights, from 61 to 35 SR, -26 SR for that race with laggy idiots.

Then tons of contact, got mauled a bunch of times, end up with clean race bonus and +5 SR to 40. It makes absolutely no sense.

Asking people why they drive dirty, I get the response, "I held my lane, should I just let you pass" (squeezing me off while making a pass on the straight. Driving in the middle, waiting for me to pick a side then push me off). It seems a lot of people play it like an fps, like the road is some territory to defend at all cost. It's really a failure on PDs part as the laughable etiquette videos is all there is. All evening again, every car I pass has to play tag, steer into me, try to push me into the wall.

So the only possible passes are in corners, out cornering other cars, which works fine in low SR. Straights are a battleground, where people play space invaders, negating any advantage from a better corner exit. Thus diving into corners is the only way to pass, or simply take a better line through the inside. (To then watch them oversteer trying to tag you driving on the inside and crash into the inside wall behind you)

Fission mailed yet again, too many mentally unstable idiots out in the evening. I ended the night at DR 21,546 SR 38. The last couple races had every car deliberately steer into me when passing. At least it's predictable, counter steering ready :/

Last edited:
I noticed the damndest thing about the current SR point penalty drops, if you are in a daily race and you hit someone with your front bumper / fenders you will see a drop in your SR points noted as a RED letter. Now this is the kicker, in a standing start like the Daily Race A and there is someone slow on the start you CANNOT avoid v hitting that racer and therefore you get dinged on SR points.
I've noticed that a lot of entrants to DR-A will have TCS on to what ever they think but it bogs them down on start, I honestly dropped 10 SR pts on just that I was forced to hit the person in front of me, that sucks bigtime.
Well, apparently that is definitely not a rule. Last week I did a race A at Bathurst. Started in pole, in the lead from start to finish. I was never behind another player. My front bumper or fenders never even saw another car. The player behind me kept trying to take me out every time they got a chance. Rammed me hard twice, in the Esses and then in The Chase. I somehow survived and finished first. I was red and they were blue. :lol:

Just unbelievable. I'm restoring my SR this evening on Spa. Wide track, easy to avoid people. Well not if the game resets them on top of you... I go through the chicane, all clear, suddenly hear a clunk from a car getting reset right on the racing line on top of me and end the race with a red B. I had no contact with any other cars (checked the replay to make sure), stayed on the track, no shortcut penalties. Yet I'm the one with a red rating in the room while all the side swipers get blue SR.

Ehh, this bug is only there since what, when the game came out. The more I play again, the less hope I have for GT7.

Last edited:
Just unbelievable. I'm restoring my SR this evening on Spa. Wide track, easy to avoid people. Well not if the game resets them on top of you... I go through the chicane, all clear, suddenly hear a clunk from a car getting reset right on the racing line on top of me and end the race with a red B. I had no contact with any other cars (checked the replay to make sure), stayed on the track, no shortcut penalties. Yet I'm the one with a red rating in the room while all the side swipers get blue SR.

Ehh, this bug is only there since what, when the game came out. The more I play again, the less hope I have for GT7.
Something is wrong if the car resets on top of you on the driving line, and it effects your SR rating and that seems stupid. Really the car should get reset just off the track.

Something is wrong if the car resets on top of you on the driving line, and it effects your SR rating and that seems stupid. Really the car should get reset just off the track.
It's an old bug. The car ghosts 1 frame after it gets placed on the track. If you happen to occupy the same space where the car gets reset, the game thinks you hit them.

You have to be careful at the penalty zone as well. The bug happened there too between 'ghosting' triggers. A car serving a penalty ghosts then when the time is served they (used to) unghost for 1 frame then ghost again until their speed is back up. If you have no room to avoid the ghost you risk getting a penalty for driving through them at the moment their penalty time is depleted.

It also happened with track re-entries. First the car is ghosted for being off track or sideways to the track direction. Then when getting back on the track the car would be solid for 1 frame between the transition to being ghosted for going too slow.

Maybe 2 and 3 have been fixed, at least 2 won't occur much anymore since most of the penalties are off. Yet always try to avoid ghosts and serve shortcut penalties out of the way.

I got another red rating in a later race and cant figure out why. I got dive bombed after the straight. Maybe he bumped me into the car in front of me. It looked like he just bumped us both off while using us to make the corner. He got blue SR of course, I ended up with red.

It will be a while to restore SR on SPA, it seems +4 is the max for a clean race. Better than last week, only +3 on Race A for a clean race. I don't mind it being more difficult to restore SR, (should be +3,+4,+5 for race A,B,C imo) yet the times it deducts SR should at least be correct. PD can't even get the simple cases (dive bombs) right. So SR mainly depends on the race and time you race at. Race C still gives too much SR, FIA races even more. And time of day is the biggest factor in getting a clean race or not, and thus possible incorrect SR deductions.

Last edited:
I just did race C, went wide once, no clean race bonus, yet my SR still jumped from 77 to 99. How does PD ever expect to balance anything when Race A and B, which are far more prone to contact as sprint races are worth 3 and 4 SR, while more relaxed race C is 22 SR or more. Basically you get 2 free total murder punts in race C (-10 SR if it even triggers)...

Last edited:
How about a mandatory pit stop penalty for the obvious intentional bad drivers?
You ram or punt, you are forced to a stop and go pitstop, I believe one of the earlier GT games had this as a penalty in their career races....

You ram or punt
Then the other car that got hit will end up doing a pit stop as well, then he/she would not a happy my friend.

Last edited:
PD are messing about with SR returns in Race C. A couple of weeks ago you were lucky to get 10+, this week you can get 25+ per race!

Maybe too many folks getting too low SR and without FIA races to get it back they had to do something to allow this ridiculous recovery system to continue.

They just need to reset this whole SR / Penalty system and start again with something a damn sight more suitable!

You ram or punt, you are forced to a stop and go pitstop, I believe one of the earlier GT games had this as a penalty in their career races....
We run into the usual issue of how does the game determine what is 'obvious intentional' bad driving, and not just late on the brakes, lost control or was distracted by the toddler trying to eat a fork. It might seem an easy thing to point out when we see it but it's clearly not simple to program or any number of racing games would of had it working, though GT has certainly been in a much better place than it is at the moment when it comes to this.

I would generally take a more strict approach that has some collateral damage than the ultra leniency we have now as the racing is at a pretty low standard currently.

Last edited:
PD are messing about with SR returns in Race C. A couple of weeks ago you were lucky to get 10+, this week you can get 25+ per race!

Maybe too many folks getting too low SR and without FIA races to get it back they had to do something to allow this ridiculous recovery system to continue.

They just need to reset this whole SR / Penalty system and start again with something a damn sight more suitable!
I got 72 SR in one game, 8 to 80 that's E to S. I know they stupidly give a bonus when on low SR, but think they really mucked it up.
Thing is even +10 is a bit high when you only have 99 points to play with.

I got 72 SR in one game, 8 to 80 that's E to S. I know they stupidly give a bonus when on low SR, but think they really mucked it up.
Thing is even +10 is a bit high when you only have 99 points to play with.
I graphed it out once, the bonus you get below 50 SR
3I1mIaD.png

This was on the Nord, what you would get for a clean race, worth 5 SR at 50 SR and above.
At 8 SR that was about 14.6 SR, 2.92x the normal amount. Thus 25 SR for race C would be 73 SR at 8 SR. So still the same accounting for rounding. At SR 1 you would get 82 SR for a clean race C, from 1 to 83 SR. Dropping your SR first is the fastest way to recover it.... A race worth 30 SR would promote you from 1 to 99 SR in a single race.

Oh my god the ramming right now is out of control. I've been doing weekly race 1 and the same players keep popping up and ruining the races. Two in a row I got rammed off the track - one I was fairly comfortable in first but some idiot clattered into me at the first hairpin going into final lap and totally spun me off. My DR rating has been decimated this morning because of them.

Oh my god the ramming right now is out of control. I've been doing weekly race 1 and the same players keep popping up and ruining the races. Two in a row I got rammed off the track - one I was fairly comfortable in first but some idiot clattered into me at the first hairpin going into final lap and totally spun me off. My DR rating has been decimated this morning because of them.
This is why I have a daily race account, I don't care what happens and will happily spend an entire race trying to get some idiot to quit. Sometimes you get a good race, but when I was looking for racing I used to get angry with this behaviour, now I just go with the flow. Want to race? if yes then great and if no we can play silly beggars.

Might be time to start naming and shaming people. I just had some idiot slam on the brakes when I was drafting him. It's genuinely getting to the point that I'm being spun out by cheats more than not. I get one race where I'm not rammed or spun out in every 3/4.

Might be time to start naming and shaming people. I just had some idiot slam on the brakes when I was drafting him. It's genuinely getting to the point that I'm being spun out by cheats more than not. I get one race where I'm not rammed or spun out in every 3/4.
There is no point though. You'll just be giving them what they want, attention.

You can try shame PD and Sony but they don't seem to care either what goes on in their contact free sports game.

I hear iRacing is nice :/

Yeah and if I had the set up to play that I would. Unfortunately this is the best most of us have access to and it's gone from being annoying to virtually unplayable. I definitely won't be rushing out to get GT7 and if it starts anywhere near as bad as this is now I'll probably never find out if it gets better.

Yeah and if I had the set up to play that I would. Unfortunately this is the best most of us have access to and it's gone from being annoying to virtually unplayable. I definitely won't be rushing out to get GT7 and if it starts anywhere near as bad as this is now I'll probably never find out if it gets better.
My hope is that it will start out with the serious (hopeful and naive) dedicated players. Best racing in GT Sport was at the start. The problem now is that most of the clean middle ground people have moved on or quit.

Sim Update 6 for FS2020 is out today. I'm debugging that currently lol. What did they brake this time. The spoilers so far and it's bloody dark now in the cockpit, I can't see my feet. (Well the pedals that is, no feet)

Last edited:
I haven't made it online with ACC yet (only really just started playing it), buy what maybe that system would be better? ie more strict about letting you online, and then more punitive when crashes happen?

As mentioned, whether this actually translates into better racing in ACC, I have no idea. It feels intuitively like it must.

GTSport online is almost unplayable because of the divebombing and ramming. It's more common in races than not.

I haven't made it online with ACC yet (only really just started playing it), buy what maybe that system would be better? ie more strict about letting you online, and then more punitive when crashes happen?

As mentioned, whether this actually translates into better racing in ACC, I have no idea. It feels intuitively like it must.

GTSport online is almost unplayable because of the divebombing and ramming. It's more common in races than not.
There is damage.

If PD can't police their star game, it will sink the franchise. As much as I miss occasionally bumping into GTP members in dailies, I can't continue to drive with honest intent only to have trolls ruin my DR/SR. My current feelings have been helped by my real life taking time away from any gaming I want to do. But before that, I had already transitioned to more Wreckfest & eyeing FH5 for my unused PC.

Last edited:
Has there been any reason or speculation on why PD did away with the penalty system and has failed to reinstate it for months now?

I don’t think they’ll bother with one for GT7 either. It’s not worth the agro to them let’s be honest, especially as GT7 will likely be more single player oriented.
It’s a shame because the penalty system and clean racing is one reason why I bought GTS in the first place having not played a racing game in over a decade.
If it wasn’t for finding GTP and a good group to race amongst, I would’ve likely given up on racing games for good.

Last edited:
It's pretty obvious to me by now that they cannot make a penalty system worthy of the name.
So unless GT7 comes with a shared fault system or a revelation that they can actually do so I might never run outside of lobbies again.

It's sad that the version of GT that aimed to be focused on online gameplay at the same time revealed that PD is incapable of making it enjoyable.

The lack of videos about "bad penalty system" for 6 months is good for GT7
This makes little sense to me as I play less and when I do I know the numbers are down. I'm already at the stage where I'll be waiting for feedback before buying GT7 when 4 months ago I was weighing up buying a PS5 to get it.
It's pretty obvious to me by now that they cannot make a penalty system worthy of the name.
So unless GT7 comes with a shared fault system or a revelation that they can actually do so I might never run outside of lobbies again.

It's sad that the version of GT that aimed to be focused on online gameplay at the same time revealed that PD is incapable of making it enjoyable.
If my internet allowed me to play lobbies things might be different, but I'm basically restricted to dailies and FIA. AND there's one of the biggest issues FIA won't allow shared blame and PD can't/won't make different rules for dailies and FIA. Shared blame and/or a good damage system (something far better than we have now, but TOCA managed 20 years ago) are the only decent solutions I can think of, but I'm doubtful you'll get anything for GT7.

This makes little sense to me as I play less and when I do I know the numbers are down. I'm already at the stage where I'll be waiting for feedback before buying GT7 when 4 months ago I was weighing up buying a PS5 to get it.
I doubt that PD Sells many copies of GTS anymore, with GT7 around the corner. And they don't make a single cent on the people playing online, they already bought the game.
So to them it would make.more sense with less players as long as it also means less complaints about the penalty system.
By shutting down the system they realistically purge the search algorithm for GTS on YouTube so the complaints about the penalty system is way down the search list when new prospective buyers of GT7 search before buying.

It's pretty smart albeit somewhat cynical if it's what they do. But even if it isn't, it's still the result.

Back